Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 12:16:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Crewe Alexandra game  (Read 13925 times)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Crewe Alexandra game
« Reply #60 on November 01, 2021, 08:28:51 am by roversdude »
Think anyone would notice if we played 5-5-3

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on November 01, 2021, 08:50:22 am by drfchound »
Very slim chance of us winning 3 out of 3.
I imagine we haven’t done that for well over a year.
We’re only 4 points from safety, win against Crewe and it’s 1.

We won 5 league games on the bounce as recently as Jan/Feb this year under the apparently useless Moore. Immediately prior to that we'd won 4 on the bounce in December.
I do wonder if Wellens ever watches matches of the opposition to see where their strenghts and weaknesses are - because he seems to set the team up to play the same way whoever we are playing. With predictable results.

Loosing matches doesnt concern me. Loosing matches and not learning from that does.

This is a big point.

Home or away. Against top or bottom, we line up 4-4-3.

And what's the consequence of that?

Eureka.
The consequence of playing 4-4-3 is that we aren’t playing a keeper.
No wonder we are shipping lots of goals.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on November 01, 2021, 09:28:47 am by normal rules »
Just looked at tickets for this game.
£25!
Jesus.
I follow it is .

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on November 01, 2021, 01:31:13 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Hope we give them a pasting and they get relegated. Absolute bunch of clueless w**kers. Denying us ifollow tomorrow. Cracking business decision Crewe. Total numpties. Come on Rovers, lets smash these pussies.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on November 01, 2021, 01:49:02 pm by GazLaz »
Crewe are slightly worse than us on the numbers. If we replicate our home to any extent we should get a result. We need to be brave early and starve them of the ball. They are very similar to us, if they get their own way they are ok on the ball, as soon as you get at them they creek.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on November 01, 2021, 01:58:42 pm by Upton Rover »
We’ve got 31 games left mate,
What happens in the next 4 isn’t going to decide whether we’re relegated or not
I think you are wrong there, can’t see us staying up with RW in charge if we lose the next 4 games we are doomed and the board will still back RW the club is in a crisis

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on November 01, 2021, 02:24:39 pm by foxbat »
my ticket has arrived fir Crewe. a bit apprehensive,  not a total 'must win ' , but not far off. Losing would be hard to take and make for a very miserable drive back.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on November 01, 2021, 06:02:15 pm by drfchound »
As the saying goes, the first goal in a game is vital.
For tomorrow’s match, with two teams seriously lacking in confidence, the first goal will be incredibly important.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on November 01, 2021, 06:10:04 pm by Chris Black come back »
Interesting that of our two away league goals this season, both have put us in front. Rowe at Wigan and Hiwula at Plymouth. Both games ended in 2-1 defeats.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on November 01, 2021, 06:11:43 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Yep. Gave their lads acres of space for both Wigan goals and then gifted Argyle the win with comedy defending. In short, we're shit.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on November 01, 2021, 06:35:24 pm by rich1471 »
£25!
Jesus.
I follow it is .
ifollow only audio ,but that will be bad enough

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on November 01, 2021, 06:37:41 pm by rich1471 »
£25!
Jesus.
I follow it is .
ifollow only audio ,but that will be bad enough
3 of us was going to go but £30 petrol, £75 tickets plus food and beer best part of £150 for us all

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on November 01, 2021, 07:20:04 pm by ForsolongaRover »
Today’s DFP Article seems to imply that Wellens has only recently decided that Rovers need to be more difficult to beat away from home.

There is also an implication that he can refashion his line-up to achieve this.

I wonder how realistic either aspiration is.

I was struck by Big H’s comment who expressed his shock when he saw them for the first time this season at Wigan, a reaction similar to mine at the Wimbledon game. I kept thinking we’ll see some good football soon, but it never came.

And have they actually got much better since those early games? Goals have come mainly from pressure play, rather than out and out good football.

It is so difficult to discern the strengths (if any) of many of the players.

