Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:04:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Planning for the January window.  (Read 3762 times)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
Re: Planning for the January window.
« Reply #30 on January 14, 2022, 05:29:18 pm by steve@dcfd »
But we not even signed any loans we won’t be lumbered with them and we have 2/3 loan spaces now.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on January 14, 2022, 05:34:41 pm by BVB »
Rather than pontificating and guessing I think we should all wait and see until the end of the window when Sue Gray will submit her findings on how well the club did in recruitment.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 14, 2022, 06:10:11 pm by Retdon1 »
We’ve basically given up on this season. New signings should have been ready to sign on Jan 1st. That would have given us a fighting chance. What the hell has Younger etc been doing since August ?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on January 14, 2022, 06:17:14 pm by Jonathan »
They have planned if you listen to the interviews! Things don't happen all at once.

You have to respect GMs choices. He's already acted to get Agard in. He's already told us about Jacobs who seems to have dithered and wants a chance to stay where he is for now, so I'm sure GM will look at other options on the list. Some he'll give time to, some he won't.

We've no reason to believe he won't stick to the deadlines he's set aside for each acquisition.

As they said, the next 7 days or so will tell us more about who he's targeted. It may also mean there's scope at the end of the window to do more business.

Let them get on with it!!

Fair points.

I don’t like to go about acting like I think I’m right all the time, and I accept the counter arguments happily. I think I’ll put the opening post down to an expression of frustration on my part.

I won’t be one of the ones demanding that the board be sacked, or the manager be replaced. I just want the best for the club and the team, and more than anything I want us to be in a position to get results to shut the Netto mob up and restore a bit of genuine pride.

We are fortunate to have a club that has lots of good people working within it. These are imperfect times and not everything can run smoothly. We’ll see where we are over the next week or two and in the mean time the best thing we can do as supporters is encourage the team to compete in the coming games.

I am, as always, behind the manager and the club.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on January 14, 2022, 06:27:38 pm by silent majority »
It’s not going to be easy attracting players the situation we are in. We could potentially do more harm than good in the next two weeks. Targets at the start of the month could have been put off by recent form.

Don't buy that. If they're getting a decent length contract on decent money I would not imagine league one or two makes much difference to a lot of players.

You'd be mistaken. The club has to have a relegation cause built into the contract, so it does matter!

They don’t have to, you’ve already stated non of our contracted players have relegation clauses

No I haven't.

You're misinterpreting something I've already stated. You should try reading what people actually write before trying to correct them.

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on January 14, 2022, 06:30:58 pm by Batleyred »
They have planned if you listen to the interviews! Things don't happen all at once.

You have to respect GMs choices. He's already acted to get Agard in. He's already told us about Jacobs who seems to have dithered and wants a chance to stay where he is for now, so I'm sure GM will look at other options on the list. Some he'll give time to, some he won't.

We've no reason to believe he won't stick to the deadlines he's set aside for each acquisition.

As they said, the next 7 days or so will tell us more about who he's targeted. It may also mean there's scope at the end of the window to do more business.

Let them get on with it!!

Fair points.

I don’t like to go about acting like I think I’m right all the time, and I accept the counter arguments happily. I think I’ll put the opening post down to an expression of frustration on my part.

I won’t be one of the ones demanding that the board be sacked, or the manager be replaced. I just want the best for the club and the team, and more than anything I want us to be in a position to get results to shut the Netto mob up and restore a bit of genuine pride.

We are fortunate to have a club that has lots of good people working within it. These are imperfect times and not everything can run smoothly. We’ll see where we are over the next week or two and in the mean time the best thing we can do as supporters is encourage the team to compete in the coming games.

I am, as always, behind the manager and the club.

Nicely put

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on January 14, 2022, 06:33:35 pm by silent majority »
We’ve basically given up on this season. New signings should have been ready to sign on Jan 1st. That would have given us a fighting chance. What the hell has Younger etc been doing since August ?

That's because it doesn't work like that.

You can plan to have as many players lined up as you like but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will all fall into place.

Clubs can agree to let players go many weeks in advance, but in the few days leading up to the actual agreed date a player can change his mind, the club can change its mind, the club can have further injuries affecting their choice and in this day and age Covid can and does have an impact.

