Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:06:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Eaten alive in League 2  (Read 4488 times)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
Eaten alive in League 2
« on May 16, 2022, 11:42:39 am by steve@dcfd »
This is the view of Ali Maxwell Sky TV, Quest and Pod cast pundit
He doesn’t believe we have the core of the squad to be successful in League 2 like GMC believes.
Will GMC and Copps prove him wrong we hope so.

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/they-could-be-eaten-alive-efl-pundit-delivers-worrying-verdict-on-doncaster-rovers-following-relegation-to-league-two-3694614
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 11:53:15 am by steve@dcfd »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Eaten alive in League 2
« Reply #1 on May 16, 2022, 11:55:33 am by selby »
  I can remember at the beginning of the season some very highly paid and famous so called experts expected Manchester United to challenge for the premiership title especially when they signed Ronaldo, Arsenal to drop well out of the race for a top four finish and finish as low as tenth and take years to become a  force again, Leeds to once more become a force in the land together with Everton.
   Cheltenham and Morecombe to become whipping boys in division 1, Portsmouth Sunderland and Ipswich to go up, and a whole host of predictions from so called experts who know no more than the average punter in the street.
  Come back in twelve months you might he might be right, but don't bet on it, the bookies make a great living out of a load of experts.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 16, 2022, 11:58:46 am by steve@dcfd »
He’s given his opinion but said it could be different we will see and should know by Christmas which way we are heading. I want us to be successful but like him I have my doubts with a lot of contracted players.

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 16, 2022, 12:03:48 pm by ctay »
Does anybody remember who predicted us to be relegated last year? I seem to recall hearing it or reading it. It wasnt a local journo.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 16, 2022, 12:04:58 pm by Alan Southstand »
It’s to be hoped he’s wrong, then, Selby. But just saying it doesn’t make it happen and that’s where the proof of the pudding will be. Trouble is, if we get it wrong (again) next season then we have a trap door waiting that would be a disaster!

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 16, 2022, 12:50:38 pm by since-1969 »
He doesn’t believe we have the core of the squad to be successful in League 2 like GMC believes.

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/they-could-be-eaten-alive-efl-pundit-delivers-worrying-verdict-on-doncaster-rovers-following-relegation-to-league-two-3694614
The warnings about the clubs over all approach to each season and it’s ultimate long term commitment are here to see. Results don’t lie and three managers all without a track record to see them draw from says the same . I’m no Baldwin fan but even I have admit that he has had his hand tied . The owners look reluctant to invest for the long term and it’s their dismissive, carefree  and relaxed approach to ALL OUR concerns has finally reaped its predictable outcome .L2 could see us struggle without INVESTMENT!!!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 16, 2022, 01:01:07 pm by Campsall rover »
It’s to be hoped he’s wrong, then, Selby. But just saying it doesn’t make it happen and that’s where the proof of the pudding will be. Trouble is, if we get it wrong (again) next season then we have a trap door waiting that would be a disaster!
If we finish anywhere near the bottom 8 in league 2 next year then there is something going badly wrong somewhere because if we get 4 decent signings to add to what we have already any thing less than top 7 is going to be a massive under achievement imo. We need need a goalscorer signed though or top 7 is just a fantasy.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 16, 2022, 01:04:08 pm by wilts rover »

Didn't he tip us to do well last year?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 16, 2022, 01:04:23 pm by drfchound »
Does anybody remember who predicted us to be relegated last year? I seem to recall hearing it or reading it. It wasnt a local journo.

I remember saying at the end of season 2020/21 that I was concerned that we could be in a relegation dogfight in 2021/22 because I thought the decline under AB could carry through.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 16, 2022, 01:11:36 pm by steve@dcfd »

Yes he did as I said it’s all about opinions at the time. But looking at our present squad the 80+ goals conceded and the lack of goals are you not concerned. If we bring in the right players then we might turn things round. The summer transfer and loans will be big not number must be in quality.
I go back to a manager who believes if we carry our last 6/7 games performances into league 2 will will do ok. Last 10 games won 2 and took 8pts He believes that is good.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 01:15:08 pm by steve@dcfd »

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 16, 2022, 03:17:30 pm by ForsolongaRover »
I wonder how perceptive people like Mr Maxwell really are. I have never heard of him and his playing career was as a goalkeeper in Scottish Football. Does he have any direct access to Rovers or is he just someone who covers L1 and L2 matches for TV? I think I’d put more store by the opinion of the average Viking Chat contributor.

