Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:08:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Burton Albion game  (Read 5779 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Burton Albion game
« on November 24, 2021, 11:31:53 am by selby »
  The third of four away games coming after a disappointing game at Bolton (we again got a team out of sorts back up and running) and now we hit a team that had not had a win in four up to last night but got back on track with a comprehensive 4-0 win v Accrington, so will be full of confidence meeting us when we could be even more depleted through the suspension of Owulu.
  This is a big problem, do we play Rowe as an emergency central defender, or throw Blythe or Faulkner in. whoever does play will have his hands full against Jebbison on loan from Sheffield United and strongly wanted by supporters in the know here in pre season and looks like he would have been a good shout, And Smith who also cracked two in v Accrington.
  So they have got what we have not, players who know where the onion bag is. Last nights game I cannot comment on the first half  not seeing it, so missed the good bit, what I did see was lots of effort by ten men, but desperate play with no ambition or ability going forward. The work rate could not be faulted, attacking ability and controlled football were completely missing,Bolton at times,no great team themselves, looked two divisions higher quality than we did.
  Now we have to put it behind us and start all over again and try to put a little unbeaten run of results together.
   Are we capable of doing that?
   I would gamble on Faulkner playing, would you?
   Are any of our walking wounded likely to be fit enough to start?
   Are we capable of challenging Burton for the points?
   Are we capable of looking dangerous in the oppositions penalty area?
  Lots to discuss about this game, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Burton Albion game
« Reply #1 on November 24, 2021, 11:48:53 am by selby »
  One thing about being the author of  these threads, I get about a thousand more hits to read the thread when we lose than when we manage to get a draw or rarely a win. Funny that, losing must inspire people to read about the Rovers I suppose, I wonder what they do when we do rarely win a game?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 11:51:39 am by selby »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 24, 2021, 12:06:56 pm by roversdude »
Hopefully the red card is overturned and we have Close, Jordy and Gary back.
Can’t wait until Seaman is back fit to put some pressure on Knoyle who has largely disappointed me so far.
I’d give Barlow another run out as he’s impressed over the last couple of games
Can’t see that Jones has done much wrong in goal so as he currently has the shirt I’d stick with him, however I think he might be back on the bench. From what I’ve seen of Faulkner and Blythe I would have one of those in (assuming the red card stands) to let Rowe play further forward
Hopefully our forwards have shooting practice between now and the game

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 24, 2021, 12:11:41 pm by Chris Black come back »
Burton have a good home record in the league. Played 10, won 5, drawn 2, lost 3. They’ve beaten Sunderland, Portsmouth and Ipswich at home. They do concede though. Only two clean sheets at home this season.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 24, 2021, 12:31:13 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
I see us getting a point from this game.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 24, 2021, 12:42:06 pm by Chris Black come back »
I have some magic beans for you Sammy.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 24, 2021, 04:20:19 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Hoping for a change in fortune at the Pirelli to shrug off our away hoodoo. Backed by plenty of Rovers fans on the terrace behind the goal. Love terracing me.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 24, 2021, 10:30:57 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
We drew 3-3 at Burton (I think) at a similar time of the season last time we got relegated from League 1.

I'd take 3 shots on goal this time round.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 24, 2021, 11:30:26 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
I have some magic beans for you Sammy.

Cheers I will plant them later on

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 24, 2021, 11:50:46 pm by tommy toes »
Rovers were very very good for the first 35 minutes at Bolton, and if Taylor had taken that chance, who knows what might have happened.
The fact is, he didn't and once again we conceded poor goals and that was that.
The problems we have are not scoring and then giving away poor goals.
Which is a recipe for disaster.
I can't see things changing  anytime soon.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 25, 2021, 06:23:37 am by Donnywolf »
Me neither even though we played really well as you say - and goals change games - if JT scores who knows

If the Red was a Yellow we may have still got something out of it but we will never know

At least the 35 mins gave me heart  :scarf: Better hang on till team announced b4 doing PvO as well

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 25, 2021, 07:14:31 am by BigH »
  One thing about being the author of  these threads, I get about a thousand more hits to read the thread when we lose than when we manage to get a draw or rarely a win. Funny that, losing must inspire people to read about the Rovers I suppose, I wonder what they do when we do rarely win a game?
It'd be nice to get the chance to find out!

