Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:00:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Adam Clayton  (Read 9353 times)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Adam Clayton
« Reply #90 on January 25, 2022, 05:49:35 pm by GazLaz »
We’ve signed three 32+ year olds in two windows and had a deal for another fall through at the last minute. That’s not how to be doing things.

We wouldn’t have signed Clayton if we’d got o toole.
And we’ve also made some good progressive signings this season in owulu, younger, knoyle,

They play different positions. If they thought JJOT is a midfielder it’s time to give up now because they are guessing.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on January 25, 2022, 05:51:49 pm by GazLaz »
This “experience leaders” line is bullshit by the way. Look at Rotherham’s midfield. Average age 25, they will out fight any midfield in L1. They can outrun experience.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on January 25, 2022, 05:54:02 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Happy with this signing. Ticks the boxes of what we've been looking for, although I've seen him a few times in recent years mainly in 100mph local derbies, so I'm not sure of his full range of abilities but he'll add that bit of strength and noise we need.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on January 25, 2022, 05:55:39 pm by dickos1 »
I imagine there were lots of comments like this when we signed players like oster and horlock,

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on January 25, 2022, 06:07:41 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Hope he plays a bit more than Horlock like

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on January 25, 2022, 06:10:25 pm by Colin C No.3 »
I imagine there were lots of comments like this when we signed players like oster and horlock,
Quick, change Horlock for……..anybody!

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on January 25, 2022, 06:17:02 pm by donnievic »
We’ve signed two 32/33 year olds in one window. Both played a dozen games in 18months. Whatever the situation, you never need to do that.

No doubt you'll get pelters for this (and I may do as well for this response) but it does make you wonder what the thinking is when the season is pretty much a foregone conclusion.

Not just that, but when you're trying to make the club sustainable, at 33, this is money you're not going to ever get back.

He's a decent player like and hopefully will do a job, but it doesn't jump out as very strategic to me.
have I missed sumthing here!!!!!!money were not going to get back?????have we paid a fee for him like,sure any wages we spend on players we won’t get back

You recoup money if you can sell a player, yes.
but we are only spending on his wages like anyone else that we would get and wouldn’t recoup any of their wages so don’t get this we won’t recoup any money we are spending on him

So when we sold Marquis and Whiteman for £1m+, we didn't recoup any of our outlay we'd spent on them?
[/quote
We’ve signed two 32/33 year olds in one window. Both played a dozen games in 18months. Whatever the situation, you never need to do that.

No doubt you'll get pelters for this (and I may do as well for this response) but it does make you wonder what the thinking is when the season is pretty much a foregone conclusion.

Not just that, but when you're trying to make the club sustainable, at 33, this is money you're not going to ever get back.

He's a decent player like and hopefully will do a job, but it doesn't jump out as very strategic to me.
have I missed sumthing here!!!!!!money were not going to get back?????have we paid a fee for him like,sure any wages we spend on players we won’t get back

but we are only spending on his wages like anyone else that we would get and wouldn’t recoup any of their wages so don’t get this we won’t recoup any money we are spending on him

So when we sold Marquis and Whiteman for £1m+, we didn't recoup any of our outlay we'd spent on them?
I don’t think we paid a fee for Marquis did we but yeah we recouped money on whiteman as we paid a fee for him

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on January 25, 2022, 06:21:08 pm by donnievic »

Were less likely to receive money for Clayton than we would for someone 10 years younger is all he's saying.
same could be said about any player though regardless of age

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on January 25, 2022, 06:27:27 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
We’ve signed three 32+ year olds in two windows and had a deal for another fall through at the last minute. That’s not how to be doing things.

A bit of balance is good though isn't it?

Jamie mccombe
Rob Jones
Paul Barnes
Gareth Taylor
Neil sullivan
Kevin Horlock

Just a few examples of experience who did pretty well, could add Gary mcsheffrey to that too.

We need a bit more experience in the team just for balance with a lot of youngsters also.

Saw a point on Rotherhams midfield.  If we had Galbraith, smith and Clayton in there what's our average midfield age?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on January 25, 2022, 06:34:56 pm by Chris Black come back »
Quick, change Horlock for……..anybody!

World beater in those 13 games on loan. Not such a great impact in the 2 games as a permanent signing before he basically retired due to injury.

TixTheBox

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on January 25, 2022, 06:41:04 pm by TixTheBox »
There’s no right or wrong way when it comes to age experience being important V age experience not being important. Every squads needs are different. We absolutely needed an older head in the middle and I am as strong in views of how poorly ran football wise we are as is humanly possible.

Solid signing for next season’s needs.

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on January 25, 2022, 06:46:39 pm by coventryrover »
Happy with this signing.   Again the board backing the manager as much as they can 

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on January 25, 2022, 06:49:44 pm by Filo »
Two loan slots to fill yet, this has the makings of an excellent window

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on January 25, 2022, 06:53:19 pm by pib »

[/quote

I don’t think we paid a fee for Marquis did we but yeah we recouped money on whiteman as we paid a fee for him

I know we didn’t pay a fee for Marquis. He didn’t play for nothing though did he?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on January 25, 2022, 06:54:42 pm by drfchound »
Usually agree with you gaz but experience was exactly what we needed in this window

What is experience?? I think we needed maturity. You don’t have to be 33yo to have that.

Let’s be honest, he’s not fully fit but Agard looks like he can’t run and I saw Clayton at Birmingham, he’s the same.

They may end up being great players in L2 but this isn’t the way we need to be going. It’s not what intelligent operators do. Obviously depends on what he’s earning, if he’s on £500 a week then it may be a low cost gamble. Why not give him 6 months to see what he has left? I could make you 20 players that would walk to the Keepmoat for a contract in the summer that would be smarter options than Agard and Clayton.

