Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:25:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Adam Clayton  (Read 9346 times)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Adam Clayton
« on January 25, 2022, 12:01:35 pm by roversdude »
Signed on 18 month deal

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Adam Clayton
« Reply #1 on January 25, 2022, 12:02:21 pm by Chris Black come back »
He’s a good player from what I remember. Knocking on a bit but that is some of his value.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 25, 2022, 12:03:45 pm by roversdude »
Some kn*b has already updated wiki to say he plays for netto fc

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 25, 2022, 12:04:39 pm by Arsenal Of The North »
What a coupe that is for the position we are currently in, yes he may not have played as much as we like but no doubt this lad has some very good experience playing at the highest end of the championship.

Real statement from the club they do mean business.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 25, 2022, 12:05:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Getting close to The Edge now.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 25, 2022, 12:05:35 pm by roversdude »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 25, 2022, 12:07:57 pm by drfchound »
Good to see that he is old enough to grow a beard.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 25, 2022, 12:08:39 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Does he still have the beard?

Snodthegod

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 25, 2022, 12:08:52 pm by Snodthegod »

I expected to see some dodgy puns, but Billy, Ididn't think I'd see them from you too...

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 25, 2022, 12:09:04 pm by Chris Black come back »

Delete your account.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 25, 2022, 12:09:34 pm by roversdude »
Hope oggy is true to his word and pays the money to charity

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 25, 2022, 12:10:07 pm by roversdude »

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 25, 2022, 12:14:45 pm by Donnybax »
Excellent signing, adds much needed experience and steel to the midfield. Played the vast majority of his career in the championship and at 33 he’s hardly past it

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 25, 2022, 12:16:12 pm by Dare to dream! »
18 month deal - probs means that Bostock isn’t in GM long term plans for next season.

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 25, 2022, 12:16:43 pm by Bollinger »
There was a hold up in discussions because of the legal fees but fortunately Rovers got a solicitor to do the work on a pro bono basis.

I’ll get me coat.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 25, 2022, 12:21:12 pm by since-1969 »
Why was his contract at Birmingham terminated in November 21 .

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 25, 2022, 12:21:28 pm by Donny Exile in York »
A very positive signing. A mister and valuable experience in a key position. Whatever division we are in next season, his signing will be a great addition.  Used to be a class act at Boro and Huddersfield, albeit 5 to 10 years ago. If he is fit enough, then a great signing. A mister. We badly need a few misters.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 25, 2022, 12:25:22 pm by GazLaz »
We’ve signed two 32/33 year olds in one window. Both played a dozen games in 18months. Whatever the situation, you never need to do that.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 25, 2022, 12:28:24 pm by dickos1 »
Usually agree with you gaz but experience was exactly what we needed in this window

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 25, 2022, 12:28:45 pm by Dare to dream! »
We’ve signed two 32/33 year olds in one window. Both played a dozen games in 18months. Whatever the situation, you never need to do that.

Disagree. They are both capable of playing in league two.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 25, 2022, 12:31:19 pm by Bessie Red »
I believe that GMc is putting together a good strong Lge 2 side early so that come the start of next season we will be one of the main contenders for Auto promotion.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 25, 2022, 12:31:54 pm by pib »

No doubt you'll get pelters for this (and I may do as well for this response) but it does make you wonder what the thinking is when the season is pretty much a foregone conclusion.

Not just that, but when you're trying to make the club sustainable, at 33, this is money you're not going to ever get back.

He's a decent player like and hopefully will do a job, but it doesn't jump out as very strategic to me.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 25, 2022, 12:33:22 pm by ditch_drfc »
I'd say fairly good signing. In his prime a very good player. Has the potential to fill a gap in our squad but also wary it could go the way of Richard Naylor and Robbie Blake. Probably a gamble worth taking.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 25, 2022, 12:34:50 pm by dickos1 »

No doubt you'll get pelters for this (and I may do as well for this response) but it does make you wonder what the thinking is when the season is pretty much a foregone conclusion.

Not just that, but when you're trying to make the club sustainable, at 33, this is money you're not going to ever get back.

He's a decent player like and hopefully will do a job, but it doesn't jump out as very strategic to me.

It’s all about balance and people are never happy so the club can’t win.
When we signed the likes of younger and olowu the response is we need experience then when we sign experience the response is it’s not very strategic

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 25, 2022, 12:35:54 pm by Chris Black come back »
If you look at our midfield options for next season, we don’t have Smith or Galbraith, and we very likely don’t have Bostock and Gardner. Clayton yes is 33 (and a good player) but is pretty much our only contracted midfielder for next season. We can recruit 21/22 year olds to supplement him as we plan for the future. Nobody is saying entire midfield will be same age profile.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 25, 2022, 12:43:19 pm by pib »

It’s all about balance and people are never happy so the club can’t win.
When we signed the likes of younger and olowu the response is we need experience then when we sign experience the response is it’s not very strategic

I never said we needed experience when we signed Olowu and Younger. Don't think Gaz did either. I think they were two decent bits of business that will probably have upside if they both develop as players.

I knew I'd get accused of moaning or being "never happy" - it's not that at all. This guy will probably be a tidy player for the next 6-12 months if he can get fit quickly. But I care about the club and am concerned in the mid to long term that we haven't learned any lessons from what's happened before. Short-term fixes, no resale value, short term contracts and/or contracts expiring in bulk, gambles on players who aren't physically up to speed, managers dictating the football strategy and everything being ripped up when the next manager comes along.

I may well be proven wrong if the club starts doing deals like the Younger one that outweigh these ones (I hope so!). But out of the 4 signings this January, half of them have been in their 30's with patchy recent records of actually playing football, so forgive me for questioning it.

That's what's got us into the state we're in now. If I'm a moaning f*cker for not wanting that to keep happening, so be it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 12:50:53 pm by pib »

jm291

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 25, 2022, 12:47:04 pm by jm291 »
Just the type of player we need. Experienced head to try and get us out this mess this season and if not then a top end league two player for next year. As we've seen from before experience counts in getting you promoted from league two (Jones, Painter, McCombe, Brown etc).

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 25, 2022, 12:47:24 pm by GazLaz »
Usually agree with you gaz but experience was exactly what we needed in this window

What is experience?? I think we needed maturity. You don’t have to be 33yo to have that.

Let’s be honest, he’s not fully fit but Agard looks like he can’t run and I saw Clayton at Birmingham, he’s the same.

They may end up being great players in L2 but this isn’t the way we need to be going. It’s not what intelligent operators do. Obviously depends on what he’s earning, if he’s on £500 a week then it may be a low cost gamble. Why not give him 6 months to see what he has left? I could make you 20 players that would walk to the Keepmoat for a contract in the summer that would be smarter options than Agard and Clayton.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 25, 2022, 12:50:32 pm by Bezza »
Just as a signing should be, done and dusted then announced, hopefully he comes ready to go, lots of midfielder's are at their peak at 33,

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 25, 2022, 12:58:31 pm by GazLaz »
The last player Lee Bowyer couldn’t wait to get rid of, and we ended up with was… Bogle. He’s a good judge of a player is Lee Bowyer. The Champ is a big step up from where we are but he must have thought Clayton had completely gone to not even let him train with the squad this season.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012