Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 09:58:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let' talk about the Sunderland game  (Read 8811 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let' talk about the Sunderland game
« on February 02, 2022, 08:32:11 am by selby »
  It is hard to see just how we can recover from the battering we took last night against another side who completely overpowered us some weeks ago the same as Rotherham did last night.
  Part of the problem after signing so many new players and the excitement that created is that realistically we are undergoing yet another preseason during a season with so many newby's, and it is no surprise that experienced supporters such as Hound and Billy Stubbs Tears agreeing it was hard to see a consistent style of play, now there is a turn up for the book those two agreeing about anything,  and me along with them, football can work wonders.
  It was a hard watch last night us being taken to the cleaners by a strong side at this level, who will probably undergo again the same troubles and tribulations as we are next season when they once again play at a level they are unsuited to with that style of play.
  How do we get over that performance ourselves in just a few days against a team that have the ability to pile on even more hurt and pressure on our team and management is hard to see, and against a team that themselves are smarting from a disastrous result and will want to give us a good hiding to recover some of their pride.
  The first thing we have to do is pick ourselves up, be determined to fight for every ball,and have some pride in our efforts whether they are good enough or not. The game last night when we showed very little is a big knock when everyone was seeing a little improvement and new players through the door.
  We must at all costs show up better to the end of the season for the sake of next season whatever league we are in, we have been abject for a full year and it has to be arrested however we do it it's as simple as that.
  All the usual questions about what team make up we play etc. etc. can be asked about the game and many more deeper insightful questions about the clubs identity and travel in the game to be discussed, please feel free to have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: Let' talk about the Sunderland game
« Reply #1 on February 02, 2022, 08:34:37 am by DonnyOsmond »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 02, 2022, 08:43:09 am by Chris Black come back »
Sunderland have the best home record in League One and the best home defensive record. They’ve conceded only 9 times in 14 league games. Only Rotherham have scored more goals at home in the league this season. No other team has won as many home games.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 02, 2022, 09:00:39 am by colincramb »
After their debacle at Bolton the fans will be baying for blood this weekend.

I fear another absolute tonking against another physical team - the exact kind we capitulate against.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 02, 2022, 09:07:51 am by steve@dcfd »
We’ve got the squad we’ve got a manager learning the role players learning their roles and within the team. Again can’t see past a loss we are not good enough and if it continues we won’t be good enough in league 2 either. 3 pts from the last 30pts with 17 games left another 51 pts will we achieve another 6pts.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 02, 2022, 09:10:42 am by drfchound »
With regards to the thread title, I would rather not.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 02, 2022, 09:26:24 am by sha66y »
I’m feeling an apathy bordering on acceptance from our fanbase, I don’t think it really matters who is up next and the score line is just a by product of our accumulated problems….

I’ll keep banging this drum until someone can say I’m wrong!

The next 7-8 games are not realistically winnable , Gary knows this and so do we, so the best way to exit this period is to blood the newbies and experiment with shapes and positioning until something works and looks right….then finish the 8-10 games with a better idea of what this squad can do and more importantly who can be moved on for next seasons tough outing!

Sunderland will beat us, we will play a different formation and some performances will stand out more than others…. And Gary will get a better understanding of what is needed, which in the long run benefits us!

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 02, 2022, 09:32:50 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Couldn't give a toss about this game. GM can put Mitchell up top for all i care. We will get mullered. The chance to build on the very promising Plymouth performance was wiped away literally overnight by what GM did yesterday. Who knows what the line up will be?

Anyone travelling up for this game either has nothing else to do of a Saturday or is struggling with increasing mental difficulties, and please don't give me 'because it's what fans do' b*llocks. Half of this team and this manager have proven now that they aren't worth supporting.

Support the football club. Go to home games.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 02, 2022, 09:34:46 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
Jermaine Defoe must have a cock like wrought iron at the thought of facing us.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 02, 2022, 09:35:31 am by sha66y »
Couldn't give a toss about this game. GM can put Mitchell up top for all i care. We will get mullered. The chance to build on the very promising Plymouth performance was wiped away literally overnight by what GM did yesterday. Who knows what the line up will be?

Anyone travelling up for this game either has nothing else to do of a Saturday or is struggling with increasing mental difficulties, and please don't give me 'because it's what fans do' b*llocks. Half of this team and this manager have proven now that they aren't worth supporting.

You could have just disagreed with what I wrote instead of churning out an angrier version!

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 02, 2022, 09:39:18 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »

You could have just disagreed with what I wrote instead of churning out an angrier version!

Haha yeah i guess. Still haven't calmed down from last night i'm afraid. Just unbelievable. I genuinely thought against Plymouth we had a lot more to work with going forward but back to square one within the space of a few days thanks to the L1 equivalent of f**king Claudio Ranieri.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 02, 2022, 09:46:27 am by normal rules »

I’m slightly concerned your thoughts around our impending doom at this game seems to focus on this chaps Phallus?

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 02, 2022, 09:48:04 am by Monkcaster_Rover »

I’m slightly concerned your thoughts around our impending doom at this game seems to focus on this chaps Phallus?

