Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 06:23:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Bostock  (Read 11387 times)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
Re: Bostock
« Reply #60 on June 02, 2022, 10:39:27 am by Jonathan »
Hopefully over the next month we start to see some significant steps towards strengthening that squad.

We certainly need a left back, we now need to replace Bostock (not necessarily a like for like but the midfield needs another good option). We need a wide player / number 10 and we need at least one striker, make that two if Dodoo leaves.

That’s the minimum as I see it.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on June 02, 2022, 10:50:33 am by Chris Black come back »
That sounds right. Ideally we can offload Hiwula and Dodoo, who will probably be on very good League Two money.

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on June 02, 2022, 11:12:35 am by Move DRFC »
Left back and 2/3 forwards needed big time. We have to move Hiwula and Dodoo on, but it might not be easy admittedly.

We still haven’t really got that commanding ball progressive centre defensive midfielder that we’ve missed since Whiteman left. Clayton isn’t that player I don’t think and we need at least 1 more midfielder.

Then we need to make the most out of the loan market, get some quality in. If we can find a Josh Martin type player then that will make a huge difference in L2.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on June 02, 2022, 11:48:39 am by Chris Black come back »
I don’t think the defence is particularly strong at all but is probably good enough for League Two maybe. The bigger issue is the total absence of any goals in that side. Other than Tommy Rowe there are not many in that midfield either. I would prioritise that problem, and if we had money to burn would then gut the defence. 

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on June 02, 2022, 11:51:12 am by ncRover »
I can’t work Bostock out. Technically brilliant but him joining was the start of our complete nosedive in form just before Moore leaving.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on June 02, 2022, 11:57:25 am by ncRover »
I don’t think the defence is particularly strong at all but is probably good enough for League Two maybe. The bigger issue is the total absence of any goals in that side. Other than Tommy Rowe there are not many in that midfield either. I would prioritise that problem, and if we had money to burn would then gut the defence.

In terms of Griffiths it’s an unknown but Telford at Newport was L2 top scorer and only got 2 goals the season before in the same league!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on June 02, 2022, 12:13:28 pm by selby »
  Faulkner has been missed in that list of defenders and is capable of pushing for a place during the season, and if he bombs the preseason could come into the reckoning sooner than people think.
  Another thing I would try is Ro Shaun Williams as a central mid field player playing in front of the back line, I think he could do well there, is mobile, big and Strong, and puts himself about and can bring the ball out.  Worth a try in preseason games.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on June 02, 2022, 12:17:07 pm by Chris Black come back »
Have amended list to include Faulkner and also Barlow, making now a 21 man senior squad.

Ro-Shaun has extremely limited mobility and very little ability with the ball, so I do not think he could play even a very deep lying defensive midfield role. He would create more problems than he would ever solve.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on June 02, 2022, 12:35:51 pm by RugbyRover »
Have amended list to include Faulkner and also Barlow, making now a 21 man senior squad.

Ro-Shaun has extremely limited mobility and very little ability with the ball, so I do not think he could play even a very deep lying defensive midfield role. He would create more problems than he would ever solve.

Agreed. The idea of seeing RSW playing in midfield has brought a smile to my face. Thank you Selby :)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on June 02, 2022, 12:38:05 pm by NickDRFC »

Agreed. The idea of seeing RSW playing in midfield has brought a smile to my face. Thank you Selby :)

Had to double check the calendar that we’re at the start of June rather than the start of April!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on June 02, 2022, 12:50:06 pm by selby »
  I bow to your superior knowledge of spotting footballers. You obviously made your minds up about the lad long ago and will never give him credit, that's just the way you are, he offers more than you give him credit for that's for sure.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on June 02, 2022, 12:59:25 pm by Filo »
  Faulkner has been missed in that list of defenders and is capable of pushing for a place during the season, and if he bombs the preseason could come into the reckoning sooner than people think.
  Another thing I would try is Ro Shaun Williams as a central mid field player playing in front of the back line, I think he could do well there, is mobile, big and Strong, and puts himself about and can bring the ball out.  Worth a try in preseason games.

Bring the ball out?

He shits himself when he has the ball at his feet, I’m not sure what you are seeing there at all

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on June 02, 2022, 01:14:30 pm by NickDRFC »
  I bow to your superior knowledge of spotting footballers. You obviously made your minds up about the lad long ago and will never give him credit, that's just the way you are, he offers more than you give him credit for that's for sure.

