Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:36:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Not the improvement Baldwin stated  (Read 2027 times)

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
Not the improvement Baldwin stated
« on November 26, 2021, 06:20:37 pm by Canadian Rover »
"Doncaster Rovers are not in a relegation battle, insists Gavin Baldwin"

“As regards a relegation battle, we are nowhere near it at this stage. “

“Richie is clear that he has now got his squad and it is a good League One squad and we now need to start getting results. In the games to date, the results have not been good enough, but we could use the excuses of injuries, Covid and pre-season, but that is almost boring now.

“We have had the conversation on Monday and the line is drawn and it is about the future now. We have got our players now and most of them are back. We have total respect for Richie. The training sessions are really good to watch and the players love them and he is absolutely adamant we have got a decent squad and should now start to pick up results.”

Since this article our league record is won 3 - lost 6 - drew 3
Goals for 9 Goals against 23
Current average league position of the opposition - 13th

Yorkshire Post
By Leon Wobschall
Thursday, 16th September 2021, 10:44 am

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
Re: Not the improvement Baldwin stated
« Reply #1 on November 26, 2021, 07:12:16 pm by steve@dcfd »
A lot has changed with the squad levels declining on a regular basis since then what would he say now

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 26, 2021, 07:30:16 pm by BVB »
"Doncaster Rovers are not in a relegation battle, insists Gavin Baldwin"

“As regards a relegation battle, we are nowhere near it at this stage. “

“Richie is clear that he has now got his squad and it is a good League One squad and we now need to start getting results. In the games to date, the results have not been good enough, but we could use the excuses of injuries, Covid and pre-season, but that is almost boring now.

“We have had the conversation on Monday and the line is drawn and it is about the future now. We have got our players now and most of them are back. We have total respect for Richie. The training sessions are really good to watch and the players love them and he is absolutely adamant we have got a decent squad and should now start to pick up results.”

Since this article our league record is won 3 - lost 6 - drew 3
Goals for 9 Goals against 23
Current average league position of the opposition - 13th

Yorkshire Post
By Leon Wobschall
Thursday, 16th September 2021, 10:44 am

Dear Canadian Rover

Thanks for the memories.

BVB

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 26, 2021, 07:42:47 pm by Canadian Rover »
It's an interesting re-read. I wonder have the goal posts changed? Are the board aware of squad quality? Are we going to see Wellens backed in January or will it be the chopping block if we don't see quick improvements? As Baldwin at the time saw our squad as string for the league.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 26, 2021, 07:54:18 pm by steve@dcfd »
I am not sure Baldwin has the ability to know what is a good squad. Let’s not forget he signed Bogle and Williams and all the 6 young lads. ( None of which are good enough to play league one regularly but he signed them to be part of a squad)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 26, 2021, 07:59:59 pm by Dutch Uncle »
On a technicality if that was written after 6 league games, as it looks like, then we had 1 point from those 6 games. 12 points from 12 games since then represents a sixfold improvement.

Still relegation form though.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 26, 2021, 08:02:29 pm by Padge_DRFC »
His running of the club has been poor the last few years. Some of the players we have go for free that are worth 100s of thousands is a joke.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 26, 2021, 08:36:50 pm by since-1969 »
His running of the club has been poor the last few years. Some of the players we have go for free that are worth 100s of thousands is a joke.
When you let players the likes Alfie May go for £50k and look how he’s performing for Cheltenham and Max Watters for nothing we lost a £1m on him . It makes you wonder does anyone understand the game at any level !!

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 26, 2021, 08:51:13 pm by BVB »
Was the release of those players the decision of Baldwin or the manager in charge at the time.

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 26, 2021, 08:54:42 pm by BVB »

Please provide evidence that “his running of the club had been poor the last few years”, and that “ Some of the players we have go for free that are worth 100s of thousands”.

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 26, 2021, 08:59:38 pm by BVB »
I am not sure Baldwin has the ability to know what is a good squad. Let’s not forget he signed Bogle and Williams and all the 6 young lads. ( None of which are good enough to play league one regularly but he signed them to be part of a squad)

Dear Steve
Did Baldwin sign these players based on his own knowledge, or on the advice of the manager at time.
Thanks
BVB

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 26, 2021, 09:04:13 pm by steve@dcfd »
BvB perhaps the manager assisted with the decision on Bogle and Williams but I don’t know who advised him on the 6 young players. Perhaps Butler on some but don’t know

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on November 26, 2021, 09:18:55 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Should Gavin baldwin.make those decisions? He clearly doesn't but should he?  There is to me a clear problem that every time we change manager its become change the whole squad. Where is the constant? Do we have to leave it all to the manager? Tough one for me.

The point is right on this thread, is it the improvement the article mooted? Clearly not.

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 26, 2021, 09:36:16 pm by BVB »
..and the point being made by some on this thread is that Baldwin is the person who makes the decisions about who stays, who goes and who comes in, which I find incredulous.

