Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:22:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers In the Race For Alfie May  (Read 5528 times)

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
Re: Rovers In the Race For Alfie May
« Reply #60 on May 14, 2022, 09:31:37 am by Reg of the Rovers »
I understand why there’s some debate about May, for me there was enough potential and effort to deserve a place in our squad but can understand why others expected more immediate impact. The issue for me is that Moore let him go and we ended up with young untried mostly-disinterested loans with no short or long-term benefit over keeping Alfie.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on May 14, 2022, 09:40:31 am by Bentley Bullet »
3 YEARS - 10 FULL LEAGUE GAMES!
BB are those 10 full games also the only starts he made in games? I doubt that very much.
How many starts he made as that is a fairer reflection imo.
How many matches did he start a game. Do you know BB?
If he got subbed then maybe that was because he was ineffective or a tactical substitution.

He was given 29 starts. In 19 of them, he was replaced. He was never replaced because of performance issues. He never had a bad game for us. There was never any obvious reason for him being replaced, although it was obvious he was likely to be one who would be replaced .....And he was in two-thirds of the games he started for us!

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on May 14, 2022, 09:41:29 am by ravenrover »
The difference is Cheltenham play him as a striker, we stuck out wide.
I'm with BB on this one

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on May 14, 2022, 09:47:49 am by idler »
But three different managers who played at a professional level couldn't maximise his potential. They saw him in training regularly as well as in games and didn't feel he was an automatic choice. There is no chance he would have scored a lot of goals for us last season with our side and set up. Good luck to him and I hope that he has another good season coming up but it will be interesting to see if he can maintain his form.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on May 14, 2022, 10:18:55 am by NickDRFC »
It’s great to see Alfie linked with these sides and I hope his career continues to go from strength to strength. But he’s had an average season and a half in League Two followed by an exceptional season in League One. This season has ended with a crazy purple patch of 17 in 18, but before that he’d scored only 6 in 28. It might be that this form continues (and I genuinely hope that it does), but equally it might just be a run of form where the stars aligned for him and his record will revert to the modest returns he’s had in his career to date. He clearly has some big fans on this forum but I think some of the deification is completely over the top.

As for him never having a bad game for us and being unfairly substituted every time, really? He certainly had plenty of ineffective games. Whether that was down to him not getting a run of games or playing out of position is open to debate, and probably has some truth to it, but I don’t recall howls of derision in the stands any time he was substituted off after another 70 minutes of hard work but little effective contribution.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on May 14, 2022, 10:43:47 am by Bentley Bullet »
When you start a game and there is a 2 in 3 chance you are going to be replaced it tends to affect your performance somewhat, especially if you're a striker. It causes performance anxiety and tends to make the player try too hard, often meaning they make wrong decisions. When that type of player is alongside a team-mate who was only replaced 5 times in 136 games the pressure must be even worse.

Despite that, I think May did excellent for us when he was on the pitch, and it just goes to show how good he actually could have been for us had he not been made a scapegoat 66% of the time.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on May 14, 2022, 11:51:11 am by drfchound »
It's because you are being a silly billy hound, the forum shitster. I assumed that bb could speak for himself, you appear to know better.

Of course BB can speak from r himself Syd but this is a forum and other people can join in conversations if they choose to.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on May 14, 2022, 11:52:57 am by SydneyRover »
It's because you are being a silly billy hound, the forum shitster. I assumed that bb could speak for himself, you appear to know better.

Of course BB can speak from r himself Syd but this is a forum and other people can join in conversations if they choose to.

And that is exactly what I'm doing, no?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on May 14, 2022, 12:09:09 pm by drfchound »

Yes of course but you were trying to discredit BBS point about Alfie May getting game time by showing that wiki said he had 92 appearances.
I asked you if you understood that those included sub appearances and then you called me a w**ker and a shyster.
It was a typical intervention by you and I called you out for being abusive.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on May 14, 2022, 12:33:43 pm by selby »
  Syd, when it comes to Knowledge of football and the ability to play the game, believe me you are Hounds bunny.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on May 14, 2022, 01:08:11 pm by SydneyRover »
but selby you are everyone's little bunny

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on May 14, 2022, 01:11:24 pm by SydneyRover »

Yes of course but you were trying to discredit BBS point about Alfie May getting game time by showing that wiki said he had 92 appearances.
I asked you if you understood that those included sub appearances and then you called me a w**ker and a shyster.

I'm forgetting myself hound apologies you are always correct 24996

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on May 14, 2022, 04:14:58 pm by drfchound »

Classic cop out.
Your uncalled for abuse is there for all to see.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on May 14, 2022, 04:21:54 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Guys, guys! Not unlike the Fawlty Towers staff who used to excuse Manuel for his silliness with the "he's from Barcelona" comment, Let's just give our (not so) resident pain in the arse the same benefit and just say "he's from Sydney," every time he "contributes" to threads.

The thing is, I just knew he'd comment negatively on my post. He always does.

Adelaide money on it!

Thanks for your support Hound, by the way.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 04:28:19 pm by Bentley Bullet »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on May 14, 2022, 04:36:34 pm by selby »
Nah. Syd I am a fisherman who keeps catching tiddlers, don't even have to carry any bait to the bank, just chuck the hook in, sticklebacks a speciality.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on May 14, 2022, 07:38:24 pm by SydneyRover »
Nah. Syd I am a fisherman who keeps catching tiddlers, don't even have to carry any bait to the bank, just chuck the hook in, sticklebacks a speciality.

remind me again how the logic works, you cut your own grass therefore you must be right?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on May 14, 2022, 07:42:58 pm by SydneyRover »

Classic cop out.

I'm just glad that you two have patched things up and he's looking after you, it's the love bro'

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on May 14, 2022, 08:42:48 pm by drfchound »

Classic cop out.

#at the last word is yours.   :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm just glad that you two have patched things up and he's looking after you, it's the love bro'

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on May 14, 2022, 09:00:25 pm by SydneyRover »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012