Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:05:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: ‘Born to support’.  (Read 826 times)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
‘Born to support’.
« on May 15, 2022, 05:39:08 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Imagine you had no connection either through birth in the town, family connection or whatever with Rovers.

Who would you want/wish to be a supporter for in the manner you have supported Rovers?

It could be any European or indeed any club in the world in any era.

You could even have been born (for arguments sake) in that country, city or town if it ‘helps’ your choice.

My own choice (only fair to include) would to have been a supporter of the Liverpool team that under the managership of Bob Paisley, sent me to bed a happy ‘football follower’ after watching their European exploits during the late 70’s.

During Paisley’s tenure ship between 1974/83, Liverpool won 6 league titles, 3 European Cups, a UEFA Cup, a UEFA Super Cup, 3 League Cups.

He signed the following players:-

Terry McDermott from N/castle for £175k in 1974.
Alan Hansen from Partick Thistle for £100k in 1977
Kenny Dalglish from Celtic for £440k in 1977 (Keegan left for Hamburgh that year for £500k)
Alan Kennedy from N/castle for £330k in 1978
Bruce Grobbelaar from Vancouver Whitecaps for £250k in 1981
Ian Rush from Chester for £300k in 1980
Ronnie Whelan on a free from Home Farm in 1979

I love the stadium, the kit, the songs the history.

Having said all that…hand on heart, I wouldn’t change a thing.
RTID.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Re: ‘Born to support’.
« Reply #1 on May 15, 2022, 07:34:11 pm by normal rules »
Looking at those figures, it’s not hard to see why we are where we are now re money in football.
And clubs like Liverpool paved the way.
Money buys success.
Who wants to support that?
Being successful, no matter what the cost? No thanks.
In a city where some of the poorest people in the uk live.

I know it may be against the idea of your thread, but I would love to go back in time and see rovers in the 50’s and 60’s.
When teams in all four leagues were on much more of a level. At least much more than they are today.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 07:36:52 pm by normal rules »

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 15, 2022, 08:47:11 pm by Scooter »
Union Berlin. A proper people’s club. I’m not bothered about supporting an all conquering juggernaut of a club who win the majority of their games. I would want a club who respect and value the fans, not a club who just want to charge me 100 quid for a replica shirt.

I’m not interested in clubs like Man Utd crying because they miss out on champions league money. I would support a club who are the underdogs, graft and live on a rollercoaster

That’s what I want from the rovers

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 15, 2022, 09:58:32 pm by BobG »
MVV Maastricht 'cos it's a nice town and it's one in the eye for Europhobes and Independiente Medellin 'cos they're  the less favoured of the two clubs in the city I'm going to live in.

BobG

TinyPortal © 2005-2012