Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 11:44:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Greatest Moment In Rovers History  (Read 2619 times)

tyke1962

• Forum Member
Greatest Moment In Rovers History
« on March 13, 2022, 07:29:26 pm by tyke1962 »
It's a bit miserable on here understandably so I bring some cheer of happier times .

What is your best moment as a Rovers fan whilst you've supported your club ?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
Re: Greatest Moment In Rovers History
« Reply #1 on March 13, 2022, 07:36:25 pm by turnbull for england »
Has to be Wembley. Never been our rivals in a football sense but After a Lifetime of pisstaking from the lazy Leeds fans to actually have that moment, was so sweet I almost went diabetic

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 13, 2022, 07:54:46 pm by wilts rover »
Other than beating Leeds United in our only ever game at Wembley - I'll have a think...

Haxey-Hood-DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 13, 2022, 07:56:15 pm by Haxey-Hood-DRFC »
Have to agree. Wembley tops the lot. But winning the first game 1-0 at Derby when winning promotion to the Championship with an away support in excess of 4k (I think) was special too. Then, of course, there was the heart-stopping legendary last-minute heroics to win promotion to the Championship at Brentford. We've had some great times over the last 15 years, but they seem so far away now. Thanks for lifting the mood though Tyke.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 13, 2022, 07:57:46 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
It came to absolutely nothing but Andy Butler heading in the equaliser at Charlton in the play offs is up there for me.

Clutching at straws a bit but by christ I enjoyed it.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 13, 2022, 08:12:42 pm by Goole Rover »
It's a bit miserable on here understandably so I bring some cheer of happier times .

Winning 5-1 at Oakwell on a very wet Friday night after twagging my last lecture at Donny Tech., My employer docked me two hours pay.
Sorry Tyke couldn’t resist.

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 13, 2022, 08:14:18 pm by Lincoln Rover »
We’ve moved on from being a truly joke team in The Conference & just dreamt of getting back in the EFL. That day at Stoke & that golden goal went  in, cue the tears.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 13, 2022, 08:17:48 pm by tyke1962 »

Winning 5-1 at Oakwell on a very wet Friday night after twagging my last lecture at Donny Tech., My employer docked me two hours pay.

It's an absolute honour to be so far up your back catalogue Goole .

colfromdonny

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 13, 2022, 08:17:58 pm by colfromdonny »
Definitely Stoke................by a country mile.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 13, 2022, 08:36:39 pm by tyke1962 »
I'm actually filling up as I post .

My old man said he'd never go to Wembley unless we were playing .

For more years than I care to remember I thought " good luck with that "

In May 2000 I walked up Wembley Way with my old man for the championship play off final v Ipswich Town .

It was a disastrous day with how that day played out for my club going forward .

None the less to make that walk up to Wembley stadium with my old man was priceless .

He could hardly believe it .

He passed a few years on from that day but it remains the best moment we ever shared together .

We didn't always see eye to eye but we had that .

A bit deep I know but football is remarkable at times .

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 13, 2022, 08:40:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
We’ve moved on from being a truly joke team in The Conference & just dreamt of getting back in the EFL. That day at Stoke & that golden goal went  in, cue the tears.

This.

Nothing will or could ever top that. Not Wembley, not Brentford. Not even winning the Champions League.

Unless you've had your club taken from you and killed, you can't understand what it is like to come back.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 13, 2022, 08:44:19 pm by Filo »
1) Wembley beating Leeds
2) Stoke and getting back into the EFL
3) Beating QPR in the FA cup at BV
4) Cardiff and winning the JPT
5) Winning the non League Trophy at BV where some were locked out of the ground

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 13, 2022, 08:56:26 pm by Campsall rover »
No 1. Play off Final v Leeds at Wembley

No 2. Play off final v Dagenham & Redbridge at Stoke. ( Just simply due to the sheer importance of getting back to the Football League. )

No 3. JPT Final v Bristol Rovers at Cardiff

No 4. Brentford. Drama of last second winner to become Champions.

No 5. The penalty shoot out v Chester in 2nd leg of Conference semi final.
The most nerve racking penalty shoot out and the importance of it.

Sorry to but going to post 5 more games, every one of those were very special in my time watching our great Club since my 1st Rovers game in November 1975 v Reading in League Div 4 and yes that would be my No 11.

We seem a long way off re creating any of those at the present time.
Just hope it is not too long before we get back to seeing Rovers play some really big games like those above.

The memories keep flowing So here are no 6,7,8,9 & 10

No 6. The League cup win v Hull City in late Nov 1975 that took Rovers to their 1st ever Cup Qtr Final in front of 21,000 at Belle Vue.

No 7. The drama & the heart break of the League Cup Qtr Final v Arsenal in Dec 2005

No 8. League Cup win v Aston Villa 2005

No 9. Everton at Goodison in FA Cup 4th round Jan 1985  master class from Ian Snodin. He ended up at Everton not long after.

No 10. Huddersfield Town in 1st ever game at the Keepmoat. Jan 1st 2007
A carnival atmosphere and start of new era for the club.

So many great days.
Forest 4-2 win in Dec 2008 which turned our season round.
Southend in play off Semi Final, Copps hat trick.
Last ever game at Belle Vue v Forest.
7-5 win v Reading in Sept 1982
I could go on and on.

I have,  apologies. 

Let’s remember the good times and I am sure they will come again.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 13, 2022, 09:06:57 pm by graingrover »

This.

Nothing will or could ever top that. Not Wembley, not Brentford. Not even winning the Champions League.

Unless you've had your club taken from you and killed, you can't understand what it is like to come back.
And I was sitting right next to you .

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 13, 2022, 09:30:12 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

This.

And I was sitting right next to you .

