Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 08:25:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: GM  (Read 9964 times)

keith79

• Forum Member
Re: GM
« Reply #60 on January 09, 2022, 08:17:57 am by keith79 »
Or do whatever we can and fight to the end.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on January 09, 2022, 08:19:05 am by elmsallrover »
We need rid of Horton, Hiwula, Barlow, Cukur, Dodoo,Hasani, Greaves, Bogle. Apart from that we’re fine. How many we bringing in?
Why Hasani, he is better than Ravenhill. He hasn't once been played in his best position. We shouldn't be getting rid of are youth players however they shouldn't be being exposed to this relegation fight.
if it was me.. Get rid of the lot scrap the youth set up until real investment is put into it been watching rovers over 40 odd years and the number of players that have gone on to bigger and better things you can count on your hands plus it seams strange that we've siall these young lads when we didn't even have a manager

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on January 09, 2022, 08:51:48 am by dickos1 »
I’m of the opinion ( controversially)
GM should resist buying any players during January…why bring in players who could more than likely be relegated?
He should blood as many young ones as possible to get them to man up for next seasons battles in lge2…
He should seek assurances that the money saved from not buying in January can be added to next years budget to give him a decent sum of money to bring in the players he wants albeit to give us a fighting chance of getting out of lge2 at the first go…

Meanwhile we persevere with the current fit players and allow them to express themselves knowing the result really is not overly  important….!

That’s simply not how competitive sport works,

We are only halfway through the season, why on earth would you give up halfway through a season?
We need around 32-34 points from 22 games it needs a decent upturn in form but it’s not ridiculous form needed to stay up.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on January 09, 2022, 08:56:31 am by Chris Black come back »
I get the sentiment, but there is no way this side even with the 3-4 additions is going to get form anything like that.

We have only competed in parts of a small handful of games this season. We haven’t been unlucky or being robbed, we just haven’t been anywhere near competing. You cannot go from being so far from competitive to then start winning games at this rate.

This is a side that is going down. It is not a side that is going to start embarking on winning runs of 2-3 games. They are done and dusted I am afraid. It is League Two next season.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 08:59:32 am by Chris Black come back »

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on January 09, 2022, 08:59:18 am by EasyforDennis »
GM should resist buying any players during January…why bring in players who could more than likely be relegated?
He should blood as many young ones as possible to get them to man up for next seasons battles in lge2…
He should seek assurances that the money saved from not buying in January can be added to next years budget to give him a decent sum of money to bring in the players he wants albeit to give us a fighting chance of getting out of lge2 at the first go…

Meanwhile we persevere with the current fit players and allow them to express themselves knowing the result really is not overly  important….!

We are only halfway through the season, why on earth would you give up halfway through a season?
We need around 32-34 points from 22 games it needs a decent upturn in form but it’s not ridiculous form needed to stay up.

We have been poor from game 1. Since that point we have advanced to absolute garbage. What signs do you see where we will improve our form dramatically?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on January 09, 2022, 09:04:10 am by dickos1 »
I get the sentiment, but there is no way this side even with the 3-4 additions is going to get form anything like that.

We have only competed in parts of a small handful of games this season. We haven’t been unlucky or being robbed, we just haven’t been anywhere near competing. You cannot go from being so far from competitive to then start winning games at this rate.

This is a side that is going down. It is not a side that is going to start embarking on winning runs of 2-3 games. They are done and dusted I am afraid. It is League Two next season.

Don’t agree!
If we get these 4 players in and get the likes of John, Anderson, close, okenabirhie, bostock all back within the next month we will go into feb with a great chance of going on a good run.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on January 09, 2022, 09:05:15 am by grayx »

We have only competed in parts of a small handful of games this season. We haven’t been unlucky or being robbed, we just haven’t been anywhere near competing. You cannot got from being so far from competitive to then start winning games at this rate.

This is a side that is going down. It is not a side that is going to start on winning runs of 2-3 games. They are done and dusted I am afraid. It is League Two next season.

Thats also how i see it unfortunately. Like posted on another thread, lets now concentrate on getting PERM signings in that can get used to forming a team that can compete in league 2. I get sick of our over use of the loan market which i just see as a short term fix.(and not a very good one).

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on January 09, 2022, 09:05:29 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Cant blame GM he's tried stuff today we just have a pretty rubbish squad.

One thing we actually looked better defensively overall.  The attack is woeful though and that needs new players.
What’s he tried that’s new and putting his stamp on the game today ?
Gone back to Tommy at left back ? Then when it clearly wasn’t working after 20 min he leaves him there for the next 70 plz tell me u think this is good management

Who you putting at left back instead of Rowe? Horton struggled last week there but has shown some ability putting crosses into the box, so if we put him back there that would then potentially be our weak area. Ideally we'd bring in a left back this window but it's probably 5th on the priority list after a creative winger, defensive midfielder, striker and center back.

