Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 09:23:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Going, going ..... the right to protest, hmmm where does that remind of?  (Read 2088 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
''Jailed for 51 weeks for protesting? Britain is becoming a police state by stealth''

George Monbiot

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/01/imprisoned-51-weeks-protesting-britain-police-state

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
Why does everything in this country have to be twisted to fit left wing agendas

Agree or disagree with this article this paragraph should be about the right to protest NOT. 

“ Existing stop and search powers are used disproportionately against Black and Brown people, who are six times as likely to be stopped as white people. The new powers would create an even greater disincentive for people of colour to protest. Then the media can continue to berate protest movements for being overwhelmingly white and unrepresentative.”

What the hell has that paragraph got to do with this article

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
It's in the paragraph itself phil.

Ldr

• Forum Member
Re: Going, going ..... the right to protest, hmmm where does that remind of?
« Reply #3 on December 02, 2021, 09:16:27 am by Ldr »
Why does everything in this country have to be twisted to fit left wing agendas

Agree or disagree with this article this paragraph should be about the right to protest NOT. 

“ Existing stop and search powers are used disproportionately against Black and Brown people, who are six times as likely to be stopped as white people. The new powers would create an even greater disincentive for people of colour to protest. Then the media can continue to berate protest movements for being overwhelmingly white and unrepresentative.”

What the hell has that paragraph got to do with this article

The guardian has as much an agenda as any media. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to give their head a wobble

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Op about the changing shape of the right to protest, two replies neither addressing the main issue of the op but pushing their own agendas.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 02, 2021, 09:25:31 am by Ldr »
Op about the changing shape of the right to protest, two replies neither addressing the main issue of the op but pushing their own agendas.

I was clearly addressing Phil not the OP Syd mate. Nice try though. You keeping well?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
maybe so, any comment on the fact the government are restricting the right to protest?

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 02, 2021, 09:36:25 am by Ldr »
Torn Syd, definite reaction to XR and latterly IB but are they patsies paid to protest to provoke support for this?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Torn Syd, definite reaction to XR and latterly IB but are they patsies paid to protest to provoke support for this?

And you know this because?

Here's an interesting series .................

(Tory Manifesto) ''Boris Johnson is urged to fulfil £9bn UK household insulation pledge
PM’s adviser Dominic Cummings has pushed for cash to be spent on building homes instead'' FT

''Audit office blames UK government for botched £1.5bn green homes scheme
Spending watchdog says home insulation drive was fatally rushed and missed chance to cut heating bills and create jobs''

IB (and XR) protests embarrasses government for failure to IB is in manifesto ................. government answer to this .... increase penalties for protestors.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 02, 2021, 09:47:23 am by Ldr »
I don’t, hence the question mark

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
I leave you to talk to phil then

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
The plod are too busy taking a knee at protests to do anything else.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
''Jailed for 51 weeks for protesting? Britain is becoming a police state by stealth''

George Monbiot

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/01/imprisoned-51-weeks-protesting-britain-police-state

Another load of lefty Woke clap trap even had to bring stop and search in to get his 300 words pay!
Anything in the Guardian about 2020 being the worst year for Anti Semetic attacks???

phil old leake

• Forum Member
That was my original response also Sproty

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
gawd, it's like listening to Statler and Waldorf

normal rules

• Forum Member
Protest on the whole is facilitated, not obstructed, across the board by police forces in the uk.
This bill is targeted at the most extreme and disruptive forms of protest. It can’t be right that people should be allowed to glue themselves to roads where emergency service vehicles need to get around on. In some cases to save life.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
There's a line isn't there?  Where's the right of the lady who couldn't get to hospital to see her mother, the ambulance that couldn't get to it's patient, or the workers who couldn't get to their office, hospital, supermarket etc etc?

The right to protest is fine, but repeatedly blocking roads and causing the above crosses that line.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
Normal I’m afraid you’re wrong if you live in Sydney’s world

Where everything has an agenda and everyone appears to hate people whether they do or not

Wouldn’t the world be a nicer place without agenda seeking lefties who can’t see anything but their own point of view and bigotry

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
The issue i see is that there are already laws in place to protect the public from numbskulls such as Insulate Britain and their barmy, disruptive methods. But the laws are not enforced properly and by and large, the protestors aren't removed immediately and punished for the disruption.

Then they keep returning and doing the same thing.

We don't need new laws. Just enforce the old ones properly.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
Colin
What laws are you referring to that aren’t enforced

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
Colin
What laws are you referring to that aren’t enforced

Weren't the Insulate Britain protesters allowed to block public highways on numerous occasions without being instantly forcibly removed and they were threatened with fines and legal action and they just kept returning? Forgive me if i have the wrong facts. I know some of them did get prison sentences in the end.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Protest on the whole is facilitated, not obstructed, across the board by police forces in the uk.
This bill is targeted at the most extreme and disruptive forms of protest. It can’t be right that people should be allowed to glue themselves to roads where emergency service vehicles need to get around on. In some cases to save life.

The point is, the Bill is specifically NOT written in a way that only targets extreme forms of protest. There's a lready legislation for that.

This Bill gives the Home Secretary sweeping powers to take action against protests previously accepted as part of the democratic process.

All it needs is a Home Secretary sufficiently extreme to wield it and ban protests for being too loud for example.

It's the playbook of the far right authoritarian across the world. And Patel is cut from the same cloth.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
Colin you are right there are laws in place such as obstructing the highway

https://greenandblackcross.org/guides/laws/3-obstruction-of-the-highway/?print=page

The maximum punishment is £1000 and first time offenders less

There are also potentially public order offences depending on what the offenders are doing.

I think the new laws probably carry greater punishments and hopefully a greater deterrent

phil old leake

• Forum Member
Not biased in any way there then Billy

Not a Tory voter then or a fan of the Home Secretary

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on December 05, 2021, 12:49:40 pm by tyke1962 »
This only works in my opinion with the small demos .

Go try arresting the numbers who turned up in central London in 1990 for the poll tax demonstration or the Iraq war .

You could arrest the leaders I guess but  with those kind of numbers behind you then you'd only make martyrs out of them and lose public opinion .

On an absolute hiding to nowt here in my opinion .

If the cause is right , has the numbers then good luck stopping the public .

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
I struggle to see how anyone who cares about democracy or just basic decency could be a fan of this Home Secretary. But then, right wingers surprise me regularly with what they will normalise.

Patel has:
Been sacked for conducting secret negotiations with another country.

Been found to have had a culture of bullying staff, leading to one attempted suicide and the resignation of the person who compiled the official report on this when it was ignored.

Attempted to deport people against the very rules that her own HO had set up.

Repeatedly and publicly (using tax payers' money) berated lawyers working for free to represent the deportees, despite the Met warning that far right vigilantes were plotting violence on those lawyers.

She's a Poundland fascist demagogue.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member

The UK police are sufficiently weak enough to allow themselves to be politicised at the the drop of a coppers helmet, as in the thatcher years and illegally infiltrating legal left wing protest groups, they themselves are just as likely to push or break the law. I wouldn't be to quick to hold them up as exemplars and champions of democracy NR.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
You really have got issues with authority

You are either on a proper wind up or you’ve really got problems with everything normal

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
You really have got issues with authority

You are either on a proper wind up or you’ve really got problems with everything normal

Please correct anything I have said that isn't true.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
I don’t need to you’re not on the same planet as me or the majority of people thank goodness
If the police are so corrupt and bigoted who do you call when you have been the victim of crime or need help.  The Ghostbusters

TinyPortal © 2005-2012