Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:26:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Main U’s new manager is: Who?…never heard of him!  (Read 1371 times)

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
Main U’s new manager is: Who?…never heard of him!
« on November 25, 2021, 04:15:05 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
Man U’s new (interim) manager:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59421961

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
Re: Main U’s new manager is: Who?…never heard of him!
« Reply #1 on November 25, 2021, 05:01:40 pm by MachoMadness »
Apparently they've offered him some sort of technical director/director of football style role once his contract is up to sweeten the pot. Not sure what difference he'll make as he's one of the minds behind the high pressing system that's all over German football at the minute and Man U's big flaw is that they can't press to save their lives.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 25, 2021, 05:08:15 pm by Filo »
Apparently they've offered him some sort of technical director/director of football style role once his contract is up to sweeten the pot. Not sure what difference he'll make as he's one of the minds behind the high pressing system that's all over German football at the minute and Man U's big flaw is that they can't press to save their lives.

Man City were excellent at that against PSG last night, although PSG’s front three did nothing to help their defence, all high profile but lazy

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 26, 2021, 10:37:49 am by ChrisBx »
While he's not a household name in this country, I'm surprised there's people who follow football who haven't heard of him.

He was incredibly influential in Germany's rebuild in the 2000s and came very close to landing the England job after Euro 2016. He'd have certainly been a better appointment than Allardyce, however probably wouldn't have gone down as well with those who wanted a bigger name.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 26, 2021, 10:41:05 am by DonnyOsmond »
Helped build Leipzig to what they are.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 26, 2021, 10:48:26 am by Glyn_Wigley »
I'd never heard of Arsene Wenger when Arsenal appointed him. The main point isn't what the fans know of the man, it's what the appointing club knows about him.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 26, 2021, 11:17:03 am by MachoMadness »

Man City were excellent at that against PSG last night, although PSG’s front three did nothing to help their defence, all high profile but lazy
It's an essential part of the game these days. The athleticism now compared to just 10-15 years ago is insane.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 26, 2021, 02:24:43 pm by Donnywolf »

I'd never heard of Arsene Wenger when Arsenal appointed him. The main point isn't what the fans know of the man, it's what the appointing club knows about him.

I was just going to say he may be the "Arsene of the North"

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 26, 2021, 04:13:04 pm by ravenrover »
With a shed load ofmoney available to him, don't forget.
Having said that Tuchel is a big disciple of his as is Klopp to a cetyain extent. I believe that he was one of the 1st coaches to advocate the high press to win back the ball within 8 secs of losing it, wonder if Pep learnt it from him?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 26, 2021, 07:11:53 pm by MachoMadness »
He had a good career before Leipzig and the red bull cash to be fair. Hugely influential coach. You wouldn't have Klopp and Tuchel at the top of the game without him.

Pep learnt it from Bielsa raven. Although his approach was definitely shaped by his time at Bayern when he had to adapt to beat Klopp's Dortmund side. There was a great few years where Bayern and Dortmund would basically trade wins as one manager would one up the other.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 26, 2021, 08:14:03 pm by Padge_DRFC »
End of Martial, Rashford and Greenwood.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 27, 2021, 06:08:19 am by Bailey Vickerage »
I’m surprised to see so many ppl, especially top level football fans not know anything about him. He’s probs the best tactician in the game and German coaches like Klopp and Tuchel love him and they’ve been influenced massively by him.

Great appointment by United especially with him carrying on in another role. He’s been a big part of the rise of RB Leipzig and was the director of football at both Salzburg and Leipzig when they brought in the likes of Haaland, Keita, Mane and upamecano.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 27, 2021, 10:44:28 am by River Don »
Having said that Tuchel is a big disciple of his as is Klopp to a cetyain extent. I believe that he was one of the 1st coaches to advocate the high press to win back the ball within 8 secs of losing it, wonder if Pep learnt it from him?

I believe it was Arrigo Sacchi originally who was most influential in developing the counter press. I would guess Pep picked up on it there.

This guy is very influential by all accounts. Seems to be held in the same kind of high esteem by Klopp and Tuchel as Bielsa is by Pep and Poch.

The Premier league really seems to have the cream of World coaching talent within it now.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/arrigo-sacchi-ac-milan-italy-coach-tactics/
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 10:47:34 am by River Don »

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 27, 2021, 11:00:11 am by Colin C No.3 »
I’ll give you Martial but Rashford & Greenwood?

They’re the types you build sides around they’re that good imo. For Man Utd to have them both on the books would have anyone taking up the reins at Old Trafford rubbing their hands with glee.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 27, 2021, 11:02:13 am by River Don »

They’re the types you build sides around they’re that good imo. For Man Utd to have them both on the books would have anyone taking up the reins at Old Trafford rubbing their hands with glee.

I think the big question mark is over Ronaldo.

I wonder how he feels about a bloke who will demand a high intensity pressing game from the whole team?

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 27, 2021, 12:01:49 pm by Padge_DRFC »

They'll need to do the exact opposite of how they are off the ball at the minute.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 27, 2021, 12:14:24 pm by MachoMadness »
Maybe with proper coaching Rashford and Greenwood could be turned into decent front foot pressers, they're quite bad at it right now though. I think van de Beek will really come into his own in this system. As RD says the question is Ronaldo, and whether at his age he's ready to buy into this system. Gegenpress is massively reliant on the collective of the team all doing their jobs and getting into the right positions off the ball, if you have one or two who don't buy in it will all fall apart. One thing's for sure, Man U will certainly be more interesting to watch if nothing else.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 27, 2021, 09:41:45 pm by River Don »

I believe it was Arrigo Sacchi originally who was most influential in developing the counter press. I would guess Pep picked up on it there.

This guy is very influential by all accounts. Seems to be held in the same kind of high esteem by Klopp and Tuchel as Bielsa is by Pep and Poch.

The Premier league really seems to have the cream of World coaching talent within it now.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/arrigo-sacchi-ac-milan-italy-coach-tactics/

Also worth noting Conte and Anchelotti were part of Sacchis Milan side. Basically the man laid the foundations of today's football.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on November 27, 2021, 09:46:57 pm by River Don »
Didn't Wellens promise this sort of high pressing football?

« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 09:50:13 pm by River Don »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012