Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 02:59:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

New poll

GM
29 (25.2%)
Adkins
15 (13%)
McClaren
19 (16.5%)
Neill
27 (23.5%)
Eustace
13 (11.3%)
Barry
12 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Voting closed: December 18, 2021, 09:17:50 am

Author Topic: Next DRFC manager.  (Read 39462 times)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Next DRFC manager.
« Reply #120 on December 19, 2021, 04:33:14 pm by Campsall rover »
Sorry if Iv missed it, but where are we up to with this again please?

Interviews start tomorrow?
Yes they do.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on December 19, 2021, 04:48:34 pm by Campsall rover »
I for one have never said that McCarthy or Adkins or any one else would want a DoF role at DRFC or anywhere else or indeed whether we could afford them as well as having a first team coach.

It was muted was it not in the DFP that the board may go down that route.
Now if they did is it not unreasonable that they are the types they would be looking at.
Not saying they are, just possible names being banded about by myself and others.
If they are not on the radar then who will be for that role? I have not seen anyone else suggested.

Personally I think a conventional manager role is the most likely anyway.

As for some the of the comments about McCarthy and McClaren and their style of play not suitable or achievements add up to Zero.
Well I have never heard such a load of tripe in all my life.

So if we appoint say Gary Mac or Eustace then that is ok because they really have not achieved a thing as managers.

I seriously despair at times.

Who the heck do some people think we are likely to get?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on December 19, 2021, 05:20:31 pm by selby »
  Would someone please explain the term cheap option to me related to us appointing a manager seeing as how we will have disclosed what terms we will pay a manager to the people applying, they are likely to be out of work or looking to advance their careers from a coach at another club and will come with no transfer requirements from us to a third party.
   With the wage structure known by the applicants, all starting on the same footing probably as not being in a contracted situation with another club how can one applicant be more expensive than another.
  In fact any manager coming to us from recent employment such as McCarthy or Adkins if they were on a fixed term contract or rolling contract that has not expired would possibly be taking a wage cut to get back in the game with us if their wages stop if they get another job with another club.
  I find the term confusing, if not a little condescending and stupid. I await explanations with bated breath.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on December 19, 2021, 05:38:23 pm by Campsall rover »
Brian you will be waiting an awful long time to get an answer to your question I fear.

To me there is picking the right option or the wrong one and by heck without the foresight of being able to see the future you don’t know which one you have got until you see how the team performs.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 05:41:37 pm by Campsall rover »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on December 19, 2021, 05:54:27 pm by drfchound »
Brian you will be waiting an awful long time to get an answer to your question I fear.

To me there is picking the right option or the wrong one and by heck without the foresight of being able to see the future you don’t know which one you have got until you see how the team performs.

That is much like life in general Camps.
So many people lecture others about what they should have done.
Hindsight eh.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on December 19, 2021, 11:15:57 pm by Janso »
  Would someone please explain the term cheap option to me related to us appointing a manager seeing as how we will have disclosed what terms we will pay a manager to the people applying, they are likely to be out of work or looking to advance their careers from a coach at another club and will come with no transfer requirements from us to a third party.
   With the wage structure known by the applicants, all starting on the same footing probably as not being in a contracted situation with another club how can one applicant be more expensive than another.
  In fact any manager coming to us from recent employment such as McCarthy or Adkins if they were on a fixed term contract or rolling contract that has not expired would possibly be taking a wage cut to get back in the game with us if their wages stop if they get another job with another club.
  I find the term confusing, if not a little condescending and stupid. I await explanations with bated breath.

Every appointment is the cheap option to some because there's this weird conspiracy that Terry Bramall is trying to bleed the club dry.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on December 19, 2021, 11:16:53 pm by Janso »
Can the board not pick their man, then get someone to stick a huge bundle on him at the bookies to then reinvest their winnings into the playing squad?
I don’t know anything about gambling and bookies but it seems a good way to get some money in…….or is it illegal ?

This in the same realm as spot fixing and you could argue collusion.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on December 20, 2021, 01:46:49 am by karldew »
Does anyone think any announcement could be delayed with a potential break in football?

Will the January funds still be available if fans aren’t allowed in again?

