Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:10:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Dahlberg  (Read 5642 times)

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
Dahlberg
« on January 14, 2022, 10:49:33 am by jamesrover17 »
Looks like he is off to Gillingham, Watford wanting him to get games.

Little worried as I think he is streets ahead of Jones

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bobbymax

• VSC Member
Re: Dahlberg
« Reply #1 on January 14, 2022, 10:53:00 am by bobbymax »
I don't.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 14, 2022, 10:54:07 am by DonnyOsmond »

What is the last comment based on? They're both decent League One keepers, if we go down it won't be because of who we had in net. Are you going based on him being in the Sweden squad or based on his FIFA rating?

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 14, 2022, 10:55:21 am by Colemans Left Hook »

"I can't believe it"  i log on here with a "cunning plan" like the "Newcastle - Wood transfer - strengthen and weaken at a stroke"  for Rovers and we are are going to get kippered the same way

yes "me too" believes he is streets ahead of Jones

those nice people AT Wigan with their army of players surely must have one to loan us after the match

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 14, 2022, 10:57:26 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »
I don't think Jones has done a lot wrong tbh. Yes he's conceded a fair few but our defence has been all over the shop.

Dahlberg's strength is as shot stopper, however Jones has also pulled off some superb saves in the last few months and i feel that Jones is stronger with other aspects of his game.

Overall i'd prefer Jones.

Dahlberg also seems to take about 3 hours to take a goal kick which slows play and infuriates me. As he did a couple of times when 0-0 against Fleetwood.

The issue would be if Jones got injured but it looks like relegation is almost a cert so it shouldn't be a disaster if that happened.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 14, 2022, 11:02:52 am by Filo »
Our fans are unreal, moan when we put loan players in front of our own, then moan when we put our own in front of loan players!

Personally I think Pontus should go back, get another loan outfield player and use the emergency loan market for a keeper if needed

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 14, 2022, 11:04:17 am by jamesrover17 »

What is the last comment based on? They're both decent League One keepers, if we go down it won't be because of who we had in net. Are you going based on him being in the Sweden squad or based on his FIFA rating?

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a dig at Jones at all, he is a good league 1 keeper, with a very bright future I just think Dahlberg's shot stopping puts him ahead for me.

Either way we will need some backup if Dahlberg goes

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 14, 2022, 11:10:34 am by steve@dcfd »
Jones is not 100% fit therefore our only back up is Bottomley. I’m not bothered if Dahlberg goes back. But where is the back up. If it’s about emergency keepers then until the transfer window closes can you get that type of loan. I am not happy by the judgement of GMC with this.
It’s like the Galbraith situation in latest interview he’s not asked Man U if he’s staying he believes he will, why haven’t we confirmed it.

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 14, 2022, 12:02:52 pm by Move DRFC »
Jones is a decent shot stopper and hasn't done too much wrong but I think we could do with a more experienced and commanding number 1. Jones doesn't really fill me with loads of confidence and isn't much of a commanding GK. His kicking is also dreadful.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 14, 2022, 12:06:23 pm by mushRTID »
Get an experienced keeper in then and use the loan place for some magic up front that we wouldn’t normally afford.

I’m quite excited what we will do with the squad this window. Just gutted these last 2 games have probably killed us.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 14, 2022, 12:11:37 pm by Filo »
Get an experienced keeper in then and use the loan place for some magic up front that we wouldn’t normally afford.

I’m quite excited what we will do with the squad this window. Just gutted these last 2 games have probably killed us.

Tomorrows game will kill us if we have n’t got someone in midfield that can get hold of a game

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 14, 2022, 12:14:07 pm by roversdude »
Jones is a decent shot stopper and hasn't done too much wrong but I think we could do with a more experienced and commanding number 1. Jones doesn't really fill me with loads of confidence and isn't much of a commanding GK. His kicking is also dreadful.

Dahlberg is equally if not worse at kicking and is so slow with his distribution. Jones first choice for me with Bottomley as back up. Not sure when Dahlberg would get recalled but maybe start him if Jones not 100% on Saturday
The Galbraith scenario is worrying and could bite us on the arse, surely we need to know for definite one way or another

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 14, 2022, 12:18:08 pm by grayx »

Out of the 2, Dahlberg would also have been my choice. We were spoilt with Dieng tho.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 14, 2022, 12:40:38 pm by elmsallrover »

ne too way ahead

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 14, 2022, 12:48:26 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Or just go with what GM thinks. We can use the emergency loan for a keeper if we need it.

If GM thinks Jones is no 1, that's all that matters. Jones has been much better since his return to the team.

