Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 08:17:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: GM  (Read 9963 times)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
Re: GM
« Reply #120 on January 10, 2022, 09:28:27 pm by Jonathan »
A lot been made of the 4 players agreed  and shortly inbound comment in December but I listened to GM interview after the Fleetwood game and that was down to Two possible and a couple of irons in the fire. Someone’s not being straight with the fans.
Are they backing out already,  have we had to look at different players.

Nope!

But I wish supporters wouldn't take what managers say as gospel, remember these guys are juggling with lots of balls at the same time and are not necessarily media trained. Some managers will want to play up their actions and others will play down the situation.

Many a time I've had to question what a manager has had to say when I've been told something different and usually its the manager telling it differently to suit another agenda. Darren Moore was absolutely terrible at that.

It's not about being straight or honest, its just a fact of life.

SM, given that dealing with the media is a massive part of the job nowadays, I find it astonishing that any manager employed in a permanent role hasn’t done media training. I’m not suggestion that GM hasn’t done this already, but if he’s not before embarking on a management career that’s odd

GM comes across as pretty media savvy. And no surprise, he’s worked in football for over 20 years and been interviewed more times than anyone could care to imagine. The notion that he’s some kind of novice is laughable.

I can assure you that the objective of media training is not to ensure that everyone always tells the truth!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on January 11, 2022, 10:48:03 am by silent majority »
A lot been made of the 4 players agreed  and shortly inbound comment in December but I listened to GM interview after the Fleetwood game and that was down to Two possible and a couple of irons in the fire. Someone’s not being straight with the fans.

Nope!

But I wish supporters wouldn't take what managers say as gospel, remember these guys are juggling with lots of balls at the same time and are not necessarily media trained. Some managers will want to play up their actions and others will play down the situation.

Many a time I've had to question what a manager has had to say when I've been told something different and usually its the manager telling it differently to suit another agenda. Darren Moore was absolutely terrible at that.

SM, given that dealing with the media is a massive part of the job nowadays, I find it astonishing that any manager employed in a permanent role hasn’t done media training. I’m not suggestion that GM hasn’t done this already, but if he’s not before embarking on a management career that’s odd

GM comes across as pretty media savvy. And no surprise, he’s worked in football for over 20 years and been interviewed more times than anyone could care to imagine. The notion that he’s some kind of novice is laughable.

I can assure you that the objective of media training is not to ensure that everyone always tells the truth!

Well, I certainly wasn't suggesting that GM was a novice, your words not mine. And I wasn't being specific about any manager apart from DM.

But yes, they all get media training, the question is do they follow that, and the answer is no they don't.

And that's the problem we face, if the club mention signing 4 players and the manager mentions 1 or 2 then it doesn't necessarily mean that the club is now lying to the supporters. Managers very often state something in an interview that hasn't been agreed or sanctioned by the club, yet several years down the line supporters are holding the club responsible for lines uttered such  as 'we have quality strikers lined up to replace etc'

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on January 11, 2022, 12:02:37 pm by ian1980 »
I have no problem with his media interviews. I take a lot of what’s said with a pinch of salt. They may not want to give too much away, play smoke/mirrors or play down interest to get a better deal.

The problem is some people cling to ever word spoken in the media like it’s gospel.

People should just wait for the actually actions to happen, or not, as the case maybe.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on January 11, 2022, 12:35:41 pm by ditch_drfc »

Nope!

Well, I certainly wasn't suggesting that GM was a novice, your words not mine. And I wasn't being specific about any manager apart from DM.

But yes, they all get media training, the question is do they follow that, and the answer is no they don't.

And that's the problem we face, if the club mention signing 4 players and the manager mentions 1 or 2 then it doesn't necessarily mean that the club is now lying to the supporters. Managers very often state something in an interview that hasn't been agreed or sanctioned by the club, yet several years down the line supporters are holding the club responsible for lines uttered such  as 'we have quality strikers lined up to replace etc'

If a manager says strikers are lined up to replace x, then they and the club should quite rightly get held to account on that. The manager is the club.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on January 11, 2022, 12:40:15 pm by Jonathan »

Nope!

