Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 05:19:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Wellens interview after Burton  (Read 5386 times)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Wellens interview after Burton
« Reply #60 on November 28, 2021, 10:13:53 pm by Campsall rover »
dickos did you go yesterday?

If you did can you tell me what the game plan was. 
Was that performance acceptable. Did most of the players give 100% effort and did they look as they knew what to do in terms of trying to score a goal.

We can all accept we have never had our strongest 11 on the pitch at any time  this season.
We can all accept with the budget RW had he was unable to bring in all the players he wanted and had to compromise in certain positions to get enough numbers.

That though does not excuse what we saw yesterday.
All 11 that started yesterday have played enough football to be able to muster some attacking intent with some end product. Shots on goal. You can’t win football matches if you do not create chances and if you don’t shoot.
We did not test the Burton Keeper once. We had only 2 shots in the entire 94 mins.
We looked like a team that had never played together before. A team without any sort of game plan. 

Is that acceptable to you after 4 months. Has the manager not got any responsibility for how his team performs. Did we not have enough ability on the pitch yesterday to produce better than that? Yes we did.
Sorry time for excuses is over. We need some proper performances. I can accept losing to a better team if we gave it 100% .
I cannot accept that dross yesterday and the buck stops with the manager end of.
It is time RW started to be the manager he wants to be. 

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on November 28, 2021, 10:20:14 pm by dickos1 »
He's not gonna shag you, dickos.

How do you know

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on November 28, 2021, 10:30:00 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Bloody hell know it's bad when Campsall is saying this!

All this we signed terrible players because there wasn't the money that Dickos spouts is plain wrong. Most of Wellens signings played a fair number of L1 games before. They aren't rookies from the conference like Thomas or Bingham. We were mostly happy with the signings in the summer because on paper they fit what the needed.

Hiwula, Williams, Close, Dodoo all played plenty at L1 level. Even Dan Gardener played 30 odd times for Wigan a team that consolidated last season in this division. Then we had loanees which is normal they often don't come with a lot of experience but we did get 3 junior internationals in so all good pedigree. Not the cheap ones that the parent club doesn't have an interest in.

Have a look at the 11s Gillingham, Cheltenham, Wimbledon, Morecambe, Cambridge, Shrews and Fleetwood picked this weekend all have similar quality on paper based on past performance. I'm certainly not seeing many standout names nothing that makes me put my hands up and say you know what we've been out gunned nothing we can do. 

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on November 28, 2021, 10:46:49 pm by dickos1 »

All this we signed terrible players because there wasn't the money that Dickos spouts is plain wrong. Most of Wellens signings played a fair number of L1 games before. They aren't rookies from the conference like Thomas or Bingham. We were mostly happy with the signings in the summer because on paper they fit what the needed.

Hiwula, Williams, Close, Dodoo all played plenty at L1 level. Even Dan Gardener played 30 odd times for Wigan a team that consolidated last season in this division. Then we had loanees which is normal they often don't come with a lot of experience but we did get 3 junior internationals in so all good pedigree. Not the cheap ones that the parent club doesn't have an interest in.

Have a look at the 11s Gillingham, Cheltenham, Wimbledon, Morecambe, Cambridge, Shrews and Fleetwood picked this weekend all have similar quality on paper based on past performance. I'm certainly not seeing many standout names nothing that makes me put my hands up and say you know what we've been out gunned nothing we can do. 

Dickos has never said we signed terrible players, when you have to make stuff up to make your point then that should tell you your point is nonsense

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on November 28, 2021, 10:47:55 pm by danumdon »

Was that performance acceptable. Did most of the players give 100% effort and did they look as they knew what to do in terms of trying to score a goal.

We can all accept we have never had our strongest 11 on the pitch at any time  this season.
We can all accept with the budget RW had he was unable to bring in all the players he wanted and had to compromise in certain positions to get enough numbers.

