Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:28:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Dahlberg  (Read 5648 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: Dahlberg
« Reply #30 on January 14, 2022, 02:10:14 pm by RoversAlias »
Dahlberg going I'm fine with, McSheffrey doesn't rate him above Jones and we need the loan spot for an outfield player.

But actively adopting a "we can use the emergency loan market" policy is really naive from the club in my opinion. The GK situation last season was a bit of a farce and signing a young lad on loan in the summer to go alongside the young, inexperienced Jones was a mistake.

You need experience to push Jones and help him develop, the goalkeepers train together all the time and you can learn a lot in those sessions and just by being around them. Now we have an academy coach and two academy players comprising the entire GK group.

I like Jones and hope he takes hold of the opportunity to know he has the shirt for the rest of the season, but I do hope we get someone in the summer to join him who has more experience and can help to push him along.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on January 14, 2022, 02:15:36 pm by Donnywolf »
Confirmed 4 minutes ago ,.. going Watford FC initially

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 14, 2022, 02:17:53 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Confirmed 4 minutes ago ,.. going Watford FC initially

Did you write this an hour and 11 mins ago?

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on January 14, 2022, 03:01:27 pm by aidanstu »
Dahlberg is miles ahead of Jones in his development; he is a good shot stopper, has better command of his area, he looks more confidence and his decision making is better. This all shows in the differing levels of confidence the defence appear to have in them both.

Dahlberg acts and looks like he belongs as the No 1; Jones doesn’t and Wellens said as much on more than one occasion.

That said Jones looks like he is developing this season and good luck to him; he isn’t a league 1 keeper though; not yet at least.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on January 14, 2022, 03:14:09 pm by elmsallrover »
Back to an old problem doesn't matter how bad Jones plays he's in the goals for the next game can't be dropped

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on January 14, 2022, 03:23:57 pm by roversdude »
Back to an old problem doesn't matter how bad Jones plays he's in the goals for the next game can't be dropped

Or he can take confidence in his managers belief in him

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 14, 2022, 03:26:57 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

Why was Jones dropped then for the Fleetwood game? Especially if it was common knowledge in the club that Dahlberg was off?

Was Jones injured?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on January 14, 2022, 03:35:27 pm by dickos1 »
Yes

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on January 14, 2022, 03:35:46 pm by Jonathan »

Why was Jones dropped then for the Fleetwood game? Especially if it was common knowledge in the club that Dahlberg was off?

Was Jones injured?

Jones was carrying an injury and still is apparently. But we are very subservient in the transfer market so we’ve let our only other goalkeeper go earlier than would have been preferable.

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on January 14, 2022, 03:38:55 pm by Batleyred »
Not sure if I missed it, but who did cancel the loan us or Watford ?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on January 14, 2022, 03:50:04 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Not sure if I missed it, but who did cancel the loan us or Watford ?

Watford but McSheffrey was relaxed about it happening.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on January 14, 2022, 03:58:55 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
A goalkeeper will surely come in, you can’t have such an inexperienced goalkeeper as back up in our situation. The luck we have with injuries added to that as well.

brantonman

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on January 14, 2022, 04:10:21 pm by brantonman »
Gone to Gillingham

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on January 14, 2022, 05:13:15 pm by RoversAlias »
A goalkeeper will surely come in, you can’t have such an inexperienced goalkeeper as back up in our situation. The luck we have with injuries added to that as well.

McSheffrey has already said that we will go with Jones and Bottomley, and go to the emergency loan market if Jones gets injured.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on January 14, 2022, 05:24:57 pm by BigH »
I'm probably going out on a limb here but I'm fine with Dahlberg going.

I have to admit to being disappointed. Initially, the guy's background suggested that we had someone who was way above our grade. But that screw-up at Accrington sort of set the tone for his and our season. He doesn't look to me to be a keeper on the way up but a distinctly average squad player for Watford. One that  they are quite happy to have farmed out in L1/L2 to get game time.

Each Prem and Championship club has at least 3 decent keepers but with only two getting on the squad sheet for games. With many clubs now contemplating mediocre ends to the season - out of the cups and lying mid-table - I would expect a couple of other options to become available.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on January 14, 2022, 05:56:20 pm by Upton Rover »
Glad he’s gone, but is Jones the right 1

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on January 14, 2022, 05:58:53 pm by Lesonthewest »

You would hope so, but this is Rovers.