Would a manager want to come in with what could potentially happen in the next couple of weeks?

Can see it being GM for the foreseeable until there is some stability in the footballing world with this f**king virus again.

:scarf:

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #128 on December 20, 2021, 07:32:34 am by roversdude »
Is there another round of interviews after today’s

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on December 20, 2021, 08:02:06 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Does anyone think any announcement could be delayed with a potential break in football?

Would a manager want to come in with what could potentially happen in the next couple of weeks?

Can see it being GM for the foreseeable until there is some stability in the footballing world with this f**king virus again.

Don’t think it should impact getting a manager the sooner we get one the better even if the season is cut short. Think the Jan funds is a valid point if the season gets canned after we’ve signed players and got relegated anyway it’d be a complete waste.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on December 20, 2021, 08:10:43 am by The Beast »

I think managers will be more desperate to be employed knowing they can get their name on the payroll somewhere before things go tits! You did get £20 extra on the jam roll with Covid last year but that’s stopped for now.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on December 20, 2021, 08:11:36 am by DonnyOsmond »

Every appointment is the cheap option to some because there's this weird conspiracy that Terry Bramall is trying to bleed the club dry.

Bramallovic, with respect.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #132 on December 20, 2021, 01:15:42 pm by selby »
  Well the next steps to the end game will be taking part this week and all the guess work can come to an end soon with all we can do will be to get fully behind them and hope that as well as being good at the job we will be employing them to do they are good personalities and carry a bit of good luck along with them.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on December 20, 2021, 01:22:31 pm by Campsall rover »

Compared to Abramavich he is a pauper.

It is a pity TB is not a massive Rovers fan, yes I am sure he as become a fan and takes a very serious interest in the results. Well of course he does. When we win his Rovers flag is on full mast at his house.

Point I am making is if some of us had his wealth we would possibly or probably be prepared to lose more money than he is prepared to do.
If I was worth 500 million + then what’s 50 million,  that would be my attitude because I am a die hard fan who is desperate to see the club progress.
This is not a criticism of TB as it is his money and he runs the club prudently and not recklessly as so many owners do.
Having said what I have, he has probably lost 25 million or more of his money since he joined JR some 14/15 years ago.
But if more had been invested earlier would he have needed to fund the club so heavily each year.
That is an unknown of course but if we had stayed in the championship in 2012 could we have stayed there continuously with that investment in the team.
Average Gates of 11/12.000 more commercial revenue etc etc.

Just a conversation topic for us as not much happening at the moment as we wait all for our new manager to be disclosed.

But would I rather have TB being our benefactor or say Chaneri, Mel Morris, Peter Ridsdale, or a host of other foreign owners then the answer is the former of course.
We have a great deal to be thankful for.

Yes this should have gone on a new thread really. 

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #134 on December 20, 2021, 01:42:24 pm by roverstillidie91 »

It is a pity TB is not a massive Rovers fan, yes I am sure he as become a fan and takes a very serious interest in the results. Well of course he does. When we win his Rovers flag is on full mast at his house.

Point I am making is if some of us had his wealth we would possibly or probably be prepared to lose more money than he is prepared to do.
If I was worth 500 million + then what’s 50 million,  that would be my attitude because I am a die hard fan who is desperate to see the club progress.
This is not a criticism of TB as it is his money and he runs the club prudently and not recklessly as so many owners do.
Having said what I have, he has probably lost 25 million or more of his money since he joined JR some 14/15 years ago.
But if more had been invested earlier would he have needed to fund the club so heavily each year.
That is an unknown of course but if we had stayed in the championship in 2012 could we have stayed there continuously with that investment in the team.

Just a conversation topic for us as not much happening at the moment as we wait all for our new manager to be disclosed.

But would I rather have TB being our benefactor or say Chaneri, Mel Morris, Peter Ridsdale, or a host of other foreign owners then the answer is the former of course.

I think that is where it can be slightly misleading is when you say he is 'worth' 500 million. Just because he is worth 500 million doesn't mean he has 500 million in pure cash ready to spend.

