Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:55:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Amber Card = Sin Bin  (Read 1088 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Amber Card = Sin Bin
« on November 25, 2021, 06:47:21 am by Donnywolf »
Is it about time there was an Amber / Sin Bin available to Refs although God help them most can't cope with just 2 Colours

What do these 2 offences have in common. Last week v Lincoln John Taylor was "flying" at speed past Lincolns CB

He was running at full speed into masses of space and with support when taken out in similar style to the tackle last night

Then home to Sunderland 2 seasons back  Copps and another Rovers player were running towards the South Stand goal in their own half with only Ozturk in the centre circle. The ball was going to be too high for him to head so SIMPLE he jumped up and caught it and placed it on the floor

First thing in common is both got just Yellow Cards
Second thing both were taking one for the Team [we ended with a free kick in each case with all defenders back in position]
Thirdly therefore "their Teams" did not suffer

Nobody could know it either of these would have resulted in goals , BUT who can know if they would not and the one only last week v Lincoln could have been crucial as goals change games (they say)

So I advocate punishing the Team doing the "pro foul" by sin binning Ozturk and the Lincoln bloke  last week

MAKE the Team pay immediately instead of just a simple Yellow to the Player. As a fan its a blight on the game

If a Sin Bin Card were added to Refs armoury then Olowu's tackle v BWFC might have been 10 minutes with 10 men for us rather than the rest of the game

My only reservation is some Refs may see it as an easy way out and use a Sin bin more than a Red

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: Amber Card = Sin Bin
« Reply #1 on November 25, 2021, 07:06:51 am by roversdude »
All we ask for is consistency, unfortunately until refs are assessed independently rather than by their mates it will never happen.
Good idea though DW it works in both codes of egg chasing

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 25, 2021, 07:58:53 am by Donnywolf »
I come at it from several angles Rd

Whatever game you choose to watch you want as a fan to see football with skill on display and plenty of action , attempts at goal etc

Instead Teams (all Teams) set out to neutralise the opposition and one of their tools is the cynical foul away from danger area ... and if that fails "professional foul" in more dangerous situations

Both spoil the thing we have paid to watch (in most cases) and I am fed up watching endless fouls

Teams surely have to be punished for this behaviour there and then because they may then change their players behaviour

Ozturk had the brass neck to catch the ball way above his head and pointedly spotted it for us to take a free kick and took his Yellow and for that offence and Lincoln cynically chopping down Tayls last week I would like the Team itself being penalised there and then.

True the Yellows mount up but if someone gets to 5 for instance and misses a game or two it wouldn't be any advantage to us despite being the Team sinned against. With our current luck the Suspended player would miss games against 2 relegation rivals lol

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 25, 2021, 08:22:49 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »
If Oluwu was a Bolton player, then the red card he got on Tuesday night would have seen nobody in the Rovers end complaining.

If that Lincoln player who took out Taylor on Saturday had been one of our lads and he escaped with a yellow. I think everyone would have been happy.

Yes, we need more consistency from refs but these things are what make talking points in games. Christ, there is little else to mention in our games these days so i welcome any drama or controversy.

Sin bins and amber cards just make the game more farcical IMO.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 08:29:48 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 25, 2021, 08:28:19 am by drfchound »
Your points don’t make the proposal by DW any less relevant though CDH.
He is right that fouls like the ones he mentioned are spoiling the game, whether it be in a Rovers game or not.
There is way too much cheating nowadays, holding, shirt pulling etc and it is ruining the game.
Players must practice blocking runs from corners and surely that can’t be right.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 25, 2021, 08:31:42 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »
He is right that fouls like the ones he mentioned are spoiling the game, whether it be in a Rovers game or not.
There is way too much cheating nowadays, holding, shirt pulling etc and it is ruining the game.
Players must practice blocking runs from corners and surely that can’t be right.

I don't mind so much the cheating as every player from every club now cheats. It is down the ref to ignore the cheating instead of blowing up every 5 seconds because someone has inexplicably fallen to ground. Then we might have a proper game, free of constant needless stoppages played by actual men.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 25, 2021, 09:18:02 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Some of the refs have been decent this season, and last, and have let the game go rather than blowing up everything there's a 'half a dozen on one and 6 of the other' type contacts.

What everyone strives for is consistency when applying the rules and in the spirit of the game.

I could only see a sin bin offence just complicating things even more.

