Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:43:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Todays game  (Read 11177 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Todays game
« Reply #150 on July 04, 2022, 06:47:28 am by drfchound »
If we’ve signed Molyneux to play right wing, then I imagine Taylor will be his back up.

Molyneux - 43 games last season
Taylor - 3 games last season
Taylor can play left or right. Molyneux can also and he can play just behind the striker as a offensive midfielder.

I’m not sure how comfortable Taylor is playing on the left. Not sure he’s played there much (if at all?) for us.

Agreed on this.
I have hardly seen Taylor use his left foot so although he is very quick he isn’t going to be getting to the byline playing on the left and putting quality crosses into the box like he can do on the right.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #151 on July 04, 2022, 07:21:56 am by ncRover »
Based on his highlights Miller actually looks half decent in the air

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #152 on July 04, 2022, 08:40:24 am by Move DRFC »
Struggling to think of how we’d fit Taylor and Molyneux in the team unless we played 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2 with Molyneux in the middle behind the striker(s)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #153 on July 04, 2022, 08:51:16 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Not to put on here obviously, has anybody identified the other trialists?.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #155 on July 04, 2022, 09:52:04 am by Campsall rover »
Struggling to think of how we’d fit Taylor and Molyneux in the team unless we played 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2 with Molyneux in the middle behind the striker(s)
Play them both as the wide players I suppose. With 2 up top so 4-4-2
Clayton and Biggins or Rowe as centre midfielders.

I don’t think that’s how he will play though. Could be 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 which is the same.  Wing backs.
Or 4-1-4-1 or 4-1-3-2 or 4-2-3-1
Yes any or a mixture of those. I think we will be quite fluid really. We shouldn’t get obsessed with formations.
The players need to know their jobs and what their role is. Whether timid or fluid.
As SOD said the players need to think for themselves when in a game. Take responsibility.

Anderson, Clayton, Rowe, Taylor are huge players for us this season as the senior men and they must all show leadership.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #157 on July 04, 2022, 10:21:47 am by GazLaz »

I don’t think that’s how he will play though. Could be 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 which is the same.  Wing backs.
Yes any or a mixture of those. I think we will be quite fluid really. We shouldn’t get obsessed with formations.
The players need to know their jobs and what their role is. Whether timid or fluid.
As SOD said the players need to think for themselves when in a game. Take responsibility.

Anderson, Clayton, Rowe, Taylor are huge players for us this season as the senior men and they must all show leadership.

If Close is fit he has to play. He’s probably our best player.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #158 on July 04, 2022, 12:25:39 pm by Alan Southstand »
Maybe, on paper, at least. I don’t think we’ve seen enough to judge Close, yet.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #159 on July 04, 2022, 12:36:40 pm by GazLaz »
Maybe, on paper, at least. I don’t think we’ve seen enough to judge Close, yet.

He’s a certain starter, if fit.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #160 on July 04, 2022, 01:15:46 pm by Alan Southstand »
I agree Gaz, but I’m reserving judgement on him as we’ve not seen him yet, this pre-season, and we don’t know what his conditioning (physical or mental) is. That’s all I’m saying.

I don’t need to remind anyone of how many ‘quality’ players we didn’t have available last season, hence my trepidation!

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #161 on July 04, 2022, 01:54:17 pm by Plumbster »
Just seen that GMc is giving Ravenhill a lot of praise from Saturday but not noticed any mention on here from those that went.  Would be great if he has made a big step forward from last year.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #162 on July 04, 2022, 01:55:40 pm by Campsall rover »

If Close is fit he has to play. He’s probably our best player.
Yes I agree with you. I have been one of his biggest supporters on this forum.
I didn’t mention Close in my previous post because he won’t be playing it would seem at the start of the season.
If we have a full compliment of midfielders and wide players fit and available then GM has some tough decisions to make as to what his best midfield trio or quartet will be. Maybe he will play 5 midfielders with 1 up front. Then his decision will be easier.

Personally I would like to see 2 front players this season in most games. Don’t think Griffiths, Miller or Agard are suited to the lone striker role.

