Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:38:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Are we fighting for our club or owners  (Read 2870 times)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Are we fighting for our club or owners
« on November 25, 2021, 09:16:14 am by since-1969 »
The owners are on safe journey to establish a self sustaining club that is build around many streams of income and not reliant on the owners making up the short fall . It sounds idealistic and sound business practice . BUT it comes at a price . This price is now paid by the fans by tapering their expectations of success year on year . With loan players to fill in the squads deficiencies often  players who haven’t played at Efl level . Wages being the main burden on a clubs income is capped by the turnover and spending over all is spread over several transfer windows to maximise its chances of signing available out of contract  players . Managers are not expected to exceed the budget or risk players being loaned out to other small clubs to keep within its budget . This model is not designed for success on the pitch but to maintain a balance sheet without the owners required to invest . DRFC are drifting slowly into obscurity with its fan base dwindling year on year. Imo 145 years of the clubs history is being ring fenced and bound up in a metaphoric chastity belt to prevent it ever getting ideas beyond its capabilities to grow . Baldwin and co are a fraud and should leave if ever the club is to get its  self respect back to the fans who have seen this demise years before and the pain of the exile out of the League before . Let the supporters have a say now or watch US all walk away !! This my view only !

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Are we fighting for our club or owners
« Reply #1 on November 25, 2021, 09:18:17 am by Filo »
Another pile of shite!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 25, 2021, 09:39:08 am by selby »
  !969, I always wondered if you were an sane, now I know.  If you had supported the club under Bates and Richardson you would have been close to suicide. Even 60 odd years later Bates can be looked back on as the owner who stunted  the clubs potential the most at a time when we could have kicked on to be a much more respected club than what we became due to him.

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 25, 2021, 09:57:58 am by Lincoln Rover »
Since 1969.
I will remain polite, I couldn’t disagree more. Have a pleasant day. RTID

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 25, 2021, 10:18:26 am by Campsall rover »
The owners are on safe journey to establish a self sustaining club that is build around many streams of income and not reliant on the owners making up the short fall . It sounds idealistic and sound business practice . BUT it comes at a price . This price is now paid by the fans by tapering their expectations of success year on year . With loan players to fill in the squads deficiencies often  players who haven’t played at Efl level . Wages being the main burden on a clubs income is capped by the turnover and spending over all is spread over several transfer windows to maximise its chances of signing available out of contract  players . Managers are not expected to exceed the budget or risk players being loaned out to other small clubs to keep within its budget . This model is not designed for success on the pitch but to maintain a balance sheet without the owners required to invest . DRFC are drifting slowly into obscurity with its fan base dwindling year on year. Imo 145 years of the clubs history is being ring fenced and bound up in a metaphoric chastity belt to prevent it ever getting ideas beyond its capabilities to grow . Baldwin and co are a fraud and should leave if ever the club is to get its  self respect back to the fans who have seen this demise years before and the pain of the exile out of the League before . Let the supporters have a say now or watch US all walk away !! This my view only !
Please it is your view only. Well I hope it is.

Nothing more needs to be said other than what you have written is insane. Your not living in the real world.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 25, 2021, 10:19:46 am by Ldr »

The ramblings of someone desperate for attention

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 25, 2021, 11:48:34 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Success can be achieved on a relatively modest budget given the correct set of circumstances. I am against the club spending loads of money to try and chase success, invariably because that success more often than not does not materialize and then the club is left with players who are failing but who we still have to pay along with more debt.

Personally i don't require success as a reason to continue going to games. I'll go regardless but i do expect a lot better from our manager and players than we are getting at the moment.

We must remember that we are Doncaster Rovers, not Chelsea and whilst some may see that as having a small club mentality, this is reality.

The club should gradually shift towards a self sustaining model and fans expectations should be realistic about how this translates to success (or lack of) on the pitch. The club should focus on making the club a lot more fan oriented and community and fan engagement seriously needs stepping up.

The way i see it is that most clubs at lower levels don't achieve success and often serve up dire football. Therefore the trick for clubs like ours is to not only retain supporters given this, but also gain more of them despite the 'product' on the pitch being generally poor.

If fans feel communicated with, engaged with, listened to and made to feel an intrinsic and valuable part of the football club then they are less likely to become disillusioned and then stop attending when the football is crap. As it often is.

