Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 07:57:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 20 points from last 10 games  (Read 6928 times)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
Re: 20 points from last 10 games
« Reply #30 on February 28, 2022, 09:26:23 pm by Jonathan »
Of course Bostock has a role to play and it’s not just to come on if we’re leading. He can pick a pass and he can retain possession, which is something we’ve struggled with in games recently. He can also (contrary to the belief of many on here) win back possession, if not by crunching tackles then by smart positioning.

He’ll need to adjust his game and up the tempo, but I believe he has the ability to do that.

Both Bostock and Clayton will be important options for the run in.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on February 28, 2022, 10:31:56 pm by Campsall rover »
Of course Bostock has a role to play and it’s not just to come on if we’re leading. He can pick a pass and he can retain possession, which is something we’ve struggled with in games recently. He can also (contrary to the belief of many on here) win back possession, if not by crunching tackles then by smart positioning.

He’ll need to adjust his game and up the tempo, but I believe he has the ability to do that.

I would rather start with a fit Galbraith. Much more mobile and also can see and execute a pass.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on February 28, 2022, 10:57:06 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
When they’re both back and able to start I’d have one of Galbraith or Bostock in the team, with how McSheffrey wants to play they will do very well imo. GMc wants us to get the ball in behind and over the top but the midfield we have got atm struggle to do that, smith and Martin get a few in behind but Bostock and Galbraith (Clayton aswell possibly) would be able to do it more regularly creating more chances for the likes of Reo and also having Rowe and Smith or whoever plays as a number 8 pushing on to help out. They would also help us keep hold of the ball when we get it, something we need to improve on massively.

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on March 01, 2022, 09:31:06 am by Plumbster »
This is where the blend in midfield becomes important- both Bostock and Smith have their qualities but both are inclined to play the safe ball (usually to players less technically able than they are) and I don’t think we should play both together unless we actually get the wing backs forward.

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on March 01, 2022, 09:50:45 am by DRCraig »
6 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses I reckon.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on March 01, 2022, 10:07:02 am by colincramb »
We’ve been, generally, shocking on the ball for the last few months. From what I’ve seen, we have really struggled to put our foot on it to relieve periods of pressure, hoofing aimless balls to the opposition when we run out of ideas which is just inviting more pressure.

We appeared to keep the ball much better when bostock was in the team. We desperately need this ability to control games better. I can’t understand why people wouldn’t want a player of his quality back in the midfield

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on March 01, 2022, 10:13:19 am by colincramb »
I also think a few are misguiding their optimism around the points tally others might get here. If we are sat her thinking we will get x amount of points from our last 10, you can expect the opposition are doing exactly the same. Teams at the bottom will all raise their performance levels over the next 6 weeks to fight relegation. Last weekend’s results proved that.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on March 01, 2022, 10:20:14 am by Campsall rover »
If we do that we will definitely stay up.  I hope your right. I will snap your hand off for 5 wins and 2 draws which I think will also keep us up.  I will take 5 wins and 1 draw if you give me that without hesitation.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on March 01, 2022, 10:41:53 am by Campsall rover »
I also think a few are misguiding their optimism around the points tally others might get here. If we are sat her thinking we will get x amount of points from our last 10, you can expect the opposition are doing exactly the same. Teams at the bottom will all raise their performance levels over the next 6 weeks to fight relegation. Last weekend’s results proved that.
Lots of 6 pointers to come for all the sides.
On paper we have the best run in. Our big disadvantage is we only have 10 to play. All the others have 1,2,3 or 4 games more to play. Turning that into a possible advantage though because we have no mid week games so should be fresher. Our fitness levels are improving and this could be the key.

Anderson back fit would be huge imo. We need his heading prowess at the back. Galbraith back fit also will make a huge difference. His industry and passing ability will be a massive benefit now we have Griffiths up top.

Bostock although I am not his biggest fan can be used strategically as the game situation requires.
I don’t think we have seen a 100% match fit Bostock yet. If we have then he is either bone idle or his legs have gone.
Not once I don’t think have we had more than a 60 min performance from him.

Since he signed in January when he has started, our record is abysmal. Yes not the only one but those stats don’t lie.
I am not saying he does not have a part to play, just think a 100% fit Galbraith will be much more benefit in the team at present.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on March 01, 2022, 10:53:22 am by GazLaz »

I would rather start with a fit Galbraith. Much more mobile and also can see and execute a pass.

It would be hard to not play both Bostock and Galbraith when fit. Two of our best players this season even when things were abysmally bad.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on March 01, 2022, 10:56:50 am by Campsall rover »

It would be hard to not play both Bostock and Galbraith when fit. Two of our best players this season even when things were abysmally bad.
We will have to see what GM thinks. Assuming he has the luxury of both being match fit at the same time.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on March 01, 2022, 11:49:39 am by Bailey Vickerage »
Bostock not being fully upto speed is down to him not really being able to have a full pre season since being with us, no one in the team was able to have a full pre season this season because everyone had to isolate barring a couple at some point and then last season he joined us in January after not playing for months before joining. With him coming back and the options we will have now in midfield (Bostock, Galbraith, Clayton, Gardner, smith, Rowe) we have options to freshen the midfield after 60-70 mins. He will definitely have a part to play for the final 10 games.

