Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:21:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: First 18 games last season  (Read 919 times)

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
First 18 games last season
« on November 26, 2021, 07:27:54 am by Upton Rover »
First 18 games this season.
What went wrong? Because I can’t think we’re it all went wrong and who’s to blame
1   Lincoln   WWWLL   20   +14   41   13   2   5   31   17
2   Hull City   WLLLD   19   +13   37   12   1   6   31   18
3   Portsmouth   WDWWL   19   +17   35   10   5   4   32   15
4   Doncaster   LWWWW   18   +12   33   10   3   5   32   20
5   Peterborough   DWLLW   18   +10   32   10   2   6   29   19
6   Charlton   LDDWD   19   +7   32   9   5   5   29   22
7   Ipswich   WLWDL   18   +4   32   10   2   6   23   19

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
Re: First 18 games last season
« Reply #1 on November 26, 2021, 07:37:42 am by steve@dcfd »
I’ve answered in another thread what went wrong and it easy to see why it went wrong mismanaged by the CEO and the owners.

RoverinLincs

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 26, 2021, 08:12:11 am by RoverinLincs »
The capitulation can be traced back to the sale of Ben Whitman. As soon as he left we completely lost the plot

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 26, 2021, 08:50:21 am by Filo »
The capitulation can be traced back to the sale of Ben Whitman. As soon as he left we completely lost the plot

I’d say it started before then, the defeat to Shrewsbury when we could have gone top of the league with games in hand was the start of it, it was all downhill from that point

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 26, 2021, 09:05:17 am by steve@dcfd »

I’d say it started before then, the defeat to Shrewsbury when we could have gone top of the league with games in hand was the start of it, it was all downhill from that point
Ben Whiteman left us on the 14th January we did not replace him the games against Burton and Shrewsbury came after that.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 26, 2021, 09:09:36 am by Filo »

Ben Whiteman left us on the 14th January we did not replace him the games against Burton and Shrewsbury came after that.

I might have the team we played just before Christmas wrong, we could have gone top then with games in hand, my point still stands

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 26, 2021, 09:28:16 am by Upton Rover »
Just 1 player doesn’t make a successful team

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 26, 2021, 11:09:43 am by i_ateallthepies »

Ben Whitman, otherwise known as 'Slim'.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 26, 2021, 11:34:46 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Not sure what the point of this thread is and why we have to revisit old ground or point the finger a one single event or person to pin blame on???

As with most things in life, there's a series of events that cumulate that can turn the fortunes.

You can go back to when we were doing well, even with Whiteman, and folk were still unhappy with the way we were playing, often being accused of fannying around with it at the back, no players were safe from criticism including Whiteman who was accused of playing too deep.

Whiteman was always likely to leave having been subject to earlier transfer enquiries but the board had already persuaded him to sign another contract when he could have walked for nothing, yet, the board are not given any credit for that.

Yes, the board were prepared for his departure however, players like him don't grow on trees but it doesn't help when the man in charge dilly dallies about signing a player to help bridge the gap.

Even after Whiteman left, we still managed to win games although most recognised we were on the edge and struggling to play with much confidence, plus other injuries at the time were not helping, then of course DM jumped ship, deserting the players he'd given a personal guarantee he was here for the long haul.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 26, 2021, 11:48:36 am by steve@dcfd »
Easy to talk about DM Because he never gave his side of the story we know now he had to work with a reduced budget. We know now we never had a budget that was 8th in the league. The CEO said this year our budget is better but next season if we are still in league one we will have a top half budget. If you haven’t got the funds to bring in players you need then may be you have to think who you can get. He should not have brought in Bostock and Bogle both were never fit enough to do a job last season. He wanted the forward from Coventry they wanted a fee we backed out. It will happen again this transfer window but I’m hoping we don’t accept second best we’ve done that already.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 26, 2021, 12:01:27 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Easy to talk about DM Because he never gave his side of the story we know now he had to work with a reduced budget. We know now we never had a budget that was 8th in the league. The CEO said this year our budget is better but next season if we are still in league one we will have a top half budget. If you haven’t got the funds to bring in players you need then may be you have to think who you can get. He should not have brought in Bostock and Bogle both were never fit enough to do a job last season. He wanted the forward from Coventry they wanted a fee we backed out. It will happen again this transfer window but I’m hoping we don’t accept second best we’ve done that already.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 26, 2021, 03:51:45 pm by Upton Rover »
Not sure what the point of this thread is and why we have to revisit old ground or point the finger a one single event or person to pin blame on???

As with most things in life, there's a series of events that cumulate that can turn the fortunes.

You can go back to when we were doing well, even with Whiteman, and folk were still unhappy with the way we were playing, often being accused of fannying around with it at the back, no players were safe from criticism including Whiteman who was accused of playing too deep.

Whiteman was always likely to leave having been subject to earlier transfer enquiries but the board had already persuaded him to sign another contract when he could have walked for nothing, yet, the board are not given any credit for that.

Yes, the board were prepared for his departure however, players like him don't grow on trees but it doesn't help when the man in charge dilly dallies about signing a player to help bridge the gap.

Even after Whiteman left, we still managed to win games although most recognised we were on the edge and struggling to play with much confidence, plus other injuries at the time were not helping, then of course DM jumped ship, deserting the players he'd given a personal guarantee he was here for the long haul.
It was just that we have reached 18 games played this season and looked back at 18 games last season, so there’s a point in asking what do people think went wrong.
Most people on here don’t seem to want to talk about the situation we find ourselves in, when there’s a negative post people jump and defend the club, we are all supporter’s and like to here other peoples comments. I find it strange how people try to defend the manger and back room staff when clearly that’s were you have got to look. People seem to be happy with this rebuilding shite, it’s funny the board have said season after season that it’s a rebuilding exercise, the board gave the manager a budget he was happy with went out early and bought some very poor players and the buck stops there, we simply need a change and quick
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 10:45:19 am by Upton Rover »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012