I know the club have at least 3 more players ready, maybe even 4, but announcements will be delayed by a few days so as to make doubly sure none of the above can impact further than it already has done.

Bills view

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on January 14, 2022, 07:05:34 pm by Bills view »
I hope some fresh faces, with the right quality in the right areas, arrive and if they do, you never know what may materialise on the results front. Realistically, it's not going to be enough to stay up so the best we can hope for is the right foundations are laid for next season and beyond.

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on January 14, 2022, 07:25:00 pm by jamesrover17 »
It’s not going to be easy attracting players the situation we are in. We could potentially do more harm than good in the next two weeks. Targets at the start of the month could have been put off by recent form.

Don't buy that. If they're getting a decent length contract on decent money I would not imagine league one or two makes much difference to a lot of players.

You'd be mistaken. The club has to have a relegation cause built into the contract, so it does matter!

They don’t have to, you’ve already stated non of our contracted players have relegation clauses

No I haven't.

You're misinterpreting something I've already stated. You should try reading what people actually write before trying to correct them.

Is this referring to a relegation release clause vs a relegation wage drop perhaps?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on January 14, 2022, 07:42:15 pm by silent majority »

No I haven't.

Is this referring to a relegation release clause vs a relegation wage drop perhaps?

Exactly right.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on January 14, 2022, 07:43:03 pm by normal rules »
Boston United have just signed Hanson fromFarsley Celtic. Yes he is 34, but plenty of league exp and knows where the goal is. He could have done a job for us. Boston have him till end of season so short term deals are out there.

I'd hope we weren't shopping in the same shop as Boston. :laugh:

Boston’s current first team would probably put our lot to the sword.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on January 14, 2022, 08:13:24 pm by Retdon1 »

That's because it doesn't work like that.

You can plan to have as many players lined up as you like but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will all fall into place.

Clubs can agree to let players go many weeks in advance, but in the few days leading up to the actual agreed date a player can change his mind, the club can change its mind, the club can have further injuries affecting their choice and in this day and age Covid can and does have an impact.

I know the club have at least 3 more players ready, maybe even 4, but announcements will be delayed by a few days so as to make doubly sure none of the above can impact further than it already has done.

I understand things can change but it always seems to happen at Rovers. Every transfer window all we here is “we’re trying” or “we need to be patient”. Lots of other clubs don’t struggle to bring players in, take Fleetwood for example. It just feels like the delay in bringing players in has sealed our fate. Including Wigan tomorrow and Cambridge on Tuesday, that’s 9 points we’ve pretty much give up on trying to win. If 3 or 4 deals are ready then why delay them. Push harder to get those deals done ASAP. Our board, management team are far too patient when it comes to transfers

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on January 14, 2022, 08:16:42 pm by Filo »

No I haven't.

If I’ve misinterpreted what you wrote in reply to my post I suggest you misinterpreted what I meant

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=283579.msg1125087#msg1125087

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on January 14, 2022, 08:24:42 pm by mpc123 »
Why do people not understand, its frustrates me so much.

No matter what we plan it is ultimately upto the player who he joins.

Upto the player to agree terms with his old club if tgsts part of what's needed to sign

Upto the clubs when they release a  loan.

Put in that other clubs will be also putting offers in for the player and they are taking time to decide or alternatively possibly waiting for a better offer / club.

The planning we can do is put in offers to club or player, after that it is out of their control.

Just don't get how nobody can understand this.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on January 14, 2022, 08:27:30 pm by silent majority »

No I haven't.

If I’ve misinterpreted what you wrote in reply to my post I suggest you misinterpreted what I meant

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=283579.msg1125087#msg1125087

No I haven’t, start again.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on January 14, 2022, 09:29:37 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I can't believe the plan was to be at this stage of the window with only one in, who sounds like we picked up at short notice. In which case the plan was to have 0 signings at this stage. So it can't be going to plan.

Part of me thinks we just struggle to sort signings because we're not that attractive right now and our stance on paying agents might not help get deals "over the line". Could be that we've changed plans now and decided to wait till the summer which is probably the smart thing to do.

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on January 14, 2022, 09:30:46 pm by jamesrover17 »

No I haven't.

Exactly right.

Pretty standard I would think no? Protects the club as well as the player

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on January 14, 2022, 09:41:01 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Think the certain relegation wage drop clause in the contracts we've offered to perspective players has anything to do with lack of activity?

