Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:18:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Alfie May  (Read 4420 times)

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
Re: Alfie May
« Reply #30 on July 04, 2022, 09:48:33 am by Goole Rover »
Marquis is the better natural all round footballer. I wouldn’t say he’s lazy I would say he leaves a bit to the side at times. He’s a hard worker.
May gets the most out of himself by working hard. He isn’t a natural but has a great attitude.
You are guaranteed he will give his best every game. He wasn’t used well by us, Cheltenham have played him where he’s best, they got their rewards.

I must admit they way AM was treated by our then management was shocking, the fact he had come from none league and his age meant he needed a little more time to really get to the speed of the game, he was always going to be a good fit for somebody because of his natural ability and work rate but to be cast aside for premiership youngsters by a very set in his way manager was shocking, the lad was on peanuts and could of just as well been kept, as it turned out we could of made something of last season if we had still had him.

Short sighted and wasteful by a myopic management.
Hindsight eh. It’s a wonderful thing.
Because Alfie had a brilliant season with Cheltenham it is so easy now to say we dropped a clanger letting him go.
The fact is even with his brilliant attitude and hard work when he played with us he very very rarely produced an end product. How many assists did he provide and how many goals did he score in league games?
Yes he got a few in cup games I know but 4 of them were against Chorley who were 3 leagues below us or was it 4 at the time of that FA cup tie.

Admittedly Alfie wasn’t used in his best position but that was because we played 4-3-3 most of the time so with only 1 central striker he was played out wide.
At Cheltenham they played 4-4-2 mostly so Alfie played as a twin striker which suited his natural game.
The fact is Duff got him playing consistently week in week out and he flourished under his management.

Let’s be honest folks how many people thought he had it in him to score over 20 goals last season.
I think if we are all honest no one could have foreseen that outcome in League 1
National League maybe he might be a 1 in 3 goalscorer but to get 1 in 2 in League 1, well only BB could forsee that, but only because he has a crystal ball.
Hindsight ? It was very obvious to me that Alfie was improving, developing with every game admittedly he didn't get much of a chance here. At one of the meet the owners nights I had a chat with Alfie it was evident that his confidence was building but again he didn't get the opportunity that he deserved. I'm sure that he would have scored the very few goals that would have preserved our status last season.   

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 04, 2022, 10:29:07 am by danumdon »
Marquis is the better natural all round footballer. I wouldn’t say he’s lazy I would say he leaves a bit to the side at times. He’s a hard worker.
May gets the most out of himself by working hard. He isn’t a natural but has a great attitude.
You are guaranteed he will give his best every game. He wasn’t used well by us, Cheltenham have played him where he’s best, they got their rewards.

I must admit they way AM was treated by our then management was shocking, the fact he had come from none league and his age meant he needed a little more time to really get to the speed of the game, he was always going to be a good fit for somebody because of his natural ability and work rate but to be cast aside for premiership youngsters by a very set in his way manager was shocking, the lad was on peanuts and could of just as well been kept, as it turned out we could of made something of last season if we had still had him.

Short sighted and wasteful by a myopic management.
Hindsight eh. It’s a wonderful thing.
Because Alfie had a brilliant season with Cheltenham it is so easy now to say we dropped a clanger letting him go.
The fact is even with his brilliant attitude and hard work when he played with us he very very rarely produced an end product. How many assists did he provide and how many goals did he score in league games?
Yes he got a few in cup games I know but 4 of them were against Chorley who were 3 leagues below us or was it 4 at the time of that FA cup tie.

Admittedly Alfie wasn’t used in his best position but that was because we played 4-3-3 most of the time so with only 1 central striker he was played out wide.
At Cheltenham they played 4-4-2 mostly so Alfie played as a twin striker which suited his natural game.
The fact is Duff got him playing consistently week in week out and he flourished under his management.

Let’s be honest folks how many people thought he had it in him to score over 20 goals last season.
I think if we are all honest no one could have foreseen that outcome in League 1
National League maybe he might be a 1 in 3 goalscorer but to get 1 in 2 in League 1, well only BB could forsee that, but only because he has a crystal ball.
Hindsight ? It was very obvious to me that Alfie was improving, developing with every game admittedly he didn't get much of a chance here. At one of the meet the owners nights I had a chat with Alfie it was evident that his confidence was building but again he didn't get the opportunity that he deserved. I'm sure that he would have scored the very few goals that would have preserved our status last season.   

Exactly, we had a little golden nugget and he was let go by a great big turkey!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on July 04, 2022, 12:19:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I stood next to someone at Armthorpe yesterday and we got chatting about all things Rovers.
He told me he doesn’t rate Marquis and never has.
I said what about the 62 goals he scored in 3 consecutive seasons.
His reply was he was always moaning and if the ball didn’t come to his feet he had a tantrum. He also said Marquis would not play ball with Alfie May who he rated very highly.
He said Marquis was lazy, never tracked back and wasn’t a team player.
May worked hard and always tracked back.

Now I agree May worked hard but he played wide most of the time and that was his job.
Marquis played as our focal point up front so totally different but how can anyone  who watched Marquis week in week out say he was lazy is totally beyond me.
He worked his socks off for our team match after match.
Was a pain in the but to most defenders with his closing down and harrying defenders.
He hardly ever got subbed due to his fitness and value to the team for 90+mins

It just goes to show we all see different thing with footballers and teams.
One thing is the stats do show, while at DRFC Marquis was one of the best strikers the club has ever had.

The facts also show Alfie May was very average at DRFC.
Yes he has improved immensely at Cheltenham and was used as an out and out front man in a partnership up front. Different role to the one he had in 90% of his games at Rovers.
Good luck to him but he needs the right manager and team formation to play in if his success is going to continue imo.

You met BB?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 04, 2022, 01:25:37 pm by Campsall rover »
I stood next to someone at Armthorpe yesterday and we got chatting about all things Rovers.
He told me he doesn’t rate Marquis and never has.
I said what about the 62 goals he scored in 3 consecutive seasons.
His reply was he was always moaning and if the ball didn’t come to his feet he had a tantrum. He also said Marquis would not play ball with Alfie May who he rated very highly.
He said Marquis was lazy, never tracked back and wasn’t a team player.
May worked hard and always tracked back.

Now I agree May worked hard but he played wide most of the time and that was his job.
Marquis played as our focal point up front so totally different but how can anyone  who watched Marquis week in week out say he was lazy is totally beyond me.
He worked his socks off for our team match after match.
Was a pain in the but to most defenders with his closing down and harrying defenders.
He hardly ever got subbed due to his fitness and value to the team for 90+mins

It just goes to show we all see different thing with footballers and teams.
One thing is the stats do show, while at DRFC Marquis was one of the best strikers the club has ever had.

The facts also show Alfie May was very average at DRFC.
Yes he has improved immensely at Cheltenham and was used as an out and out front man in a partnership up front. Different role to the one he had in 90% of his games at Rovers.
Good luck to him but he needs the right manager and team formation to play in if his success is going to continue imo.

You met BB?
I have BST,  he sits in the row behind me at most home games.

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 05, 2022, 11:38:45 am by Plumbster »
I admire those that saw Alfie’s potential but for me he is unrecognisable from the player we saw, the intelligence of his runs, his first touch, the composure in front of goal were not something I saw much of with us.  The same is true of others who have gone on to become better players, Ennis is another, and it does beg the question for me whether we are very good at improving players- why for example can’t JT learn to show some composure in front of goal or when crossing.  I hope the new regime are better at improving what we have, as well as being better at recruitment.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012