Obviously some people are different like me I'd probably be prepared to lose a bit but where do you stop? JR found that out Football isn't a cheap business to invest in and unfortunately to some fans it is never enough even though they are effectively telling someone how to spend their money.

The problem being in the Championship you are expected to pay 'Championship' wages not 'League One' wages and it then becomes a difficult task to attract players. The wage bill had supposedly got to 9 million pounds per year and I don't believe we get the required attendances to sustain a Championship outfit. We have never really sold the Keepmoat out that many times and I think it was Sheffield United I went to with a relative first game of the reason and you could just tell the atmosphere is so much better because the stadium is a lot more fuller than ours.

I think the model we need to go on is what we kind of got going under Darren Ferguson a few years ago, shrewd signings like Marquis and Whiteman and then sell on for profit. Re-invest in more. Then sell again etc.

TB may also have other interests he pursues in. You don't know the make up of his family. In the MTO event he mentioned having a wife, daughter, grandchildren. He maybe wants to leave some of his wealth to them which you'd imagine would be the case so they can live a comfortable life later on.

He also said his immediate family aren't interested in Football so I believe the way he is running the club is so when he does eventually past it over which in my personal view from what he said his family probably will then it will be set up to be self-sufficient.

I do believe though a lot fans will reflect when TB eventually isn't a benefactor anymore and whom have wanted rid of him and will think they wish he was still here when that time comes.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on December 20, 2021, 01:48:31 pm by MachoMadness »
TB gives an awful lot to local charities and other causes that he feels passionate about. He's big into the God squad so does a lot with religious causes I believe.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on December 20, 2021, 02:11:24 pm by Campsall rover »

If I was worth 500 million + then what%u2019s 50 million,  that would be my attitude because I am a die hard fan who is desperate to see the club progress.

I think that is where it can be slightly misleading is when you say he is 'worth' 500 million. Just because he is worth 500 million doesn't mean he has 500 million in pure cash ready to spend.

Obviously some people are different like me I'd probably be prepared to lose a bit but where do you stop? JR found that out Football isn't a cheap business to invest in and unfortunately to some fans it is never enough even though they are effectively telling someone how to spend their money.

The problem being in the Championship you are expected to pay 'Championship' wages not 'League One' wages and it then becomes a difficult task to attract players. The wage bill had supposedly got to 9 million pounds per year and I don't believe we get the required attendances to sustain a Championship outfit. We have never really sold the Keepmoat out that many times and I think it was Sheffield United I went to with a relative first game of the reason and you could just tell the atmosphere is so much better because the stadium is a lot more fuller than ours.

I think the model we need to go on is what we kind of got going under Darren Ferguson a few years ago, shrewd signings like Marquis and Whiteman and then sell on for profit. Re-invest in more. Then sell again etc.

TB may also have other interests he pursues in. You don't know the make up of his family. In the MTO event he mentioned having a wife, daughter, grandchildren. He maybe wants to leave some of his wealth to them which you'd imagine would be the case so they can live a comfortable life later on.

He also said his immediate family aren't interested in Football so I believe the way he is running the club is so when he does eventually past it over which in my personal view from what he said his family probably will then it will be set up to be self-sufficient.

I do believe though a lot fans will reflect when TB eventually isn't a benefactor anymore and whom have wanted rid of him and will think they wish he was still here when that time comes.
Nothing on there I disagree with. Yes he will not have have 500 million +  liquid of course.

Luton are establishing themselves as a championship club on gates of 10,000 as their decrepit stadium only holds that number. They must be well down on commercial revenue from hospitality being at Kenilworth road

Doing something right down there in Bedfordshire.

Preston ave gate only around 12,000  Millwall 12,000 Barnsley 13,000  so it can be done

Having a good manager and recruitment i is the key.  Selling players on for substantial profits and re investing well as was mentioned. The youth system is vital and as Brian (Selby) keeps saying we need a development team playing a minimum 25/ 30 games a season preferably in a league.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on December 20, 2021, 02:35:15 pm by Campsall rover »
Blackburn gates down to 12.000 this season. Even QPR under 13.000
Yes QPR have wealthy owners. Blackpool also around 12.000
Peterborough below that level and Hull city also who’s gates are slipping season after season.

