Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 06:14:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Meet the owners  (Read 14262 times)

Prez

• VSC Member
Meet the owners
« on December 02, 2021, 05:44:15 pm by Prez »
Apologies if already been mentioned, but meet the owners will take place Monday the 13th of December.

Should be fun.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

River Don

• Forum Member
Re: Meet the owners
« Reply #1 on December 02, 2021, 05:52:39 pm by River Don »
A positive thing, I reckon.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 02, 2021, 05:59:32 pm by roversdude »
Be nice if they have a new manager there

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 02, 2021, 06:01:09 pm by vaya »

Big reveal, like Stars In Their Eyes.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 02, 2021, 06:46:44 pm by Padge_DRFC »
No chance. We've never done something quicker than set out.

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 02, 2021, 10:20:02 pm by DRCraig »
Will be very interesting

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 03, 2021, 12:12:30 am by steve@dcfd »
It will be interesting who they will blame?

Will they be appointing a new manager and assistant plus goal keeping coach and set piece coach as the last one although liked was not good at his job. Will they still add to the physio department  who appear have made mistakes with the rehabilitation of injured players.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 12:46:55 am by steve@dcfd »

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 03, 2021, 01:26:01 am by Janso »

Will they be appointing a new manager and assistant plus goal keeping coach and set piece coach as the last one although liked was not good at his job. Will they still add to the physio department  who appear have made mistakes with the rehabilitation of injured players.

Why don't you go along and ask?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 03, 2021, 02:10:30 am by steve@dcfd »

Or the blind leading the blind

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 03, 2021, 09:53:40 am by ravenrover »
Wonder how many of the critics of the Board will turn up to ask questions or express their opinions of the Board to their faces?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 03, 2021, 09:54:34 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I'm sure there was one the same day Dickov was appointed wasn't there?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 03, 2021, 05:31:00 pm by silent majority »
I'm sure there was one the same day Dickov was appointed wasn't there?

There was, well remembered.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 03, 2021, 06:38:26 pm by Janso »
Wonder how many of the critics of the Board will turn up to ask questions or express their opinions of the Board to their faces?

They never do. Amazing how they all seem to be busy on the same night.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 03, 2021, 07:09:00 pm by Campsall rover »
So easy to criticise sat behind a keyboard.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 03, 2021, 07:37:56 pm by karldew »
What time do these normally start and finish? On nights on the 13th but not sure if I could sneak to this first.

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 03, 2021, 07:51:00 pm by andy didcott »
Doors open 1830, meeting starts 1900, usually go on for  60-90 minutes.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on December 03, 2021, 08:06:32 pm by since-1969 »

What .. someone pretending to be a manager? … we just got rid of one those !!

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 03, 2021, 08:23:18 pm by Jonathan »
I’m not one of the ‘Board bashers,’ in fact I hate the mindless ‘Baldwin out’ chanting, but there are mistakes all over this latest episode.

Irrespective of what you make of his general antics and touchline conduct, I actually feel the owners owe Richie Wellens a debt of gratitude for the united front he put on with them. Whichever way you look at it, they failed to secure him the striker he wanted (and very much needed) during the summer transfer window.

Wellens made it very clear we needed a goalscorer (and all of us could see it) once it became clear Fej would be out. The way that window was handled by those in charge of transfers was utterly shambolic. Wellens wanted Grigg, but that didn’t happen. When it became clear Grigg was moving elsewhere the Free Press published another list of goalscoring targets. We got none of them. We ended up going for another option in O’Brien but (and we can blame it on the paperwork all we want) we didn’t get him either. We ended up with Joe Dodoo because we could, and because we had to get something.

Look a bit closer at the above, and none of the above ‘targets’ were anything like each other save for having two arms, two legs and being classed as strikers. They were all very different types of striker, with very different strengths. It smacks of desperation and a real lack of a coherent plan. Was that all Wellens’ fault for a poor recruitment strategy? Possibly and I’m sure blame will be thrown that way, it’s easy now he’s gone, but the club recruited and employed a Talent Identification Manager and if they don’t set the tone and direction then the obvious question is why?

We may turn around now and say we need to learn lessons. But in the aftermath of that shambles they came out defiantly, very much with a view that no mistakes were made and it was just bad luck. Personally I completely disagree with that view, but Wellens (the one managing a team without a recognised goalscorer in the squad) stood alongside them and presented a united front. He made it clear that we’d have to endure pain if we were to take a longer term view of what we need, he relied on the support of the Chairman and the CEO and they agreed (well I assume Blunt did) and we continued. Everyone said they were on the same page. Long term absentees failed to return, and in fact the injury situation got worse. Results improved a little but were still poor, the resources available even worse.

Wellens is ultimately the fall-guy for the fact that we have a squad of players that is not strong enough and not good enough. Wellens may be blamed for recruiting a number of them, and that may be fair, but we go back again to the strategy and the vision. The owners hold the purse strings, they oversaw years of squad depletion and over-reliance on loans, they recruited and employed Wellens, they said what he could have and couldn’t have, they employed a Talent Identification Manager and they either set the strategy or allowed it to proceed without one. They were happy for Wellens to stand by them when they didn’t deliver, but when he needed them to stand by him they lost their bottle and sacked him. I will be very disappointed if they go on to stab him in the back now.

If we are to move forward there needs to be accountability and ownership of mistakes, not shifting of blame. They owe Richie Wellens more than that. He’s been made the fall-guy for a sequence of blunders and if he’s left quietly and with dignity, as it appears, then they owe him the same. They also owe it to themselves, otherwise (to quote ITEN) we’ll sleep walk into the same problems again.

kirk

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 03, 2021, 09:12:48 pm by kirk »
Nows the time more than ever to pull together and show support not only for the new manager but also the board who for me have done a good job during very telling times.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 03, 2021, 09:26:04 pm by danumdon »

You forgot to mention the Pilates instructor, or was that Yoga!!