I would have thought that the manager at the time (along with relevant scouting, coaching staff) are the ones who present their evidence/thoughts to the board about who stays, who goes, who comes in.

Baldwin merely acts on their say so (based on available finances, as all well run businesses would?).

However, what do I know and I am happy to stand corrected by those more in the know then me.

Regards
BVB

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 27, 2021, 08:02:12 am by Padge_DRFC »
He's the one that will say yes or no to longer deals than 1 year or sorting a decent player's contract earlier than 6 months before they expire.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 27, 2021, 08:15:50 am by Alan Southstand »
It wasn’t the ‘manager at the time’ who decided to scrap the U23’s and Max Watters was part of that squad.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 27, 2021, 09:37:37 am by steve@dcfd »
Richie is clear that he has now got his squad and it is a good League One squad.

Since that statement things have changed especially through injuries and continuing injuries to the squad. Gavin along with the Chairman control the funds available therefore the selection team and manager have to decide who they can get with those funds. If Gavin says a good league one squad then he must believe it is with his limited knowledge of what is a good squad. He’s seen some good players and he’s been CEO while the level of players we've signed we've loaned is declining year on year due to financial constraints. How many of the squad he believes is good would get in the MCCann team/ squad
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 10:08:21 am by steve@dcfd »

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 27, 2021, 10:43:58 am by Upton Rover »
Utter garbage

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 27, 2021, 11:07:18 am by Colin C No.3 »
..and the point being made by some on this thread is that Baldwin is the person who makes the decisions about who stays, who goes and who comes in, which I find incredulous.

I would have thought that the manager at the time (along with relevant scouting, coaching staff) are the ones who present their evidence/thoughts to the board about who stays, who goes, who comes in.

Baldwin merely acts on their say so (based on available finances, as all well run businesses would?).

However, what do I know and I am happy to stand corrected by those more in the know then me.

Regards
BVB

Your opening statement speaks volumes.

‘..the point being made by some on this thread…’ then you go on to legitimise what ‘they say’ being that the CEO (on their say so) decides which players are brought into the club & which are sold!

Get a grip man!

If you truly believe (on the basis of some the blatherings of certain numbskulls that ‘haunt’ this forum) that GB & not the manager at the time makes decisions on what are basically his playing staff then as you finish by saying “..what do I know..” then clearly, you know nothing.

Er, either I’ve not made it clear or you have got the wrong end of the stick, or both.

So just to clarify for you Colin, I DONT believe that Baldwin makes the decisions about who comes and goes - that will be the manager, who then instructs the board/Baldwin to get on with the process.

Please adjust your response accordingly.
Thanks
BVB

My apologies BVB, I’ve removed my post.

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 27, 2021, 11:13:10 am by BVB »

Regards
BVB

Your opening statement speaks volumes.

‘..the point being made by some on this thread…’ then you go on to legitimise what ‘they say’ being that the CEO (on their say so) decides which players are brought into the club & which are sold!

Get a grip man!

If you truly believe (on the basis of some the blatherings of certain numbskulls that ‘haunt’ this forum) that GB & not the manager at the time makes decisions on what are basically his playing staff then as you finish by saying “..what do I know..” then clearly, you know nothing.

Er, either I’ve not made it clear or you have got the wrong end of the stick, or both.

So just to clarify for you Colin, I DONT believe that Baldwin makes the decisions about who comes and goes - that will be the manager, who then instructs the board/Baldwin to get on with the process.

Please adjust your response accordingly.
Thanks
BVB

My apologies BVB, I’ve removed my post.

Cheers Colin.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 27, 2021, 01:11:46 pm by drfchound »
You two ought to remove posts 18 and 19 too then it is all gone forever.  :thumbsup:

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 27, 2021, 02:07:31 pm by ForsolongaRover »
When things are going well there is no doubt that the manager gets the credit, unless there is a flamboyant figure like JR around to grab some of it for himself. Dickov was the target when he was not doing well and Moore certainly caught plenty of flak.

Yet there is an unshakeable belief in Wellens amongst some followers who cannot seem to bring themselves to recognise his shortcomings and responsibilities. Baldwin, in his statement in September was surely wishing to confirm the support of the Board for the manager. The CEO is surely the working director who is responsible for purely business matters and the budget, but there has been no visible evidence of interference on pure footballing matters from above. And Wellens surely has never implied, let alone said that there is any interference.

You cannot disassociate the Board with the current plight and question whether they made the right manager appointment, but they obviously share the belief of what seems a sizeable body of fans that their man can turn it around.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 02:11:16 pm by ForsolongaRover »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 27, 2021, 02:28:41 pm by steve@dcfd »
Utter garbage

If that’s for me look at the squad today and tell me how many would get into the play off squad I’ll start two, the two that was in that squad. 13 of today’s squad are 23 or below.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 03:57:50 pm by steve@dcfd »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012