So please no one tell me DRFC can’t become an established Championship club because anyone who says that does not have the vision imo.

Next time we make that level the infrastructure and sound business footings put down from this board may well enable us to achieve that goal.

What we need right now is a damn good manger who stays with us for the medium term at least. 4/5 years.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on December 20, 2021, 02:38:06 pm by jmt23 »
And there we have it, buying well and selling well - TB is doing the right thing for the long term future of DRFC, ensuring we have a club even if there is no rich owner.

The reason for the struggle this last 2-3 seasons is we have sold well, we just had not recruited well. I think there is some light at the end of the tunnel though with players like Seaman, Olowu and Cam John, but it needs to be better and in the right positions at the right time - its not easy, as we are obviously competing every season for these gems, but they are around.
Unfortunately it only takes recruitment to be slightly wrong and it can have disastrous results.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on December 20, 2021, 03:30:05 pm by MachoMadness »
Anyone else refreshing the odds like mad today? Heard any rumours of Nigel Adkins looking pissed off on the north bridge? John Eustace looking happy outside a cafe in Thorne?

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on December 20, 2021, 03:32:42 pm by ForsolongaRover »
When recruiting players, how many of the last few managers will have thought past their immediate needs? How many of them would see themselves staying beyond a couple of years? Until recently only the odd ex academy player has made it to the first team. It is also significant that most of the players who have gone on to be successful with other clubs have been those with longer contracts. So financially the policy has been relatively short term too.

So overall, the direction has been short-term even though the “vision” may have been presented as long term which sounds better to the fans at Meet The Owners events. We could believe that the Wellens vision was long term supported by the length of contracts he gave out, but his ability was not up to that ambition.

And I am with those who trust TB.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on December 20, 2021, 03:40:13 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Anyone else refreshing the odds like mad today? Heard any rumours of Nigel Adkins looking pissed off on the north bridge? John Eustace looking happy outside a cafe in Thorne?

Interviews aren't in Donny. :(

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on December 20, 2021, 03:52:48 pm by MachoMadness »
I know they're always remote, we just always get rumours of Kevin Keegan seen at Pizza Jim's in town or summat. Doesn't feel right without them.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on December 20, 2021, 04:00:02 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Saw Steve Evans in an all you can eat as I drove by the restaurant. He had his plate piled high.

Just hope we get the appointment right and get on with it so the manager can get to work.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on December 20, 2021, 04:05:39 pm by mushRTID »
I saw Gavin at the keepmoat gone 9am when I was collecting tickets, so if they are remote let’s assume the first wouldn’t start until 10am earliest.

To fit all 5 in today they must be working into the evening surely? I would have thought each one would be minimum 1 hour/1.5 hours.

Unless they started with GM at the stadium.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on December 20, 2021, 04:05:58 pm by Campsall rover »
Hope Adkins was not about to throw himself over the side.
I know this must have been his dream job being a scouser and all that.
After all who the heck are Liverpool and  Everton

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #146 on December 20, 2021, 04:12:35 pm by Campsall rover »
I know they're always remote, we just always get rumours of Kevin Keegan seen at Pizza Jim's in town or summat. Doesn't feel right without them.

I doubt they are always remote.
Why would they be pre COVID?

I would still expect them to be face to face even now.
Body language in interviews can be quite important.
Remote interviews don’t give a full picture.
No pun intended.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on December 20, 2021, 04:15:15 pm by Campsall rover »

Interviews aren't in Donny. :(
Probably in a hotel somewhere not too far away.
Do you have info not in Doncaster?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on December 20, 2021, 04:48:49 pm by MachoMadness »

I doubt they are always remote.
Why would they be pre COVID?

I would still expect them to be face to face even now.
Body language in interviews can be quite important.
Remote interviews don’t give a full picture.
No pun intended.
I meant they're always held away from Donny. Think SM has said they're always in person before, not sure if that's the case this time but would imagine they are.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #149 on December 20, 2021, 05:04:52 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Will be interesting to see if any rumours come out post interview, usually something leaks.  Hopefully the next phase is very soon to get it done before Christmas but I'm sceptical on that.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012