Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:45:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Can we manage to scrap our way out

Not a chance while RW is manager
45 (33.3%)
Maybe with some additions in the window
70 (51.9%)
Yes the squad is good enough need a new manager
2 (1.5%)
Absolutely RW can turn it around
18 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Voting closed: November 30, 2021, 11:01:37 pm

Author Topic: Staying up  (Read 3939 times)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
Staying up
« on November 23, 2021, 11:01:37 pm by phil old leake »
I’m just interested to get peoples personal views as I have only managed 1 game this season so I can’t judge how bad we are. I have to rely on my fellow fans

Are there 4 teams worse than us in the league

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Re: Staying up
« Reply #1 on November 23, 2021, 11:04:16 pm by since-1969 »
I’m just interested to get peoples personal views as I have only managed 1 game this season so I can’t judge how bad we are. I have to rely on my fellow fans

Are there 4 teams worse than us in the league
No there’s not there’s only 1 !!

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 23, 2021, 11:07:46 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Unless we start picking up points away we have no chance. Puts a lot of pressure on home games, where we have been less than convincing. All home wins being by the odd goal.

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 23, 2021, 11:13:44 pm by no eyed deer »
After 10 games the table doesn’t lie. After 19 it tells  the truth.

The board has until January to show what direction this club is going !!!

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 23, 2021, 11:15:27 pm by since-1969 »
Unless we start picking up points away we have no chance. Puts a lot of pressure on home games, where we have been less than convincing. All home wins being by the odd goal.
Surly what you are saying is being noted by the board . I would hope they thought things would be more competitive and results with small squad would be more mixed but manageable . I can’t remember if a team has stayed up with just its home points to keep them up , but it’s very much looking like this is the journey we’re on !

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 23, 2021, 11:16:58 pm by since-1969 »

What sort of player can we attract with relegation on the cards !!

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 23, 2021, 11:18:03 pm by no eyed deer »

Ask Baldwin !!

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 23, 2021, 11:18:59 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

And given that Richie is the one identifying them and bringing them in. Nearly all his additions thus far have actually worsened the team.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 23, 2021, 11:23:26 pm by drfchound »
I thought we had a relent identification bloke.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 23, 2021, 11:25:06 pm by dickos1 »

And given that Richie is the one identifying them and bringing them in. Nearly all his additions thus far have actually worsened the team.

Are you for real?
When wellens took over we didn’t have enough players to fill a team so how has he worsened it?

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 23, 2021, 11:27:35 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
The players he has brought in aren't good enough for L1. By and large. Never mind me not being for real. Cukur isn't even for real. He's a statue. Richie not only brought him in but continues to put him on the pitch. Truly astonishing behaviour.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 23, 2021, 11:30:39 pm by dickos1 »
You said his signings had made the side worse, which is impossible. Look at the squad he had when he took over.
It’s not worse now is it.
You’ve now changed your argument to one player,
Galbraith, close, knoyle, smith, hiwulu, owulu, are all comfortably good enough for league one

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 23, 2021, 11:32:12 pm by Bessie Red »

You can attract any player if the money is right!

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 23, 2021, 11:38:11 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
You said his signings had made the side worse, which is impossible. Look at the squad he had when he took over.
It’s not worse now is it.
You’ve now changed your argument to one player,
Galbraith, close, knoyle, smith, hiwulu, owulu, are all comfortably good enough for league one

Hiwula is not L1 standard. Smith neither. Cukur is dogshit. Dodoo is not L1 standard. Vilca isn't good enough either. Knoyle i'm having doubts about. In the main, his additions have been really poor.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 23, 2021, 11:48:36 pm by dickos1 »
Hiwulu is proven at this level,
Smith is comfortably good enough for league 1
Along with Galbraith, close, knoyle,
Ridiculous to say none of his signings are good enough for league 1

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 24, 2021, 12:02:39 am by Bessie Red »
Hiwulu is proven at this level,
Smith is comfortably good enough for league 1
Along with Galbraith, close, knoyle,
Ridiculous to say none of his signings are good enough for league 1
Also Dodoo has played over 80 games in league 1 and 20 in the SPL for Rangers.

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 24, 2021, 12:14:46 am by Pliskin »
Based on performances to date, most of his signings have been absolutely pants. Maybe only 3 or 4 of them would be good enough get into any of our previous teams in the seasons we've been back in League 1.

Maybe I'm wrong and they are actually good players being made to look crap by bad management.

Either way, he's doing a shit job.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 24, 2021, 05:06:31 am by keith79 »
Get to January and sign a few players. Keep the faith.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on November 24, 2021, 06:02:12 am by steve@dcfd »
The CEO and owners brought in a manager and players with the right DNA according to Gavin. The problem the funds were and are not good enough. I’ve got no faith we will get the players we need in January who ever is the manager. The level of players we can attract is declining the club is decaying on the pitch. But as long as there is a club then that’s all the owners care about we will be in league two next season.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 24, 2021, 06:40:03 am by Upton Rover »
Change the manager if we have the slightest chance of staying up, but that won’t happen, I am sure the board will already be looking at a budget for l2 and RW at the helm

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on November 24, 2021, 07:01:37 am by dickos1 »
Based on performances to date, most of his signings have been absolutely pants. Maybe only 3 or 4 of them would be good enough get into any of our previous teams in the seasons we've been back in League 1.

