Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 08:01:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New Striker x2 - Luke Molyneux  (Read 10246 times)

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
Re: New Striker x2 - Luke Molyneux
« Reply #120 on June 23, 2022, 05:17:49 pm by ChrisBx »
Based on what I've seen of Jones and Mitchell, I'm of the view that neither are of the standard required to be our first choice keeper.

A goalkeeper should be a priority this transfer window.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on June 23, 2022, 05:35:15 pm by Chris Black come back »
We have the same defence, dropping to league two we might concede say sixty odd goals, having conceded 82 goals. Getting a good left back, Tom Anderson back at his best I think you could squeeze that amount down to about the fifty mark. Getting a Close and others back from injury that could bring it down below that mark.

We scored thirty seven goals last season. We’ve added Miller who I think can get us around twenty a season, Molyneux 10-15 a season. Griffiths is capable of twenty goals.Rowe is capable of around ten, Biggins will get just under that amount.
We need another striker that can weigh in with about fifteen. You would want your defence and other midfielder’s not mentioned to contribute about ten between them all.

Get all that happening then you are in and around the automatic promotion area. Plus if you can get Hiwula playing, Dodoo chipping in with a few that could push you into the top spot.
Are they surplus to requirements or can we get them playing?. I personally think both will leave. Dodoo doesn’t feel valued obviously and Hiwula it just hasn’t worked so far.

Like your optimism.

In the last 40 years only one player has scored more than 20 football league goals in a season for us. I doubt very much we are going to have two players in the same season do that for us next season.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on June 23, 2022, 05:45:25 pm by Lesonthewest »
His distribution was affected by the fact nobody was moving for him
Partly, he also kicked the ball out of play more often than not

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on June 23, 2022, 05:49:30 pm by andyst79 »
Apart from that clanger on debut v Rotherham what has Mitchell done wrong?
Seriously please someone tell me.
He had a crap defence in front of him last season and saved us from total humiliation on several occasions if my memory hasn’t gone completely.

He isn’t the best keeper we have ever had but he is a very decent one.
He couldn’t get in the Hartlepool team because the had a very very good keeper who kept him out.

I just don’t get it. Who do some of you expect us to have in goal right now.
Any Neil Sullivan’s out there please put you hand up now so GM can see you.

We are fine in the keeper Dept and we now have a very experienced coach to help improve him further.

When he signed I highlighted his errors leading to goals numbers at Northampton were 0.24/90mins. For us that figure was 0.25/90mins. That’s too high.
Would be interested to see what the stats were for other keepers in the League and compare if you have these available?. I should imagine when your defence and Keeper are under the cosh for most of the game his stats are going to look worse than  Wigan's or Rotherham's keeper especially. What were Gary Woods errors leading to goals stats the year he won the league?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on June 23, 2022, 05:56:50 pm by scawsby steve »
I think people are now realising how important Marquis was to us. He's never been replaced, and I don't think he ever will be. However, I do believe we're making great steps to improve our attacking strengths.

My worry is the defence. I really don't think we're very good in that department, even for League 2. Unless Tom can regain the form he had before his injuries, then we don't have one single outstanding defender.

Now that we're strengthening well in other areas, I'd be inclined to use one of the loan spots to bring in a proven, solid CB in the mould of Andy Butler and Paul Downing.

Daniel_Smith

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on June 23, 2022, 08:23:33 pm by Daniel_Smith »
Good signing that. Hope he hits the ground running

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on June 23, 2022, 09:29:51 pm by Campsall rover »
He’s as good a keeper that we have actually owned for some considerable time.

I would agree he's as good as Louis Jones and that's the problem. He was supposed to be better and he isn't.

A good keeper can save you 20 points a season, apparently.

He cost us plenty. Oxford away, Gillingham at home, Shrewsbury away, Rotherham at home

Not good enough. Maybe the new coach can add something to his game. Wouldn't surprise me if Jones got another run in the side.

