Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 09:34:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Copps interview  (Read 2419 times)

Batleyred

• Forum Member
Copps interview
« on April 24, 2022, 08:08:21 pm by Batleyred »
Now on ifollow. Great listen as well.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Dav

• Forum Member
Re: Copps interview
« Reply #2 on April 24, 2022, 08:35:46 pm by The Dav »
I really hope he can be successful in this role, good luck Copps

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 24, 2022, 08:46:16 pm by keith79 »
Copps will be successful of that I have not doubt. 100% a rover. Just like everyone on here.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 24, 2022, 09:04:34 pm by Campsall rover »
Great interview.
He has got me thinking he might just be the man for this job after all.

His love for the club, enthusiasm and determination shines through in that interview.

He says this is the role he has been working towards. He has been doing his homework on what it will entail with visits to Norwich and Huddersfield which are two very well run clubs, so great examples for him to use at Rovers.

Having listened to him i now feel much more confident for the future.

Good luck Copps I am sure 95% of the supporter base will be right behind you in no time at all.
Let’s get that recruitment right this summer get off to a fast start next season and most of the dissenting voices will disappear.

This could be the start of a new positive era for the club.
In fact my gut feeling says it will definately be just that.  :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 08:13:01 am by Campsall rover »

BradwellRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 24, 2022, 09:25:51 pm by BradwellRover »
Fingers crossed it works and is the beginning of some good times.

I’m hoping the summer break and some positive signings mean that we can all return with renewed optimism for a promotion charge.

talksbollox

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 24, 2022, 09:48:47 pm by talksbollox »
A nothing interview really, lots of sound bites and gave nothing specific away in terms of what he thinks is wrong with the club and what he intends to do about it. Just all generalisations.

If I could ask one question it would be ‘what are the first 5 actions you’re going to take in your new role’?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 24, 2022, 10:19:04 pm by selby »
  At least your handle suits your persona. He would probably answer the five questions with bollox just to make you happy.

Daniel_Smith

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 25, 2022, 01:36:59 am by Daniel_Smith »
I wish him all the luck in the world - however his interview doesn't sound any different to that of McSheffrey's when he became permanent manager.

The majority of comments mirror what was said when McSheffrey was appointed too.

Call me a pessimist, but I can't get onboard with all this blind optimism.

We've been burnt too many times before recently.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 25, 2022, 08:10:41 am by Campsall rover »
A nothing interview really, lots of sound bites and gave nothing specific away in terms of what he thinks is wrong with the club and what he intends to do about it. Just all generalisations.

If I could ask one question it would be ‘what are the first 5 actions you’re going to take in your new role’?
Good grief.  :headbang:

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 25, 2022, 08:25:57 am by DonnyOsmond »

Were you expecting him to come out and say "The physios doing a shit job, I'll sack him"?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 25, 2022, 08:33:52 am by roversdude »
I honestly don’t think Copps would have taken on this role without assurances that he has the authority to make changes - why else would he take on a role, I imagine Copps is financially secure, he certainly doesn’t need to risk his reputation so it’s to make genuine changes.
Please give him a chance guys

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 25, 2022, 08:49:15 am by steve@dcfd »
The final word on the financing of contracts and recruitment ie the playing budget still stops with Blunt. Let’s hope we can get the right level of player we need. I don’t want Copps and McSheffrey accepting second or third best if we are going to challenge next season.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 25, 2022, 08:57:31 am by DonnyOsmond »
The final word on the financing of contracts and recruitment ie the playing budget still stops with Blunt. Let’s hope we can get the right level of player we need. I don’t want Copps and McSheffrey accepting second or third best if we are going to challenge next season.

The size of the budget should come from the chairman but deciding on whether that budgets spent by throwing £200K at a player from Accrington instead of only being able to sign free agents should be decided by the HOFO, otherwise we're just doing the same as we have done for years.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 25, 2022, 10:26:15 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
The second part of the interview gave us a bit more insight and as said above, it sounds like he has a vision and is determined to raise standards and shape a culture at the club that encourages excellence.

Of course, whilst not being specific about his 'actions' I'm not sure what we should expect to be for public consumption.

I'm pretty sure Copps will be the one determining the direction of the recruitment policy with the head coach,  and how the budget is spent. Of course he'll report to the board regularly but if he believes there's a case for 'over and above' spending, he'll make a peruasive case to justify it.

I'm sure we all have plenty of questions we'd like to ask James.

I wonder on the recruitment side, when we're trying to attract players to sign, once we've got past the initial contacts, who as a player would you want to be speaking to? The HOF or the Head Coach or both?

I would also like to ask James 'How should you be judged?'

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 25, 2022, 11:42:20 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Always makes me think of Barry Fry at Peterborough. He has his own way of going about things that's for sure!

https://youtu.be/26Z5_yeYC6g

Perhaps he's toned things down a bit over time. Interesting insight from a DOF point of view about January's transfer window and just how easy it is (not)

https://youtu.be/hGV9odtfEWk

https://youtu.be/gB2UcoIGUlM

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 25, 2022, 01:22:24 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
We need to be looking at players we can develop then allow to go for a good fee. Get bits of experience around them, then you have a chance of doing well.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 25, 2022, 01:29:09 pm by Jonathan »

Well you can’t, so get yourself f**ked off.

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 25, 2022, 01:39:59 pm by BVB »
I wish him all the luck in the world - however his interview doesn't sound any different to that of McSheffrey's when he became permanent manager.

The majority of comments mirror what was said when McSheffrey was appointed too.

Call me a pessimist, but I can't get onboard with all this blind optimism.

We've been burnt too many times before recently.

Pessimist.
There you go  :thumbsup:

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 25, 2022, 02:37:01 pm by DRCraig »
Absolute LEGEND. We will never have another one like him at DRFC.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 25, 2022, 05:10:26 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
In the interview he talks of time he spent with Leigh Bromby at Huddersfield.

For those interested, I think the following interview with Leigh is very informative. 36 mins long but very much worth a listen.

https://youtu.be/SiJgDzdTVQs

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 25, 2022, 05:29:56 pm by ForsolongaRover »
What comes through strongly is his intention to effect change to improve the club’s organisation and coordination and the need to sustain the chosen strategy. The implication is that a lot of things have been unsuccessfully tried recently which have not worked.

The fact that he has studied the set-ups at two seemingly well-run and well supported clubs that have things in common with Rovers at Huddersfield and Norwich will perhaps have provided him with an outside perspective which appeared to be lacking.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 25, 2022, 06:30:53 pm by GazLaz »
In the interview he talks of time he spent with Leigh Bromby at Huddersfield.

For those interested, I think the following interview with Leigh is very informative. 36 mins long but very much worth a listen.

https://youtu.be/SiJgDzdTVQs

I’d be quite keen to add that the good stuff in place at Huddersfield was implemented before LB got that job.

Being the first incumbent of a role like this at a club is a monumental undertaking if you really want to make lasting change. Hopefully the interviews become semi regular so we can get a gauge of what is happening. There’s nothing to be taken away from the first interview, probably fairly understandably. Hopefully one at the start of preseason will paint a potential picture of what the future could look like.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012