Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:35:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: What do you miss most about Belle vue?.  (Read 4127 times)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
What do you miss most about Belle vue?.
« on November 23, 2021, 07:02:21 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Has anybody got stories of old players, staff, games that stick in the mind?.
Is there anybody on here that goes back to the forties, fifties era that could share what players were like back then?.
Anything goes post.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
Re: What do you miss most about Belle vue?.
« Reply #1 on November 23, 2021, 07:21:01 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
the humbugs

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 23, 2021, 07:23:47 pm by GazLaz »
Steve Evans getting chinned.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 23, 2021, 07:25:27 pm by scawsby steve »
Has anybody got stories of old players, staff, games that stick in the mind?.
Is there anybody on here that goes back to the forties, fifties era that could share what players were like back then?.
Anything goes post.

Sammy, as a kid I first started watching Rovers in 1956. That team included Alick and Harry Gregg, both world class, prolific goal scorer Bert Tindill, and flying wingers Johnny Mooney and Ronnie Walker.

They were managed by Peter Doherty, and were IMO the greatest Rovers side ever.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 23, 2021, 07:34:29 pm by Drover »
Not a story but going on title what you miss about Belle vue,I miss laughing at the away teams going down the wrong tunnel at half time,the owl coming out during a match,the away fans getting wet in the cage on Rosso end if it rained,the banter between away fans and us when the police/stewards moved the away fans onto the mainstand terrace if it was raining,and I miss some seasons getting a good quality hot drink and food at reasonable prices,including ocassionally getting a free pie/burger on your way out from the mainstand terrace.  :scarf:

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 23, 2021, 07:39:36 pm by sha66y »
The smell of piss!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 23, 2021, 07:42:48 pm by IDM »
Winning.!

builder jon

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 23, 2021, 07:47:41 pm by builder jon »
walking from one end to the other just before halftime to get a good position.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 23, 2021, 07:52:20 pm by Red wizard »
I only started going in the mid 80,s with my brother and tbh I never wanted to go. We wasn't very good, crowds was around 2.5k and as soon as we got a good player like Rufus Brevet, Mark Ranckine, they was sold. I was only young so didn't understand so much of how the game worked. One thing I remember and still to this day I get flash backs whenever it happens. The smell, the smell of the burgers and what not. If I walk past a burger van it always brings back memories. It wasn't all bad, I am one of a few hundred who saw k Brady play and score a great goal at scunny. Mike Jeffrey scoring for fun at the end of one season  when we was down near the bottom to help us climb the table. Think he was on loan from Bolton to start. Then uncle Ken did what he did and I remember going to our first couple of ho.e games in the conference. I couldn't believe how many fans we got. We was around the 4 k Mark maybe more. My brother flew the match ball in that season on the f.a Cup v Rushden. Proud moment. And we just went from strength to strength. Qas a great time and after gaining promotion and seeing all the kids playing on fields around town with rovers tops on. That never happened, you just felt we was on a roll and JR did a great job among others to build our club up from been a shambles to a side you was proud of. I never thouhht id miss belle Vue until that first few games at the keepmoat and was no longer able to just move to where my mates was or my brothers. I had to choose mates or brothers. Hated it.

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 23, 2021, 07:54:55 pm by andy didcott »
Nothing.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 23, 2021, 08:01:34 pm by MachoMadness »
The prices!

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 23, 2021, 08:14:48 pm by The Beast »
The prices!
The walk to the ground from town. The feeling of freedom, been able to stand and move about. 

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 23, 2021, 08:31:05 pm by belton rover »
Standing against the wall. I did it with my dad as a kid behind the goal in the 70s and early 80s. Went to the back of the Pop Stand in my teens/early 20s, then went back to the wall towards the Rosso end when I started taking my kids.

That and the walk from and to Cantley.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 23, 2021, 10:02:35 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
The pitch.

