Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:35:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Joe Wright  (Read 3849 times)

glosterred

• VSC Member
Joe Wright
« on June 26, 2022, 08:01:01 am by glosterred »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
Re: Joe Wright
« Reply #1 on June 26, 2022, 08:20:10 am by rover-n-out »
Is it out of the question that he could remain with us, or has that ship sailed? I thought he was looking good, and improved before his injury.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 26, 2022, 08:31:21 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I would imagine that ship has sailed and would be best for all parties that he makes a fresh start.

We wouldn't want a player who's heart isn't in it because a) He doesn't want to be here and b) would be protecting himself from further injury.

Joe never quite fulfilled his potential being plaqued by injuries. Nearly always he got going and started to show some consistency then twang, he'd be injured again.

Hearts would be a good move for him if he can prove his fitness. If not, I would think the best we should offer is a pay as you play contract....which isn't good for a pro footballer of his age.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 26, 2022, 08:53:06 am by DonnyOsmond »
I'd swap him for RSW.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 26, 2022, 09:15:33 am by mushRTID »
There comes a point where we have to draw a line.

Commendable we’re helping him but if his heart and future is elsewhere, we have to start thinking of our own pre season preparations.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 26, 2022, 09:45:49 am by DearneValleyRover »
There comes a point where we have to draw a line.

Commendable we’re helping him but if his heart and future is elsewhere, we have to start thinking of our own pre season preparations.

I don’t see how him training with us, including Fej, detracts from our own pre season. Both those players will be training twice has hard to regain fitness so the coaching staff can be using them as a benchmark for our contracted players.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 26, 2022, 09:51:48 am by DonnyOsmond »
How do we know his heart is elsewhere?

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 26, 2022, 09:56:12 am by rover-n-out »
Sorry guys, I didn't realize his ambitions lay elsewhere, must have missed that. And thinking back, he is prone to getting injured, so just completely dis-regard my post, and I'll continue with me chillin' out by the pool. Bloody lovely here in Turkey!!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 26, 2022, 10:07:16 am by RoversAlias »
This article makes no mention of the fact Joe is training with us at Cantley Park, which he is, so it may not tell the full story.

I would be surprised if he was training with us now if we had no interest. It has been over a year since his injury and if he has an offer to train at Hearts and he hasn't taken it when he is able to engage in fitness work at the very least, then that tells me he may not have his "heart" set on a move to Tynecastle after all.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 26, 2022, 10:35:57 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
He had his heart set on leaving before he got injured in the last game. Clearly Joe thought he could do better than the terms he was offered here. Can’t blame him for wanting to move on to better things.

Of course, we were morally obligated to help in his rehabilitation. If Joe had any incling to want to stay with us, then I would expect McSheffrey/Copps would have already explored that possibility but the fact that he was still hoping to train with Hearts, tells me we won't see Joe in a Rovers shirt again.

Personally, I wouldn't even offer him the same terms he turned down due to his injury record. Too risky.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 26, 2022, 10:51:46 am by mushRTID »
This article makes no mention of the fact Joe is training with us at Cantley Park, which he is, so it may not tell the full story.

I would be surprised if he was training with us now if we had no interest. It has been over a year since his injury and if he has an offer to train at Hearts and he hasn't taken it when he is able to engage in fitness work at the very least, then that tells me he may not have his "heart" set on a move to Tynecastle after all.

He was set to sign for Hearts after the game he got injured in wasn’t he?

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 26, 2022, 10:52:22 am by Lesonthewest »
Would be good to see him in a Rovers shirt again, never shirked a challenge & gave his all when it wasn't going well. Things have changed at the club since him wanting away. I thought the partnership between him & Tom Anderson was excellent up until Christmas time before Moore leaving. Don't think many league 2 strikers would get much change out of a fit partnership of Wright & Anderson.

Josh Horsman

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 26, 2022, 11:14:16 am by Josh Horsman »
Giving a couple of years ago Wright and Anderson partnership was arguably the best in league one, we’d be silly if we didn’t do our best to bring him back. Be a shame for him to use rovers to get fit then go elsewhere.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 26, 2022, 11:18:42 am by Sammy Chung was King »
If his heart is at the club then yes. If he doesn’t really want to be with us then leave it be. I just assume he is just training to regain fitness at the minute.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 26, 2022, 11:26:56 am by IDM »
His heart will be at the club which pays his wages..

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 26, 2022, 11:38:58 am by DonnyOsmond »

He was set to sign for Hearts after the game he got injured in wasn’t he?