His views sound rather second-hand to me. And if you come out a strongly as he has with this sort of forecast, no credible “pundit” would finish by saying that he might be completely wrong! In any case how can you know what is likely before we have assembled our 2022/23 squad?

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 16, 2022, 03:46:51 pm by pib »
I wonder how perceptive people like Mr Maxwell really are. I have never heard of him and his playing career was as a goalkeeper in Scottish Football. Does he have any direct access to Rovers or is he just someone who covers L1 and L2 matches for TV? I think I’d put more store by the opinion of the average Viking Chat contributor.

His views sound rather second-hand to me. And if you come out a strongly as he has with this sort of forecast, no credible “pundit” would finish by saying that he might be completely wrong! In any case how can you know what is likely before we have assembled our 2022/23 squad?

Not the same bloke. The Ali Maxwell in question wasn't a footballer.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 16, 2022, 03:59:42 pm by GazLaz »
Bristol Rovers we’re in a worse mess than us 12 months ago.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 16, 2022, 04:04:37 pm by roversdude »
Not sure how anyone can come out with comments like that at this time of year - as mentioned earlier we have no idea what the squad will look like

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 16, 2022, 04:11:17 pm by wilts rover »

Yes he did as I said it’s all about opinions at the time. But looking at our present squad the 80+ goals conceded and the lack of goals are you not concerned. If we bring in the right players then we might turn things round. The summer transfer and loans will be big not number must be in quality.
I go back to a manager who believes if we carry our last 6/7 games performances into league 2 will will do ok. Last 10 games won 2 and took 8pts He believes that is good.

Its the 16th of May, this season hasn't even finshed yet - so no.

I will let Mr Maxwell's record of prediction accuracy stand for itself but I'm glad I don't pay him.

Steve, go out for a bike ride, do some gardening, buy a book or something. Then come back to what the squad looks like in July when the friendlies start, its pointless looking at it now.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 16, 2022, 04:40:49 pm by steve@dcfd »
I’ll be doing more than that but I’ll leave it alone now let’s see what happens.

Daniel_Smith

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 16, 2022, 08:42:11 pm by Daniel_Smith »
Majority of national pundits on Sky / BBC etc take zero interest in any club who previously weren't in the Premier League or don't exist South of the Watford gap.

Any predictions these pundits make are simply finger in the air stuff.

I remember on the old BBC Football League show, everytime Donny did well Manish Bhasin would say, "That's a great result for Doncaster Rovers." Totally ignoring any of our recent successes and showing a complete lack of knowledge or interest in our most recent footballing history.

Granted he'd be on the money if he made the same remark nowadays  :lol:

I can't watch Quest show either as all they seemingly do is wax lyrical about the London clubs and then talk about Sunderland, Wigan, Bolton, Ipswich et al - who they've obviously already heard of due to their previous Premier League exploits.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 16, 2022, 09:13:51 pm by since-1969 »
Majority of national pundits on Sky / BBC etc take zero interest in any club who previously weren't in the Premier League or don't exist South of the Watford gap.

Any predictions these pundits make are simply finger in the air stuff.

I remember on the old BBC Football League show, everytime Donny did well Manish Bhasin would say, "That's a great result for Doncaster Rovers." Totally ignoring any of our recent successes and showing a complete lack of knowledge or interest in our most recent footballing history.

Granted he'd be on the money if he made the same remark nowadays  :lol:

I can't watch Quest show either as all they seemingly do is wax lyrical about the London clubs and then talk about Sunderland, Wigan, Bolton, Ipswich et al - who they've obviously already heard of due to their previous Premier League exploits.
It’s football pundit program who’s bias is for successful teams , sadly we didn’t fit that bill !!!

