Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:22:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: JR stirring it  (Read 12431 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: JR stirring it
« Reply #60 on May 16, 2022, 01:06:49 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Just to point out that John gave the managers job to Ian Snodin, Steve Wignall and Paul Dickov and put Willie Mackay in charge of picking half the team. Wilst appointing Sean O'Driscoll he also sacked him - and Dave Penney.

John was fantastic for DRFC, and it is not exaggeration to say without him there would not be a DRFC, certainly not in the form we have seen it for the past 20 years. He was fantastic for the club, but he wasn't infallible.

Thanks for the memories John, enjoy your time as a fan and leave the running of the club to the people who run the club.

So, he's not entitled to his opinion then?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on May 16, 2022, 01:21:35 pm by Chris Black come back »
It’s not the current budget that it is the issue, it is the appalling way that it has been used.

We have / had an excellent budget to deliver very comfortable survival in League One. Somehow we managed to waste this on underperforming players with zero resale value.

Getting out of League One is a different question but 9/10 of where we are today is because our budget has been totally wasted, not because the budget itself was so bad.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on May 16, 2022, 01:23:24 pm by roversdude »
Remind me again how much Brentford will be getting next season, bfyp?

Brilliant if you are guaranteed a seat at the top table, unfortunately only 20 clubs per year are. Barnsley and Bradford didn’t too well from their time in the sun.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on May 16, 2022, 01:39:01 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Barnsley are still higher than us and Bradford are at the same level.

Fal

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on May 16, 2022, 01:39:10 pm by Fal »
As pissed off as we were with JR's experiment of free agents?

Christ Glyn, you sound fun at parties. Everything and anything you have an issue with unless it meets your belief.

Anyhow, I had two thoughts on the experiment, firstly that I was seeing players that never in a million years would anyone have said they would play for Doncaster Rovers, el Hadji diouf being one, yes he had a bad attitude but was a damn good footballer and in some cases he was a pleasure to watch. That for me I was excited to see….

However, on the flip side as was quite rightly pointed out, these players didn’t care for the club and spoilt the team morale which sadly ended up with us getting relegated and that is something that we don’t want to see at the club.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on May 16, 2022, 01:39:27 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think people are confusing sniping and stirring with genuine frustration and anger. He put 15 years of hard work and millions of pounds into the club before stepping down believing the club was in better hands to push forward.

Citing ill health as a reason for his rant is also a fairly low shot.

I haven't seen anyone citing ill health as the reason for his 'rant'.

I've not heard his interview so wouldn't know if it's a rant or a general observation of the clubs fortunes.

We're all entitled to express our opinions about it.

Unfortunately, whenever JR is mentioned it always tends to bring out an element of sniping at the current Board and when their opinions are challenged, it seems taken as a swipe at JR.

I stuck up for JR many times when he was unfairly criticised when he was at the helm and I do the same when I see unfair criticism now.

I'm sure we all would have been happier if JR hadn't have come to the end of his wherewithal to continue with TB & DW. JR is human and just as anyone else who has to make big decisions, didn't always get it right but, he rightly had lots of credit in the bank before things went tits up.

Everyone has to be adult enough to accept the current regime were never going to act the same as JR but they deserve equal respect for their continued support of the club. It's easy to say things would have been better but real life isn't like that. JR would have also have had to make some difficult decisions. Hard financial decisions which I have no doubt, some fans wouldn't have liked either.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on May 16, 2022, 01:49:54 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Lots indeed.  But if you want to be Brentford how many clubs can risk a £41.5m wage budget. Is that seriously what you'd want us to do?

To add to that Bournemouth had a wage bill of £58m that year and didn't get promoted. In the premier League their wage bill was over £100m. They probably spent not far off on wages in a week what we spend in a year. Staggering figures.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 01:52:07 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on May 16, 2022, 01:55:13 pm by drfchound »

Lots indeed.  But if you want to be Brentford how many clubs can risk a £41.5m wage budget. Is that seriously what you'd want us to do?

To add to that Bournemouth had a wage bill of £58m that year and didn't get promoted. In the premier League their wage bill was over £100m. They probably spent not far off on wages in a week what we spend in a year. Staggering figures.