One thing that might be doable though is when there's a foul and a subsequent injury which leads to the injured player having to leave the pitch, the offending player also has to leave the pitch until a) injured player can resume or b) a sub is made.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 25, 2021, 10:56:58 am by ForsolongaRover »
If a tackle leads to the victim having to leave the field injured and be replaced the opposition might target the opposition’s best players with a view to eliminating them. They might risk a red card to do this but “get away with” 10 minutes off the field. Once a player gets a Yellow he has to be careful. Sin Binning seems to present the offender with a “clean sheet”.

And there would still be arguments…

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 25, 2021, 11:09:27 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »

Yep. Fair point Hound.

I used to be opposed to cheating until i accepted that there is no longer anything that can be done. Players are not punished and refs are not brave enough to apply the rules or consistent enough to apply them properly.

I seem to recall a ref, (maybe Mike Dean?) giving loads of penalties at the start of the Premier League season for shirt pulling at corners etc, when they had a mandate to stamp down on this stuff but that fizzled out after about 5 games.

Not sure why this didn't continue.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 25, 2021, 04:00:23 pm by roversdude »

Yep. Fair point Hound.

I used to be opposed to cheating until i accepted that there is no longer anything that can be done. Players are not punished and refs are not brave enough to apply the rules or consistent enough to apply them properly.

I seem to recall a ref, (maybe Mike Dean?) giving loads of penalties at the start of the Premier League season for shirt pulling at corners etc, when they had a mandate to stamp down on this stuff but that fizzled out after about 5 games.

Seem to remember it being a follow on from the World Cup, it just seemed to fizzle out.
You’re right about everyone cheating even Rotherham kids were at it in the youth cup, obviously it’s part of coaching now

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 25, 2021, 07:14:18 pm by drfchound »

Yep. Fair point Hound.

Seem to remember it being a follow on from the World Cup, it just seemed to fizzle out.
You’re right about everyone cheating even Rotherham kids were at it in the youth cup, obviously it’s part of coaching now

Not just at pro club level either rdude.
I watched about 20 minutes of a juniors game (under 16s I would guess) on Sunday morning.
Even players there were shirt pulling and holding on to other players at corners.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 25, 2021, 07:17:29 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Is DW suggesting a three card system or simply my preference adding sin bin time to a yellow? ie in the latter case, there is still the chance of two yellows, plus they still mount up with a match missed on 5 and 10.

To me this seems a no brainer. 10 mins off the pitch for a yellow will make a positive difference, 5 mins less likely to.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on November 26, 2021, 06:31:07 am by Donnywolf »
Tbh BRR - I am looking at any solution to the endless hacking down of players just to stop them [perhaps] going on to score , create a chance or generally improving their Teams onfield position

What galls me is where incidents like Lincoln CB last week completely scythed JT [who had completely done him] down. JT [perhaps] was going on to score , create a chance or generally improving his Teams onfield position

CB stopped that dead - and instead of that we got a free kick by the home dug out with all their Team back in position and he got a Yellow

Thats where I would like to see a sin bin option however it comes. It was never going to be Red and so Ref pulled a Yellow which imo was not sufficient punishment and where I would like to see the Ref given a 3rd option - which may return "a bit of the game to us"

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 26, 2021, 11:18:00 am by i_ateallthepies »

JT [perhaps] was going on to score , create a chance or generally improving his Teams onfield position go one-to-one with the keeper and blaze it over the bar...

Corrected for you, JT  :rolleyes:

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 26, 2021, 02:05:21 pm by DMnumber4 »
Tbh BRR - I am looking at any solution to the endless hacking down of players just to stop them [perhaps] going on to score , create a chance or generally improving their Teams onfield position

What galls me is where incidents like Lincoln CB last week completely scythed JT [who had completely done him] down. JT [perhaps] was going on to score , create a chance or generally improving his Teams onfield position

CB stopped that dead - and instead of that we got a free kick by the home dug out with all their Team back in position and he got a Yellow

Thats where I would like to see a sin bin option however it comes. It was never going to be Red and so Ref pulled a Yellow which imo was not sufficient punishment and where I would like to see the Ref given a 3rd option - which may return "a bit of the game to us"

I think the "amber" card would have the opposite effect actually and increase the number of cynical fouls.

I think for stuff like persistent fouling you need either a "team warning" or, more draconian, book the captain.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 26, 2021, 05:23:04 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I think the sin bin thing would only work if it is on top of the yellow card.  I also think ten minutes isn't nearly enough, twenty minutes would be much more of a disincentive.  Also like the suggestion that the player fouling should have to leave the field with the injured player.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012