Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:04:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Todays game  (Read 11180 times)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: Todays game
« Reply #90 on July 02, 2022, 07:55:40 pm by roversdude »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on July 02, 2022, 08:02:58 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
He is a good prospect, I think he will do well with us.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on July 02, 2022, 08:08:42 pm by vaya »

Hopefully even better when he has the top of his head replaced.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on July 02, 2022, 08:22:44 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Are you saying he’s got a fifty pence head? .

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on July 02, 2022, 08:23:56 pm by Chris Black come back »
Well Bobby’s mother was proud of her lad and every reason to be, she was stood next to us telling young lads her son was number 35. Big prospect young Faulkner

Not sure how this lad is going to learn much from the senior players. It’s a massively unconvincing defensive unit and we have both no left back at all and a right back who didn’t shoot the lights out last season, out injured for several weeks. In addition the supposed defensive lynchpin appears to be struggling to shake off a long term injury.

Still, a clean sheet today.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on July 02, 2022, 08:43:52 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

Sammy how do you know he’s a good prospect? Have you seen him play or any knowledge of him before today? Just interested as to how you can know so much about so many players. Is it just reviewing stats or are you watching lots on the development circuit

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on July 02, 2022, 09:41:01 pm by steve@dcfd »
Why would York release such a good prospect??

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on July 02, 2022, 09:57:30 pm by Sammy Chung was King »

Sammy how do you know he’s a good prospect? Have you seen him play or any knowledge of him before today? Just interested as to how you can know so much about so many players. Is it just reviewing stats or are you watching lots on the development circuit

I’m talking about Faulkner, don’t know anything about the new kid.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on July 02, 2022, 11:06:34 pm by Alan Southstand »
The No7 (Jack) looked completely out of his depth, which is no surprise if he’s been released by York). Why are we looking at him?

As Camps has already said, Taylor seems to have traded football for Rugby - all his ‘shots’ were way over!

Agree re young Faulkner - looks a prospect. But please don’t tell me big Tom is going to be out. We definitely need his experience at the back.

The rest:
Miller looks a lively addition and I think will be a big improvement up top.
Griffiths needs to see Slimming World - he must be a stone overweight!
We still need a target man - Griffiths isn’t that.
Tommy one or two flashes but a bit rusty (no surprise).

Shame we didn’t see Biggins and Molyneux - anyone know why? They may add a bit of quality?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on July 02, 2022, 11:51:58 pm by GazLaz »
The No7 (Jack) looked completely out of his depth, which is no surprise if he’s been released by York). Why are we looking at him?

As Camps has already said, Taylor seems to have traded football for Rugby - all his ‘shots’ were way over!

Agree re young Faulkner - looks a prospect. But please don’t tell me big Tom is going to be out. We definitely need his experience at the back.

The rest:

Shame we didn’t see Biggins and Molyneux - anyone know why? They may add a bit of quality?

As a follower of Reo on Instagram and seeing some of his summer workout videos, if he’s overweight there’s no hope for the rest of us.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on July 03, 2022, 12:56:55 am by Alan Southstand »
He was blowing out of his backside after about 30 minutes, Gaz! Still, early days.

Not a target man, though.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on July 03, 2022, 07:32:56 am by colincramb »

The rest:

Hopefully Reo doesn’t read this forum. Massively personal comment to make.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on July 03, 2022, 08:16:43 am by ncRover »
Couldn’t make the game. How did Dunne look?

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on July 03, 2022, 08:28:44 am by 5minstogo »

The pitch didn't help him but he got forward well. Definitely more attack minded, needed Mitchell screaming at him constantly to get back in to shape.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on July 03, 2022, 09:04:46 am by Campsall rover »

The pitch didn't help him but he got forward well. Definitely more attack minded, needed Mitchell screaming at him constantly to get back in to shape.
Agree with what you say about Dunne although
we don’t know how good at defending he is because he wasn’t really tested.

The hard pitch didn’t help anyone
Took 2 or 3 touches sometimes to get the ball under control.