But that was probably to do with them willing to pay him more money, not because of him just wanting to leave.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 26, 2022, 11:52:43 am by Lifelong supporter »

Apparently he's been looking really good in training.
Wonder if he'll turn out at Armthorpe?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 26, 2022, 12:59:44 pm by Jonathan »
Some very harsh comments again here, and some which I’m not sure are either fair or well informed. At a time when it seemed like other players were undoubtedly shirking and protecting themselves to get their moves elsewhere (Reece James anyone?), Joe kept on turning out and giving his all. Ultimately, if he was about to move, that cost him as he was injured playing for us when others weren’t bothering. I 100% back the club in doing the decent thing and standing by him, and I’d love it if he was able to resume his career here. He’s always been fully committed which is why some of the comments are a bit out of order. If he does move on then good luck to him.

Not that it has anything to do with this thread but I rent my apartment off his sister and they’re a good family. I hope none of them see people saying his heart wasn’t in it, as that’s totally wrong.

Ronnie Dovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 26, 2022, 01:06:34 pm by Ronnie Dovers »
I always rated Wright when he played, and if there's any chance of moving Williams on and getting Wright signed back up, I hope we're looking into it. Unlikely but you never know...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 26, 2022, 01:15:18 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
If Wright is fit, I'd have him in a heartbeat. Apart from the fact that he'd be the best CH in L2, as Jonathan says, his attitude and committment have never been less than A1. Unlike some other shirkers we've seen in recent years.

Sometimes you have to ask yourself where your values are.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 26, 2022, 01:52:05 pm by Chris Black come back »
Did tend to get bullied too easily. Our defenders and particularly our central defenders have for too long proved less than capable of organising a defensive line, avoiding avoidable errors and fundamentally, stopping the ball crossing the line. We don’t need a latter day Baresi, we need a modern day Rob Jones.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 26, 2022, 02:14:14 pm by Dutch Uncle »
If Wright is fit, I'd have him in a heartbeat. Apart from the fact that he'd be the best CH in L2, as Jonathan says, his attitude and committment have never been less than A1. Unlike some other shirkers we've seen in recent years.

Sometimes you have to ask yourself where your values are.

As evidenced, IIRC, by the brave goal-saving tackle that caused this serious injury which was made in the last match of the season when we were mid-table and were 0-4 down.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on June 26, 2022, 02:23:23 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Some very harsh comments again here, and some which I’m not sure are either fair or well informed. At a time when it seemed like other players were undoubtedly shirking and protecting themselves to get their moves elsewhere (Reece James anyone?), Joe kept on turning out and giving his all. Ultimately, if he was about to move, that cost him as he was injured playing for us when others weren’t bothering. I 100% back the club in doing the decent thing and standing by him, and I’d love it if he was able to resume his career here. He’s always been fully committed which is why some of the comments are a bit out of order. If he does move on then good luck to him.

Not that it has anything to do with this thread but I rent my apartment off his sister and they’re a good family. I hope none of them see people saying his heart wasn’t in it, as that’s totally wrong.

Who's that aimed at?

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 26, 2022, 03:14:39 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
He was developing into a top centre half before his injury, hence the interest from Hearts. I think it would do him good to get a full season playing every week again with us, then move on. He would be in a stronger position in the wage he can get, plus more teams will be interested probably.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 26, 2022, 03:24:18 pm by Jonathan »

Who's that aimed at?

Anyone that was implying his heart wasn’t in it here. It’s nonsense.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on June 26, 2022, 03:36:07 pm by Lesonthewest »
There were times during the latter part of Moore's reign when he was playing out of position, he looked like one of the very few who looked interested, making several decent runs attempting to get us forward to no avail, due to many of his teamates who had given up. Really good on the ball for a defender, & would be an excellent centre half in this league. We'd be mad not to offer him a way back if he can prove his fitness.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 26, 2022, 03:36:31 pm by VivaRovers »

Anyone that was implying his heart wasn’t in it here. It’s nonsense.

I think the implications were that he had his heart set on a move away from Doncaster at the point of his injury, rather than his heart not being in performing for the club when he was fit.

They're two quite different things, but given how many players were phoning it in at the end of that season I can appreciate the misunderstanding.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on June 26, 2022, 03:37:03 pm by Lifelong supporter »
Did tend to get bullied too easily. Our defenders and particularly our central defenders have for too long proved less than capable of organising a defensive line, avoiding avoidable errors and fundamentally, stopping the ball crossing the line. We don’t need a latter day Baresi, we need a modern day Rob Jones.

At his best IMO Wright is quite a bit better than Jones who wasn't the quickest and, because of it, was sometimes in trouble.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on June 26, 2022, 03:41:41 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Quite right. I didn't suggest his heart wasn't in it while he was playing for us!

What I am speculating is where he wants to be once he recovers from injury.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on June 26, 2022, 06:44:36 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
I've always been a big fan of Joe and I'd love him to stay but I think a fresh start for him would do him the world of good.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012