I’ve lost track of how much money that PL clubs get from sky these days, is it around £160m.
If it is then I think a wage bill of £41.5m isn’t too extreme.
I wouldn’t be too concerned if Rovers were in their position.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 02:00:45 pm by drfchound »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on May 16, 2022, 02:31:13 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Our owner has the money he chooses only to spend through Club Doncaster what is required to help us be self sufficient.
Like BB has said whether we have reached that level we will see next season.
It’s up to him what he does with his money not me and he will never spend like other clubs to put us in danger so why people keep saying it to make a point is wrong.

How the he'll do you know what his net wealth is tied up in and has the ready cash to put in should he choose to do so?

JR couldn't afford to carry on and be self sustaining yet. Obviously for him it wasn't sustainable yet, TB doesn't seem to get much credit for maintaining the sustainability of the club and putting in far more than JR did. .

And this baloney about Brentford and Bournemouth. Don't make me laugh. They were lucky that they were chosen by Billionaires who were prepared to gamble in a massive way considering the level of support for each club respectively.  It's a complete false economy and their success has nothing to do with how many supporters they can draw through the turnstiles and isn't a real representation of their history, their struggles and the community the football club supposed to represent.

Until such time someone else comes along, the club has to continue where the money that you and I put in matters. Just as it did during JRs tenure.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on May 16, 2022, 02:33:48 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

I’ve lost track of how much money that PL clubs get from sky these days, is it around £160m.

Would you be worried in Derby's position to name but one?:

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on May 16, 2022, 02:45:30 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

All well and good but say that takes 3 years to gain promotion. You've a £25-30m a year cash gap to bridge.  Assume 4-5% interest on that debt adds another £1.5m ish.  Over 3 seasons that's £100m in cash and that's assuming break even on transfer fees.  Even then you may not make it (these numbers not far off what Sheffield Wednesday were relegated with).

So to have a go, do you know anyone with a spare £100m+ to gamble?

You're also not getting that money back ever, promotion is fine but as In Bournemouth's place that £100m needs to be spent to even have a sniff.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on May 16, 2022, 02:46:09 pm by steve@dcfd »

Baz we won’t that’s the point I’m making our owner will not risk spending that money and that’s his choice but using teams like Derby to make a point is wrong we would never be in that position with the current owner.

My concern is not all based round money. But our Chairman says we will bounce back decisively now is that based on his knowledge of the transfer market and funds required or is he relying on GMC and Copps to bring in players that will get us back to league one with the funds we have left after the 16+ players that are already contracted.  I’m not sure I have the confidence that we can do that. We will see the level of player we bring in. But saying we will overspend that will definitely won’t happen.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on May 16, 2022, 02:58:05 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Let's not forget Bramall and Watson were both on the board during "The Experiment". It didn't solely come from Ryan.

But everybody says they ain't 'football men' so it couldn't possibly have come from them, could it?

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on May 16, 2022, 03:16:12 pm by pib »

Let's not forget Bramall and Watson were both on the board during "The Experiment". It didn't solely come from Ryan.

But everybody says they ain't 'football men' so it couldn't possibly have come from them, could it?

Don't think that was levelled at Watson. Plus I think you know that statement is nonsense.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on May 16, 2022, 03:25:14 pm by drfc1951 »
I might be wrong, but didnt Watson and Bramall both step back from the board during that period.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on May 16, 2022, 03:33:23 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Genuine question. How many teams are below Rovers in the league ladder, or have gone bust as a result of overspending compared to how many teams are below us, or have gone bust as a result of underspending?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on May 16, 2022, 03:35:42 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Don't think that was levelled at Watson. Plus I think you know that statement is nonsense.

Dick Watson was Rovers through and through.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on May 16, 2022, 03:41:11 pm by colincramb »
He’s fundamentally right. You have to invest in the squad to be successful. That’s the bottom line really. It’s something we’ve failed to do in recent seasons. For example, everyone knew we needed a decent striker before the start of last season - it was even more obvious in January. We just never acted and subsequently find ourselves in league 2.

Still obviously carries a lot of passion for the club and I can understand his frustration when he sees the hard work being slowly ebbed away, largely due to some very poor decision making

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on May 16, 2022, 03:45:44 pm by pib »
I might be wrong, but didnt Watson and Bramall both step back from the board during that period.

