Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:05:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Jake Daniels  (Read 2283 times)

rich1471

• Forum Member
Jake Daniels
« on May 16, 2022, 05:36:12 pm by rich1471 »
 The first player to come out as gay for more than 30 years ,in this day an age I don't understand why some football fans still have an issue with it ,hope he has a great career in the game and very brave.
Blackpool midfielder Jake Daniels said his decision to come out as the UK's only openly gay active male professional footballer was "a massive relief".

Daniels, 17, is the first professional footballer in the UK men's game for more than 30 years to come out while still playing.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
Re: Jake Daniels
« Reply #1 on May 16, 2022, 05:46:44 pm by keyser_soze »
30 years is an incredible statistic when you consider how many footballers have come through the doors of professional football clubs since then (I’m not aware of any that have come out post retirement either) and very brave of a young lad.

I hope this is a catalyst for real change in the sport. This really shouldn’t be a taking point (or any of our business) in this day and age and let’s hope this turns out to be the first massive leap in that direction.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 16, 2022, 05:51:21 pm by DonnyOsmond »
30 years is an incredible statistic when you consider how many footballers have come through the doors of professional football clubs since then (I’m not aware of any that have come out post retirement either) and very brave of a young lad.

I hope this is a catalyst for real change in the sport. This really shouldn’t be a taking point (or any of our business) in this day and age and let’s hope this turns out to be the first massive leap in that direction.

Thomas Hitzlsperger did after retirement.

Daniel_Smith

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 16, 2022, 06:12:11 pm by Daniel_Smith »
Very brave. Wish him all the luck in his career. Everyone should be able to live their life as their true selves. It's a shame so many gay footballers have felt unable to come out over the years. Primarily due to not knowing how the rest of the footballing world and its supporters would react. I sincerely hope fans don't give him any abuse. Hopefully this then encourages others to follow Jakes example.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 16, 2022, 07:32:03 pm by roversontheup »
I am so pleased a male footballer has finally been brave enough to publicly open up. It really shouldn't be an issue in 2022. But I think we all know that he will get a shed load of abuse. Not necessarily from homophobic fans although there will be some but from opposing fans who will use anything to have a go. Just like if a player is ginger, long haired,  curly haired, Scouse etc etc.. Many fans see it all as fair game unfortunately.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 16, 2022, 07:40:27 pm by drfchound »
I think there will also be a few opposition players who will have a go at him to try and put him off his game.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 16, 2022, 07:52:37 pm by roversontheup »
I think there will also be a few opposition players who will have a go at him to try and put him off his game.
Hes only 17 but I'm sure he has already faced plenty of homophobic slurs. I'm sure hes prepared for the publicity and backlash and equally all the support he will get for coming out . Blackpool fans will protect him.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 16, 2022, 08:00:16 pm by Chris Black come back »
His interview was very impressive, especially for a lad of 17 years.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 16, 2022, 08:00:42 pm by roversdude »
Don’t get all the publicity around it, to me it actually pigeon holes people. Personally I couldn’t care what colour or sexuality someone is I just see them as the person, it’s only when they have to be put into a group that it highlights whatever.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 16, 2022, 08:06:47 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Don’t get all the publicity around it, to me it actually pigeon holes people. Personally I couldn’t care what colour or sexuality someone is I just see them as the person, it’s only when they have to be put into a group that it highlights whatever.

It shouldn't matter... But unfortunately we live in a world where if the press found out before he felt ready they'd out him themselves. Hopefully it'll lead to more feeling free to be themselves. I think 99% of players, team mates or opposition will be fairly supportive.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 16, 2022, 09:16:37 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
We're in a good place when a player coming out doesn't make the news. Understandable why it has in this instance but hopefully we'll get there soon.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 16, 2022, 10:10:28 pm by roversontheup »
We're in a good place when a player coming out doesn't make the news. Understandable why it has in this instance but hopefully we'll get there soon.

Absolutely and nobody bats an eye in female sport.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 17, 2022, 12:20:00 am by Scooter »
I think this is excellent. Hopefully more players will come out

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 17, 2022, 02:43:19 am by Sammy Chung was King »
All that should matter is if he performs on the pitch, his private life whether with male or female, is no concern of anybody.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 17, 2022, 07:53:25 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
Brave lad for doing this. Wish him all the best.

Knocked 30 goals in for Blackpools youth this season so the kid can definitely play a bit as well!

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 17, 2022, 08:09:35 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Might fancy a loan deal with us?.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 17, 2022, 11:36:41 pm by DRNaith »
His interview was very impressive, especially for a lad of 17 years.

That interview will have been on his mind for a very long time and it shouldn't have needed to be. It shouldn't be a big deal and many should have gone before him

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 18, 2022, 07:46:22 am by MachoMadness »
Important to remember we're still living in the shadow of Section 28, which made it illegal for schools to teach kids that gay people existed. That was in force in my lifetime, while I was at school. Only repealed in 2003. Homophobia isn't some relic of the past quite yet. Well done to the lad for having the courage to do this, at 17 as well. Just hope it works out for him.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 18, 2022, 03:32:11 pm by rich1471 »
This is why he is brave even in this day and age people still have a massive issue about been gay , the players below should be fined as no amount of education will change their mind set

Paris St-Germain's Idrissa Gueye refused to play in a match to avoid wearing a rainbow symbol in support of LGBTQ+ rights, BBC Sport understands.

Crystal Palace's Cheikhou Kouyate and Watford's Ismaila Sarr have posted on social media in apparent support of their Senegal team-mate's stance.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 18, 2022, 05:00:49 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

It shouldn't matter... But unfortunately we live in a world where if the press found out before he felt ready they'd out him themselves. Hopefully it'll lead to more feeling free to be themselves. I think 99% of players, team mates or opposition will be fairly supportive.

Exactly. The more mundane an issue becomes, the less it matters.

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 18, 2022, 08:25:57 pm by Reg of the Rovers »
Important to remember we're still living in the shadow of Section 28, which made it illegal for schools to teach kids that gay people existed. That was in force in my lifetime, while I was at school. Only repealed in 2003. Homophobia isn't some relic of the past quite yet. Well done to the lad for having the courage to do this, at 17 as well. Just hope it works out for him.
Absolutely, homosexuality is still illegal in Qatar now. And the World Cup is being held there! Not much of a message of support for Jake and others in a similar position from the very top of football.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012