You were. Apologies for the language and the chain smoking.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 13, 2022, 09:39:32 pm by Branton Rover »
1) Wembley
2) Stoke
3) Brentford
4) Cardiff
5) Chester 2nd leg playoff
6) Tris Whitman goal in the 92nd minute playoff first leg
7) Beating Derby 1st game 2nd tier in 50 years
8) FA Youth cup run in the 80’s

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 13, 2022, 09:45:42 pm by tyke1962 »
It's never about the quality of the prize in my opinion it's about what it means to you personally .

Every club has had one moment in time that we feed off if we are lucky enough to witness it .

It doesn't have to be the winning goal in the champions league final because we know what we are .

This is the thing that other let's say other supporters don't get .

When Connor Houriane lifted the JPT trophy at Wembley in 2016 it meant just as much to me as any major trophy anybody has ever lifted .

The value of it to me is neither here nor there with how the game judges these things .

One moment in time can also be more valuable than repeat trophies in my opinion .

Not that I'll ever know of course mind .

Petche

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 13, 2022, 10:06:27 pm by Petche »
For me I think it was when Tris Whitman scored that last gasp equaliser in the playoffs against Chester! Never seen Belle Vue erupt like that before!
That was the trigger for arguably the greatest decade in our history.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 14, 2022, 12:18:56 am by BillyStubbsTears »
For me I think it was when Tris Whitman scored that last gasp equaliser in the playoffs against Chester! Never seen Belle Vue erupt like that before!
That was the trigger for arguably the greatest decade in our history.

Even moreso that fingertip save by Andy Warrington from Dave Cameron's shot in the dying moments of the second leg.

That was my Manchester Free Trade Hall moment. If you were there, the world stopped for a moment and history changed.

richtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 14, 2022, 12:26:08 am by richtherover »

My first away game

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 14, 2022, 05:06:41 am by Donnywolf »

This.

That for me too ... I personally rank it higher than Leeds P Off game but as someone posted as well it is a simple personal choice

.... Oh and of course Sir F T s goal at Stoke was officially a Promotion Goal as per Programme Page 3. Someone is going to have to take over my crusade to keep that bit of history "correct" when I have given up posting lol
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 07:33:58 am by Donnywolf »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 14, 2022, 06:14:23 am by Donnywolf »

It's an absolute honour to be so far up your back catalogue Goole .

Pencil me in too Tyke ... Made much sweeter as I met my Twin cousins from "Grimy" and we watched game together

Great result for us ... but as I have posted on here before we had a special train and there were battles as we tried to get back to Station and hot light bulbs flying  from train as it passed through crossings  !

Ah those were the days (NOT)

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 14, 2022, 07:19:55 am by LincsRover »
I can’t disagree with any of these, the importance of the win at the Britannia stadium, the joy of beating Leeds at Wembley, the utter disbelief at Brentford & that last second winner, the day out in Cardiff - all great days.

But for pure emotion and a moment that still brings a tear to my eye (go on then, a torrent of tears if I’m honest!) was the moment Billy Sharp scored that worldy goal against Middlesbrough days after his newborn son Louis had passed away, lift his shirt & reveal his t-shirt with the words “That’s for you son!”. We ended up losing the game but for me that moment transcended football & put watching a match & supporting your team into perspective.

To say I’m a cynical, grumpy old git is an understatement but I’m filling up just writing this - such an amazing moment. I even have a wonderful print of the painting by tiddysdad on my office wall in pride of place & it brings back the memories of that evening. Go Billy!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 08:02:43 am by LincsRover »

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 14, 2022, 07:29:21 am by normal rules »
Can’t argue with all those posted so far. All i’d agree with.
Whilst beating Leeds at Wembley was legendary, I’m surprised beating Leeds at Elland road has not featured. We had the whole of the South Stand too, which is not something that happens there anymore. A very special day.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on March 14, 2022, 07:31:25 am by Donnywolf »
LincsRover .... are you in Super6 ?

If yes you could win this !

Agree - emotional iconic moment
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 09:37:33 am by Donnywolf »

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 14, 2022, 08:03:20 am by turnbull for england »

This.

That for me too ... I personally rank it higher than Leeds P Off game but as someone posted as well it is a simple personal choice

.... Oh and of course Sir F T s goal at Stoke was officially a Promotion Goal as per Programme Page 3. Someone is going to have to take over my crusade to keep that bit of history "correct" when I have given up posting lol

Just had a look where Chester are now must admit to being suprised as to how many "names" are in that league now . Does make you think what might have been

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 14, 2022, 08:26:43 am by donnievic »
1.stoke (getting back in league)
2.beating Leeds at Wembley
3.brentford
4.Charlton play off (so close yet so far)
5.Chester (play off penalty win)
6.JPT win in Cardiff

Other smaller ones of note
Away win 2-1 at Mansfield
Derby away 1-0
Scunny away 5-0
Winning 3-0 at fleetwood this week!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 08:29:18 am by donnievic »

essexrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 14, 2022, 02:45:19 pm by essexrover »
Sir Francis !
The importance of that win cannot be underestimated. We might have been a  non league side for years afterwards (or even still now) if we hadn't won that day.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on March 14, 2022, 04:32:27 pm by Draytonian III »
My thoughts exactly ^^^^

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 14, 2022, 04:39:27 pm by keyser_soze »
Stoke for me and all the fans singing Are You Watching Richardson as DRFC lifted the trophy. I started watching Rovers at such at time of mediocrity in Div 3 that the closest I'd got to seeing anything like DRFC winning a cup at a neutral ground was the Conference Cup win against Farnborough (and the Sheffield County Cup was it, at Hillsborough?).  So many wrongs were reset on that day. All the more sweeter after we'd blown a 2-0 lead and won it instantly with the Promotion Goal. That must have been pretty tough to take for the Daggers lot.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012