There are players at Farley Celtic on £500 a week.
I know this for certain.

We don't need any more Creche members.

Haha, good spot pies.
Those ruskies are getting everywhere aren’t they.

Point of interest though, that is what happens when the wife wants the iPad and I haven’t finished my post.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on January 25, 2022, 07:05:36 pm by GazLaz »

Jamie mccombe
Rob Jones
Paul Barnes
Gareth Taylor
Neil sullivan
Kevin Horlock

Just a few examples of experience who did pretty well, could add Gary mcsheffrey to that too.

We need a bit more experience in the team just for balance with a lot of youngsters also.

Saw a point on Rotherhams midfield.  If we had Galbraith, smith and Clayton in there what's our average midfield age?

Is Agard, Rowe, Taylor, Bostock and Anderson enough experience in a team? Obviously not all fit at the minute but when they are there’s plenty of years under the belt there.

Experience is the most over valued commodity in football. That’s a fact. I’m not saying it doesn’t play a part but it’s a cop out for poor coaches or poor recruitment a lot of the time.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on January 25, 2022, 07:33:48 pm by Chris Black come back »
I don’t know whether he has all of a sudden become knackered but not much more than a year ago he was a regular and top performer in the Championship. Maybe he is now over the edge, maybe not.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on January 25, 2022, 08:08:23 pm by Janso »
After seeing some of the embarrassing performances from young lightweight kids this season, being bullied and outfought all over the park by League 1 mesters, I can't believe people are being negative about players in their early 30s being signed.

Our fans will find something to be negative about in everything.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on January 25, 2022, 08:50:28 pm by mushRTID »

Jamie mccombe
Rob Jones
Paul Barnes
Gareth Taylor
Neil sullivan
Kevin Horlock

Experience is the most over valued commodity in football. That’s a fact. I’m not saying it doesn’t play a part but it’s a cop out for poor coaches or poor recruitment a lot of the time.

What makes it a fact? As it sounds very much like your opinion.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on January 25, 2022, 09:24:51 pm by RoversAlias »
Not every player you sign needs resale value. Not every player needs to be a world-beater either.

If Clayton gets fit and is HALF the player he was only a few years ago, playing every week for a Premier League team, he will be a great signing. His style of play, if he can do it, is exactly what we need. We were going to sign O'Toole for this role.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on January 25, 2022, 09:31:25 pm by Bessie Red »

Jamie mccombe
Rob Jones
Paul Barnes
Gareth Taylor
Neil sullivan
Kevin Horlock

Is Agard, Rowe, Taylor, Bostock and Anderson enough experience in a team? Obviously not all fit at the minute but when they are there’s plenty of years under the belt there.

Perhaps you should apply for the managers job next time it comes up, you'd have us in the Prem within 5 years you're that knowledgeable on footie!!

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on January 25, 2022, 09:46:47 pm by Butchers Red »
Very important and significant signing, right up there with when Snods got Dave Penney on board.Hope it works out as well as that one did.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on January 25, 2022, 09:48:43 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
It's about balance i'm happy so long as we sign, say, 3 players or Youngers ilk for every one in Claytons bracket. Need to be consistent in our approach it'll pay off in the long run.

Given we're in Jan they'll be more players like Agard and Clayton available than there will be ones like Younger.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on January 25, 2022, 11:21:39 pm by Dagenham Rover »
We needed some "old heads"  Sometimes the old experienced head can get a machine up and running while the young head says wtf do we do here and phones the old head for advice  :)   

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on January 25, 2022, 11:33:22 pm by Michael Shaw »
I didn’t think the board would have the courage to sack Wellens, but I am delighted they proved me wrong. I think we have made solid signings that will produce far better results going forward. Whether it is enough to keep us up we can only wait and see. When we are bottom of the league we are unlikely to encourage anyone to come to Rovers unless they are offered an 18 month contract.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on January 26, 2022, 12:07:02 am by ForsolongaRover »
No one can be sure how he will develop/redevelop once he gets up to speed and fitness. Undoubtedly a difficult judgement. I feel that GM has made good decisions so far and I suspect that his knowledge of the player and his remaining potential is probably more extensive than most. I would have thought that in these circumstances the risk in signing a older player with this history is one that is worth taking.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 09:15:01 am by ForsolongaRover »

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on January 26, 2022, 03:15:54 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Clayton could help the resale value of the younger players ,with the knowledge he can pass on.
He’s been a good player all his career, he knows what he can and can’t do. This could be a shrewd signing.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #117 on January 26, 2022, 09:27:47 am by Colin C No.3 »

Jamie mccombe
Rob Jones
Paul Barnes
Gareth Taylor
Neil sullivan
Kevin Horlock

Kevin Horlock played 19 games for us in two years because he was ‘crocked’.

Gareth Taylor played 31 games & scored 1 goal.

Not the ‘best two’ to support your argument.

bahrain rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on January 26, 2022, 10:43:33 am by bahrain rover »
My claim to fame is in 2010/11 I worked for U2 Adam Clayton!!! I restored Danesmoate where U2 recorded The Joshua Tree, and Clayton made it his home.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #119 on January 26, 2022, 10:44:49 am by idler »
Sometimes as a young player you just need an older head that you can give the ball to with confidence that he won’t give it straight away.
It makes the game so much easier rather than panic and aimlessly hoof the ball forward or lose it in a tackle.
He could give our midfield that option and improve their confidence which in turn helps the back line out.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012