Give me strength.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 03, 2021, 10:27:42 pm by scawsby steve »
I’m not one of the ‘Board bashers,’ in fact I hate the mindless ‘Baldwin out’ chanting, but there are mistakes all over this latest episode.

Irrespective of what you make of his general antics and touchline conduct, I actually feel the owners owe Richie Wellens a debt of gratitude for the united front he put on with them. Whichever way you look at it, they failed to secure him the striker he wanted (and very much needed) during the summer transfer window.

Wellens made it very clear we needed a goalscorer (and all of us could see it) once it became clear Fej would be out. The way that window was handled by those in charge of transfers was utterly shambolic. Wellens wanted Grigg, but that didn’t happen. When it became clear Grigg was moving elsewhere the Free Press published another list of goalscoring targets. We got none of them. We ended up going for another option in O’Brien but (and we can blame it on the paperwork all we want) we didn’t get him either. We ended up with Joe Dodoo because we could, and because we had to get something.

Look a bit closer at the above, and none of the above ‘targets’ were anything like each other save for having two arms, two legs and being classed as strikers. They were all very different types of striker, with very different strengths. It smacks of desperation and a real lack of a coherent plan. Was that all Wellens’ fault for a poor recruitment strategy? Possibly and I’m sure blame will be thrown that way, it’s easy now he’s gone, but the club recruited and employed a Talent Identification Manager and if they don’t set the tone and direction then the obvious question is why?

We may turn around now and say we need to learn lessons. But in the aftermath of that shambles they came out defiantly, very much with a view that no mistakes were made and it was just bad luck. Personally I completely disagree with that view, but Wellens (the one managing a team without a recognised goalscorer in the squad) stood alongside them and presented a united front. He made it clear that we’d have to endure pain if we were to take a longer term view of what we need, he relied on the support of the Chairman and the CEO and they agreed (well I assume Blunt did) and we continued. Everyone said they were on the same page. Long term absentees failed to return, and in fact the injury situation got worse. Results improved a little but were still poor, the resources available even worse.

Wellens is ultimately the fall-guy for the fact that we have a squad of players that is not strong enough and not good enough. Wellens may be blamed for recruiting a number of them, and that may be fair, but we go back again to the strategy and the vision. The owners hold the purse strings, they oversaw years of squad depletion and over-reliance on loans, they recruited and employed Wellens, they said what he could have and couldn’t have, they employed a Talent Identification Manager and they either set the strategy or allowed it to proceed without one. They were happy for Wellens to stand by them when they didn’t deliver, but when he needed them to stand by him they lost their bottle and sacked him. I will be very disappointed if they go on to stab him in the back now.

If we are to move forward there needs to be accountability and ownership of mistakes, not shifting of blame. They owe Richie Wellens more than that. He’s been made the fall-guy for a sequence of blunders and if he’s left quietly and with dignity, as it appears, then they owe him the same. They also owe it to themselves, otherwise (to quote ITEN) we’ll sleep walk into the same problems again.

I'm looking forward to hearing you put all this forward at the MTO.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on December 03, 2021, 10:41:55 pm by Jonathan »

I'm looking forward to hearing you put all this forward at the MTO.

Perhaps you should find some other things to look forward to.

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on December 03, 2021, 10:47:56 pm by BVB »
Wellens called the shots, Wellens did the recruiting and the board backed him.

Wellens then demonstrated that he couldn’t manage.

It’s him that should be apologising to the
Board and fans for wasting their money and time, not the other way around.

Great player in his time though.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on December 03, 2021, 10:51:05 pm by dickos1 »

Whatever way you want to look at it, there is no way whatsoever you can say the board backed him.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on December 03, 2021, 10:57:18 pm by normal rules »
I can’t see this being a very positive evening.
Sounds like it will be more like a kangaroo court.
Barrack Room lawyers Asking questions over something that is done.
Spilt milk………

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on December 03, 2021, 11:18:40 pm by BVB »

Whatever way you want to look at it, there is no way whatsoever you can say the board backed him.
Dickos -yes I can -  The board backed him - he didn’t replicate.

Gave him the job on his promises.
Gave him the money he knew he would be getting for transfers.
Upped it to support him on transfer day when requested.
Gave him miles of rope to see if he could turn it around contrary to the accumulating evidence about his “style” and performance - a less supportive board would have had him out weeks ago.

I was pleased and hopeful when he was appointed in the same way I was pleased and hopeful when Moore was appointed - both have let Rovers and me down big style.
BVB

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on December 03, 2021, 11:32:50 pm by BVB »
I can’t see this being a very positive evening.
Sounds like it will be more like a kangaroo court.
Barrack Room lawyers Asking questions over something that is done.
Spilt milk………

You’re right Normal - we should just ignore what has happened and not bother with having a forum to discuss / debate / spout all sorts of opinions about a major event which clearly affects our raison d’etre.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on December 03, 2021, 11:39:50 pm by roversdude »
Wonder if there will be a load of keyboards at the MTO for our warriors to hide behind

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on December 03, 2021, 11:42:13 pm by roversdude »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on December 04, 2021, 12:07:02 am by DonnyOsmond »

You forgot to mention the Pilates instructor, or was that Yoga!!

Give me strength.

What's the issue with that? It was improve flexibility which can help on the pitch and reduces injuries too.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012