Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 06:04:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Alfie  (Read 3235 times)

The Beast

• Forum Member
Re: Alfie
« Reply #30 on November 28, 2021, 05:54:54 am by The Beast »
We couldn't do on Tuesday, but Alfie May has scored at Bolton 14th minute.
Big deal, he’s bang average!

So if he's average, having scored 8 this season in League 1, what does that say about our forwards?
We all know the answer to that question. Hats off to him he’s done well at Cheltenham, maybe he needed the move to re-invent himself but when he was here he wasn’t as good as what we had at the time. We are terrible at the moment everyone knows that but what’s this obsession with him?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on November 28, 2021, 08:03:59 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Reality is the clubs move backwards (a lot) and Alfie has stay at his level. We were trying to push on at the time so you have to give the club credit for that. It never worked out too many managers just wanting a quick buck and then Covid seems to have reduced our ambitious massively.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on November 28, 2021, 08:56:24 am by Chris Black come back »
He wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference to this side or our current situation.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on November 28, 2021, 09:19:08 am by dickos1 »
I think he would,
Always chasing down defenders he would improve our high press.
And he knows how to finish, him Taylor and okenabirhie as our front 3 would be very good

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on November 28, 2021, 11:44:10 am by Colin C No.3 »
He lives in a beautiful part of the country, he’s playing & scoring regularly for a club he won a promotion with, he’s playing with his mate Matty Blair, why on earth would he come back to Rovers?

Get over him.

I wish him nothing but continued success in his career.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on November 28, 2021, 01:06:25 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
I don’t think his quality is massive but his enthusiasm is, it spreads throughout a team.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on November 28, 2021, 01:18:43 pm by dickos1 »
He lives in a beautiful part of the country, he’s playing & scoring regularly for a club he won a promotion with, he’s playing with his mate Matty Blair, why on earth would he come back to Rovers?

Get over him.

I wish him nothing but continued success in his career.

He spends the majority of his time in harworth.
Not sure it’s that beautiful

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on November 28, 2021, 01:46:07 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Justin Jackson, Carl Alford, Stuart Elliott, Gareth Taylor, Lewis Guy, Theo Robinson, Curtis Main, Alfie Beastin, Liam Mandeville..please come back, all is forgiven!! No? OK fair do's, the fans didn't think you were good enough!!

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on November 28, 2021, 03:59:28 pm by phil old leake »
He might be bang average beast but it’s a step up from fxxxing useless

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on November 28, 2021, 07:32:53 pm by The Beast »
Yes we are awful agreed but it’s monotonous going on about him all the time, when he was here he was a fringe player, he wasn’t good enough, we let him go and he’s done well, fair play to him, he’s a top lad deserves his success!
Fej is miles better than him but he’s injured, likewise with Taylor. We didn’t know they’d injured, it’s easy to say we should’ve kept him in hindsight.
The big thing for me is that we’re getting bullied week in week out, if we had Alfie how would that differ?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on November 28, 2021, 09:08:11 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Taylor better than Alfie? Really?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on November 28, 2021, 09:15:11 pm by scawsby steve »
Yes we are awful agreed but it’s monotonous going on about him all the time, when he was here he was a fringe player, he wasn’t good enough, we let him go and he’s done well, fair play to him, he’s a top lad deserves his success!
Fej is miles better than him but he’s injured, likewise with Taylor. We didn’t know they’d injured, it’s easy to say we should’ve kept him in hindsight.
The big thing for me is that we’re getting bullied week in week out, if we had Alfie how would that differ?

I agree with all of that apart from Taylor. He's lots of pace, and nothing else. He rarely scores, and his end product, particularly with crosses, is often poor.

Add to that the fact that he's injury prone, which makes me question why he was given a 3 year contract.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on November 29, 2021, 10:30:09 am by drfchound »
SS, I remember when that contract was awarded that people were wetting their pants about it and saying it was a statement of intent by the club.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on November 29, 2021, 12:54:37 pm by The Beast »
Definitely! Did anyone actually watch Alfie when he played for Rovers, he was a yard off the pace, the opponent’s centre half would be smoking a cigar!
It was like watching a kid getting pushed off the ball by his dad. Taylor’s final ball is crap but at least he stretches the game and has got the pace to get goal side of his marker. Taylor’s goal ratio isn’t great but it’s better than Alfie’s when he was here. He is injury prone like you say, can’t argue with that but that’s maybe because he’s an athlete, unlike Alfie.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on November 29, 2021, 12:55:03 pm by i_ateallthepies »

I agree with all of that apart from Taylor. He's lots of pace, and nothing else. He rarely scores, and his end product, particularly with crosses, is often poor.