All 11 that started yesterday have played enough football to be able to muster some attacking intent with some end product. Shots on goal. You can’t win football matches if you do not create chances and if you don’t shoot.
We did not test the Burton Keeper once. We had only 2 shots in the entire 94 mins.
We looked like a team that had never played together before. A team without any sort of game plan. 

Is that acceptable to you after 4 months. Has the manager not got any responsibility for how his team performs. Did we not have enough ability on the pitch yesterday to produce better than that? Yes we did.
Sorry time for excuses is over. We need some proper performances. I can accept losing to a better team if we gave it 100% .
I cannot accept that dross yesterday and the buck stops with the manager end of.

I see you've been bit by the lynch em high brigade then Campsall.

You obviously read Jonathan's post giving some reasons why the team on the pitch (RW's team)could not give 100% or even attempt to produce the required game plan.

These are the only creditable players we have at this time, he can't or wont play the youth team and destroy their careers before they start, what else could he do? this is our lot until the transfer window opens, even then it will be down to what the board will sanction as to who or what we get, you know this, its how the board have approached every season since they started, its not going to change now because we have some injuries to a small squad, what they may do is sanction some additional funds to try to cover some gaps but wont throw the house at it, its their style, we all know that.

Some on here come across as resentful agitators, some especially arrogant and pompous ones, who should know better even worse.

Remind me again who we supposedly support.

This has been our lot and worse for as long as I've been watching Rovers, football is always cyclical, RW needs to be given time to right our wrongs, we gave SOD the time and space to work his magic. Lets get off RW's back and give him the chance to as the board will to implement his vision.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on November 29, 2021, 07:24:55 am by roversdude »
Without wanting to put words in CR’s mouth I think his frustration mirrors mine in the abject apathy the showed on Saturday and Richie’s failure to get them to expel an ounce of energy. Overall the recruitment was not too bad it’s the injuries that have (excuse the pun) crippled us.
At Burton Richie should have either given them the hairdryer treatment or a cuddle whatever was needed at halftime to prevent a repeat of the first half - unfortunately what we witnessed was at best a repeat performance although I would say it was worse

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on November 29, 2021, 07:32:38 am by sedwardsdrfc »

Dickos has never said we signed terrible players, when you have to make stuff up to make your point then that should tell you your point is nonsense

Aye but when someone else has “a perfect analysis” saying we’ve signed what we have because we can’t afford any better (probably true) in way of excuse for our season. It strongly suggests that the players we’ve been able to sign are at the level where we find ourselves now.

Wellens himself says he can’t do anything with the squad we have this also suggests he signed bad players. Anyone defending him is saying the same I.e. not the managers fault we’re getting relegated look at what he has to work with.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on November 29, 2021, 07:35:13 am by since-1969 »
I’ve been say this for months that Wellens was out of his depth and get lambasted for being anti- the board.

Its Baldwin ‘n’ Co who need to take responsibility for the position they’ve put Wellens in . We may not have been able to put a full budget together when players ARE available along with better choice , which I do not understand, as they are preparing another budget for January when only cast offs will be available. 

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on November 29, 2021, 09:22:19 am by Campsall rover »
Without wanting to put words in CR’s mouth I think his frustration mirrors mine in the abject apathy the showed on Saturday and Richie’s failure to get them to expel an ounce of energy. Overall the recruitment was not too bad it’s the injuries that have (excuse the pun) crippled us.
At Burton Richie should have either given them the hairdryer treatment or a cuddle whatever was needed at halftime to prevent a repeat of the first half - unfortunately what we witnessed was at best a repeat performance although I would say it was worse
Absolutely roversdude.
We expect 100% effort and we expect to see some sort of game plan with some attacking intent involved in that game plan.
We were playing Burton Albion a bang average at best League 1 team not a top Championship team where we would expect to be back to the wall for most of the game.
We played like a total set of strangers who were playing their first game together.