I could definitely see the rationale behind putting Rowe at left back and Horton further forward but Horton was woeful today, infuriating! On at least 3 occasions he had the opportunity to whip in a cross but tried to be clever, shimmied and knocked the ball past the fullback and didn’t have the pace to get it, the fullback lit his cigar, took the ball comfortably and we were chasing the ball again.

But actually disregarding the fact it didn't work for Horton, the fact he tried to do it was a positive.  I fully agree he didn't play very well today, but the logic in putting him there was sound.  I would argue if more players tried to take on their man and do the slightly harder option we'd be in a better position.  The players have to try and express theirselves.  On that pitch it didn't come off for Horton but I did see him attempt a shot from long range and try to beat his man a few times.  If others had done that we might have had more shots, creativity and potentially goals.  Too many looked for the easy pass.

On the new manager, without new players his options are limited.  Nobody could make the side we have at the moment win games.  I do think we look better defensively, but clearly devoid of creativity, tempo and will to win the game.  A lot of that is now down to the players and I just cannot see how some (Cukur, Dodoo, Bogle, Smith, Horton, Hiwula, Barlow) will ever be anything but where they are at now and I say that with 5 of them doing their best yesterday.  Frankly they aren't up to this level and whilst a few may improve, players like Barlow should be impact subs at best.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on January 09, 2022, 09:06:12 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Don’t agree!
If we get these 4 players in and get the likes of John, Anderson, close, okenabirhie, bostock all back within the next month we will go into feb with a great chance of going on a good run.

I agree on this, if we get those players back we've the basis of a decent side if we add more quality up top with them.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on January 09, 2022, 09:06:21 am by EasyforDennis »

Don’t agree!
And IF my auntie had b*llocks she would be my uncle.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on January 09, 2022, 09:07:42 am by Chris Black come back »

Don’t agree!

That could potentially make a difference but I doubt we will see all of them in the same squad this side of Easter.

I also think this is also a side that doesn’t have a mindset to win anymore. We are going to have to win repeatedly in the coming months. Not the odd victory like Shrewsbury followed by several poor games, but successive wins and competitiveness in nearly every game. We are miles away from anything like that I am afraid.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on January 09, 2022, 09:08:26 am by mushRTID »

Don’t agree!

I agree in a way but by the time those players return we will likely be too far behind after our run of tough games. These 2 results have killed us.

There is also no guarantees the new signings and returning lads are going to get up to speed immediately.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 09:55:53 am by mushRTID »

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on January 09, 2022, 09:24:46 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Yes 4 new players and all our injured players back and we'll be a different proposition. But i don't think we can expect our injuries players back within a month or even the season for a few of them.

Even if that scenario plays out is it enough to stay up? Enough to give us a decent team that on a level points playing field would finish mid to top half of the table. Won't be enough to regain the ground we've lost imo because we need promotion form and 4 players + our injuries back still isn't a promotion team

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on January 09, 2022, 09:35:47 am by colincramb »

Don’t agree!

Have I missed something? Where has anybody stated that all those players will be back within a month? Not even sure I admire your optimism, it’s more blind stupidity and I don’t even think you believe it yourself. We’ve won 4 games all season. 4 ffs. There is no way this group of players will win the 9 or 10 games needed to give us a chance to stay up. Wake up ffs

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on January 09, 2022, 09:40:22 am by sha66y »

I agree that it’s not what we want, however from a strategic point of view it would give us a half decent chance for next season….unless there are wholesale changes and everyone fit , I’m not sure were the next ten points are coming from!

These players are “ punch drunk” at the moment, they need to reconcile and build back…..

It’s not defeatist!
It’s a pragmatic approach, ….good money after bad merely compounds the problem, I’m not sure at what point we have to cut our cloth, but I’d rather see a relaxed relegation rather than a soul destroying one!

Just my opinion

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on January 09, 2022, 09:41:08 am by DonnyOsmond »
Close and John I don't think anyone knows about but I don't think Close is a million miles from training again. Okenabirhie is out till April and Bostock is end of Feb.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on January 09, 2022, 09:43:44 am by sedwardsdrfc »

I agree that it’s not what we want, however from a strategic point of view it would give us a half decent chance for next season….unless there are wholesale changes and everyone fit , I’m not sure were the next ten points are coming from!

These players are “ punch drunk” at the moment, they need to reconcile and build back…..

It’s not defeatist!
It’s a pragmatic approach, ….good money after bad merely compounds the problem, I’m not sure at what point we have to cut our cloth, but I’d rather see a relaxed relegation rather than a soul destroying one!