Fans that say that they will stop going to games if the club don't spend money and the team don't get success are entitled to their opinion and i appreciate it is frustrating, but these fans maybe should go and watch Liverpool instead.

Yes we could be a club that some sugar daddy pumps money into and we experience temporary success, even getting to the Premier League. However, this will only be temporary and we will eventually slide back down to the level we should be at and then run the risk of being saddled with huge debt.

Wigan for example had a great time for a few short years and even won the FA Cup, but they were in financial difficulty and are now in our league. Same as Bolton. In Europe and the Prem for a few years but eventually dropped through the divisions and nearly went bust. That cannot be allowed to happen at DRFC, even if we are chasing a far less lofty dream of promotion to the Championship.

Build the academy. Give them a chance. Stop signing crap players on 2 year deals and borrowing rubbish kids from Premier League teams when we can use our own would be a start.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 12:09:57 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 25, 2021, 12:09:05 pm by roversdude »
You’re entitled to your opinion but please don’t say we’ll all walk away, that shifts from your opinion (which surprisingly in my opinion is BS) to speaking for all fans. I’m not happy with the league position but thrilled we have the board and manager we have

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 25, 2021, 12:25:56 pm by The Beast »
Unfortunately football is a business no matter which way you look at it. Isn’t it obvious that any business should want to be self-sufficient, ideally make a profit. I can’t believe the front of people coming on here suggesting that other people should put more and more of their own money in. We know the whole game is skewed because of the massive injections of cash at the top and needs sorting but what is up with people? They’re in cloud cuckoo land! Do they want the board to take them out for a post match meal and a piss-up after games? It’s only fair really!
 :suicide:

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 25, 2021, 12:45:36 pm by Draytonian III »
Another pile of shite!

Well said, end of

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 25, 2021, 12:53:23 pm by EasyforDennis »
Very noticeable that it's the same old names having a go and calling the person starting this thread. For those who have posted. It's a pile of shite. Ramblings of a deluded person. Insane etc. Would you like to point out other than it is Baldwins fault what he has said that is incorrect.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 25, 2021, 01:09:13 pm by RugbyRover »
The OP obviously gets over excited toward the end but he does make some valid points about the sustainability model that we're following.

First thing to say that the owners are entitled to go down whichever road they want to. If it were my money I'd not be pumping millions into a League One club either.

But there are consequences to be faced....

I can see us getting relegated and not coming back up. We'll have reduced cash coming in from the EFL, sponsors and gate receipts, as all the "big" clubs are in League 1. What happens then? Do the Owners fork out cash to get us promoted or do we aim to be sustainable in League Two?

In my experience it doesn't take a lot to put the majority of people off going to watch Rovers, so while a hard core will still turn up it'll be harder and harder to attract new fans. Its a savage circle isn't it and all points to a decline.

There's an old saying "if you're not moving forwards, you're going backwards" and that definitely applies to us atm.

I'd also question what the CEO means when he says he wants Rovers to get their identity back.

Which identity is that? The one fueled by John Ryan and the millions of pounds of investment in players that took us from Non League to the Championship? or the one where we bounced round the bottom of Division Four for god knows how many years?

Transfer window opens up soon so we'll get a better idea what the plan is then.

I wonder what peoples aspirations for the club are. How about swapping places with Chesterfield FC, being owned by some sort of Trust and trying to be sustainable & competitive in Non League? Would that work?

Beerseller

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 25, 2021, 01:36:14 pm by Beerseller »
A good post Rugby.

The thing with moving forwards and backwards in the English pyramid is that for every club moving up, there has to be one moving down.  I suppose the issue is in defining the range of movement you are prepared to live with either way.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 25, 2021, 01:37:25 pm by Donny Exile in York »
The OP obviously gets over excited toward the end but he does make some valid points about the sustainability model that we're following.

First thing to say that the owners are entitled to go down whichever road they want to. If it were my money I'd not be pumping millions into a League One club either.

But there are consequences to be faced....

I can see us getting relegated and not coming back up. We'll have reduced cash coming in from the EFL, sponsors and gate receipts, as all the "big" clubs are in League 1. What happens then? Do the Owners fork out cash to get us promoted or do we aim to be sustainable in League Two?

In my experience it doesn't take a lot to put the majority of people off going to watch Rovers, so while a hard core will still turn up it'll be harder and harder to attract new fans. Its a savage circle isn't it and all points to a decline.

There's an old saying "if you're not moving forwards, you're going backwards" and that definitely applies to us atm.