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 17, 2022, 02:47:49 am by Sammy Chung was King »
You can’t judge properly until you see who teams bring in. Then it still isn’t easy. We all know we need additions.

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 17, 2022, 06:57:48 am by no eyed deer »
Not sure how anyone can come out with comments like that at this time of year - as mentioned earlier we have no idea what the squad will look like

Because we are on a downwards spiral  and only investment and good management from the top can stop this.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 17, 2022, 09:26:36 am by Campsall rover »

He said performances Steve, not results.
Most of the performances in th last 6 weeks of the season were a big improvement.
Fleetwood away was appalling though.

DD

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 19, 2022, 12:19:23 pm by DD »
Club seems to be floundering from top to bottom - hence the chaps comments to me are valid! Really could struggle without significant investment……and that comes from the top.
In an ideal world we shouldn’t have to rely on benefactors……but we are not in that situation.
So my question is - how much have the current directors invested during the last say 18 months? And, more pertinently, are they prepared to invest for the next season - I FEAR NOT.
Gone are the days of £2million / year backers.
I would like to read a clear statement of intent from Mr Bramall or Mr Blunt.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 12:22:04 pm by DD »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 19, 2022, 12:43:45 pm by Jonathan »
Club seems to be floundering from top to bottom - hence the chaps comments to me are valid! Really could struggle without significant investment……and that comes from the top.
In an ideal world we shouldn’t have to rely on benefactors……but we are not in that situation.
So my question is - how much have the current directors invested during the last say 18 months? And, more pertinently, are they prepared to invest for the next season - I FEAR NOT.
Gone are the days of £2million / year backers.
I would like to read a clear statement of intent from Mr Bramall or Mr Blunt.

Just out of interest, what do you expect to read that you won’t then dismiss, or pick apart and criticise? Are you expecting specific figures to be quoted? I ask as I can’t think of any other clubs that do that, so it would be setting quite the precedent. Mr Blunt has already made a clear statement acknowledging that we intend to bounce straight back. You might say actions will speak louder than words on this (and I’d agree) but that doesn’t appear to be what you’re asking for. So what is it that you’d like to hear that would make you happy? Indeed would anything make you happy?

DD

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 19, 2022, 01:56:41 pm by DD »
Blunt may have said “we intend to bounce back” he’s hardly likely to say anything else is he.
Personally - and it is probably a widely held view - is that without substantial additional funding the club will continue to slide down the league - as it is not possible to even stay mid table without money.
The investment (if any) over the last 18 months hasnt been enough …..if this trend continues then - logically - we will continue to slide.
Call it what you like, but the lack of ambition, lack of additional funding is worrying .

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 19, 2022, 02:22:12 pm by Chris Black come back »
We’ve got a more than healthy enough budget to survive comfortably in League One. The issue has been the appalling way it has been utilised in recent years. Getting promoted from League One is a very different issue but on budget basis alone we should not have endured the total humiliation of the past 18 months.

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 19, 2022, 05:59:49 pm by no eyed deer »
Blunt may have said “we intend to bounce back” he’s hardly likely to say anything else is he.
Personally - and it is probably a widely held view - is that without substantial additional funding the club will continue to slide down the league - as it is not possible to even stay mid table without money.
The investment (if any) over the last 18 months hasnt been enough …..if this trend continues then - logically - we will continue to slide.
Call it what you like, but the lack of ambition, lack of additional funding is worrying .

And Baldwin said we would invest significantly during the January transfer window. !!

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on May 19, 2022, 06:13:02 pm by ravenrover »
Remind me how many additions to the squad we made?

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 19, 2022, 06:15:27 pm by since-1969 »
Remind me how many additions to the squad we made?
……1…….

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on May 19, 2022, 08:31:51 pm by ravenrover »
Really?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 19, 2022, 09:11:07 pm by Jonathan »

Still not entirely clear on what you said you wanted to read from the club. It feels like whatever you read you’d pick apart and belittle. So perhaps you were just making the wrong point. You’re just not happy - kind of used to that over the years. At least with the season that’s just gone there’s more of an understandable reason for it. But it’s a permanent stance nonetheless.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012