The Mansfield game on Saturday is now massive. We simply have to win.  No excuses, Win Win Win
Need a 3rd round tie hopefully a big one to boost the coffers.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on November 29, 2021, 09:38:17 am by RugbyRover »
Absolutely roversdude.
We expect 100% effort and we expect to see some sort of game plan with some attacking intent involved in that game plan.
We were playing Burton Albion a bang average at best League 1 team not a top Championship team where we would expect to be back to the wall for most of the game.
We played like a total set of strangers who were playing their first game together.

The Mansfield game on Saturday is now massive. We simply have to win.  No excuses, Win Win Win

"We played like a total set of strangers who were playing their first game together."

How many times would you say that team had played together then?  :unsure:

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on November 29, 2021, 09:40:50 am by ditch_drfc »
We sign the players we sign (whether permanent or loan) because it’s what we can afford.

It’s very easy to pick out numbers and criticise, but if you look beneath that you may also want to bear in mind:

- Tommy Rowe was playing at centre half.

- Ben Close - we’ve missed him recently, this was his first game back and he got injured in the first half and was subbed at half time.

- Joe Dodoo is trying hard but he’s not a natural goalscorer and he’s struggling in that respect. He’s here not because we chose him, but because we had a shambolic end to the transfer window and were left with a choice of which unemployed players we could afford.

- Aiden Barlow was brought in as a (cheap) punt to develop, not necessarily for now. Yesterday he found himself basically replacing the role of James Coppinger.

- Jordy Hiwula - I’d admit he’s looked a questionable judgement so far, but there’s also something there. Yesterday he played with an injury because we had little or no alternative.

So it’s not quite all as clean cut as the headline numbers make it appear. But we know what our supporters are like.

Perfect analysis, which nobody seems to be able to come back on.
Just carrying on ignoring these facts,
“But but but he signed 9 of the starting 11, but but we only had 3 injuries”

Very little of this is facts - it's all opinions. Here's some facts:

Wellens knew the budget before he joined. He signed all of the above players. This is his team.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on November 29, 2021, 09:48:39 am by roversdude »
Unless training was cancelled last week there was time for the 11 that started to have worked on a game plan.
I’ve defended Richie to the hilt but I just can not and will not defend what we witnessed on Saturday.
Does he still have my backing - yes but we need some consistent (good) performances. If he can’t deliver on that then serious consideration needs to be given to our management

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on November 29, 2021, 10:44:53 am by Campsall rover »
Absolutely roversdude.

"We played like a total set of strangers who were playing their first game together."

The exact 11 that started? No idea. Possibly not one. Maybe 10 of them have played quite a few games together.  Sorry Rugby Rover that is trying to find excuses for that performance to an absolute maximum.

Sorry we had 11 professional footballers playing in that match and we should expect better.
If your happy with that level of performance then that is your prerogative. I was not. It was not acceptable.

Look i I have been defending RW all season for the reasons we all know that have hindered our season.
But a time comes when those excuses start to wear a bit thin. That time has arrived imo.

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on November 29, 2021, 11:34:58 am by acacia94 »
Remember vividly Wellens outside Whaddon Road after the Cheltenham game where I think we needed to either win or draw to get promoted automatically. He was with some club people but was fuming. Ranting, swearing every third word and generally slagging everybody else off about the performance. Always remember thinking that's a bit low quality and he'll never make a manager being like that in public. He wasn't trying to conceal his anger. It was a full on fuming, spitting, barrage. The bloke seems far too emotional and bombastic. I know there'll be examples of great managers that displayed those traits but I'm not seeing greatness with Richie.

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on November 29, 2021, 11:36:31 am by anton123 »
The question that should of been asked is
We are probably going to be 10-12 pints cut adrift come January, do u believe the board will back u to put a team together to claw that back after January

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on November 29, 2021, 12:57:53 pm by RugbyRover »
Absolutely roversdude.

The exact 11 that started? No idea. Possibly not one. Maybe 10 of them have played quite a few games together.  Sorry Rugby Rover that is trying to find excuses for that performance to an absolute maximum.

