Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:25:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: After Dark.  (Read 1128 times)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
After Dark.
« on October 25, 2021, 12:11:06 am by Colin C No.3 »
I don’t want to high jack BB’s excellent post on which 3 members of the forum he would ask you would invite for dinner, but does anyone recall this ‘After Dark’ Channel 4 programme from the 80’s (?) which ‘invited guests’ from politics, the arts etc to gather together in a ‘relaxed’, after dinner sitting room kind of forum, with low lighting & seemingly alcohol provided should one wish to partake?

Billy Bragg (it seemed) was the last of the ‘angry young men left standing’ at the time. It’s viewing slot & time seemed to be around the time of the ‘outfall’ of the miners strikes & Maggie’s relentless pursuance to ‘crush’ all forms of trade union power & influence.

It seemed to me that they were the days of a dwindling voice from ‘the left’ at a time before Blair & indeed Corbyn when ‘you knew where you stood’ politically, no grey areas.

So, you are there under that ‘soft lighting’, after dark.

You can invite 4 other guests to join you to debate/discuss any matter that as ‘host’, you can ‘direct the foursome toward’.

I’ll kick off then.

James Rees-Mogg (oh I have so many points to put to you my ‘friend’!), Tony Blair (why did you…so many ‘why did you’s), Danny Boyle & finally (this has been difficult 4 choices) Paul Whitehouse.

None can leave unless you give leave or they can use their ‘get out clause’ & bare their arse to the camera.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 12:21:15 am by Colin C No.3 »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: After Dark.
« Reply #1 on October 25, 2021, 12:15:26 am by SydneyRover »
sheesh, hope none used the 'get out' clause

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 25, 2021, 12:31:51 am by Colin C No.3 »
Morning Syd, or is it afternoon where you are?

Either way, get the barbie on & crack open a Fossie.

Didn’t they have this format on ‘down under’ with Dame Edna ‘presiding’? I might be confusing it with ‘Neighbours After Dark’, it’s getting late here & the single malt is ‘kicking in’.

Remember ‘single malt’s’ Syd?

G’night me old possum.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 25, 2021, 01:57:59 am by SydneyRover »
Morning Syd, or is it afternoon where you are?

Either way, get the barbie on & crack open a Fossie.

Didn’t they have this format on ‘down under’ with Dame Edna ‘presiding’? I might be confusing it with ‘Neighbours After Dark’, it’s getting late here & the single malt is ‘kicking in’.

Remember ‘single malt’s’ Syd?

G’night me old possum.

Sorry cobber, fosters has gone the way of most of the sweet lagers and Edna spent more time in the UK where she was appreciated I think. There was an 'after dark' of some sort here but never saw it myself and as for whisky I prefer whiskey myself.

by the way, fosters UK was made to local taste.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 25, 2021, 03:35:52 am by scawsby steve »
I'll never forget when Oliver Reed turned up p*ssed out of his mind, and took the p*ss out of the feminist writer, Kate Millet.

The rest of the guests asked him to leave, and he staggered out of the studio.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 25, 2021, 07:41:03 am by Bentley Bullet »
I'll never forget when Oliver Reed turned up p*ssed out of his mind, and took the p*ss out of the feminist writer, Kate Millet.

I think I remember that. did she have a face like a freshly caught Trout?

BahrainRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 25, 2021, 11:16:57 am by BahrainRover »
Syd,

I prefered Carlton Crown or Tooheys New, as my choice beers during my time in Cronulla/Woolooware.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 25, 2021, 03:12:27 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Just found this picture taken from that show as she looked horrified as Oliver Reed tried to kiss her.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnryikP9qG128XJmur4V-OpYyHDbo0RdDizQ&usqp=CAU

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 28, 2021, 12:33:18 pm by sha66y »
Fascinating !
Til Linderman for Rock Poetry and philosophy
David Gahan for casual high’s and inevitable lows
James Mudriczki for how to tour and live on a budgets budget
Priti Patel for eye Candy politics and talking sincere

Bring it on
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 02:07:09 pm by sha66y »

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 28, 2021, 06:59:28 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Arthur Schopenhauer. Just to see if he really does hate the very core of humanity as much as me.

