Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:02:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: English football 'needs independent regulator' says review report.  (Read 729 times)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59406087?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA

I really wish I had enough faith in those in power to not expect lots of vote-catching vocal support from the government but bugger all actually changing.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BobG

• VSC Member
Re: English football 'needs independent regulator' says review report.
« Reply #1 on November 24, 2021, 10:51:13 pm by BobG »
It's already started Glyn. Did you spot in that BBC article that the FA have, apparently, already said:

'"many positive changes have already been made", some of which were "directly as a result" of the review.'

What changes? Said to whom?

There is a whole art form underlying both the destruction of something, anything, one does not like and of giving the appearance of doing lots of something whilst actually doing bugger all. The FA have been past masters at that for decades. Remember the short lived FA inspector of breaches of their own rules, the ex copper Mr Bean? They appointed him to assuage previous cries of public anguish and then got rid of him as soon as it became politically possible to do so. He was never replaced. Can't think why.... They can't, or won't, even reform their own stupid, unworkable constitution either FFS.

If this is left to the football  authorities we will see mountains of platitudinous verbiage - and f**k all meaningful, long lasting action. The only hope is governmental action forcing their hands. I'm not going to hold my breath. Too many powerful vested interests in play here now.

BobG

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 25, 2021, 01:51:14 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
It's already started Glyn. Did you spot in that BBC article that the FA have, apparently, already said:

'"many positive changes have already been made", some of which were "directly as a result" of the review.'

There is a whole art form underlying both the destruction of something, anything, one does not like and of giving the appearance of doing lots of something whilst actually doing bugger all. The FA have been past masters at that for decades. Remember the short lived FA inspector of breaches of their own rules, the ex copper Mr Bean? They appointed him to assuage previous cries of public anguish and then got rid of him as soon as it became politically possible to do so. He was never replaced. Can't think why.... They can't, or won't, even reform their own stupid, unworkable constitution either FFS.

If this is left to the football  authorities we will see mountains of platitudinous verbiage - and f**k all meaningful, long lasting action. The only hope is governmental action forcing their hands. I'm not going to hold my breath. Too many powerful vested interests in play here now.

BobG

And the government is saying they agree 'in principle' ie politician's code for 'we ain't going to do anything but we have to make it look like we want to so that we don't lose any football fans' votes'.

silent majority

• VSC Member

BobG

And the government is saying they agree 'in principle' ie politician's code for 'we ain't going to do anything but we have to make it look like we want to so that we don't lose any football fans' votes'.

You’re wrong Glyn. I know you don’t like this government but this is not politics.

Having worked on this for a few years and participated in the review I can guarantee that this will be a minimum outcome.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 25, 2021, 07:23:48 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
It's not about not liking them, it's recognising the culture of casual lying and broken promises that have become the norm under them. They like a big popular announcement but don't want to spend money when it comes to the crunch. I can see this becoming a another HS2.

silent majority

• VSC Member
Good for you, but you’re wrong.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 25, 2021, 10:24:05 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I hope I am, it's what football in this country needs. But my confidence in this government doing anything but making vaguely positive noises about it isn't great.

silent majority

• VSC Member
I hope I am, it's what football in this country needs. But my confidence in this government doing anything but making vaguely positive noises about it isn't great.

You should focus on the report, what it says and what it will achieve, rather than ‘this government’.

This the football section not ‘off topic’.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 26, 2021, 10:13:52 am by Glyn_Wigley »
"The main recommendation is for a new Independent Regulator for English Football (IREF)
established by an Act of Parliament"

TinyPortal © 2005-2012