Sorry we had 11 professional footballers playing in that match and we should expect better.
If your happy with that level of performance then that is your prerogative. I was not. It was not acceptable.

Look i I have been defending RW all season for the reasons we all know that have hindered our season.
But a time comes when those excuses start to wear a bit thin. That time has arrived imo.

I don't accept that level of performance. I'm as hacked off as everyone else.

But there are valid reasons for it and I accept those reasons. Just because they are the same reasons as earlier in the season doesn't make them any less valid. Just because we're bored of listening to the fact that we can't put a viable team out because of the injuries doesn't make it less valid.

Players are lacking in confidence that's plain to see. Wellens is feeling the stress of it all, that's plain too. Maybe they all need a bit of support to see them through?

Big Picture is that the previous two managers shafted the club and the Board don't want to spend cash to give us the players needed to rectify the situation. If we don't have the budget to compete all we can do is build up slowly from the shambles created by Messers McCann and Moore. This is going to take time and patience, lots of it.

Wellens wants to build something good at the club. Compared to the two previous snakes that should be applauded and supported. He has certainly been very unlucky with everything that's been thrown at him. Maybe we should sack him cos he's unlucky?

Think about the other two leading candidates when we took on Wellens. The guy who ended up at Morecambe and the reserve coach at QPR. What does that tell you? - that there was no one else really interested in the job. Why? because everyone in football world knows that Rovers have no friggin' money. No one is daft enough to touch us with a bargepole.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on November 29, 2021, 01:22:22 pm by Jonathan »
We sign the players we sign (whether permanent or loan) because it’s what we can afford.

It’s very easy to pick out numbers and criticise, but if you look beneath that you may also want to bear in mind:

- Ben Close - we’ve missed him recently, this was his first game back and he got injured in the first half and was subbed at half time.

- Joe Dodoo is trying hard but he’s not a natural goalscorer and he’s struggling in that respect. He’s here not because we chose him, but because we had a shambolic end to the transfer window and were left with a choice of which unemployed players we could afford.

- Aiden Barlow was brought in as a (cheap) punt to develop, not necessarily for now. Yesterday he found himself basically replacing the role of James Coppinger.

- Jordy Hiwula - I’d admit he’s looked a questionable judgement so far, but there’s also something there. Yesterday he played with an injury because we had little or no alternative.

So it’s not quite all as clean cut as the headline numbers make it appear. But we know what our supporters are like.

Wellens knew the budget before he joined. He signed all of the above players. This is his team.

Tommy Rowe played at centre half - fact.

Ben Close was subbed at half time - fact. 

Joe Dodoo is not a natural goalscorer and was brought in because we failed on deadline day - does anyone have a different opinion?

Aiden Barlow was brought in as a development player - fact (Wellens said it when we signed him).

Jordy Hiwula played with an injury - this isn’t my opinion, it’s based on information provided in the post match interview.

So when you say very little of it is fact and it’s all opinion… the fact is you’re wrong.

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on November 29, 2021, 01:37:24 pm by Plumbster »
I think we are at an impasse- on one side we have another list of the undoubted challenges RW has faced, on the other we have questions re recruitment decisions, personal style, progress, tactics and motivation.  Where each of us stand on this is just down to opinions, the most important of which is the Board’s and time will tell where they land on this

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on November 29, 2021, 02:05:13 pm by Alan Southstand »
Ask yourselves what is the common denominator?

Rugby has hit the nail on the head - the pot is empty & there was very little left in it when RW was given the job.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on November 29, 2021, 02:12:26 pm by scawsby steve »

You obviously read Jonathan's post giving some reasons why the team on the pitch (RW's team)could not give 100% or even attempt to produce the required game plan.

These are the only creditable players we have at this time, he can't or wont play the youth team and destroy their careers before they start, what else could he do? this is our lot until the transfer window opens, even then it will be down to what the board will sanction as to who or what we get, you know this, its how the board have approached every season since they started, its not going to change now because we have some injuries to a small squad, what they may do is sanction some additional funds to try to cover some gaps but wont throw the house at it, its their style, we all know that.