Just my opinion

To be honest Shaggy i don't think your 1st post is that controversial quite a lot of people thinking this now.

Obviously the club can't come out and say we've given up but maybe they can reconsider burning money for nothing this season v investing it for the future in the summer.

Petche

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on January 09, 2022, 09:50:54 am by Petche »
Who are we able to attract in terms of permanent signings in our position? We are certainties to go down, would we be able to attract a better calibre of player in the summer by starting afresh?

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on January 09, 2022, 09:53:16 am by anton123 »

Don’t agree!

I agree on this, if we get those players back we've the basis of a decent side if we add more quality up top with them.
But they are not coming back til say last 6 to 10 games we will be down by then

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on January 09, 2022, 10:35:51 am by sha66y »
Who are we able to attract in terms of permanent signings in our position? We are certainties to go down, would we be able to attract a better calibre of player in the summer by starting afresh?

Yes we would!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on January 09, 2022, 10:37:31 am by RoversAlias »
Whilst I think these last two results have killed us off as far as staying up goes, there is no way we should throw in the towel and not bother signing anyone this month.

If we lose every game for the rest of the season, some of these players will never want to step on a football pitch again. Some fans will never turn up again, and the decline of the club would only be exacerbated. We need to try and  become a better team, give ourselves a bit more of a chance and try to restore some pride.

I've no doubt that some of our late-season results in the 15/16 season helped restore belief, particularly handily beating champions-elect Wigan.

And some loanees brought in this month may end up staying on, like Rowe and McSheffrey did late in that season. Or Cam John more recently for instance.

I think it'll be extremely difficult to stay up now but that doesn't mean we shouldn't even try.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on January 09, 2022, 10:47:01 am by Jonathan »

Don’t agree!

We will all be ridiculed for this, but I agree. And I’d rather be ridiculed for taking a hopeful view than for trying to tear down everything the club does, as some (Netto) people revel in doing. One day we’ll come back from this, and I feel we will enjoy that more than the people ridiculing everything who, let’s face it, just spend their lives waiting for the next thing to create a social media storm over.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on January 09, 2022, 11:29:35 am by RugbyRover »
There is no energys round the club at the moment.

None in the Team: The lack of fight of drive, of passion, of anything remotely needed to win a game of football. A disgrace. Team have given up.
None in the Fans: Apathy. Understandable considering what was on display. But that's what came across on IFollow yesterday. Can't be arsed to wave a flag or sing a song. Fans have given up.
Non in the Board room. No drive to get things done, to stoke the fire, to build momentum. Sapping all our enthusiasm by dragging things on and on.

Next week we need some big old logs chucking on the fire. Fingers crossed they finally produce.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on January 09, 2022, 06:59:36 pm by dickos1 »

Don’t agree!

I agree in a way but by the time those players return we will likely be too far behind after our run of tough games. These 2 results have killed us.

There is also no guarantees the new signings and returning lads are going to get up to speed immediately.

I don’t think we need to worry how many points we are behind we’ve just got to aim for 50 points,
So if the 4 signings are made and we get players back, and we’re sat on 25 points with 15 games to go then we know we need 25 points from those games regardless of how many points we’re adrift

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on January 09, 2022, 07:01:33 pm by dickos1 »

Don’t agree!

But they are not coming back til say last 6 to 10 games we will be down by then

Well that’s not what the manager is saying

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on January 09, 2022, 07:52:44 pm by steve@dcfd »
The first one back could be Close by the end of January there’s no dates for others.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on January 09, 2022, 08:06:40 pm by dickos1 »
Gardener less than 4 weeks away,
Close at end of month,
Anderson 4/5 weeks away
Longer term
Taylor 12/14 weeks away

Jersey Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on January 09, 2022, 08:19:31 pm by Jersey Rover »
Remember when DF came in as manager. He said the whole mindset needed changing throughout the club. Seems to me we’ve fallen back into old habits.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on January 09, 2022, 09:07:18 pm by grayx »
Remember when DF came in as manager. He said the whole mindset needed changing throughout the club. Seems to me we’ve fallen back into old habits.
Yes, i remember that clearly.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on January 09, 2022, 09:17:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Don’t agree!

I don’t think we need to worry how many points we are behind we’ve just got to aim for 50 points,
So if the 4 signings are made and we get players back, and we’re sat on 25 points with 15 games to go then we know we need 25 points from those games regardless of how many points we’re adrift

We will be down to 15 games to go by 12 Feb.

We will be lucky to have any of our injured players back before, at best the last couple of those games.

Given the fixtures we have coming, unless we make 4-5 very, very high quality signings very soon, we are far more likely to hit the 15 games to go mark on 16 points than on 25 points.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012