I'd also question what the CEO means when he says he wants Rovers to get their identity back.

Which identity is that? The one fueled by John Ryan and the millions of pounds of investment in players that took us from Non League to the Championship? or the one where we bounced round the bottom of Division Four for god knows how many years?

Transfer window opens up soon so we'll get a better idea what the plan is then.

I wonder what peoples aspirations for the club are. How about swapping places with Chesterfield FC, being owned by some sort of Trust and trying to be sustainable & competitive in Non League? Would that work?

Spot on post, let some of those who are happy to defend our current direction and decision making powers answer some of those questions. Its easy to say also 'spend other people's money' but they have a position of responsibility having signed up for leading the football club, you either invest or go backwards, and as we see with the latter, that can become a vicious circle, of dwindling crowds, lower budgets, reduced quality in the squad, worse results, and continue on repeat. There are a number on here defending the indefensible in my opinion as to those who have overseen the direction of travel over the last 18 months and the mess of repeat manager appointments, poor transfer windows and recruitment etc. I think the wider mass supporter base are not as blinkered as those choosing to defend mis-management and a spiral of poor results this calendar year or that those with money in positions of responsibiiity don't focus on investing and seizing the initiative to stop the aforementioned spiral and likely relegation. Go on other forums / social media and hear the views of Rovers fans or friends and the general view in the ground (can't say on the terraces but you get the gist). The January transfer window and actions or lack of actions form the board will be interesting. You can see the lack of investment from the kit, to the matchday programme, both of lower quality and reflective of the lack of investment on the pitch too!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 25, 2021, 01:53:18 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

If I spot the facts do I win £5?

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 25, 2021, 02:09:55 pm by EasyforDennis »

Maybe you should point out the inaccuracies instead?

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 25, 2021, 02:24:01 pm by The Beast »
As football as a business is unsustainable due to so much artificial stimulus, I think it is the correct decision to try and find other revenue streams to fund the football. The team was in a false position under Moore before Christmas, which made the collapse after the Whiteman sale look all the more catastrophic. The board appointed Wellens which most people were happy with at the time, we were told it was a rebuild, we all knew it was going to be a tough, probably not this tough.
I’m not convinced by Wellens but what he’s been dealt has been awful, poor preparation and injuries. I can see signs of very slow improvement.
It’s easy to criticise, say the kit is crap etc, I don’t like the kit, I’m sure though it was designed in good faith, I’m sure every decision that is made is made in good faith, obviously there’s always an opportunity cost and sometimes you make the wrong decision.
I don’t honestly know what people expect from the owners, we are doing terribly but sometimes that happens you lose irreplaceable players and make bad calls on their replacements. Everything happens in cycles, 7 years of feast 7 years of famine, the graph doesn’t forever go in a straight diagonal upwards line. Have a bit of patience, stop being so fickle, do not ask what your club can do for you, ask what you can do for your club!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 25, 2021, 02:37:11 pm by roversdude »
Mess of repeat manager appointments??? WTF

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on November 25, 2021, 02:43:27 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
We were for-warned that this season was going to be about rebuilding, I’m as frustrated as the next person but to get stronger you must have these periods of change.

I’ve said before that you should always be aiming for promotion but when that shows it isn’t going to be the case, you have to temper your expectations.

I don’t think anybody at the club expected us to be second bottom, but if they started on this road they have to give Wellens ample time to get the thing working.

In my opinion he has gone too much down the youthful for the future route and hasn’t though enough about the here and now
We could do with one or two more experienced players in there.
The reason we have had up and down results is because we the balance of youth v experience wrong.

The organisation defensively isn’t good enough, but we haven’t had a regular back four all season.
Midfield ,the blend of players we haven’t found the right one , as we lack a ball winner.
Up front lack of movement but also lack of service are our problems.

I don’t believe in five year plans, they rarely work. It’s laudable trying to put in a young side for the future but you have to build a side for now with the young players in and around the squad. We don’t have the funds to do it that way though, so you need split thinking on that.

The directors cannot keep chucking money at the job, it is important to have the club self sufficient, the trouble is that’s not what gets the fans excited about coming to the games.
Fans want to see attacking, winning football, for some it’s the only entertainment they get after a hard week at work.