Some on here come across as resentful agitators, some especially arrogant and pompous ones, who should know better even worse.

This has been our lot and worse for as long as I've been watching Rovers, football is always cyclical, RW needs to be given time to right our wrongs, we gave SOD the time and space to work his magic. Lets get off RW's back and give him the chance to as the board will to implement his vision.

What a patronising, condescending, arrogant post. Do you think the only real supporters are those who share your opinions?

Spare the lectures, please.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on November 29, 2021, 02:23:23 pm by ditch_drfc »

Tommy Rowe played at centre half - fact.

Ben Close was subbed at half time - fact. 

Joe Dodoo is not a natural goalscorer and was brought in because we failed on deadline day - does anyone have a different opinion?

Aiden Barlow was brought in as a development player - fact (Wellens said it when we signed him).

Jordy Hiwula played with an injury - this isn’t my opinion, it’s based on information provided in the post match interview.

So when you say very little of it is fact and it’s all opinion… the fact is you’re wrong.

Speaks volumes that you're resorting to "I'm right you're wrong" like a five year old  :lol:

Crux of it is that these are Wellens' players. He signed them all. Including Dodoo, despite your alternative facts that "He’s here not because we chose him". He knew the budget before he signed up as manager. When he comes out trashing the players - this is a situation of his making.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on November 29, 2021, 02:39:59 pm by sha66y »

And if you break that down….take a moment to consider…then digest it’s importance…
You will probably come to the right conclusion, you won’t like it!…..but it will make more sense…

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on November 29, 2021, 02:42:23 pm by sha66y »
The question that should of been asked is
We are probably going to be 10-12 pints cut adrift come January, do u believe the board will back u to put a team together to claw that back after January

I’ll drink to that!

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on November 29, 2021, 02:43:49 pm by steve@dcfd »
He was signed by the selection team as every player this season because they had the right DNA ( Gavins Words) whether they were first or seventh choice we don’t know. But they should all give 100% when playing and Richie should stand by these players they’ve all we’ve got at this moment in time. We know he’s frustrated we all are we go again I believe until the transfer window it’s going to be very hard. We have never had a full squad which as been disappointing.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on November 29, 2021, 07:02:15 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
I would love it if we could get them all fit at the same time. Never known a run as bad as this with injuries.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on November 29, 2021, 07:53:45 pm by danumdon »

What a patronising, condescending, arrogant post. Do you think the only real supporters are those who share your opinions?

You've completely taken the post out of all context,

Nowhere does it belittle fans for having different views to mine, nowhere does it mention who is a real fan or not, i positively welcome supporters having their own point of view, if i didn't why would i or anyone post a thing on a board like this.

What i do have an issue with is certain people taking great pleasure some would even say relishing the prospect of our current dire predicament.

Anyone and everyone can have their say and point of view, i may not agree with it but I'd defend your right to have it.

Windup merchants and snide agitators can do one,

Which camp do you fall in?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on November 29, 2021, 08:12:29 pm by scawsby steve »

Nowhere does it belittle fans for having different views to mine, nowhere does it mention who is a real fan or not, i positively welcome supporters having their own point of view, if i didn't why would i or anyone post a thing on a board like this.

What i do have an issue with is certain people taking great pleasure some would even say relishing the prospect of our current dire predicament.

Anyone and everyone can have their say and point of view, i may not agree with it but I'd defend your right to have it.

Your last sentence completely negates the rest of your post.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on November 29, 2021, 08:16:03 pm by danumdon »

The last sentence only relates to the previous one above.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on November 29, 2021, 08:22:39 pm by scawsby steve »

So you're accusing me of being a wind-up merchant or a snide agitator?

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on November 29, 2021, 08:35:50 pm by danumdon »

So you're accusing me of being a wind-up merchant or a snide agitator?

Because your accusing me of a " patronising, condersending and arrogant post" should i be thinking differently?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012