Cameron John, who was not outstanding alongside his previous seasons’ team mates has a footballing brain which comes out in his comments when he’s on iFollow commentary and he is needed now -urgently.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on November 01, 2021, 07:51:19 pm by normal rules »
We’ve got 31 games left mate,
What happens in the next 4 isn’t going to decide whether we’re relegated or not
I think you are wrong there, can’t see us staying up with RW in charge if we lose the next 4 games we are doomed and the board will still back RW the club is in a crisis

See my earlier quote about where we are points per game wise pre Crewe.
If rovers lose the next four games, things start looking very grim. 39 points from 27 games would be needed which pushes the ppg requirement to 1.44. That’s pretty much into win one lose one, territory. Draws aside of course.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on November 02, 2021, 06:14:08 am by Bailey Vickerage »
I don’t think we’re in as bad of a position as ppl are making out, win tonight and we’re 1 point off safety and also a good chance of going through in both cups, with us also getting Close, Fej, John and Taylor back after the break. Tonight is a must win tho because the pressure is increasing rapidly on RW.

I don’t think he will go with this but what I’d go with is:

Dahlberg

Knoyle Anderson Olowu Horton

Bostock Galbraith

Vilca Rowe Hiwula

Dodoo

Rowe has played further up the pitch in his last couple of games and will probs be there again with our troubles infront of goal. Williams was poor again on Saturday and needs a break from the team so would go with Olowu alongside Anderson and give Horton another chance in the side.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on November 02, 2021, 09:39:26 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Gameday!

Shit. I'm nervous.

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on November 02, 2021, 10:02:25 am by DRCraig »
Gameday!

Shit. I'm nervous.
yes. Matchday.I am confident. Mainly because Crewe are poor. 4-2 to us. Come on Doncaster.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on November 02, 2021, 10:54:21 am by Canadian Rover »
I predict a 3-0 win for the Rovers tonight.

Hiluwa, Dodoo x 2

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on November 02, 2021, 11:25:39 am by since-1969 »
I predict a 3-0 win for the Rovers tonight.

Hiluwa, Dodoo x 2
Are giving odds . 33-1 on Sky
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 11:27:48 am by since-1969 »

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on November 02, 2021, 11:28:49 am by RugbyRover »
I don’t think we’re in as bad of a position as ppl are making out, win tonight and we’re 1 point off safety and also a good chance of going through in both cups, with us also getting Close, Fej, John and Taylor back after the break. Tonight is a must win tho because the pressure is increasing rapidly on RW.

Dahlberg

Bostock Galbraith

Vilca Rowe Hiwula

Dodoo

Rowe has played further up the pitch in his last couple of games and will probs be there again with our troubles infront of goal. Williams was poor again on Saturday and needs a break from the team so would go with Olowu alongside Anderson and give Horton another chance in the side.

I'd agree with you about Williams and Horton and the back four. I'd change things slightly in midfield. I'd also give Dahlberg a rest. He seems to be getting worse not better.

Jones

Knoyle Olowu Anderson Horton

Galbraith Smith Rowe

Vilca Dodoo Hiwula

It's quite sobering seeing so many poor individuals in the team, even when the injuries clear up it doesn't look much better.

Jones

Galbraith Anderson John Horton

Close Rowe Smith

Taylor Dodoo Hiwula

maybe just enough to drag us out of the bottom four...

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on November 02, 2021, 11:29:09 am by selby »
  Artell came here the last time I saw them play at the Keepmoat and had his side play a Physical game against us and went away with the spoils.
  He has hinted in a pre match interview they have been too nice and playing open football, and he like everybody else knows that we seem to be easily got at in a physical stop start game. I expect a hard game and I don't think they will be that disposed to be playing an open expansive game.
  We have to come to terms with our own weakness's man up and compete or we will continue to be an easy touch especially away from home.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on November 02, 2021, 12:01:51 pm by steve@dcfd »
If Bostock is not fit or can only make the bench and thinking out the box not sure if Olowu can do it heres my team.

Dalhgard

Knoyle.   Williams.       Anderson.    Horton

Olowu.    Galbraith

Vilca.            Rowe.       Hiwula

Dodoo       

Jones
Blythe
Bostock?
Smith
Hassani
Barlow
Cukur

Or he plays 352 with Knoyle and Horton wing backs Galbraith Rowe and Smith in midfield and two from Vilca, Dodoo and Hiwula,
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 12:05:07 pm by steve@dcfd »