Where have you got the 20pts a season number from?
Well it could be 5, 10,15, 20, 25, 30
Take your pick. Depends how good he is doesn’t it.  I just picked the number 20 because it is a significant no of points over 46 games.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on June 23, 2022, 09:40:27 pm by Campsall rover »
We have the same defence, dropping to league two we might concede say sixty odd goals, having conceded 82 goals. Getting a good left back, Tom Anderson back at his best I think you could squeeze that amount down to about the fifty mark. Getting a Close and others back from injury that could bring it down below that mark.

We scored thirty seven goals last season. We’ve added Miller who I think can get us around twenty a season, Molyneux 10-15 a season. Griffiths is capable of twenty goals.Rowe is capable of around ten, Biggins will get just under that amount.
We need another striker that can weigh in with about fifteen. You would want your defence and other midfielder’s not mentioned to contribute about ten between them all.

Get all that happening then you are in and around the automatic promotion area. Plus if you can get Hiwula playing, Dodoo chipping in with a few that could push you into the top spot.
Are they surplus to requirements or can we get them playing?. I personally think both will leave. Dodoo doesn’t feel valued obviously and Hiwula it just hasn’t worked so far.
If you think SCK that all those players are going to score 20, 15, 10 goals each then you are living in fantasy land.
If we score 75/80 goals next season we should finish top 3 assuming we don’t concede more than around 50 goals.
You are estimating we are going to score around 90/100 goals. If our defence is anywhere near decent we will be Champions 100% we will probably get 95 points possibly more.

I hope you are correct but even I think scoring that many is more than wishful thinking.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 09:43:02 pm by Campsall rover »

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on June 23, 2022, 10:52:58 pm by ncRover »
I think people are now realising how important Marquis was to us. He's never been replaced, and I don't think he ever will be. However, I do believe we're making great steps to improve our attacking strengths.

My worry is the defence. I really don't think we're very good in that department, even for League 2. Unless Tom can regain the form he had before his injuries, then we don't have one single outstanding defender.

Now that we're strengthening well in other areas, I'd be inclined to use one of the loan spots to bring in a proven, solid CB in the mould of Andy Butler and Paul Downing.

Don’t rate Olowu? Add an experienced LB to his side and the defence looks good to me.

We are dropping a division as well don’t forget. More long balls to defend will suit Tom more.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on June 24, 2022, 01:34:04 am by Sammy Chung was King »

If you think SCK that all those players are going to score 20, 15, 10 goals each then you are living in fantasy land.
If we score 75/80 goals next season we should finish top 3 assuming we don’t concede more than around 50 goals.
You are estimating we are going to score around 90/100 goals. If our defence is anywhere near decent we will be Champions 100% we will probably get 95 points possibly more.

I hope you are correct but even I think scoring that many is more than wishful thinking.

I just think everything will click for us. I think both strikers we have will score goals with the right service. We have Molyneux, Rowe and I think Biggins will score goals. We need more additions and to tighten up at the back. We will see anyway.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on June 24, 2022, 07:42:26 am by Alan Southstand »
We need a recognised defensive midfielder in front of the defence and that improves the defence by not adding anything to it. But, before that, we still need the left back sorting out.

Midfield was a big problem last season, at both ends of the pitch. We couldn’t defend crosses, but neither could we stop the crosses at source.

It appears a dm is not a priority of GM, so the midfield, as a collective, will have to get back to protect, as well as be creative at the other end.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on June 24, 2022, 07:49:51 am by Chris Black come back »
If the additional striker and wide player we need are going to be loans, then we do need a permanent left back and central midfielder.

We’ve got the numbers so I cannot imagine we will be bringing anyone in, but the centre of our defence has been highly suspect for 18 months. Hope the current four can get their act together and very quickly.

Presume that Dodoo and Hiwula will be leaving.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on June 24, 2022, 11:42:15 am by drfchound »
Over the last couple of seasons we have looked exceptionally vulnerable when teams have put high balls into our box.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on June 24, 2022, 06:27:53 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I like Olowo who has plenty to offer but he does lose position quite often, finding himself in no man's land when the crosses come in.

I hope he can be coached however, Tom Anderson with him should help the communication.