Not until a few months after the experiment had already been started.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on May 16, 2022, 03:50:33 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Time's not kind is it. That's hard to watch. I hope he's not as ill as he appears.

Surrey Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on May 16, 2022, 03:51:46 pm by Surrey Rover »
Anybody who is old enough to remember the seventies will recall the club constantly selling their best players and replacing them with mediocrity. The club has started to reflect that model in recent times and the next twelve months will confirm one way or the other if that is the path it’s happy to tread.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on May 16, 2022, 04:10:33 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

They did. The Experiment was supposed to bring us top notch players at knockdown cost. What we actually got was mostly a crock of uncommitted shite with the wage bill going up 50%.

My guess was, when they realised where things were heading financially, Bramall and Watson told Ryan it was his problem. That's just an educated guess. I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall at board meetings around that time.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on May 16, 2022, 04:17:22 pm by wilts rover »
Just to point out that John gave the managers job to Ian Snodin, Steve Wignall and Paul Dickov and put Willie Mackay in charge of picking half the team. Wilst appointing Sean O'Driscoll he also sacked him - and Dave Penney.

John was fantastic for DRFC, and it is not exaggeration to say without him there would not be a DRFC, certainly not in the form we have seen it for the past 20 years. He was fantastic for the club, but he wasn't infallible.

Thanks for the memories John, enjoy your time as a fan and leave the running of the club to the people who run the club.

If memory serves me correctly he was never than keen on people outside the club telling him how to run it.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on May 16, 2022, 04:27:35 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Christ Glyn, you sound fun at parties. Everything and anything you have an issue with unless it meets your belief.

Anyhow, I had two thoughts on the experiment, firstly that I was seeing players that never in a million years would anyone have said they would play for Doncaster Rovers, el Hadji diouf being one, yes he had a bad attitude but was a damn good footballer and in some cases he was a pleasure to watch. That for me I was excited to see….

However, on the flip side as was quite rightly pointed out, these players didn’t care for the club and spoilt the team morale which sadly ended up with us getting relegated and that is something that we don’t want to see at the club.

Were you watching the same experiment I was? El Hadji Diouf was the only one of them who DIDN'T have a bad attitude.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on May 16, 2022, 04:36:28 pm by Bentley Bullet »

If memory serves me correctly he was never than keen on people outside the club telling him how to run it.
Are you suggesting that he told TB how to run the club after he left?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on May 16, 2022, 04:51:09 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Baz we won’t that’s the point I’m making our owner will not risk spending that money and that’s his choice but using teams like Derby to make a point is wrong we would never be in that position with the current owner.

My concern is not all based round money. But our Chairman says we will bounce back decisively now is that based on his knowledge of the transfer market and funds required or is he relying on GMC and Copps to bring in players that will get us back to league one with the funds we have left after the 16+ players that are already contracted.  I’m not sure I have the confidence that we can do that. We will see the level of player we bring in. But saying we will overspend that will definitely won’t happen.

Appreciate that Steve, my reference to Derby was in response to hounds about wages v PL income etc.

The trouble is, football fans rarely know how sustainable their clubs are until it all comes crashing down.

Understandable with our relegation that fans will have limited confidence we will bounce straight back.

It will take a number of positive steps to rebuild that confidence.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on May 16, 2022, 05:25:06 pm by grayx »
He was brilliant for us but I struggle to listen to him nowadays as he spends more time patting himself on the back then any fan.
Unfortunately, thats very true.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on May 16, 2022, 05:47:44 pm by Alan Southstand »
DBR, with all due respect, you’re missing the point I was trying to make. In the same way you don’t like references to Brentford, I don’t like references to Scunny, Bury, etc. because it suits whatever agendas people want to push.

My overriding concern though, is, if we’re a well run Club and everything is ticketyboo, why are we in such a mess? Maybe we will get back on track, who knows!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on May 16, 2022, 06:10:28 pm by wilts rover »

Are you suggesting that he told TB how to run the club after he left?

No, I am answering your question about his entitlement to an opinion. Why do you think this refers to TB?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on May 16, 2022, 06:12:42 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Who does it refer to then?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012