I wasn’t being objectionable, in fact I hadn’t read your post above. I was responding about the club appointing a manager that isn’t media trained. Everyone in that kind of role will be, whether formally or informally, media trained and experienced.

“One or two” is just a turn of phrase. People forensically dissect everything and that’s the issue.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on January 11, 2022, 12:47:09 pm by roversdude »
GB saying we have to hold on until next week now !!

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on January 11, 2022, 12:53:27 pm by Jonathan »

Where has this been said? I thought he was interviewed last week and said next week as in this week.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on January 11, 2022, 12:55:08 pm by roversdude »
New interview with Hoden unless it’s a repeat

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on January 11, 2022, 01:01:03 pm by silent majority »

That's not correct. No idea where that's come from but it's not accurate.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #130 on January 11, 2022, 01:04:03 pm by silent majority »

Nope!

If a manager says strikers are lined up to replace x, then they and the club should quite rightly get held to account on that. The manager is the club.

You're missing my point.

It's managers who sometimes say things that stick in supporters memories, but once that managers gone how can you hold the club to account?

If the club do as you say then they'd have to be holding a press conference everyday to correct or confirm what the manager has just said, and that's not going to happen.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on January 11, 2022, 01:04:18 pm by roversdude »
Really hope not SM

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #132 on January 11, 2022, 01:13:31 pm by silent majority »
Really hope not SM

That's the interview from the Press conference last week isn't it? The same one that Radio Sheffield broadcast?

Which will mean that Gavin is talking about this week, and seeing as players have just gone back that would fit, right?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on January 11, 2022, 01:16:36 pm by roversdude »
Not sure it’s (the article) dated today, really hope it is a repeat though

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on January 11, 2022, 01:30:45 pm by Metalmicky »
It will be Hoden looking for clicks and attention....

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on January 11, 2022, 01:37:06 pm by DonnyOsmond »

By reporting news? His job? That makes no sense Micky.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #136 on January 11, 2022, 01:40:23 pm by roversdude »
Or recycling news ???

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on January 11, 2022, 01:44:08 pm by Metalmicky »

By reporting news? His job? That makes no sense Micky.

As roversdude already said - regurgitating old news...

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #138 on January 11, 2022, 03:19:45 pm by roversdude »
It certainly seems to be everything from the interview that was published LAST week

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on January 11, 2022, 03:29:18 pm by DonnyOsmond »
He was in that interview, you can hear him at the end. He's just reporting what was said in that interview and offering another form of media. Very dramatic from you both.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 03:42:39 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on January 11, 2022, 03:32:19 pm by Metalmicky »
He was in that interview, you can hear him at the end. He's just reporting what was said in that interview and offering an other form of media. Very dramatic from you both.

dramatic...?  :huh:

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #141 on January 11, 2022, 03:41:22 pm by roversdude »
Thanks DO

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on January 11, 2022, 03:48:01 pm by ditch_drfc »

You're missing my point.

It's managers who sometimes say things that stick in supporters memories, but once that managers gone how can you hold the club to account?

If the club do as you say then they'd have to be holding a press conference everyday to correct or confirm what the manager has just said, and that's not going to happen.

No, I get your point. But that's a personnel issue - if we've got employees telling the media a pack of lies they really need to be disciplined.

I get needing to read between the lines when a manager gives an interview, but if they say the sky's blue as supporters we need to take them at face value.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #143 on January 11, 2022, 03:50:30 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
This is typical of what fans pick upon when looking for pointers. As said above, everything should always be taken with a pinch of salt, particularly when it's regurgitated by the press and not one where it's been heard from the horses mouth.

I heard GMs radio interview, and it was a comment about new players coming in before the next game, when he answered one or two potentially. In the same interview he also referred to a 'few' additions this month.

There is nothing in that interview that is at odds with what Gavin has said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bg4q5t

TinyPortal © 2005-2012