I think there needs to be as compromise, the fans need to see the board going for it a little bit, but also keeping things under control .
Whatever it is football is an entertainment business ,and if you consistently don’t offer what the people want, they will drift off and do other things!.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 25, 2021, 02:48:02 pm by danumdon »
I think sometimes you also have to give some leeway to individuals who react in a different way to you or i.

Some people go to the match on a Saturday with a hope of a decent game, some interest and excitement and hopefully a good result as an outcome. If the outcome is opposite to what was hoped for then a shrug of the shoulders and a hope that the next game can show the desired outcome. These people will go home and get on with their life's as normal.

You then have the other end of the spectrum, individuals who brood and worry on every turn and instance the club report, they are sat at home waiting for the match and are visibly fretting on the outcome, this person is not going to go home happy, it will ruin his weekend and most of the next week, he will be scouring the forums and any other social media outlet for snippets of info in the hope that the awful mess we are in can be corrected. His whole world and life becomes an inferior place to be because of these outcomes.

I'm sure that ALL on this forum can see some part of themselves either in the two examples or in between, its the life of a football fan.

We need to give all the space and outlet to show their particular thoughts or desires, at the end of the day we are all Rovers fans but we are all very different and we should make efforts to debate and question each others thought process but also give a certain allowance for the cranky ones the eccentric ones and the plain looneys.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 25, 2021, 03:06:19 pm by sha66y »

Ok let’s assume that the OP is pretty accurate with this viewpoint, and I do tend to agree with most of it…
So if the OP is correct and he believes, as do many, that this is the direction that DRFC are heading for the reasons stated……….why the hell bitch about it every day?

If you are told there’s a storm brewing, and you can clearly see it on the horizon, as can all your neighbours…..why continually knock on doors offering the opinion that there’s a storm brewing when it’s bloody obvious?

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 25, 2021, 03:13:04 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Good post Danumdon.

Myself for example have a condition that leads to dichotomous thinking and i often cannot see the grey inbetween or even if i can, often i can't accept it. For example as a black and white thinker, to me, Wellens has us 2nd bottom, playing crap football and thus by that he can't be doing his job properly.

Obviously i know there are lots of mitigating factors as to why we might be 2nd bottom but i cannot accept them. It is easier for me to process the black and white. So we're 2nd bottom after 4 months and i've enjoyed one game so far and because of this we should be looking for a new manager.

Interestingly there was a study conducted that suggested that people have more activation in one hemisphere of the brain than the other and this lent itself to what type of thinker they were or what bias (positive or negative) they saw situations with.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 25, 2021, 03:49:46 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

How about unsubstantiated suppositions?

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 25, 2021, 03:52:17 pm by Donny Exile in York »
As football as a business is unsustainable due to so much artificial stimulus, I think it is the correct decision to try and find other revenue streams to fund the football. The team was in a false position under Moore before Christmas, which made the collapse after the Whiteman sale look all the more catastrophic. The board appointed Wellens which most people were happy with at the time, we were told it was a rebuild, we all knew it was going to be a tough, probably not this tough.
I’m not convinced by Wellens but what he’s been dealt has been awful, poor preparation and injuries. I can see signs of very slow improvement.
It’s easy to criticise, say the kit is crap etc, I don’t like the kit, I’m sure though it was designed in good faith, I’m sure every decision that is made is made in good faith, obviously there’s always an opportunity cost and sometimes you make the wrong decision.
I don’t honestly know what people expect from the owners, we are doing terribly but sometimes that happens you lose irreplaceable players and make bad calls on their replacements. Everything happens in cycles, 7 years of feast 7 years of famine, the graph doesn’t forever go in a straight diagonal upwards line. Have a bit of patience, stop being so fickle, do not ask what your club can do for you, ask what you can do for your club!

The Board appointed Butler first, when with a fair wind we could have gone top with our games in hand or not far off in early February.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on November 25, 2021, 03:56:44 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

The Board appointed Butler first, when with a fair wind we could have gone top with our games in hand or not far off in early February.