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 25, 2021, 08:09:55 am by normal rules »
Before the Lincoln game we needed an average win loss and a draw every three games to keep us safe. 4 points from every 9. So with a draw against Lincoln and a loss against Bolton, a win would be nice. Anything else starts making it increasingly difficult to see survival. Barring a win streak of course.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 25, 2021, 08:43:27 am by Campsall rover »
Rovers were very very good for the first 35 minutes at Bolton, and if Taylor had taken that chance, who knows what might have happened.
The fact is, he didn't and once again we conceded poor goals and that was that.
The problems we have are not scoring and then giving away poor goals.
Which is a recipe for disaster.
I can't see things changing  anytime soon.
To be fair Bolton’s 2nd goal was a very good cross in that corridor between defenders and goal keeper so was extremely difficult to defend.
The 3rd goal was a bit of a fluke as it rebounded off Brandon Horton onto the net.

Tuesday was no where as near as bad as 3-0 suggests. We are in fact looking much more solid at the back and it was just one of those nights where it just all went wrong for us.

We just have to be much more clinical in front of goal. We can’t miss chances like the Taylor miss and expect to win football matches.

Next few games up to the new year are now becoming critical. We cannot afford to be adrift at the half way mark.
The Shrewsbury game is looking almost like a must win game next month.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 25, 2021, 09:01:03 am by The Beast »
The red card was never a red card but it won’t get overturned. Not sure who we’ll play at the back, I’d be tempted to put Tommy Rowe there, with too lightweight full backs and an inexperienced keeper, just to talk and organise.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 25, 2021, 09:03:34 am by Campsall rover »
2 wins and a draw from next 5 games needed or we are in serious trouble.
That gives us 20 points at the half way mark. I was hoping for 23 before the Lincoln game as was hoping for 4 points from those 2 games and we only got 1

Accrington have gone off the boil so that gave Burton the opportunity to find some form on Tuesday. Previous to that game they lost 4 league games on the bounce.
We need to start on the front foot as we did at Bolton. Goals win games so it is simple we must take our chances and be clinical. First goal is massive it does visibly lift the team.
This is a game we can win. Not saying we will but we can. Let’s believe and let’s be that 12th man on Saturday. The support the fans give is so important now it really is.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 25, 2021, 09:12:16 am by Campsall rover »
Oh and where were Burton this time last season. They looked completely doomed and ended up mid table. 
Where were Barnsley a few years ago. They got promoted.

All is not lost is it.  Backs to the wall spirit required from the players and US the fans. More of that noise we had at Saturday v Lincoln needed.

Come on Rovers we can do this. Belief Belief. Anything can be achieved if you believe.   :that:

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 25, 2021, 09:30:19 am by Cramby10 »
Ah yes Burton. Great example. Well done.
They changed their manager didn’t they???? New manager installed on New Year’s Day. Giving him the transfer window to put things right. Just saying like.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 09:37:39 am by Cramby10 »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on November 25, 2021, 10:11:06 am by Campsall rover »
Ah yes Burton. Great example. Well done.
They changed their manager didn’t they???? New manager installed on New Year’s Day. Giving him the transfer window to put things right. Just saying like.
Right so we change manager. Wh do you think we should appoint? Serious question.

He will still have the same players to work with until The Jan window.  In January RW will have the opportunity to bring in some new faces hopefully, just the same as any new manager will.

So please tell me what is the benefit of changing the manager and causing yet more upheaval and disruption.
For heavens sake RW has only been in the job 6 months. He has had one window only to completely rebuild the squad which he was not able to do because of financial restraints.
He has only just started on this rebuilding job at Rovers and we are having people wanting to change manager.  Madness imo.

Sorry if people, and this is not having a go at you specifically Cramby, if they can’t see that the problem we have is the constant change in manager we have had since DF left, and what we need now is the stability in that role then quite frankly i despair.

Give Wellens time to build this team. If we go down we go down ok.  I don’t want to go down and would consider it a big set back but it is not the end of the world. Sometimes you have to take a step back before moving forward.
Anyway that said i firmly believe we can still stay up this season under Wellens. 28 games to play that’s a lot of football.

If we can muster 7 points from the next 5 games then I believe with 2/3 of players with experience of this league, a striker as one of course then we can move forward.
There are quite a few poor teams in this league and i am convinced there are more than 4 who will prove to be worse than us come the end of April.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 25, 2021, 10:20:06 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
This game is actually quite important before the cup again.  Burton in the form table have 6pts from 6 games, same as us.  We need to start winning games against teams like this to have any chance of staying up.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 25, 2021, 10:29:46 am by Cramby10 »
Maybe these were the same discussions that Burton fans were having? I don’t know. But it worked for them, clearly. It was your example, not mine.
Trouble with Wellens is, is that he’s now going to have to rebuild his rebuild already because in general, he’s signed dross. I’m genuinely appalled by the standard of player he’s brought in. And I don’t want him pissing any more money up the wall.
 I say this as someone who was very excited by Wellens appointment as he was definitely my first choice. However he comes across as an abrasive arse with no plan who constantly deflects blame away from himself and takes no responsibility. He’s not someone I’d like to play for.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 25, 2021, 11:17:08 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Ok so just say we give Richie until after the Christmas period. If we are still adrift then replace him. If we are out of the bottom 4 then keep him. That's reasonable IMO.