Also Galbraiths decline in performances for the last month or 2 before he got injured was mainly down to him not having Bostock alongside him so he had to play a lot deeper. He gave others around him a lot more freedom and allowed them to get higher up the pitch.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on March 01, 2022, 11:53:23 am by 5minstogo »
We'll see Bostock's quality now we have mobile front players. He reads the game very well but when he's been in possession up to now he's had no real runners in front of him and inevitably played the easy pass. With Reo, Martin and Mipo he's got the option to play balls into space. Bozzy also works very well with Galbraith but to drop Smith would be very harsh. Ditto Tommy, who may end up back at left back.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on March 01, 2022, 12:34:37 pm by roversdude »
“Data Experts” predict 43 points being enough to stop up according to DFP

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on March 01, 2022, 12:55:55 pm by Campsall rover »
“Data Experts” predict 43 points being enough to stop up according to DFP
There is no science to this. So many variables. It will be somewhere between 42 to 48

I am saying 45.  I don’t see it being more than 46 or less than 44. But I know nothing.   :that:

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on March 01, 2022, 01:07:31 pm by roversdude »
Totally agree CR, it could be down to a refereeing decision or a mis kick

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on March 01, 2022, 05:56:11 pm by scawsby steve »

This Rovers team is nowhere near good enough to produce that kind of form.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on March 01, 2022, 05:59:01 pm by Copps is Magic »

Both useless in defense.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on March 01, 2022, 06:20:34 pm by GazLaz »

Both useless in defense.

Bostock averages most interceptions per 90 out of the L1 midfielders. That has to be a positive defensive attribute surely?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on March 01, 2022, 06:40:06 pm by Copps is Magic »
You have access to some better stats than me then.

It would have to be a major shift in our playing style under GM to play Galbraith or Bostock. At the moment, we must be averaging 30% possession a game, with Smith and (usually Gardner) integral to breaking up play, us then hoofing it long, and then somewhere about the 60 minute mark start get it down and play.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on March 01, 2022, 06:47:42 pm by BigH »

I'd like to see Clayton, Bostock and Reo play together. They're used to playing at a higher level and would, hopefully, have a speed of thought and anticipation that could be quite potent at this level. Let's face it, the rest of the team, with the exception of Martin, tend to huff and puff a bit.

Whether they could manage more than half an hour together is another thing.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on March 01, 2022, 06:49:43 pm by GazLaz »

It would have to be a major shift in our playing style under GM to play Galbraith or Bostock. At the moment, we must be averaging 30% possession a game, with Smith and (usually Gardner) integral to breaking up play, us then hoofing it long, and then somewhere about the 60 minute mark start get it down and play.

We need more quality on the ball in games now we are playing the poorer teams. Need to be braver in possession if we are to stay up.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on March 01, 2022, 07:50:03 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
We haven't got the midfield out now to control possession at the moment. We wouldn't play like this with Bostock or Clayton/Close.

Rowe and Smith in midfield are really good workers and Rowe is quality and driving forward but they aren't types to get the ball from defence and recycle possession. Gardener is doing a job he's made us harder to play through but switch him for a fit Bostock or Clayton and we'll retain possession loads better.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on March 04, 2022, 11:52:23 pm by Chris Black come back »
I doubt we are going to get 90mins out of either Clayton or Bostock this season. If they play, we probably have to sub one for the other. You can get 90mins from Smith, Rowe and Galbraith, not those two though.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on March 05, 2022, 12:11:10 am by Sammy Chung was King »
We do need to keep the ball better, the team is just giving back possession. They are getting results through doggedness not really quality. Bostock is class at this level if he has movement to hit.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on March 05, 2022, 07:45:10 am by colincramb »

We need more quality on the ball in games now we are playing the poorer teams. Need to be braver in possession if we are to stay up.

100% agree Gaz. We cannot go through the last 10 games averaging 30% possession and taking sustained, large periods of pressure and expect to win games. Generally, if a team has 60-70% of the ball they tend to win.

Look at Wimbledon last week. When we actually started getting the ball on the grass and thought about what we are doing we nearly ended up winning the game. I know GM is trying to scrap for points and when you are in our position it becomes solely about results, but the style of play isn’t pretty on the eye. Whatever league we end up in next season, I hope aimless hoofball isn’t our plan going forward.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on March 05, 2022, 11:04:23 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Lots of 6 pointers to come for all the sides.
On paper we have the best run in. Our big disadvantage is we only have 10 to play. All the others have 1,2,3 or 4 games more to play. Turning that into a possible advantage though because we have no mid week games so should be fresher. Our fitness levels are improving and this could be the key.

Anderson back fit would be huge imo. We need his heading prowess at the back. Galbraith back fit also will make a huge difference. His industry and passing ability will be a massive benefit now we have Griffiths up top.

Bostock although I am not his biggest fan can be used strategically as the game situation requires.
I don’t think we have seen a 100% match fit Bostock yet. If we have then he is either bone idle or his legs have gone.
Not once I don’t think have we had more than a 60 min performance from him.

Since he signed in January when he has started, our record is abysmal. Yes not the only one but those stats don’t lie.
I am not saying he does not have a part to play, just think a 100% fit Galbraith will be much more benefit in the team at present.

We will never see a 100% match fit Bostock.

He's a talented lad, but there's a reason he's plying his trade at the bottom of Division 3.

I said it right back at the start of the season. When the players do the shuttle runs between cones at the end of half time, they all do it seriously. Except one player who ambles between them. Guess who...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 12:25:50 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on March 05, 2022, 12:20:36 pm by drfchound »
That reminds me of being a kid and reading the comics.
I think it was the Beano that had an ongoing story about a kids football team and in it was a kid who never ran after the ball unless he knew he could make something happen when he got it.
When he did get it though it often led to a goal being scored or a chance created.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on March 05, 2022, 01:16:45 pm by les@donr »
Re: 20 points from last 10 games - doable!

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on March 05, 2022, 03:43:12 pm by Upton Rover »
Any hope of staying up is slipping away this afternoon at Cheltenham

TinyPortal © 2005-2012