Really, were we getting Whiteman back? Because it's when he left that results starting going tits up.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on November 25, 2021, 03:57:30 pm by Donny Exile in York »

I suggest you reign in the judgements then yourself, who's been fickle, as a season ticket holder, lottery goer etc i am doing my bit! Given our position in the table, i just take a different view to Osterich's sticking their head in the sand or viewing a graph and going,... ohhh it went up for 7 years, now its time for the slide... it's all Ok we can see pretty patterns in the graphs! There should be scrutiny of the workings of the club given the fall from grace over the past 11 months or so.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 25, 2021, 05:54:10 pm by The Beast »

I suggest you reign in the judgements then yourself, who's been fickle, as a season ticket holder, lottery goer etc i am doing my bit! Given our position in the table, i just take a different view to Osterich's sticking their head in the sand or viewing a graph and going,... ohhh it went up for 7 years, now its time for the slide... it's all Ok we can see pretty patterns in the graphs! There should be scrutiny of the workings of the club given the fall from grace over the past 11 months or so.
I’ve no doubt you’re a loyal supporter, we’ve probably got 2/3000 like you, Ipswich have got 10,000, Sunderland 20,000.
So what exactly should the club do to get out of this predicament? Don’t you think they are trying? Was Wellens the wrong choice? Should they sack him now? Should they put more money in and subsidise us even more? Would you hold the board directly responsible for the kit being crap? Do you know any parties who want to take over?

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 25, 2021, 06:08:08 pm by Donny Exile in York »

I suggest you reign in the judgements then yourself, who's been fickle, as a season ticket holder, lottery goer etc i am doing my bit! Given our position in the table, i just take a different view to Osterich's sticking their head in the sand or yviewing a graph and going,... ohhh it went up for 7 years, now its time for the slide... it's all Ok we can see pretty patterns in the graphs! There should be scrutiny of the workings of the club given the fall from grace over the past 11 months or so.
I’ve no doubt you’re a loyal supporter, we’ve probably got 2/3000 like you, Ipswich have got 10,000, Sunderland 20,000.
So what exactly should the club do to get out of this predicament? Don’t you think they are trying? Was Wellens the wrong choice? Should they sack him now? Should they put more money in and subsidise us even more? Would you hold the board directly responsible for the kit being crap? Do you know any parties who want to take over?

Try answering some of Rugby Rovers questions. We've covered the rest previously probably 6 or 8 league games ago... not to mention after the first five league games or last April /May when I was hounded for saying we needed investment otherwise this season would be a follow on from the end of the last or even worse.., . Do you want to enlighten me and everyone to what you think should be done or we just continue the downward spiral?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 06:13:38 pm by Donny Exile in York »

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on November 25, 2021, 06:22:38 pm by The Beast »

I suggest you reign in the judgements then yourself, who's been fickle, as a season ticket holder, lottery goer etc i am doing my bit! Given our position in the table, i just take a different view to Osterich's sticking their head in the sand or yviewing a graph and going,... ohhh it went up for 7 years, now its time for the slide... it's all Ok we can see pretty patterns in the graphs! There should be scrutiny of the workings of the club given the fall from grace over the past 11 months or so.

Try answering some of Rugby Rovers questions. We've covered the rest previously probably 6 or 8 league games ago... not to mention after the first five league games or last Apri/l May when I was hounded as been a doom mongerer or the like for saying we needed investment otherwise this season would be a follow on from the end of the last or even worse.., . Do you want to enlighten me and everyone to what you think should be done or we just continue the downward spiral?
I’m just going to be patient and get behind the team, see what happens in January. I’m more than happy with the board, not sure about Wellens yet but he deserves more time, I’ll see if we improve when players come back in.
Things will get worse before they get better, we’ll lose at Burton and probably get knocked out of the Cup by Mansfield now Olowu’s appeal has been chucked out but such is life.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on November 25, 2021, 06:35:49 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Try answering some of Rugby Rovers questions. We've covered the rest previously probably 6 or 8 league games ago... not to mention after the first five league games or last April /May when I was hounded for saying we needed investment otherwise this season would be a follow on from the end of the last or even worse.., . Do you want to enlighten me and everyone to what you think should be done or we just continue the downward spiral?

It seems some people accept there was need for a rebuild but are not willing to accept the risk and consequences that come with it.

Sometimes in life you have to go backwards before going forwards again.. When the slide of results came during and after Moore's departure, I fully accepted that we needed a full rebuild and I fully accepted that it would likely take more than one transfer window for any incoming manager to get things moving forward again.

Of course, we would want to avoid relegation but we can't pick and choose these things, neither the board, nor the manager could have foreseen such a prolonged run of injuries however, this season still has a long way to go.

There is no need to panic! What needs to be done is to continue to support our club whatever way you can and be patient. Allow the club and the management team to do what is necessary to execute their plan for January.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012