Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:41:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Todays game  (Read 11058 times)

ncRover

• Forum Member
Re: Todays game
« Reply #120 on July 03, 2022, 12:21:38 pm by ncRover »
If we’ve signed Molyneux to play right wing, then I imagine Taylor will be his back up.

Molyneux - 43 games last season
Taylor - 3 games last season
Taylor can play left or right. Molyneux can also and he can play just behind the striker as a offensive midfielder.

I like the sound of that.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on July 03, 2022, 12:55:59 pm by jmt23 »
I agree with RA about Taylor, he loses his head in front of goal, and it all becomes a bit rash from him - good finishers relax in front of goal, others get too excited.

I also agree about Reo, he is very similar to Fej, they are not back to goal men. Slide them in, or give them the ball in the box.

The winger situation sounds like when we first got back into the league, wingers switching throughout the game.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on July 03, 2022, 01:03:14 pm by graingrover »
That full kit looks great !

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on July 03, 2022, 01:07:50 pm by Campsall rover »
That full kit looks great !
Yes it is a proper Rovers kit. Bought mine and Grandsons yesterday morning.
Like the white shorts and socks with red trim in the socks also.
My favoured strip this one as it is.

Great work Rovers. They will sell plenty I am sure.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 11:28:55 pm by Campsall rover »

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on July 03, 2022, 01:34:53 pm by NickDRFC »
If we’ve signed Molyneux to play right wing, then I imagine Taylor will be his back up.

Taylor can play left or right. Molyneux can also and he can play just behind the striker as a offensive midfielder.

I’m not sure how comfortable Taylor is playing on the left. Not sure he’s played there much (if at all?) for us.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on July 03, 2022, 01:52:02 pm by Campsall rover »

Played ok yesterday because kept cutting in on his right foot and getting shots off. He had more shots 2/3 times as many as anyone else.
Played quite a few games in the league on the left early in his Rovers career and several in the Micky mouse cup matches when he played.
Quite like him rotating left and right and if Molyneux can do the same that would cause problems for full backs. Gives us options to change things if a full back has got one or both of them in his pocket.
We need plan A, B & C unless plan A works 100% of the time in 100% of the matches.

I’m not sure how comfortable Taylor is playing on the left. Not sure he’s played there much (if at all?) for us.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on July 03, 2022, 01:56:05 pm by Campsall rover »
Above post tagged on to one before. Mistake. Not writing it out again.  :facepalm:
Starts with “ played ok yesterday”
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 01:58:08 pm by Campsall rover »

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on July 03, 2022, 02:48:26 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Could be worse…

Alfreton 0-0 Sheffield Wednesday

i checked out the Wendies team although they did an "all change second half "they had proper players playing --whilst Alfreton had that grappling centre forward Matt Rhead (X Lincoln wrestler) playing center half

wendies version of the match

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/season-underway-and-a-reyt-lovely-day-out-sheffield-wednesday-get-miles-in-the-legs-at-alfreton-town-3754151

alfreton version

https://www.alfretontownfootballclub.com/news/match-report--alfreton-town-00-sheffield-wednesday-2711942.html

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on July 03, 2022, 02:58:43 pm by Move DRFC »
Physicality.

An outstanding and obvious weakness of the squad.

Thats been a problem for so long now. Last season we got bullied week in week out, too many lightweight players. Agree with the above we need defensive reinforcements and a defensive minded/dominant midfielder.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on July 03, 2022, 03:03:52 pm by ncRover »
When Fejiri played out wide was he on the left or right? Can’t remember what foot he is.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on July 03, 2022, 03:24:10 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Could be worse…

Alfreton 0-0 Sheffield Wednesday

Better than the last time they played them in a friendly in 2011 when they lost 14-0.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on July 03, 2022, 04:13:21 pm by Alan Southstand »
Fej usually strayed out to the left.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on July 03, 2022, 04:21:08 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
If fit i would have Taylor on the right, Molyneux on the left, let’s have some attacking, entertaining football.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on July 03, 2022, 05:18:18 pm by DonnyOsmond »
If fit i would have Taylor on the right, Molyneux on the left, let’s have some attacking, entertaining football.

Molyneux hasn't ever really played on the left before and the best part of his game is cutting in on his left from that right wing. He's more an inside forward than a winger.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on July 03, 2022, 05:36:16 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
I just think get some width and go for it. I’m sure he is intelligent enough to adapt. Get some crosses in the box from wide.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on July 03, 2022, 05:43:30 pm by ncRover »
Could have a fluid attacking midfield 3 of Rowe Molyneux Taylor behind the striker as each can play 2 different positions.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on July 03, 2022, 06:11:55 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I just think get some width and go for it. I’m sure he is intelligent enough to adapt. Get some crosses in the box from wide.

Then bring in someone where crossing is historically his game, like Ash Hunter, not someone who's never played that role. :laugh:

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on July 03, 2022, 06:37:09 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Personally want to see 2 central strikers this season. So that leaves one of Rowe, LM or Taylor on the bench.