He has a chance to improve in the next month as currently he is underperforming. He can take that chance or not. Starting with this game at Burton on Saturday.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 25, 2021, 12:15:19 pm by roversdude »
Cramby which players are you appalled with please

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 25, 2021, 12:18:23 pm by Cramby10 »
Williams, knoyle, Hiwula, Dodoo, cukur, smith, Gardner and Barlow.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 25, 2021, 12:43:42 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

Williams kicks a football as though his shoelaces are tied together so agree there. He's lower league 2 standard at best.

Knoyle i thought was half decent when i first saw him a few times but he's fast becoming a liability. Got loads of pace getting forward but doesn't produce anything and can't defend. Not good enough.

Hiwula is a natural finisher and will do better in a side that actually creates chance for him but he doesn't move, doesn't work hard and doesn't score either. Not good enough.

Dodoo's scoring record in the league since joining us speaks for itself and is why he's not made anything of himself at any club thus far. League 2 standard.

Gardner is lucky to still have any sort of career. Awful.

Cukur isn't worth mentioning without laughing.

Smith is busy and works hard and i don't dislike him, just that he just doesn't really quite make the grade for me.

Barlow the jury is out. Like to see more of him. He did fade against Bolton after a bright start but played well against Lincoln so can't judge Barlow at the moment.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 12:46:01 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on November 25, 2021, 12:43:56 pm by Campsall rover »
Williams has been a disappointment agreed. Expected him to be better than he has been.
Knoyle was very highly rated at Cambridge and was in the League 2 team of the season. Championship clubs were interested in him. Yes I believe he has underperformed with us so far. Reason we are not winning and it’s all about self belief and confidence.
Hiwula was a decent player at Coventry in this league and was on paper a decent signing allowing for the budget RW had. Yes same a Knoyle he has underperformed, same reasons imo.
Dodoo was available and RW had not got the budget to get better at the time then the Griggs/O’Brien saga left us with him as our main striker. Yes not what we need but he is improving.
Barlow looks a good prospect. He needs a run of games.
Smith is inexperienced and probably not at the level required. Curkur the same not good enough yet for this level of football.
Gardener just not good enough end of imo.

Dahlberg ( Sweden no 2 keeper )  Close and Galbraith all excellent signings.

You have got to give RW some slack based on his summer budget. He will have more to spend in the next windows.

I don’t remember Alex Ferguson getting all his transfer recruiting right. No manager does.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on November 25, 2021, 12:49:15 pm by roversdude »
Williams agree with, Cukur has been thrown in due to circumstances. Knoyle was in the team of the year last season. Gardener played out of position and whilst injured. Smith and Barlow are playing well. Hiwula has been ok but suffered from injury. Dodoo I’m unsure of but has been held in high regard by former fans

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 25, 2021, 12:59:09 pm by Campsall rover »
roversdude we are wasting our time looking for the positives. There are some on here who have thrown in the towel already. Only want to see negatives and quite frankly have not got the bottle for a relegation scrap.

Fortunately there are others like us who are the opposite and will always look for positives even in a negative situation.
As long as RW and all the coaches and players have that belief and positivity then we have every chance. I believe they have.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on November 25, 2021, 01:06:39 pm by roversdude »
CR I’ve seen enough to believe we will not be in the relegation places come the end of the season. We have a decent squad and other than one player I think RW recruited well.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on November 25, 2021, 01:26:39 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
roversdude we are wasting our time looking for the positives. There are some on here who have thrown in the towel already. Only want to see negatives and quite frankly have not got the bottle for a relegation scrap.

Fortunately there are others like us who are the opposite and will always look for positives even in a negative situation.
As long as RW and all the coaches and players have that belief and positivity then we have every chance. I believe they have.

Jesus H. Have you heard yourself?

If i turn up to every home game and you do too. Then who has not got the bottle? Neither of us. Because we don't affect the actual games and therefore results. Such a pointless thing to say when we as fans can only turn up regardless.

If i was the ultimate of positive thinkers then it still would not affect whether we go down or stay up. Because we are no the ones playing football!!  :facepalm: :facepalm:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012