I thought he was terrible in the first half of the season but much improved second half and I’m happy to give him credit when he deserves it. I’d be fine to see him start the season at centre back but I haven’t seen a single aspect to his game that makes me think he’d be even remotely suited to moving into midfield.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on June 02, 2022, 02:10:37 pm by roversdude »
Williams did well after getting over his injury, unfortunately as well as he plays there is a mistake in his game and that seems to be the only thing some of our fans focus on

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on June 02, 2022, 02:22:21 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Lets be right on the ball RSW is way less than pro standard. Theres more to been a centre half so he can get away with it but in midfield it would be touch, tackle touch, tackle all game.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on June 02, 2022, 02:22:36 pm by Chris Black come back »
It was an appalling defensive unit. They shipped 82 goals at 1.8 goals a game. Only 10 clean sheets all season. We conceded in around 8 out of 10 games. There is not much to give anyone hope that this is going to be an asset even in League Two.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on June 02, 2022, 03:29:54 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
We need goal threat from the forwards and midfield. We also need a calming influence added in central defence and left back. An experienced goalkeeper wouldn’t go amiss.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on June 02, 2022, 03:59:27 pm by eastender »
It was an appalling defensive unit. They shipped 82 goals at 1.8 goals a game. Only 10 clean sheets all season. We conceded in around 8 out of 10 games. There is not much to give anyone hope that this is going to be an asset even in League Two.

It's hard to keep clean sheets ,and too easy to make errors when the ball keeps coming back at you all the time ,because the forwards and midfield can't hold the ball up, or stop the crosses coming in from all angles.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on June 02, 2022, 04:16:23 pm by drfchound »
Lets be right on the ball RSW is way less than pro standard. Theres more to been a centre half so he can get away with it but in midfield it would be touch, tackle touch, tackle all game.

And yet he has been with pro football clubs, including Man Utd, since 2008 and been capped by England at U19 level.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on June 02, 2022, 09:36:51 pm by selby »
And yet there are better judges of players ability sat in the stand at Doncaster every home game than ManU and England coaches.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on June 02, 2022, 10:21:18 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

And yet he has been with pro football clubs, including Man Utd, since 2008 and been capped by England at U19 level.

Hardly saying he's a bad player. Anyone who makes it pro is very very good relatively speaking. But has anyone seen anything to suggest he should be playing centre midfield! That's the point i'm taking issue with and pretty sure every coach, manager whatever at any decent level would agree. We've been awful enough as it is for a while now no need to make it worse when we've a chance for a fresh start

I'd actually be for him playing in there in a preseason game if only to end this discussion before it gets going, and a bit of comedy value.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on June 02, 2022, 10:36:14 pm by drfchound »

Hardly saying he's a bad player. Anyone who makes it pro is very very good relatively speaking. But has anyone seen anything to suggest he should be playing centre midfield! That's the point i'm taking issue with and pretty sure every coach, manager whatever at any decent level would agree. We've been awful enough as it is for a while now no need to make it worse when we've a chance for a fresh start

I'd actually be for him playing in there in a preseason game if only to end this discussion before it gets going, and a bit of comedy value.

Sedwards, I wasn’t taking issue with you over him playing midfield, just that you said his touch is way below pro standard and I have to disagree.
He wouldn’t have made the grade if that was the case.

graingrover

• VSC Member

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on June 03, 2022, 09:18:30 am by roversdude »
Some great comments on there lol

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on June 03, 2022, 10:26:29 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I can’t work Bostock out. Technically brilliant but him joining was the start of our complete nosedive in form just before Moore leaving.

The Tino Asprilla  of Donny rovers.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on June 03, 2022, 11:08:33 am by Canadian Rover »
No loyalty or accountability for his overall contribution to the club.

Talented? Sure he is. But in my opinion never felt he wanted to have a career at the Rovers.

Typical of the class of 21/22 that was desultory at best.

I'd rather the likes of Barlow or Smith (mk2) a 2/3 year contract ahead of someone who only cared for the club if it suited their social media image.

How many games did you see Bostock truly give 100% for the cause?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on June 03, 2022, 11:09:53 am by Chris Black come back »
He was and is a talented player, but the number of times he completed 90 minutes over the last 18 months was minimal.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 12:47:59 pm by Chris Black come back »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on June 03, 2022, 11:42:07 am by Filo »
No loyalty or accountability for his overall contribution to the club.

Talented? Sure he is. But in my opinion never felt he wanted to have a career at the Rovers.

Typical of the class of 21/22 that was desultory at best.

I'd rather the likes of Barlow or Smith (mk2) a 2/3 year contract ahead of someone who only cared for the club if it suited their social media image.

How many games did you see Bostock truly give 100% for the cause?

That first sentence, he has history of that, shit on Palace because he thought the grass was greener elsewhere

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on June 03, 2022, 11:56:05 am by ncRover »
Still nothing on social media from John himself thanking the club or fans.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012