Super Colin Cramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 14, 2022, 12:49:09 pm by Super Colin Cramb »

Jones hadn’t done to much wrong; however he doesn’t command his box and seems a little slight for a goalkeeper. I am sure in years to come he’ll be an excellent goalkeeper in this league, but just not yet.

pigeonhole

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 14, 2022, 12:49:15 pm by pigeonhole »
We won the league with Gary Woods in the net, quite possibly the worst professional footballer I've ever seen.  It's true, a good goalkeeper is worth several points a season, but when there are so many players weaker than Jones playing outfield, I agree with the management's decision to prioritise. 

I am cautiously (naively) optimistic that we're going to give ourselves a fighting chance after this window closes.  This is based on nothing but hope, by the way.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 14, 2022, 01:03:41 pm by The Beast »
I don’t think either are league 1 standard yet.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 14, 2022, 01:04:37 pm by Jonathan »
I’m okay with this in principle, however not so much the timing as it sounds like Jones still isn’t quite right.

What gets me is that we let these things get ‘done to us’ i.e. seemingly allow Dahlberg to be recalled right away with little resistance despite the fact that he started the last game. However, when it comes to doing things proactively, we’ll wait another few games until John Joe O’Toole’s deal officially expires rather than trying to force the issue to our benefit. We need another body in that midfield NOW!

I can be shot down for that with I don’t understand how transfers work etc. etc. But does the club understand how to go out and get what it wants / needs or are we just too nice / complacent? We’re heading into another weekend half way through the window, and so far we’ve let three go (subject to confirmation of this) and brought in one. We’re bottom of the league and falling adrift. Where’s the urgency?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 01:45:36 pm by Jonathan »

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 14, 2022, 01:05:01 pm by bobbymax »
Recalled and apparently off to Gillingham. Not overly disappointed.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 14, 2022, 01:08:36 pm by mushRTID »
Confirmed to gills.

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 14, 2022, 01:19:30 pm by ctay »
We signed Pontus when Jones had a nightmare pre season, I would guess that he wasnt cheap. As time has gone on then the two about about par, maybe slightly on Pontus side but nothing to drastic. It makes sense that if he isnt going to get game time he move and we possibly use the money elsewhere.

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 14, 2022, 01:20:18 pm by Arsenal Of The North »
Neither Jones or dahlberg have been stand outs this season, each have had there moments both good/bad.

I don’t think it really makes any odds who sees out the season as the No1, it’s not like we have had a dieng/Johnson type keeper in this season is it.

At least it gives Jones another 4/5 months of good level development.

Personally if we’re going to push up the leagues/tables we could do with a old wise head and milk the last ounce out of him like we did with sully. I’ve no doubt Jones will do ok in the future, but we all know keepers are better in the twilight  years

Best of look to Pontus, I’m sure he will do well.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 14, 2022, 01:20:28 pm by steve@dcfd »
Let’s hope Jones is fit or it’s a baptism of fire for Ben Bottomley.

Then two first choice target deadlines have pasted so we are looking at other options.
The manager and the club appeared to be very laid back about the situation or will their be announcements later today.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 14, 2022, 01:22:46 pm by jmt23 »
I liked him, I thought he had good potential, but I agree with GMc, we need to use the available funds in a better way ( we do need to see this realised though, and quickly to help with the very slim chance we have)

I am glad Jones will be the number 1, he has done little wrong and will keep improving with more game time.

Good luck to Pontus.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 14, 2022, 01:28:15 pm by Alan Southstand »
We may have already resigned ourselves to L2 next year!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 14, 2022, 01:31:23 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Not a Jones fan?

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 14, 2022, 01:34:34 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

Arguably we did that weeks ago when we appointed GM as permanent manager but that is for another topic.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 14, 2022, 02:00:36 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I’m okay with this in principle, however not so much the timing as it sounds like Jones still isn’t quite right.

What gets me is that we let these things get ‘done to us’ i.e. seemingly allow Dahlberg to be recalled right away with little resistance despite the fact that he started the last game. However, when it comes to doing things proactively, we’ll wait another few games until John Joe O’Toole’s deal officially expires rather than trying to force the issue to our benefit. We need another body in that midfield NOW!

I can be shot down for that with I don’t understand how transfers work etc. etc. But does the club understand how to go out and get what it wants / needs or are we just too nice / complacent? We’re heading into another weekend half way through the window, and so far we’ve let three go (subject to confirmation of this) and brought in one. We’re bottom of the league and falling adrift. Where’s the urgency?

I agree overall we've been weak but not necessarily with this one. Clearly the manager doesn't particularly want dahlberg around and whilst it seems a quick move I'm pretty sure it's been in the workings for a few weeks just not publicly.

Aswell as that with O'Toole he's in contract elsewhere we cannot force him to move when his club want to keep him.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 14, 2022, 02:00:55 pm by roversdude »
We need some incomings. Totally agree with Jonathan’s comments we need to be more ruthless as a club

TinyPortal © 2005-2012