My memories of the Nuneaton pitch would suggest same again next week.
It was awful when we played them in the Conference some 21 yrs or so years ago.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 09:07:30 am by Campsall rover »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on July 03, 2022, 09:07:26 am by roversdude »
Reo has bulked up a bit but not overweight, that’s the idea of pre season games isn’t ? To get game time into legs
I agree however, Reo is not a target man and needs someone up top with him

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on July 03, 2022, 09:16:51 am by Campsall rover »
I have to say Reo did look a bit heavy.
Whether it is weight or muscle difficult to tell but he looked more like a light heavy weight boxer than a football striker.
The fact is he did look very heavy legged yesterday and When Miller came on 2nd half he made Reo’s sprinting look very sedate.
I am being polite here.

Yes 1st game and I am not making any serious judgment on fitness until the last pre season game.
That’s when we need 99.9% fitness from hopefully at least 90% of the squad.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on July 03, 2022, 09:20:52 am by Rovers91 »
Reo definitely isn't overweight, match minutes are definitely different to training. The more match minutes he gets in him the fitter he will get but he will get upto speed.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on July 03, 2022, 09:22:59 am by RoversAlias »
Reo never has been a target man, and up to now he hasn't been played as one. I'm not convinced we will play in a way necessitating such a player anyway under McSheffrey.

Makes me laugh also seeing the comments about Taylor needing shooting practice. That has always been the weakest point in his game, he can't finish for toffee. I'm just glad he's fit to play after the 18 months he's had.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on July 03, 2022, 09:36:03 am by Campsall rover »
Reo never has been a target man, and up to now he hasn't been played as one. I'm not convinced we will play in a way necessitating such a player anyway under McSheffrey.

Makes me laugh also seeing the comments about Taylor needing shooting practice. That has always been the weakest point in his game, he can't finish for toffee. I'm just glad he's fit to play after the 18 months he's had.
He played left wing/midfield first 30 mins and twin striker with Reo for last 15 mins of 1st half
Went off at half time.
He is rusty but has ability to score 8/10 goals this season.
The pitch didn’t help him but practice on finishing will be a must this next 3 weeks or so.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on July 03, 2022, 09:48:28 am by RoversAlias »

He played left wing/midfield first 30 mins and twin striker with Reo for last 15 mins of 1st half
Went off at half time.
The pitch didn’t help him but practice on finishing will be a must this next 3 weeks or so.

He has only scored double figures once in his career, and that was as part of a Peterborough team which scored 82 goals - joint most in League One that year - playing in a very creative, attacking side.

Taylor will be 30 years old when the season starts, is coming off a very serious long-term injury, and has scored at an average of around 1 in 6 throughout his career. If he somehow plays most of this season's games, that works out to around 7 goals. The only qualifier to that may be that he hasn't played as low as League Two since very early in his career.

I like Tayls, he brings directness and drive to the side. But no amount of finishing practice this summer is going to change the fact that he just isn't a strong goal threat and never will be.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on July 03, 2022, 09:55:08 am by selby »
  The squad plus the u18s and the first year u18s not involved yesterday had a full training session at Cantley Park before yesterdays game.
   The first year u18s  stayed at Cantley to do conditioning gym work while the squad and second year u18s travelled to Armthorpe  for the game, Agard and Fej also stayed at Cantley doing Gym work.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on July 03, 2022, 09:57:12 am by Filo »
I get the feeling if Fej’s fitness holds and theres no reaction to the original injury he’ll be offered a deal

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on July 03, 2022, 10:02:33 am by Campsall rover »

Went off at half time.

He has only scored double figures once in his career, and that was as part of a Peterborough team which scored 82 goals - joint most in League One that year - playing in a very creative, attacking side.

Taylor will be 30 years old when the season starts, is coming off a very serious long-term injury, and has scored at an average of around 1 in 6 throughout his career. If he somehow plays most of this season's games, that works out to around 7 goals. The only qualifier to that may be that he hasn't played as low as League Two since very early in his career.

I like Tayls, he brings directness and drive to the side. But no amount of finishing practice this summer is going to change the fact that he just isn't a strong goal threat and never will be.
“And never will be”
Sorry Alias you have just contradicted yourself there haven’t you?
You have just posted that he scored double figure goals in one season for Peterborough. I also think he got 8/9 one season for Rotherham.