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on November 02, 2021, 12:30:42 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
  Artell came here the last time I saw them play at the Keepmoat and had his side play a Physical game against us and went away with the spoils.
  He has hinted in a pre match interview they have been too nice and playing open football, and he like everybody else knows that we seem to be easily got at in a physical stop start game. I expect a hard game and I don't think they will be that disposed to be playing an open expansive game.
  We have to come to terms with our own weakness's man up and compete or we will continue to be an easy touch especially away from home.

i was thinking this morning about that Crewe defeat    Rovers had beaten ipswich 4-1 midweek in a matchwhen eveything went in the net which translated into Coleman language as a fluke Whiteman dominated the game from memory   but  we all expected to beat Crewe on the saturday.

i remember people saying Crewe played football until they got ahead ... then IMMEDIATELY (AS PRE-PLANNED ?)went jekyl & hide as you say ..... they didnt start that way

just checked the stats for that game and it wants us to believe rovers committed 19 fouls to their 9
and we got 1 yellow and they got nil

https://www.google.com/search?q=doncaster+1+crewe+2&oq=doncaster+1+crewe+2&aqs=chrome..69i57.7313j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sie=m;/g/11jxqmf2mf;2;/m/0355sz;dt;fp;1;;

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on November 02, 2021, 12:31:36 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Today’s DFP Article seems to imply that Wellens has only recently decided that Rovers need to be more difficult to beat away from home.

There is also an implication that he can refashion his line-up to achieve this.

I wonder how realistic either aspiration is.

I was struck by Big H’s comment who expressed his shock when he saw them for the first time this season at Wigan, a reaction similar to mine at the Wimbledon game. I kept thinking we’ll see some good football soon, but it never came.

And have they actually got much better since those early games? Goals have come mainly from pressure play, rather than out and out good football.

It is so difficult to discern the strengths (if any) of many of the players.

Cameron John, who was not outstanding alongside his previous seasons’ team mates has a footballing brain which comes out in his comments when he’s on iFollow commentary and he is needed now -urgently.

The most disappointing aspect of this season (and f**k me there's some competition...) is our total inability to grit out the odd draw away from home. Even the very worst sides can be set up to park the bus and grind out points from unlikely circumstances. We have rarely ever looked capable of doing that. You can pretty much guarantee in every away match the the opposition are going to get a minimum of 3-4 very good chances and given our total inability to defend aerial balls into the box, and Dahlberg's tendency to make one major f**k up per game, that means that keeping a clean sheet has been highly unlikely.

We simply HAVE to be set up to prevent the opposition from playing in away matches. If that means playing with 9 men behind the ball for 90 minutes, so be it.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on November 02, 2021, 12:33:26 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
yes and elbows in the pencil sharpeners pre-match

do unto others as they do unto us

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on November 02, 2021, 12:36:15 pm by Bailey Vickerage »

Dahlberg

Bostock Galbraith

Vilca Rowe Hiwula

Dodoo

I'd agree with you about Williams and Horton and the back four. I'd change things slightly in midfield. I'd also give Dahlberg a rest. He seems to be getting worse not better.

Jones

Knoyle Olowu Anderson Horton

Galbraith Smith Rowe

Vilca Dodoo Hiwula

It's quite sobering seeing so many poor individuals in the team, even when the injuries clear up it doesn't look much better.

Jones

Galbraith Anderson John Horton

Close Rowe Smith

Taylor Dodoo Hiwula

maybe just enough to drag us out of the bottom four...

The main team after the international will probably be something like this:

Dahlberg

Knoyle Anderson John Rowe

Bostock Galbraith

Taylor Close Hiwula

Fej

Subs:
Jones
Williams
Olowu
Smith
Vilca
Dodoo
Cukur

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on November 02, 2021, 01:49:48 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
With the ongoing injuries, particularly with Close now missing, it limits RWs options even further.

It's going to be another tough one and certainly we'll need plenty of grit and determination to get a result.

It's not a must win. No game is a must win until the second half of the season but one we'd hope we can at least match Crewe.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on November 02, 2021, 01:53:40 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Draw, I reckon.

Won't be one for the purists!

First away point on the board would do me.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on November 02, 2021, 01:56:23 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Anything less than a win tonight and Saturdays FA Cup tie should be a face off between caretaker managers.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on November 02, 2021, 02:03:48 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Anything less than a win tonight and Saturdays FA Cup tie should be a face off between caretaker managers.

Do you have only the one broken record in your collection?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012