Maybe I'm wrong and they are actually good players being made to look crap by bad management.

Either way, he's doing a shit job.

Comparing to our other sides is nonsensical,
In July we had 7 players, and a large portion of the budget was taken up with those 7 players due to poor signings by the previous manager.
We had little money available to sign the needed 9 or 10 players

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 24, 2021, 07:09:09 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Don’t think we’ll stay up with Wellens in charge. As others have said the recruitment has been poor in key areas abd where he has brought proven players in they haven’t reached anywhere near the level expected. This is the managers job.

Injuries recently have become an issue for sure but every club in the country has that it’s about getting results. Unless we play Scunny every week we won’t pick up enough results.

That said I’m not 100% sure any other manager could turn us around now however I’d probably trust them more to get anything out of any January signings than Wellens. So it’s for the board really. Do they want to throw money at Wellens and potentially have to sack him or bring someone in who will be here longer.

If we go down keeping Wellens would be a very brave decision. What have we seen this year to suggest he can 1 get the type of players we need and 2 get them playing well so we get results.  Nothing IMO

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 24, 2021, 07:11:31 am by dickos1 »
Injuries are obviously an issue for everyone else, but not everyone else is trying to cope with these with a tiny tiny squad.
Bolton have a load of injuries but their starting 11 is still a strong one for example

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 24, 2021, 07:18:39 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Injuries are obviously an issue for everyone else, but not everyone else is trying to cope with these with a tiny tiny squad.
Bolton have a load of injuries but their starting 11 is still a strong one for example

Forget yesterday’s game in isolation. Our injuries haven’t been any worse than you’d expect for a club at this level.

Do you think our results are good enough for the team we put out most weeks? Essentially is second bottom with a hopeless air around the team what you’d expect? I think we should be doing better and the manager has to take some scrutiny for that.

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 24, 2021, 07:34:14 am by Arsenal Of The North »
If RW had a fully fit squad and was still in this position, I’d be calling for him to go, but when you can barley string a first 11 together, it’s hard for anyone

Look at the team last night, Jones, olowu, Horton, smith, Galbraith, Barlow, all around the 20yo mark, not to mention the bench!

Because of our injuries RW has had it as tough as any rovers manager I can think of, it’s woeful at the minute, I think there is a lot of questions about the recruitment in the summer, but we desperately need to get to January in touch of the pack, beef up the team, and push on from there.

Look at Bolton in league 2 last season, bottom until January but we’re able to kick on and get promoted in the 2nd half of the season. Not saying we will do that….. but we could climb the table with ease.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on November 24, 2021, 07:41:22 am by pib »
If RW had a fully fit squad and was still in this position, I’d be calling for him to go, but when you can barley string a first 11 together, it’s hard for anyone

Look at the team last night, Jones, olowu, Horton, smith, Galbraith, Barlow, all around the 20yo mark, not to mention the bench!

Because of our injuries RW has had it as tough as any rovers manager I can think of, it’s woeful at the minute, I think there is a lot of questions about the recruitment in the summer, but we desperately need to get to January in touch of the pack, beef up the team, and push on from there.

Look at Bolton in league 2 last season, bottom until January but we’re able to kick on and get promoted in the 2nd half of the season. Not saying we will do that….. but we could climb the table with ease.

Bolton weren’t bottom of L2 at any stage last season.

You must be thinking of Burton in L1 who struggled for a long while before improving and finishing mid table.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 24, 2021, 07:41:59 am by normal rules »
I did not think Bolton were anything special last night.
Shrewsbury, Crewe,  Gilligham all struggling.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 24, 2021, 07:42:22 am by Alan Southstand »
Recruitment has been poor? We can’t afford good recruitment!

We can’t afford to sack Wellens and we certainly will not be able to afford any new manager you care to mention!

The heirarchy have reached their limit of what is possible. We are in a hole and it’s getting deeper every week.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on November 24, 2021, 08:37:27 am by dickos1 »

Forget yesterday’s game in isolation. Our injuries haven’t been any worse than you’d expect for a club at this level.

Do you think our results are good enough for the team we put out most weeks? Essentially is second bottom with a hopeless air around the team what you’d expect? I think we should be doing better and the manager has to take some scrutiny for that.

When you’ve a squad as light as ours then of course injuries will have an effect.
We’ve consistently had 5/6 players out every week this season

KC_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on November 24, 2021, 08:40:35 am by KC_DRFC »
The Poll needs another option. Not a chance we're staying up. But it doesn't matter who's in charge.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012