Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:04:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Mcsheffrey  (Read 4127 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Mcsheffrey
« Reply #30 on April 18, 2022, 06:47:58 pm by dickos1 »
Straight back up as champions with Gary mc in charge

Exactly what evidence are you basing that on?

Look at this forum after Ferguson got us relegated and there will be the same folk back then demanding the manager be sacked

Bloody hell, Dickos, are you comparing GM with Fergie, who's got umpteen promotions on his CV?

Also, look at Fergie's recruitment for League 2; Marquis, Houghton, Mason, Rowe. Can you seriously see GM attracting players of that calibre for next season?

I’m not comparing their historical records no
I’m stating this forum said ferguson had no chance of getting us promoted out of league 2
The forum was wrong

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on April 18, 2022, 06:51:35 pm by scawsby steve »

Look at this forum after Ferguson got us relegated and there will be the same folk back then demanding the manager be sacked

Bloody hell, Dickos, are you comparing GM with Fergie, who's got umpteen promotions on his CV?

Also, look at Fergie's recruitment for League 2; Marquis, Houghton, Mason, Rowe. Can you seriously see GM attracting players of that calibre for next season?

I’m stating this forum said ferguson had no chance of getting us promoted out of league 2
The forum was wrong

I can't remember many people on here saying that. I certainly didn't.

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on April 18, 2022, 06:58:52 pm by Frankie Rennie »
River Don not saying it’s good but changing the manager statistically works for Watford as they have stayed in the premiership for 7 out of 10 seasons

Conversely there is the example of Burnley, who have just commited self harm.

This is a personal thing but I think there is more satisfaction to be gained in watching a manager grow and develop a team over time. Rovers had it with Penney and then SOD and I prefer it that way.

As an outsider Don, I completely agree with you. It takes time to build a squad and half a season isn’t it. I’m sure GM knows which players can do it and which can’t, maybe even some of those he brought in have disappointed. Starting again with someone who doesn’t know the players means it’ll take until at least January to confirm it and by then it could be too late. I’d let GM do the business over the summer and with his own squad and a full pre season I’d expect Donny to be immediately pushing to come straight back up. Patience isn’t easy and I know it’s hard when you’re losing regularly but at some point you have to give someone a proper chance. Good luck next season whatever happens and I hope you do bounce straight back up.

Ronnie Dovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on April 18, 2022, 06:59:55 pm by Ronnie Dovers »
Change managers now and we will have  the same first half of the season as we have this season.
There are many teams in lge two with settled established managers. Teams that have gelled together with established defence midfield and attacks.
I don’t think we can afford to mix it up again this close to a new season starting.

I'm still somewhat on the fence in terms of GMc's future, however I'm quite certain that numerous teams have appointed a new manager in the summer after a terrible season and seen improvement. I'm surprised by how many people think continuity is the answer, after 18 months of relative continuity leading to abject failure.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on April 18, 2022, 07:00:23 pm by steve@dcfd »
For GMC or any manager to get us back straight away he will need really backing. We had the players last time and we brought in Marquis to add to them. We haven’t got that level of player now.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on April 18, 2022, 07:02:27 pm by River Don »
We've had this before but it's still relevant. Cue Chris Eccleston, down and out sitting in a gloomy underpass.

It's my belief that history is a wheel. "Inconstancy is my very essence" -says the wheel- "Rise up on my spokes if you like, but don't complain when you are cast back down into the depths. Good times pass away, but then so do the bad. Mutability is our tragedy, but it is also our hope. The worst of times, like the best, are always passing away."

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on April 18, 2022, 07:04:49 pm by dickos1 »

The forum was wrong

I can't remember many people on here saying that. I certainly didn't.

Have a look back,
Plenty reckon we would end up in the conference with him in charge

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on April 18, 2022, 07:15:53 pm by Donnybax »
So it seems that the only real argument for mcsheffrey staying is continuity when based on the last 18 and a bit months continuity is the last thing we need. A complete change and shake up is needed

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on April 18, 2022, 07:20:46 pm by steve@dcfd »
Dickos if we don’t sign the right level of player we will be heading for the National league. Our defensive r goals against is awful and weve not scored enough goals. If GMC is to be the manager then let’s hope he gets players at the right level. He’s was honest to say that some players in the right he brought in have worked out others haven’t . But that’s the same since Summer we spread out the money available to get lower level players. So whatever plan the board had it wasn’t the right one. But they are Teflon and it’s the managers and low level players that get the stick.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on April 18, 2022, 08:15:55 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I'm disappointed overall. I thought we recruited fairly well in January with a few good signings (Martin, Clayton the standouts).

The squad isn't bad even with some big players out injured and for me did just about have enough to stay up. When you look at it you can't help but think an extra 6pts during the season wouldn't have been so tough.

So in some ways I feel GM has underachieved.  However, it is incredibly tough to turn round a failing squad.  I remember Grant McCann once saying that in a bad run there's very little as manager he could do to stop that and I really rate McCann.

Going forward it's tough.  Change the manager and it'd another protracted recruitment and change.  Stick with him and there's question marks as he's so unproven.

Would I change again? I don't know.  I tend to think you can't judge a mid season change, we saw that under Ferguson and for me there are other bigger issues to address, fitness and recruitment the two obvious ones.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on April 18, 2022, 09:51:29 pm by Canadian Rover »
Clayton (although a good player) was recruited way too late and imagine was 2nd choice to JJOT. The club, manager and board didn't treat our league position with enough urgency.

I truly believe they all thought we were too good to go down.

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on April 18, 2022, 10:05:49 pm by jamesrover17 »
Weird world where a player of Claytons calibre was playing second fiddle to a plodder like O’Toole… Shows what a year out of the game will do, he looks like a shrewd signing now he is up to speed

DRCraig

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on April 18, 2022, 10:06:43 pm by DRCraig »
Within minutes of our last game I expect him to be thanked for his efforts but shown the door.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on April 18, 2022, 10:14:40 pm by RoversAlias »
For GMC or any manager to get us back straight away he will need really backing. We had the players last time and we brought in Marquis to add to them. We haven’t got that level of player now.

We signed almost a whole new team when we went down. The board backed Fergie and he put together a top quality side - Rowe and McSheffrey made permanent, then the signings of Blair, Marquis, Houghton, Mason, Baudry and Wright, then in January Alfie May, Conor Grant and Lawlor too.

We need to do this again now - add 7 or 8 quality players throughout the side to build around the few we already have who are any good - Rowe, Anderson, Clayton, Taylor, Griffiths hopefully among them. We only really had Copps, Butler, Keegan and Alcock to work with last time, plus a gem out of the academy in Mandeville.

A big, big ask - it needs commitment in funds from the board and the *right* people in the Head of Football and managerial roles.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on April 18, 2022, 10:41:56 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Fergie had a way of playing he knew he was trying to achieve sometimes this was frustrating but at least he had a plan. Not to mention a track record. You can back someone like that. GM from anything we’ve heard doesn’t have a plan and his track record is us relegated as the second worst team in the worst relegation battle in years.

Just because Fergie was kept and we went back up is not a reason for GM to be retained.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on May 21, 2022, 10:15:39 am by tommy toes »
Mrs Toes (not a football fan) met our manager at a function yesterday. She says he's absolutely gorgeous and if she was 20 years younger...etc.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on May 21, 2022, 12:58:28 pm by idler »
Mrs Toes (not a football fan) met our manager at a function yesterday. She says he's absolutely gorgeous and if she was 20 years younger...etc.
Is that another season ticket in the Toes household next year then?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012