It would just be great to have a relatively injury free season and then GM has options.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #163 on July 04, 2022, 02:02:25 pm by Campsall rover »
Just seen that GMc is giving Ravenhill a lot of praise from Saturday but not noticed any mention on here from those that went.  Would be great if he has made a big step forward from last year.
Yes he had a decent game. Very busy 1st half and was one of our better players on the day.
He still looks 15 yrs old and not much on him.
Not sure his physique would mean he would cope with the physicality of League 2 football.
He needs to bulk up a bit i think if he is going to make an EFL player.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #164 on July 04, 2022, 03:07:33 pm by Alan Southstand »
Never even noticed him first half, as it was all a bit messy and a scrap. GM is welcome to his opinion, but he didn’t make an impression on me. The eye opener was Faulkner, until Miller came on!

Very disappointed that we didn’t see the other new lads, Biggins and Molyneux, as I was interested to see what difference they’d make. Talking to a few there, on Saturday, they were of the same opinion.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #165 on July 04, 2022, 03:33:34 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
He might go with wing backs. Play a solid three at the back(if we’ve got one!). Knoyle down the right, new left back other side.
One holding midfielder with Tommy Rowe in there as well, plus either Taylor just behind with Molyneux playing off a striker, or Molyneux the man behind and the other way around.
We are just missing a few signings to add to what we have, it’s important any coming in are good quality.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #166 on July 04, 2022, 03:46:32 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I may be wrong but a midfield combo of Clayton, Close and Biggins could be the real engine room, with Clayton predominately in the anchor role with Close being very busy linking things up  finding spaces and threading passes, whilst Biggins sounds more like a ball carrier who can punch holes in defences, creating space for others.

If it is a midfield 3 then we could seeca forward line of Molyneux, Griffiths and Miller. This ofcourse could be backed up with Rowe in either a no 10 role or left side midfield and Taylor competing with Molyneux coming in from the right.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #168 on July 04, 2022, 04:37:12 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
I may be wrong but a midfield combo of Clayton, Close and Biggins could be the real engine room, with Clayton predominately in the anchor role with Close being very busy linking things up  finding spaces and threading passes, whilst Biggins sounds more like a ball carrier who can punch holes in defences, creating space for others.

If it is a midfield 3 then we could seeca forward line of Molyneux, Griffiths and Miller. This ofcourse could be backed up with Rowe in either a no 10 role or left side midfield and Taylor competing with Molyneux coming in from the right.

He could go with Tommy Rowe at left back and play that combination. Personally think we can get more from Tommy centrally. We’ve got a few more options, that’s positive after last season.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #169 on July 04, 2022, 05:19:19 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
IMO if you play 442 with Taylor and Molyneux you'd be too open. I'd play Rowe wide left of the 4 so he can tuck in if needed then it's between Molyneux and Taylor for the right right spot.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #170 on July 04, 2022, 05:52:29 pm by Alan Southstand »
We have to start thinking in terms of having a first team of 16 players, not 11. The new subs rule means our competitors will be taking full advantage of this.

We need at least 3 / 4 more signings and they need to be good ones.

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #171 on July 04, 2022, 07:05:41 pm by Move DRFC »

Yep don't mind this. 433 with Close Biggins/Clayton and Rowe with Molyneux Griff and Miller in a front 3, can easily turn into a 442 with rowe taking up left mid position. Just gotta be fluid with it. Can go to and from 442 & 433.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #172 on July 04, 2022, 07:10:47 pm by Copps is Magic »

Yep don't mind this. 433 with Close Biggins/Clayton and Rowe with Molyneux Griff and Miller in a front 3, can easily turn into a 442 with rowe taking up left mid position. Just gotta be fluid with it. Can go to and from 442 & 433.

Nowhere near fast enough, no where near physical enough. 3 small, technical players who the opposition would run through.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #173 on July 04, 2022, 07:33:46 pm by scawsby steve »

Nowhere near fast enough, no where near physical enough. 3 small, technical players who the opposition would run through.

I tend to agree with you there. Also, Griffiths hasn't proved himself yet to be regarded as a possible regular starter.

I still think we need another striker signing on.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #174 on July 04, 2022, 07:41:34 pm by Jonathan »

I wouldn’t describe Clayton as a small technical player. He may not be 6ft+ but he’s tough and battle hardened and I doubt anyone will run through him. Point taken that he won’t cover the ground he maybe once did, though. I’d like to see a midfielder come in that likes a tackle and can get around the pitch. 

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #175 on July 04, 2022, 08:20:57 pm by roversdude »
Ravenhill was very good in the second half but (and no disrespect) it was against Armthorpe Welfare, he didn’t stand out in the first half but then again nobody did

TinyPortal © 2005-2012