Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:26:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: bongbong marcus gets up ..............  (Read 1008 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
bongbong marcus gets up ..............
« on May 10, 2022, 02:39:31 am by SydneyRover »
but then people voted for trump, bolsonaro, berlusconi and johnson

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BahrainRover

• Forum Member
Re: bongbong marcus gets up ..............
« Reply #1 on May 10, 2022, 08:41:48 am by BahrainRover »
but then people voted for trump, bolsonaro, berlusconi and johnson

I am intrigued to your knowledge of Filipino politics and BongBong. I assume you are possibly referring to his families history in politics and not actually his own? BongBong is by far the popular choice (there is more to this than meets the eye in the long term) over Leni Robredo a VP who practically went missing in action for 5 of her 6 years as VP.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 10, 2022, 09:03:16 am by SydneyRover »
Not a massive amount except that I thought people would have had enough of that particular corrupt family, maybe I'm wrong but time will tell. Happy for you to enlighten me Bahrain, always happy to learn, especially first hand.

My friend and colleague made a doc' on the fight for land rights in 1989 in the Philippines, I can put up a link if it interests you at all.

BahrainRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 10, 2022, 09:52:00 am by BahrainRover »
Thanks Sydney. When I am not at work in the Middle East my home is actually Cotabato City in Mindanao Southern Philippines. I am interested in the documentary if you can share it. Being as we are in the now Bangsamorrow region of Mindanao, I am well aware of the true fight and what went on between the Musilm Groups MNLF/MILF and the Philippines Government and Army, and the struggle for autonomy. My family have always held LGU positions and heavily involved in politics and the fight in this region. Yes in the latter years of the Ferdinand Marcos era the Filipino became tired that is correct, but in the early to mid years they did very well with jobs and education etc. The following governments that came in after the peoples power rise up fared no better and were deep in corruption with many Filipino needing to find overseas work to survive. Rodrigo Duterte is the only one to actually make a stand against the corruption and drug issues in the country. Yes its widely known it was brutal at first, but as someone who has witnessed his six years 1st hand he brought a massive change for the better. This has now got a chance to continue possibly for the next 12 years with BongBong in as President, Sara Duterte in at VP, with Sara then eligible to run for President in 2028. Sara would have absolutely walked all over BongBong yesterday had she decided to run for President. But see her decision to run as VP to Marcos is a sign of long term stability.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 10, 2022, 12:28:17 pm by SydneyRover »
Thanks for that BR, I have only watched it recently myself as part of a short  journalism course Chris is running to help refugees.

http://chrisnash.com.au/philippines-philippines/

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 10, 2022, 12:58:07 pm by SydneyRover »
Thanks Sydney. When I am not at work in the Middle East my home is actually Cotabato City in Mindanao Southern Philippines. I am interested in the documentary if you can share it. Being as we are in the now Bangsamorrow region of Mindanao, I am well aware of the true fight and what went on between the Musilm Groups MNLF/MILF and the Philippines Government and Army, and the struggle for autonomy. My family have always held LGU positions and heavily involved in politics and the fight in this region. Yes in the latter years of the Ferdinand Marcos era the Filipino became tired that is correct, but in the early to mid years they did very well with jobs and education etc. The following governments that came in after the peoples power rise up fared no better and were deep in corruption with many Filipino needing to find overseas work to survive. Rodrigo Duterte is the only one to actually make a stand against the corruption and drug issues in the country. Yes its widely known it was brutal at first, but as someone who has witnessed his six years 1st hand he brought a massive change for the better. This has now got a chance to continue possibly for the next 12 years with BongBong in as President, Sara Duterte in at VP, with Sara then eligible to run for President in 2028. Sara would have absolutely walked all over BongBong yesterday had she decided to run for President. But see her decision to run as VP to Marcos is a sign of long term stability.

This is really interesting BR and a side of Duterte that few outside the Philippines would have learned including myself as his dark side is the bit that gets the headlines. Thanks

BahrainRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 10, 2022, 01:57:54 pm by BahrainRover »
Duterte was made to run for President by overwhelming public pressure from the whole of the nation, because of his time as Mayor in Davao and how he turned it around. When he decided to run he made a statement that its you the public who are asking me to do this job I am happy as I am being Mayor. He said if this is what you want then I will, but please be assured if I win from the very start it will not be nice it will not be pretty. But I will clean the streets of the drug pushers and users. I will incarcerate the corrupt politicians and people of authority feeding of of the sales of drugs. Once he was elected he produced a massive hit list of people to turn themselves in. He said I give you a chance now, turn yourself in before the deadline, fail to do so and the army will come and deal with you, no more chances. He opened mandatory rehab centers for those drug users that turned themselves in. This included training and education to allow them to better themselves once released.
Where I live we got put on marshal law, it was the best thing going for the whole region, a 10pm to 4am curfew. Cotabato City went from one of the most dangerous lawless wild west places to one of the top 5 safest cities in the Philippines. I now feel safer to walk the streets in Cotabato than I do in say BCG Makati in Manila.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 11, 2022, 02:10:37 am by SydneyRover »
Here's a different take on proceedings BR

''Philippines election: torture survivors from Marcos era in shock after son’s win''

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/10/philippines-election-torture-survivors-from-marcos-sr-era-in-shock-after-sons-win

BahrainRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 11, 2022, 03:29:18 am by BahrainRover »
We will only need to wait and see. I am honestly more interested in the BARMM region where we live. They have been fighting for autonomy for decades, Duterte has brought that. And now on Monday’s Halalan a Morrow (indigenous tribes) government final won power. Manila has little effect were we are apart from strangling the region and holding it back. I have hopes now for peace in what is a beautiful place. The former fighters are certainly turning themselves in. Will I finally get to travel in to the province with no assault weapon in the front footwell I only hope. We will see from the 1st of July onwards.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 11, 2022, 04:28:54 am by SydneyRover »
We will only need to wait and see. I am honestly more interested in the BARMM region where we live. They have been fighting for autonomy for decades, Duterte has brought that. And now on Monday’s Halalan a Morrow (indigenous tribes) government final won power. Manila has little effect were we are apart from strangling the region and holding it back. I have hopes now for peace in what is a beautiful place. The former fighters are certainly turning themselves in. Will I finally get to travel in to the province with no assault weapon in the front footwell I only hope. We will see from the 1st of July onwards.

Cotabato City certainly looks a colourful place from the photos on google images, your comments about centralised power echo across the world with the UK and Oz in a similar state where the money is spent in and around the capital/s.

BahrainRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 15, 2022, 04:48:39 pm by BahrainRover »
As a final note on this.
I have no interest in UK politics. But the messages of goodwill from all the world leaders has been shown on the news.
 Ours was the only country not to come from the leader or in the name of the leader
Instead it was someone called Liz Truss or something like that, who I have absolutely no idea is!!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 15, 2022, 10:48:53 pm by SydneyRover »
She's foreign Affairs minister but correct, hardly worth comment.

To revisit an old thread your favourite curry recipe would is sure to be welcomed by more than myself if you get a chance.

BahrainRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 16, 2022, 08:16:49 am by BahrainRover »
Ah yeah remember that thread, Beef Rendang has to be mine. Will dig it out.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 16, 2022, 08:27:40 am by SydneyRover »
Cool, thanks

TinyPortal © 2005-2012