He hasn’t played in League 2 for some time if ever. Not sure if he had a season with Rotherham at that level some years ago, but to say he won’t score 8/10 goals in league 2 could of course prove to be correct Alias, but to say categorically that he won’t do it is imo a bit silly.

If he plays 40 games ( starts ) then I will back him to get 8 this season. Even allowing for his wayward shooting yesterday.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on July 03, 2022, 10:06:02 am by roversdude »
Strange that the original diagnosis for Fej was flat feet - really hope he gets his career back on track

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on July 03, 2022, 10:21:26 am by DearneValleyRover »
If Fej gets back to his pre injury fitness then we would be foolish not to offer him a contract, we aren’t going to get a potential 15+ goal scorer for nothing

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on July 03, 2022, 10:23:31 am by RoversAlias »

Went off at half time.

“And never will be”
You have just posted that he scored double figure goals in one season for Peterborough. I also think he got 8/9 one season for Rotherham.

He hasn’t played in League 2 for some time if ever. Not sure if he had a season with Rotherham at that level some years ago, but to say he won’t score 8/10 goals in league 2 could of course prove to be correct Alias, but to say categorically that he won’t do it is imo a bit silly.

If he plays 40 games ( starts ) then I will back him to get 8 this season. Even allowing for his wayward shooting yesterday.

He played in League Two in his first couple of seasons as a senior pro, at Shrewsbury. When they won promotion in 2012, he didn't score a single goal despite playing in 36 games.

Tayls also scored exactly 4 league goals in each of his three seasons at Rotherham, despite playing 40+ games in two of those seasons. When we signed him, I spoke to some Rotherham fans for ITEN and their report was that he'd be popular because he'd run and run all day, but don't expect any end product from him because he can't finish and he doesn't score enough goals. That proved to be true when he played for us, he often got into the box but just wouldn't finish chances - he's missed some absolute glaring sitters for us and it sounds like he was wayward with his shooting again yesterday.

The fact is that Taylor doesn't score many goals despite being a forward/winger, and if he plays the 40 games this season that will probably be required for him to reach that goal tally you're touting Camps, it will be a very impressive feat considering his recent injury history. We can't be expecting success in 2022/23 if Taylor is going to be one of our main attacking threats.

Again, I like him but his strengths are not in front of goal.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on July 03, 2022, 12:03:43 pm by Campsall rover »

Went off at half time.

“And never will be”

He played in League Two in his first couple of seasons as a senior pro, at Shrewsbury. When they won promotion in 2012, he didn't score a single goal despite playing in 36 games.

Tayls also scored exactly 4 league goals in each of his three seasons at Rotherham, despite playing 40+ games in two of those seasons. When we signed him, I spoke to some Rotherham fans for ITEN and their report was that he'd be popular because he'd run and run all day, but don't expect any end product from him because he can't finish and he doesn't score enough goals. That proved to be true when he played for us, he often got into the box but just wouldn't finish chances - he's missed some absolute glaring sitters for us and  it sounds like he was wayward with his shooting again yesterday.

The fact is that Taylor doesn't score many goals despite being a forward/winger, and if he plays the 40 games this season that will probably be required for him to reach that goal tally you're touting Camps, it will be a very impressive feat considering his recent injury history. We can't be expecting success in 2022/23 if Taylor is going to be one of our main attacking threats.

Again, I like him but his strengths are not in front of goal.
I accept what you say. His goal scoring record is not great.
It was just the words you used “and never will be” were a bit over the top Alias.  No problem  :)

The big problem is getting him on the field for 40 games in a season.
He will be an attacking threat though Alias if he stays fit. Assists will be a plenty in league 2 that I am very confident of.
How many goals he will get. Well that’s up for debate I accept.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on July 03, 2022, 12:09:41 pm by ncRover »
If we’ve signed Molyneux to play right wing, then I imagine Taylor will be his back up.

Molyneux - 43 games last season
Taylor - 3 games last season

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on July 03, 2022, 12:14:17 pm by Campsall rover »
If we’ve signed Molyneux to play right wing, then I imagine Taylor will be his back up.

Molyneux - 43 games last season
Taylor - 3 games last season
Taylor can play left or right. Molyneux can also and he can play just behind the striker as a offensive midfielder.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012