Imagine going for a job knowing you'll have to take a pay cut in 6 months. You'd probably stick your current job out like

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on January 14, 2022, 11:04:57 pm by silent majority »

No I haven't.

Exactly right.

Pretty standard I would think no? Protects the club as well as the player

Yes it is.

It does protect both, the club guarantee a certain length of contract so the player will know his contract is honoured no matter the division the club are in, but at the same time they also agree a reduction in salary if relegation happens.

The club benefits because they know they have the players available the next season and don't have to start recruiting a whole new squad. And that's the point I made on a previous post, i.e. that our contracts with players runs beyond the end of this season.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on January 14, 2022, 11:21:56 pm by sha66y »
So what your saying SM is that the club are not deliberately cocking about with transfers just to pee off a few over zealous supporters?

Damn........

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on January 15, 2022, 06:51:46 am by Al4475 »
Lol

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on January 15, 2022, 08:41:04 am by Colin C No.3 »
As has been already said, those last two defeats, especially the capitulation at Morecombe, have really done for us.

Instead of being able to pick up up & coming talent because there’s a realistic chance of us staying in this division, we have to accept we’re reduced to picking up & waiting for ‘left overs’.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on January 15, 2022, 08:57:15 am by silent majority »
As has been already said, those last two defeats, especially the capitulation at Morecombe, have really done for us.

Instead of being able to pick up up & coming talent because there’s a realistic chance of us staying in this division, we have to accept we’re reduced to picking up & waiting for ‘left overs’.

I think the term ‘left overs’ is disrespectful to both player and club. Recruiting is harder when you’re in our position that’s true. But to suggest everybody else gets first pick and we get what’s left is not an accurate reflection. Our club is highly respected in the football world and on balance we do attract players who have other choices.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on January 15, 2022, 09:34:14 am by Jonathan »
Let’s just see what happens over the next few days and week(s). I wish I hadn’t started this thread, but it generates a debate we can’t hide from and one that goes on anyway, often in a more childish context.

The last thing we need is more negativity around the club, so let’s wait for some positive news on incomings and do our best to support an upturn in fortunes however we can.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 09:40:28 am by Jonathan »

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on January 15, 2022, 09:38:19 am by Colin C No.3 »
With all due respect Martin, in the last window we were in for’ Will Grigg. He chose a club higher in the division. Being anchored to the foot of the table is not a great attraction for players of the calibre to either keep us in this division or ‘tear up trees’ in Lg2, despite the esteem the club is held in within the ‘football world’.

‘Left overs’ was a clumsy description born of the frustration I feel from the position the club is currently in.

I’ll be there today hoping for the best, fearing for the worst.

Gary McSheffrey has a massive job to do in the next season & a half. I truly hope he can recruit well.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on January 15, 2022, 01:32:15 pm by GazLaz »
We are very good at signing players that were good a few years ago but have done nothing for the last few years. Agard, Bogle, Hiwula being three. It’s a dangerous game. Everything good we have done over the last 20 years has been built around getting the best years of players. The list of players that have played the best football of their career at our place is very long. I don’t like how we are going at the minute. It’s all extremely “A B C” recruitment.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on January 15, 2022, 01:34:26 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
With all due respect Martin, in the last window we were in for’ Will Grigg. He chose a club higher in the division. Being anchored to the foot of the table is not a great attraction for players of the calibre to either keep us in this division or ‘tear up trees’ in Lg2, despite the esteem the club is held in within the ‘football world’.

‘Left overs’ was a clumsy description born of the frustration I feel from the position the club is currently in.

I’ll be there today hoping for the best, fearing for the worst.

Gary McSheffrey has a massive job to do in the next season & a half. I truly hope he can recruit well.

Leftovers isn't that clumsy a description of what happened at the end of last summer. Dodoo was a leftover. No one wanted him enough to sign him during the transfer window. Including us.

This window hopefully it's a different story. Agard is a decent start 

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on January 15, 2022, 01:37:39 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
We are definitely behind with signing players we need. The plan they drew up obviously isn’t working at the minute, even though they sacked the manager in plenty of time.

I understand there are three parties involved in a player transfer, but we all knew that including the board, but still we have the same situation we always have. Ostriches with heads in the sand come to mind!.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012