Phwoar.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 02, 2022, 10:37:59 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Even though i'm not bothered  ;) i'd say drop Horton and put Jackson in there. Drop Dodoo and Mipo and start Agard and Griffiths. Jones back in net is a no brainer. Start Martin. Drop Seaman. Start Galbraith. That would be a good place to start from.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 02, 2022, 10:44:19 am by GazLaz »
If the squad that played last night are all fit if play…

Mitchell

Jackson
Younger
Olowu
Knoyle

Rowe
Galbraith
Smith

Martin
Reo

Mipo

I’d be tempted to put Williams back in if he’s fully fit. May sound mad but taking one of the young centre halves out of the firing line for a couple of games may be wise. Olowu has done ok but these kids need managing, they can’t be expected to play week in week out to a good level.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 02, 2022, 10:50:33 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Knoyle IMO has been dire all season. Half the time i don't even know he's playing. No other option i guess in that slot either.

Our squad is far too lightweight throughout.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 02, 2022, 11:24:28 am by RoversAlias »
This will be my first "away" game in two years, although it is only a short drive from where I live.

I fully expect us to get tonked 7-0. The Sunderland fans will be in great mood now Johnson has been sacked and Jermain Defoe is back - Defoe is top, top quality and will have a field day with our defence. The signing is akin to us signing Billy Sharp in the summer for League Two.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 02, 2022, 01:55:44 pm by selby »
  RA, I hope you enjoy the day, Defoe is crap and they blow up in front of their own crowd, a long shot I know but anyone who travels up there deserve to at least see a performance after last night.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 02, 2022, 02:02:44 pm by steve@dcfd »
Will they have a new Manager place before Saturday??

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 02, 2022, 05:35:51 pm by scawsby steve »
Five reasons why we'll probably lose by 7 or 8 goals. 1) They'll be like a wounded animal after their 0-6 mauling at Bolton, and desperate to react(the same won't apply to us after our thrashing last night).

2) There'll be a new manager bounce, even if he's not in place before the game.

3) They're at home, in front of a massive fanatical crowd.

4) They've already cruised past us 3-0 at the Keepmoat, without getting out of second gear.

5) They're our biggest bogey team in League 1. In the last 3 years we've played them 7 times; they've won 5, and the other 2 were draws.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 02, 2022, 05:58:43 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
Jones

Knoyle younger Olowu Jackson

Galbraith smith

Mipo rowe Martin

Griffiths

Need to be a lot of changes from yesterday and need to start on the front foot like we did against Plymouth. Sunderland are also coming off the back of a hammering so even tho they have sacked their manager and their fans will be up for it due to the return of Defoe and the donations to the bradley Lowery foundation, if we get off to a good start and maybe an early goal then the mood around the ground will change and u never know.

Jones should come back in because Mitchell had a mare last night (was at fault for at least 3 of the goals) and don’t think jones should’ve been dropped in the first place. Horton is really shaky defensively and his poor touch lead to their second goal so think it’s time for Jackson to come in. Galbraith improved the team when he came on yesterday and looked to carry the ball forward, he should come in for Clayton. Martin was another one where I didn’t understand him being dropped as he has been brilliant since signing. Reo looked decent when he came on yesterday but it’s just whether he is ready to start or not yet, if not then agard or Dodoo will start.

Can’t see anything other than a defeat with their home record but the first goal is massive.

TixTheBox

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 02, 2022, 06:11:15 pm by TixTheBox »
I dread to think what score we’ll lose this one by.

I’m interested to see what McSheffrey has learnt from last night and also what line-up and set up he opts for.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 02, 2022, 06:39:19 pm by Spud »
Louis back in for me, get off his back we've had far worse. Galbraith hopefully fit to start, Josh Martin in.
Let's just hope we have a go & get back to trying to play football at least, we bottled it last night even though they were always gonna beat us.
Weekend away for me, worst case I'll drink it away by 8 o'clock, best case I'll have the geordies singing with me by then.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 02, 2022, 09:59:35 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
Just seen on Twitter that Sunderland have offered Roy Keane the managerial role after productive talks today.

Announcement set to be made on Friday apparently.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 02, 2022, 10:38:41 pm by Rovers91 »
If we have a shot on target at Sunderland I will be surprised, also Defoe could play with both his boot places tied together and still get a hat trick past our keepers so dread to think what score it will be.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 02, 2022, 10:44:45 pm by Chris Black come back »
They have scored in every single home league game bar one. They have also scored 5 at home on three separate occasions this season - against Cheltenham, Sheff Weds and Morecambe.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 03, 2022, 02:55:59 pm by selby »
 Tough game the same as the MK Dons looked before hand and look what happened there.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 04, 2022, 06:49:02 pm by selby »
Things stacking up against us, a team smarting from their last result, a good home record, new men in charge for the game and us having just been completely outclassed, and apart from a win 60 odd years ago in a cup shock and a solitary point gained in all our league fixtures in the past up there, we have been well beaten even when we have had a good team.
  A surprise 2-1 win then.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 06:52:01 pm by selby »

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 04, 2022, 07:26:37 pm by BVB »
I’d like to think Sunderland won’t be the only team on that pitch tomorrow smarting from a recent hammering either.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 04, 2022, 07:51:48 pm by Copps is Magic »
Chin up, back straight, balls tucked in. We'll do these tomorrow.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012