A toss up between Layne Staley and Maynard James Keenan. So long as i can avoid the heroine filled syringes dotted about the place. Guitar out and happy days. Slag off rap music for a few hours. Assuming he's (Staley) in a fit state to of course. Maynard has his own vineyard now and i'd get some free plonk if nowt else.

Chris Packham. One of us that lad. Totally get him.

Hard to find a third for a misanthrope like myself, but i'll go with George Carlin. Could do with a laugh.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 07:09:20 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 28, 2021, 09:48:25 pm by SydneyRover »
yep, watching shopping hour will do it.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 29, 2021, 05:19:53 am by SydneyRover »
Syd,

I prefered Carlton Crown or Tooheys New, as my choice beers during my time in Cronulla/Woolooware.

Opposite ends of the price list there, 'crownies' were a top shelf beer costing approx twice the price as a carton of tooheys. It has all changed BR, loads of craft beers all pretty much expensive but much preferred.

bahrain rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 29, 2021, 10:23:32 am by bahrain rover »
Syd, Yeah but taste is what I liked regardless of price.
Pleasantly shocked to see Til Linderman on the list, but I would like to listen to him also. I imagine quite a interesting man.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 29, 2021, 10:30:12 am by SydneyRover »
Syd, Yeah but taste is what I liked regardless of price.
Pleasantly shocked to see Til Linderman on the list, but I would like to listen to him also. I imagine quite a interesting man.

Haven't picked up the connection there BR?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 29, 2021, 10:38:59 am by SydneyRover »
I missed shaggy's comment, apologies.

Australia is a bit of a parochial backwater in a few respects, one of them is the best radio station imho jjj mainly looks after home grown talent and most of the good music progs are on pay for view channels. I listen to jjj in the car and as I don't drive a lot .............

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 29, 2021, 02:57:54 pm by Draytonian III »
Does anyone remember the episode of the James Whale show when Wayne ( I think ) ……….. the lead singer of The Mission was on, he was totally steaming and they had to go to an ad break to get rid of him

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 29, 2021, 06:18:50 pm by River Don »
So, going back to the original post and actually answering the question...

Bob Mortimer. For much the same sort of reasons Colin C picked Paul Whitehouse. Either would do really but Bob has a background I can more closely identify with. Or maybe Graham Fellows, AKA John Shuttleworth, if Bob isn't available.

Nigel Cabourne. You may not know him. He's a fashion designer from fashionable Scunthorpe. There aren't many designers with an obsession for WWII memorabilia, whose heroes include mountaineer Edward Mallory. Who runs a global clothing empire from, Not bloody London, Not bloody Milan but bloody Newcastle upon Tyne. He has a design background like me but he is a successful businessman too.

Georgio Locatelli. Well, someone has to sort dinner after, but also he is a successful businessman and has a strong interest in the arts.

And... Maybe Paul Heaton but I already have creatives. Maybe Ken Clarke, a senior Tory MP actually with a human side I think, who likes jazz and suede shoes. Maybe Andy Haldane, a Yorkshire lad steeped in economics who made it all the way to the Post of chief Economist at the BoE and I think still has a care for ordinary people. Caroline Lucas perhaps? As much to pick holes in her arguments as to agree with them.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 29, 2021, 06:31:38 pm by idler »
Twiggy, Mahatma Ghandi and Lester Piggot.
There'd be loads of seconds for me.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 07:11:52 pm by idler »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 29, 2021, 06:35:52 pm by River Don »
Twiggy, Mahama Ghandi and Lester Piggot.

Only Twiggy alive, so not much conversation. And you have one more pick.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on October 29, 2021, 06:53:31 pm by Draytonian III »

Lester Piggott is still alive

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 29, 2021, 06:56:44 pm by River Don »

Lester Piggott is still alive

Blimey! I would never have guessed.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012