Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:49:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Talk Your Way Out Of This One Johnson  (Read 76014 times)

River Don

• Forum Member
Re: Talk Your Way Out Of This One Johnson
« Reply #1110 on May 25, 2022, 07:17:20 pm by River Don »
Boris Johnson has claimed Downing Street aides attending a string of boozy lockdown parties “genuinely believed that what they were doing was working”.

Text messages suggesting staff don't carry bottles around the building, leave by the back door away from cameras and "I think we got away with it" suggest otherwise.

They must've had an inkling when the security started insisting they stop it.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 07:37:53 pm by River Don »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1111 on May 25, 2022, 07:18:31 pm by ForsolongaRover »
One side might be reminded of the of the parable of the mote and the beam. The conclusion about the location of the beam is surely beyond dispute. Perhaps it is debatable as to whether  an accusation of clutching at straws is apposite. But when it comes to character assassination, Starmer is obviously no saint, but it is difficult to recognise the character traits that some people seem to attribute to him. Whereas…

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1112 on May 25, 2022, 07:49:17 pm by River Don »
Crace hitting the mark pretty well this evening...

Asked if he was not bothered that his press officers had openly lied to the media about parties they themselves had been at. It was like this. His media team were like him. They genuinely believed their own lies. The vomit in their waste bins was work vomit.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1113 on May 25, 2022, 08:58:02 pm by wilts rover »
Nuff said

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1114 on May 25, 2022, 09:59:48 pm by ravenrover »
Well unless the 54 letters go in and he loses the vote of no confidence, it's all over and the greasy piglet has got away with it

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1115 on May 25, 2022, 10:02:30 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
There's still the Parliamentary investigation into him misleading the Commons to go yet.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #1116 on May 25, 2022, 10:14:36 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
There's still the Parliamentary investigation into him misleading the Commons to go yet.

Which will have a Tory majority, if they want to keep Boris they will.

He hasn't got away with it though, some votes won't forget potentially enough to massively harm him.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1117 on May 25, 2022, 10:23:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It's not really a question of him getting away with it. It's the damage it does to our system of Government.

Starmer doesn't always get the tone right in Parliament, but he was bang on today when he said our Constitution us fragile. It depends on political leaders at core being honest, and knowing that if they are not, and they get caught, that's curtains for them.

Our system gives the PM effectively unlimited power if Parliament doesn't control him or her. Once you establish the principle that a PM can lie baldly to Parliament and not be held to account, the system is smashed.

I really don't give a f**k what happens to that moral vacuum, Johnson. But I care very much about the damage he is inflicting on our Government, and I worry a lot about the standard he is setting for future politicians.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1118 on May 25, 2022, 11:02:51 pm by SydneyRover »
He hasn't really got away with anything has he?

He's shown to be a liar and untrustworthy. He can't deny it.

It's the tory MPs who are choosing not to do anything about the situation. Somehow I don't think leaving him in power will prove to be a wise decision but we'll see.
It's more the fools that put him in office, they must have thought despite evidence that somehow he could change that somehow the tory party would put the country before their self interest.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1119 on May 26, 2022, 01:37:31 am by SydneyRover »
the labour party will save quite a bit on the next election as the report has prewritten much of the the material, and the photos, especially the photos.

busadvertising

'sick on the carpet, wine on the walls, brawls in the halls'

vote tory

we promise to do our best

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #1120 on May 26, 2022, 06:45:02 am by turnbull for england »
Like Eton Rifles updated

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1121 on May 27, 2022, 04:39:55 am by SydneyRover »
just a reminder ............

''Eight in 10 Britons say Boris Johnson lied about lockdown parties''

Voters are not convinced that the prime minister has been honest in his response to ‘partygate’
MPs are due to vote today on whether to open an inquiry into whether Boris Johnson deliberately misled parliament about his involvement in several Covid law-breaking parties, after the prime minister received a fixed-penalty notice for ‘partygate’.

Politicians in parliament may be bound to a strict set of rules that leave them unable to call other members dishonest, but the British public are not so constrained. So, what do they think – did Boris Johnson lie?

New polling from YouGov / The Times reveals more than three quarters of Britons (78%) think Boris Johnson has lied in his response to the issue of parties being held at Downing Street during lockdown. Just 8% think he has not lied, and 14% are unsure.

Half of current Conservative supporters think the prime minister lied about ‘partygate’
Half of those who currently intend to vote Conservative (51%) say Boris Johnson has lied about ‘partygate’, with a quarter (25%) saying he has not lied and a further 25% unsure.

Those who backed the party in the 2019 general election are more likely still to think that the prime minister has lied, at 61%.

Labour voters are almost unanimous in their opinion of the prime minister’s dishonesty, with 95% of those who backed the party in 2019 and 96% who do so now accusing Johnson of lying.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/04/21/eight-10-britons-say-boris-johnson-lied-about-lock

Hmmm some around these parts are defnaly in the minority

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1122 on May 27, 2022, 08:36:26 am by drfchound »
Not necessarily.
Your copy and paste item says that 51% of those polled intend to vote Conservative despite thinking that Boris lied.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #1123 on May 27, 2022, 09:24:01 am by Bentley Bullet »
It's not really a question of him getting away with it. It's the damage it does to our system of Government.

Starmer doesn't always get the tone right in Parliament, but he was bang on today when he said our Constitution us fragile. It depends on political leaders at core being honest, and knowing that if they are not, and they get caught, that's curtains for them.