Add to that the fact that he's injury prone, which makes me question why he was given a 3 year contract.

Taylor's recent injury was a contact injury when he committed 100% to a 50/50 challenge and was injured as a result.  Not sure that makes him injury prone.  Nevertheless, completely agree with your point about his lack of end product.

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on November 29, 2021, 01:12:01 pm by Plumbster »
I also think Alfie has continued to improve since he left us

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on November 29, 2021, 01:18:48 pm by Campsall rover »
Why anyone is talking about Alfie May is beyond me.

He went ages ago. Get over him. He was not good enough to be a regular starter when he was with us. Maybe he would be now but quite frankly what has he got to do with our present predicament i do not know.
He plays for Cheltenham Town. Wish him well, end of.

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on November 29, 2021, 01:23:49 pm by Plumbster »
Chill!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on November 29, 2021, 01:30:24 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Definitely! Did anyone actually watch Alfie when he played for Rovers, he was a yard off the pace, the opponent’s centre half would be smoking a cigar!
It was like watching a kid getting pushed off the ball by his dad. Taylor’s final ball is crap but at least he stretches the game and has got the pace to get goal side of his marker. Taylor’s goal ratio isn’t great but it’s better than Alfie’s when he was here. He is injury prone like you say, can’t argue with that but that’s maybe because he’s an athlete, unlike Alfie.
May was going through a learning curve of professional league football when he was with us, and he was clearly getting better and better. Had he been kept here he would have been giving us now what he is giving Cheltenham, and do we need that now!

I know football is all about opinions but If Taylor is better than May then perhaps Cheltenham would do themselves a favour and swap?

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on November 29, 2021, 01:32:29 pm by jamesrover17 »
Why anyone is talking about Alfie May is beyond me.

He went ages ago. Get over him. He was not good enough to be a regular starter when he was with us. Maybe he would be now but quite frankly what has he got to do with our present predicament i do not know.
He plays for Cheltenham Town. Wish him well, end of.

Thank god, someone else gets it!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on November 29, 2021, 01:42:59 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Two managers saw Alfie as a fringe player and not part of the vision of where they wanted the club to be. Same with Blair.

Both of them wanted the opportunity to play more games and be very much part of a first team and credit to them, we're both prepared to drop down a League to find a new home.

As much as we loved Alfie's attitude and the way he played the game, I don't think there were many at the time insisting that Alfie should be a starter.

No doubt Alfie would show up well in our team at the moment but times moved on. He's not our player. Get over it.

There's folk saying we let the likes of  Halliday,  and Andrew before him, go. They were poor defenders, inconsistent performers and neither deserved improved terms. They thought it was time to move on. Fair play to them.

Then there's Wright. The young centre half who never quite realises his potential and suffered injury after injury. Not short term injuries either. Once again, a player who if he thinks he can do better elsewhere wasn't deserving of improved terms at the time. Obviously unfortunate that he got injured when he did.

I think the only player that I was sad to see leave was James however, you can understand he wanted to take that opportunity to play in the Championship.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but let's not exaggerate these former players value to the club at the time they were offered new contracts.  The managers of the day play a big part in determining their value at the time.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on November 29, 2021, 02:05:32 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
May was going through a learning curve of professional league football when he was with us, and he was clearly getting better and better. Had he been kept here he would have been giving us now what he is giving Cheltenham, and do we need that now!

I know football is all about opinions but If Taylor is better than May then perhaps Cheltenham would do themselves a favour and swap?

I'm with you on that. I thought Alfie had quite alot in his locker and I could see him developing into an advanced midfield player, not too dissimilar to the role Copps played towards the end. He pushed and probed, used his skill to make up for his stature but never shied away from giving 100%. Of course  a player like him who loves to score goals even if he couldn't  command a no 9 or no 10 shirt, was still valuable to the team.

But. If you're in DMs shoes when Alfie walks in the door and says "Gaffer, I want to be playing more games, I think I need to leave. Where do I stand?" It's not as easy as some folk make out.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on November 29, 2021, 04:01:38 pm by ravenrover »
Or alternatively in the real world
Come in Alfie, you don't figure in my plans find yourself a new club

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on November 29, 2021, 04:05:48 pm by steve@dcfd »
Yes you are right DBR he wanted to play more games and he was not getting them here. But also it was a player off the wage bill to allow the signing with a fee of Okenabirhie so that did help him leaving.

Or If you want to bring a player in one as to leave first sounds familiar
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 04:08:25 pm by steve@dcfd »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012