Ronnie Dovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on January 14, 2022, 05:59:38 pm by Ronnie Dovers »
Dahlberg is miles ahead of Jones in his development; he is a good shot stopper, has better command of his area, he looks more confidence and his decision making is better. This all shows in the differing levels of confidence the defence appear to have in them both.

Dahlberg acts and looks like he belongs as the No 1; Jones doesn’t and Wellens said as much on more than one occasion.

That said Jones looks like he is developing this season and good luck to him; he isn’t a league 1 keeper though; not yet at least.

I don't see it that way at all. I think they're both pretty even, Dahlberg perhaps a slightly better shot stopper, both can be poor with distribution, and I feel they're both pretty even when it comes to commanding the area, claiming crosses etc.

However, since Jones came back in I can't recall him making 1 big mistake leading directly to a goal. Dahlberg made 4 or 5 of those during his run as number 1. That's more important to me.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on January 14, 2022, 06:03:24 pm by Copps is Magic »
Dahlberg couldn't catch a ball to save his life, but generally, I thought he was a better option than Jones.

I think time will tell with Jones. I actually think he's improved significantly, particularly in his mentality, but we'll see whether he's a long-term prospect.

streathamdave

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on January 14, 2022, 06:22:10 pm by streathamdave »
I hope Jones continues to develop , but like others I think Dahlberg is at the moment a better keeper. I can understand Jones being given an opportunity but it leaves us light on the bench. Frees up a loan space that can be used outfield. Hope we go for a different type of loan, more experienced heads. I realise that loans are often used for young players but this isn't always the case.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on January 14, 2022, 06:31:38 pm by glosterred »
So has Bottomley been recalled from Taddy where he’s on loan to sit on the bench tomorrow? Anyone know?

COYR

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on January 14, 2022, 07:43:51 pm by Rovers91 »
Personally I think Dahlberg is better than Jones and will go onto have a far better career than Jones. I really dont rate Jones, I wouldnt be surprised if he is in conference or below within 3 years.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on January 14, 2022, 07:45:43 pm by Barmby Rover »
Good luck to the lad, he is not our player, and wants to get more game time to develop. Just like us, at Gillingham he is going to get plenty of practice at trying to keep scores as low as possible. Here Louis Jones will be doing the same, and becoming a better keeper for it.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on January 14, 2022, 07:58:48 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Just hoping that the small but vocal group in the BB don't start singling out Jones for abuse again. He needs our support as much as possible now. Let's get behind Jones.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on January 14, 2022, 08:34:19 pm by Upton Rover »
Just hoping that the small but vocal group in the BB don't start singling out Jones for abuse again. He needs our support as much as possible now. Let's get behind Jones.
I don’t think they will abuse Jones, it’s just doesn’t make sense how we leave ourselves short in the GK department, just think what a mess we would be in if Jones gets injured in the first 5mins on Saturday, this is what people will be thinking, to me it’s a very big risk by an inexperienced manager

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on January 14, 2022, 08:39:48 pm by karldew »
Wonder if this will come back to bite us like loaning Curtis Main did.

I don’t think we will stay up now anyway but if Gills start keeping clean sheets it doesn’t help.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on January 14, 2022, 08:49:11 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
I don’t think they will abuse Jones, it’s just doesn’t make sense how we leave ourselves short in the GK department, just think what a mess we would be in if Jones gets injured in the first 5mins on Saturday, this is what people will be thinking, to me it’s a very big risk by an inexperienced manager

Hope you are right UR.

It would just sum up our season if Jones got injured in the warm up or something tomorrow.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on January 14, 2022, 09:26:20 pm by phil old leake »
Let’s how when we play the gills he doesn’t lay a blinder

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on January 14, 2022, 09:29:35 pm by Chris Black come back »
It’s a risk, but a very small risk and well worth risking with our loans.

Keepers basically never get injured during a game and come off, so the youth of the guy on the bench doesn’t really matter. Even if there was an injury and the keeper came off (can’t remember when that last happened to us) we may have by that point in the game already used our subs, so a player would go in goal at that point. That’s happened relatively often by comparison, so having an experienced keeper on the bench is not a save-all option.

Then if Jones got injured between games, we could get an emergency loan who would like Joe Lumley the other year, be perfectly good for several weeks.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on January 14, 2022, 09:38:04 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
We're talking like it matters whose in net right now! Might as well have me in there.

Let Jones stake his place for been number 1 next season he's not that far away really and he'll get plenty of practise with us till end of season. Next season i'd like us to have a experienced number 2 keeper to push Jones the whole loan keepers a no from me

TinyPortal © 2005-2012