Our system gives the PM effectively unlimited power if Parliament doesn't control him or her. Once you establish the principle that a PM can lie baldly to Parliament and not be held to account, the system is smashed.

I really don't give a f**k what happens to that moral vacuum, Johnson. But I care very much about the damage he is inflicting on our Government, and I worry a lot about the standard he is setting for future politicians.
You talk about lies and principles yet you want the Labour party to gain power in the only way it can, by means of right-wing policies and then conning the electorate by changing to left-wing policies.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1124 on May 27, 2022, 09:26:28 am by River Don »
I don't think that's right Hound

Just over half (51%) of those who still intend to vote conservative think he's a liar

It's quite concerning that so many will still vote for a liar.

61% of those who voted Conservative last time think he's a liar.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #1125 on May 27, 2022, 09:29:31 am by Bentley Bullet »
How many people think Starmer's a liar?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1126 on May 27, 2022, 09:50:59 am by SydneyRover »

You and hound, maybe you could scape enough together for a game of brag

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1127 on May 27, 2022, 10:07:38 am by SydneyRover »

And if you wish to spell out the circumstances that makes you say he's a liar, I will can flick a copy and a forum link to his office, just to establish you're not all mouth no trousers like bb

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1128 on May 27, 2022, 10:11:32 am by BillyStubbsTears »

You talk about lies and principles yet you want the Labour party to gain power in the only way it can, by means of right-wing policies and then conning the electorate by changing to left-wing policies.

Yep.

• VSC Member
« Reply #1129 on May 27, 2022, 11:45:59 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
the labour party will save quite a bit on the next election as the report has prewritten much of the the material, and the photos, especially the photos.

busadvertising

vote tory

Do you think that will work?  What's more powerful, criticism of cheese and wine or pledges to make the country more wealthy with higher standards of living?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1130 on May 27, 2022, 11:47:41 am by SydneyRover »
I think you replied to the wrong comment pud

mugnapper

• Forum Member
« Reply #1131 on May 27, 2022, 01:00:12 pm by mugnapper »

busadvertising

vote tory

Do you think that will work?  What's more powerful, criticism of cheese and wine or pledges to make the country more wealthy with higher standards of living?

The Tories have been in power for 12 years. Does anyone feel better off?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1132 on May 27, 2022, 01:00:38 pm by wilts rover »

Which will have a Tory majority, if they want to keep Boris they will.

He hasn't got away with it though, some votes won't forget potentially enough to massively harm him.

I seem to remember hearing on the radio that all of the Tories on Priviledges Committe are critics of Johnson, so the report may not be quite as easy as all that.

But all they can do is say he lied - no-one can force him to resign if he doesn't want too. His supporters dont care - as shown by posts in this thread.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1133 on May 27, 2022, 01:16:56 pm by drfchound »
I don't think that's right Hound

Just over half (51%) of those who still intend to vote conservative think he's a liar

It's quite concerning that so many will still vote for a liar.

61% of those who voted Conservative last time think he's a liar.

I read it differently RD.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1134 on May 27, 2022, 01:19:07 pm by SydneyRover »
It's probably the reason he sticks to his lies and will take being a liar over the humiliation of resigning.

...... But the committee will look into something quite different from the other two investigations. It is not intended to examine the extent of law-breaking but whether Johnson deliberately misled parliament. Doing so is a cardinal offence, given the ministerial code that bears the prime minister’s signature states clearly that ministers who do so are expected to offer their resignation.

The committee will have wide-ranging powers to call for papers and other evidential documents – such as photographs, which could prove particularly damning for Johnson – and summon witnesses.

The difficulty they will face, though, is that it may prove tricky to prove without equivocation that Johnson knowingly misled parliament about his knowledge of law-breaking .......

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/apr/21/what-is-the-commons-privileges-committee-and-how-powerful-is-it

And all the while nothing much gets done in parliament except patch up jobs.

• VSC Member
« Reply #1135 on May 27, 2022, 02:37:47 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I think you replied to the wrong comment pud

Nope, it was a fair question.  I want to vote for a party that's actually going to make things better for us. Labour are close to that bracket now, they will win if they are positive on what they can offer. Go in on a 'we aren't them' angle and I can't see it.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1136 on May 27, 2022, 02:44:56 pm by drfchound »
Apparently they are likely to go in with a right wing manifesto and if they were to win, change back to lefties.
And some people think that is ok !!

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #1137 on May 27, 2022, 03:24:39 pm by River Don »
I see old Boris is weakening the ministerial code now.

What a joke

Johnson's predictable solution to being repeatedly caught breaking the law and the rules is... to remove the law and the rules!

The lunatic really has taken over the asylum.

We can expect more of this if they don't get rid of him
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 03:33:43 pm by River Don »

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1138 on May 27, 2022, 04:20:18 pm by ForsolongaRover »
I suppose political views are driven by something akin to religious faith , but when the human manifestation of on side’s particular creed is Boris Johnson, it is immensely courageous.

Mr Sunak has assured us in the strongest of terms that his recent announcement is not intended to “make smoke”. Presumably his occupancy of the Number 10 flat did not give him any inkling of the alleged rule breaking throughout the same property. (“I say Boris there was a heck of a lot of noise again downstairs last night. What was all that about?)

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1139 on May 27, 2022, 04:21:14 pm by ForsolongaRover »
“one side’s”

TinyPortal © 2005-2012