The rest of it was way past it's best before date by the time we left.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 24, 2021, 10:23:45 am by ditch_drfc »
The pitch and how close you were to it. The ground itself, yeah it was shabby but it was our ground, our home. How when you went to get tickets there would always be someone like JR knocking about. Went in to buy a ticket and it was after we'd beaten Barnsley in 2004/5 around 5 nil I think, JR came up to me and just started chatting. I was only a kid at the time and remember him saying how we'd given them the Barnsley Chop

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 24, 2021, 02:46:56 pm by ctay »
The memories.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 24, 2021, 03:25:54 pm by Goole Rover »
I miss the people who are no longer with us who were with you at every match.
Also the humour. What about the elderly St John’s Ambulance man who went running onto the wet surface to assist an injured player when he went head over heels he was laid out when some wag shouted “get a first aid man on to get the first aid man off”.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 24, 2021, 03:28:53 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Shoutybags.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 24, 2021, 04:24:05 pm by ravenrover »
My youth

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 24, 2021, 09:47:38 pm by wesisback »
The burgers, our midfield now has more Beef in it than those burgers but in their absolute filthiness they were incredible. Onions an absolute necessity, added bonus if you got a close up view of any of our fans getting t**tted with a ball on the way to or from the refreshment box.
I'm not ashamed to say that for the past four years now I've only done away games and not paid to go to a single game at the Keepmoat. I'd rate it as one of the worst grounds I've ever visited in terms of atmosphere, concessions and overall experience.
The saving in not doing any home games has also allowed me to squeeze some great grounds in that I'm unlikely to ever visit with Rovers.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 24, 2021, 10:00:56 pm by scawsby steve »
My youth

That's exactly what BB and Wolfie said; but they were talking about the Intake Ground.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on November 24, 2021, 10:07:44 pm by Pancho Regan »
A pie and a pint in the Park Hotel before walking to the ground.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 25, 2021, 06:50:02 pm by idler »
The burgers, our midfield now has more Beef in it than those burgers but in their absolute filthiness they were incredible. Onions an absolute necessity, added bonus if you got a close up view of any of our fans getting t**tted with a ball on the way to or from the refreshment box.
I'm not ashamed to say that for the past four years now I've only done away games and not paid to go to a single game at the Keepmoat. I'd rate it as one of the worst grounds I've ever visited in terms of atmosphere, concessions and overall experience.
The saving in not doing any home games has also allowed me to squeeze some great grounds in that I'm unlikely to ever visit with Rovers.
The problem with that Wes is that if everyone felt like that you wouldn’t have the Rovers to watch in an away game,

the dons

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 25, 2021, 07:05:24 pm by the dons »
Everything, Just like I miss TATTERSFIELD.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on November 25, 2021, 07:07:28 pm by roversdude »
Pancho that’s one of my biggest misses too

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on November 25, 2021, 07:15:08 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
I don't miss the two bus journey from Cusworth. One into town, then a walk to the other side of town to get the bus to Belle Vue. Sometimes we'd walk it down Bennethorpe.

Proper raw dilapidated old school ground though with all the sounds and smells you'd expect that you remember with fondness as a teenager. Especially night games on the popside.

Pulling onto the old gravelly car park if my mates old man was good enough to take us and seeing the floodlights and fans milling around. Then walk round the back of the ground to get to the popside turnstile.

Most of my mates being Wendies fans. This was the era of Mark Rankine, Colin Douglas, Snodin brothers, Rufus Brevett etc. I remember my first away game being around Christmas at Scunny and everyone was wearing those santa hats. I'm sure the away end at Glanford Park used to be terrace. We stood behind the goal anyway.

Great memories of that era. Billy Bremner and all that.

Agree though with one poster. The Keepmoat is one of the most soulless grounds i have set foot in. Around the ground too is moribund. Featureless.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 08:11:51 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 25, 2021, 07:18:24 pm by Sprotyrover »
I miss the'RAT BURGERS' and warm Wards beer that stunk and looked brown like toilet water.

Armthorpe mickler

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 25, 2021, 07:37:39 pm by Armthorpe mickler »
Standing on the pop side and changing ends. Watching the game as you queued for a pie.Better than the souless Keepmoat.The pitch was done by that ICI grit we put on it in 85 to get a game on against Walsall because they had'nt had any gate money for three weeks.

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on November 25, 2021, 08:33:35 pm by Chris the Rover »
The high class toilet facilities - especially the outdoor ones at the Town End.

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on November 26, 2021, 10:08:17 am by DRCraig »
Everything. Because I went there so many times. It creates memories. That said, I am glad we moved, We had to. Obviously.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012