A centre half's lot is no easier in League Two, I'm sure Rob Jones and many others will vouch for that.

We need to defend as a unit and attack as a unit. To be fair, our back line was overloaded on far too many occasions due to the midfield inexperience however, once Clayton and Bostock returned, the balance was so much better.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on June 24, 2022, 07:44:11 pm by Alan Southstand »
Better, but still not good enough!

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on June 24, 2022, 08:41:01 pm by Jonathan »
It appears a dm is not a priority of GM, so the midfield, as a collective, will have to get back to protect, as well as be creative at the other end.

I listened to the interview Alan and that’s not how I took it. It sounded to me like McSheffrey would very much like to bring in another commanding midfield player but acknowledged that the type of player we need would likely be expensive and we may need to move a couple out to get everyone that we want. In fairness I think that’s a realistic outlook and it’s hard to argue against the fact that the positions we’ve already acquired in (and the pending arrival of a left back) are equally obvious priorities.

I agree we still need another midfield player that can win the ball back, and I’m not giving up hope of us getting one yet.

Moving out the (two obvious) players that we don’t want / that don’t want to be here would certainly be a bonus.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on June 24, 2022, 09:21:49 pm by ncRover »

I listened to the interview Alan and that’s not how I took it. It sounded to me like McSheffrey would very much like to bring in another commanding midfield player but acknowledged that the type of player we need would likely be expensive and we may need to move a couple out to get everyone that we want. In fairness I think that’s a realistic outlook and it’s hard to argue against the fact that the positions we’ve already acquired in (and the pending arrival of a left back) are equally obvious priorities.

I agree we still need another midfield player that can win the ball back, and I’m not giving up hope of us getting one yet.

Moving out the (two obvious) players that we don’t want / that don’t want to be here would certainly be a bonus.

If you had to keep one of Hiwula and Dodoo who would you choose?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on June 24, 2022, 09:34:50 pm by Jonathan »

If you had to keep one of Hiwula and Dodoo who would you choose?

Right now Dodoo. Many on here will think I’m insane but I don’t think it’s totally out of the question to think he could have a decent season at this level. And if he was motivated and confident he could be a handful. He scored goals against lesser opposition in the Papa Johns…

Given where we’re at I think it’s best for all parties if both leave and we get to use the money elsewhere. But if they stay they’re in the squad and they should get our full backing. I think they’re both better than we saw last season.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on June 24, 2022, 09:47:33 pm by Chris Black come back »
I think both of them have zero chance of a future here. Too much baggage for them and us. Dodoo allegedly not turning up to pre-season is irrecoverable if true. He's done. Hiwula has a career that tells its own story the last 5 years. Not sure we can be his salvation now.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on June 25, 2022, 07:01:17 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

You reckon 5 players are going to score 70 goals between them?

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on June 25, 2022, 08:00:05 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Yes, that’s about the size of it.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on June 25, 2022, 10:22:18 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
We've signed a couple players who are capable of getting 10-15 goals a season. Agard has scored goals before and then we hope Reo can hit it big.

There's reasons to be hopeful we can be higher scoring. Don't need everyone getting 20 goals a season just a well spread out contributions.

If we got the goals Sammy is talking about we'll storm the league getting 100+ points. I think it's something to aim for 

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on May 25, 2023, 09:43:26 pm by GazLaz »
He had a crap defence in front of him last season and saved us from total humiliation on several occasions if my memory hasn’t gone completely.

He couldn’t get in the Hartlepool team because the had a very very good keeper who kept him out.

We are fine in the keeper Dept and we now have a very experienced coach to help improve him further.

When he signed I highlighted his errors leading to goals numbers at Northampton were 0.24/90mins. For us that figure was 0.25/90mins. That’s too high.

This season this figure was 0.31 per 90.

Pretty consistent.

The answers were there before we signed him.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on May 25, 2023, 09:55:44 pm by scawsby steve »

This season this figure was 0.31 per 90.

Pretty consistent.

The answers were there before we signed him.

What on Earth has that to do with Luke Molyneux?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012