Can see GM going 433 like he tried last season but we just end up having 1 up and not looking a threat. Unless we are going to be able to sustain pressure long enough to actually make it a 3 up top then just go 442 imo. Keep it simple everyone knows where they stand and gives plenty of out balls into space for strikers which looks like it'll suit Miller.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on July 03, 2022, 06:40:00 pm by Sammy Chung was King »

Then bring in someone where crossing is historically his game, like Ash Hunter, not someone who's never played that role. :laugh:

Are you his relative, Donny?. :lol:

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on July 03, 2022, 07:32:16 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Which? TBF I'm not related to either! I just find building a football team is a simple thing made not simple when people try to put square shapes in round holes, like when Chelsea signed Lukaku.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on July 03, 2022, 08:18:52 pm by Chris Black come back »
We haven’t got players who can put the ball into the box from wide positions and we haven’t got players who can finish these balls. This you would imagine would be why we won’t be playing anything like that formation.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #141 on July 03, 2022, 08:33:35 pm by ravenrover »
Snag was Sedwards he also tried to play 3 at the back which didn't seem to go very well with the players we had, and we've still got them for this season

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on July 03, 2022, 08:48:25 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Yeah 3 at the back could look good for us on paper but needs proper coaching to get right. Trying it midseason was always going to be a big ask.

For GM i'd maintain when in doubt, or not really knowing what your doing, go 442 keep it simple. Every player knows their role and it can balance nicely between defending in numbers and having out balls.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on July 03, 2022, 10:29:16 pm by Sammy Chung was King »

Which? TBF I'm not related to either! I just find building a football team is a simple thing made not simple when people try to put square shapes in round holes, like when Chelsea signed Lukaku.

Only a joke mate, just because you’ve mentioned Hunter a few times. Sounds like you rate him highly. I don’t know of him, who does he play for?.
I’m just really old fashioned , I love wingers playing on the side of their natural foot. You’re right about square pegs though .

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on July 03, 2022, 11:04:58 pm by danumdon »
Some of the ribbing that Taylor has got from people watching him at Armthorpe is very short sighted,the guy has had a dreadful 18 months and hopefully can get back to something like his old self, I don't mind him missing a few chances in the first pre season game, the fact he gets into the positions can only be a good thing for when he has some fitness into  his legs.

Massive miss for us last season, could have a really big say in this league.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on July 03, 2022, 11:43:04 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
He needs to build confidence, fitness, strength and get his Coordination back to how it was. A long process for him .

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #146 on July 03, 2022, 11:59:23 pm by Campsall rover »
Some of the ribbing that Taylor has got from people watching him at Armthorpe is very short sighted,the guy has had a dreadful 18 months and hopefully can get back to something like his old self, I don't mind him missing a few chances in the first pre season game, the fact he gets into the positions can only be a good thing for when he has some fitness into  his legs.

Massive miss for us last season, could have a really big say in this league.
You maybe referring to me as one of those posters.
Well it wasn’t ribbing him just commenting on the facts of the game. Yes he missed the target with his shooting but at least he was shooting. If you don’t you don’t score. So credit to him.
The fact is he is well short of match fitness of course and that is to be expected as he p,aged only 2 games I think last season ( stand to be corrected if that’s incorrect )
I like Jon Taylor and when he gets up to speed he will be a huge player for us this season.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 12:01:56 am by Campsall rover »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on July 04, 2022, 12:13:35 am by RoversAlias »

Only a joke mate, just because you’ve mentioned Hunter a few times. Sounds like you rate him highly. I don’t know of him, who does he play for?.
I’m just really old fashioned , I love wingers playing on the side of their natural foot. You’re right about square pegs though .

It is curious that you can consistently name obscure nobody footballers from far flung leagues and countries, yet a well known player who has played over 200 games in Leagues One and Two in the last decade, often including against Rovers, is someone you aren't aware of.

The way the game is played nowadays also, it is rare for teams to play with wingers operating on the side of their strong foot. The days of just running to the byline because you're faster than the full-back and crossing it in are over. It is much better to face up a defender and get him onto his weak foot, or pull a defensive line out of position by cutting across to the inside, especially with the way that full-backs have become much more adept technically as ball-players in the last 20 years.

If Ryan Giggs came through the youth ranks today, he would play on the right and David Beckham would play on the left. It's curious, but times change as the game develops and different tactical and individual styles take hold.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #148 on July 04, 2022, 05:34:01 am by DearneValleyRover »
We have to remember that 5 subs can be used this season, I would expect a lot of rotation happening so players being on the bench isn’t going to be an issue, I’m expecting certain players to be asked to bust a guy for 60 mins and be replaced.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on July 04, 2022, 06:07:34 am by Sammy Chung was King »

It is curious that you can consistently name obscure nobody footballers from far flung leagues and countries, yet a well known player who has played over 200 games in Leagues One and Two in the last decade, often including against Rovers, is someone you aren't aware of.

The way the game is played nowadays also, it is rare for teams to play with wingers operating on the side of their strong foot. The days of just running to the byline because you're faster than the full-back and crossing it in are over. It is much better to face up a defender and get him onto his weak foot, or pull a defensive line out of position by cutting across to the inside, especially with the way that full-backs have become much more adept technically as ball-players in the last 20 years.

If Ryan Giggs came through the youth ranks today, he would play on the right and David Beckham would play on the left. It's curious, but times change as the game develops and different tactical and individual styles take hold.

I’ve not noticed him, nothing curious about that really. Yes it’s the way football is now. Arjen Robben was the first I remember cutting inside from wide. I do think the old style wingers will make a comeback. Clubs like players to cut inside as it gives them extra in the midfield . It’s ideal if you have a winger that can go either way. Not many of those around.

Cutting inside allows the winger to be more of a goal threat. Whereas the old way, it was about crossing a ball by getting the edge on your immediate opponent. It does create uncertainty in defences, the winger cutting inside. Does the defender come out of position to face up the challenge, or drop off and fill the gaps they can go into.
It would be good if you had a crosser of the ball on one wing, the other cutting in and being a threat on goal.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012