Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 04:07:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Maxwell signs!  (Read 5746 times)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: Maxwell signs!
« Reply #30 on July 21, 2022, 06:04:02 pm by Alan Southstand »
One down, two to go?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 21, 2022, 06:04:30 pm by les@donr »
What's happening with Hurst?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on July 21, 2022, 06:05:12 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Doh. Didn't think they would announce two good news stories in one day. The away kit then.....

Maybe more to come tomorrow?
You’ll probably know it’s like this site knowledge is power keep the others in the dark until we tell them.

I don't know much but I do know they like to toy with us from time to time.

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 21, 2022, 06:06:17 pm by Batleyred »
Confirmed on FB page

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 21, 2022, 06:06:41 pm by steve@dcfd »
Well done to all concerned now it’s official

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 21, 2022, 06:08:54 pm by Jonathan »
Excellent news. Not sure if I just heard a rumble of thunder or if it was a shift in the atmospheric pressure from Alan Southstand and Steve@DCFD ;-)
Is this real you have dig John I’d say I wanted him to sign but I’m not sure if it real video

Come on Steve you know me better than that I’m having a joke! Got a lot of time for you and Alan even though we don’t always agree.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on July 21, 2022, 06:15:05 pm by steve@dcfd »
Excellent news. Not sure if I just heard a rumble of thunder or if it was a shift in the atmospheric pressure from Alan Southstand and Steve@DCFD ;-)
Is this real you have dig John I’d say I wanted him to sign but I’m not sure if it real video

Come on Steve you know me better than that I’m having a joke! Got a lot of time for you and Alan even though we don’t always agree.
I know that that’s why liked your post

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on July 21, 2022, 06:16:20 pm by steve@dcfd »
I believe the other two have signed or very near listen to GMC but they don’t want it to come out.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on July 21, 2022, 06:19:41 pm by Donnybax »
Thank god we have a left back

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on July 21, 2022, 06:20:52 pm by Jonathan »
I believe the other two have signed or very near listen to GMC but they don’t want it to come out.

What was said? I won’t get the chance to listen back til later

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on July 21, 2022, 06:24:18 pm by jmt23 »
He said he was reasonably confident, but it sounded like we have reached our limit of what we will offer. They expect an answer pretty quick, or we move on.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on July 21, 2022, 06:25:25 pm by roversdude »
Said they’ve offered a deal to Tomlin and will adapt his training so he can enjoy his time and his family, apparently he could earn £500+ more but he’d be expected to play every minute and be training full time
Hurst we’ve been talking to his representatives and Birmingham

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on July 21, 2022, 06:25:46 pm by Filo »
We should all spare a thought for Since1969, this is tragig news for him, given there will be a fee involved

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on July 21, 2022, 06:29:42 pm by ncRover »
Amazing!

Look forward to seeing him and Knoyle bombing forwards.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on July 21, 2022, 06:30:11 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Buzzing. Thought it looked like the chance had gone but he sounds like he wanted to be here from the off which is a good look.

Genuinely we aren't far off now. Probably only just the winger Hurst and then Tomlin as a bonus and we're done imo. We can't expect to have the depth of a Prem side and maintain a decent quality at this level.

Also a big plus for me is lack of loanees. The one we have looks like we'd have a chance of keeping and if Hurst is a loan you'd say the same about him. The last few years have given me loan fatigue. A positive about lack of loans also is that should we need to we have plenty of spaces for loans in Jan if we're in an emergency. Better than having 5 places taken already

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on July 21, 2022, 06:32:16 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Said they’ve offered a deal to Tomlin and will adapt his training so he can enjoy his time and his family, apparently he could earn £500+ more but he’d be expected to play every minute and be training full time

Read that about Tomlin. Not sure how i feel about it. Fair enough older players have different training routines (i'm sure copps would have) but i expect them all to run their b*llocks off. Don't like the idea of too much special treatment. Up to Tomlin to make himself worth the special treatment though

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on July 21, 2022, 06:50:50 pm by rover-n-out »
Fantastic news, welcome James, sounds like you've got a lot of admirer's on here, before you've kicked a ball in anger.
We all look forward to seeing you develop into our next million £ + player. Enjoy your time with us.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on July 21, 2022, 06:57:21 pm by Spud »
Great news, the away shirt has obviously swung it for him.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on July 21, 2022, 07:06:57 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Read that about Tomlin. Not sure how i feel about it. Fair enough older players have different training routines (i'm sure copps would have) but i expect them all to run their b*llocks off. Don't like the idea of too much special treatment. Up to Tomlin to make himself worth the special treatment though

Exactly right. Other players will soon lose that respect if he doesn't produce. Sounds like they've already integrated him and he's been giving enough to maintain that respect.

As said, I'm sure Copps only knows too well how that dynamic should work.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on July 21, 2022, 07:23:17 pm by bedale rover »
I remember a time when this thread would have been a picture of a sign with 'Maxwell' written on it.

Couldn't be arsed to do that!

jm291

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on July 21, 2022, 07:27:26 pm by jm291 »
The next Andy Robertson!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on July 21, 2022, 07:30:35 pm by Chris Black come back »
We’ve had some great Scot defenders. Dougie, Sutherland, Nicol, Quinn. Maybe not Gary MacKenzie.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on July 21, 2022, 07:31:39 pm by Jonathan »

Exactly right. Other players will soon lose that respect if he doesn't produce. Sounds like they've already integrated him and he's been giving enough to maintain that respect.

Didn’t Copps have tailored training programmes in his later years too? I think it’s a sensible and fairly common practice. I don’t think Copps was ever resented for it, and it enabled him to perform at his best. If we can get the best from Tomlin (and I accept it’s a big if - there’s always risk) then we would have a player that’s one of the most dangerous in the division.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on July 21, 2022, 07:38:12 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

Didn’t Copps have tailored training programmes in his later years too? I think it’s a sensible and fairly common practice. I don’t think Copps was ever resented for it, and it enabled him to perform at his best. If we can get the best from Tomlin (and I accept it’s a big if - there’s always risk) then we would have a player that’s one of the most dangerous in the division.

It's more the comment about covering every blade of grass for me. If Tomlin has a different routine it should be so he can cover every blade of grass. This just sounds a bit like we'll pay you less but it's an easy life sell.

Won't be a problem if we're winning games but if we start losing and Tomlin doesn't have to work as hard it'll alienate other players. Clayton and Rowe are a similar age. Why should they cover every blade of grass if Tomlin doesn't have to.

I know i'm reading way too much into it and i really hope we get him. Just hope it's managed well because he has the ability to be the best player in the division. Also think we're well stocked enough up to with up front to take a risk on Tomlin.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on July 21, 2022, 07:45:41 pm by RoversAlias »
I don't want Tomlin to cover every blade of grass, why would he? It isn't his style to bust a gut every game and we wouldn't need him to in the role he'd play.

I'm not sure we should sign him, but that's a different debate.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on July 21, 2022, 07:47:38 pm by graingrover »
The young trialist who played against Wakefield wore 14 is surely a probable too.I believe he was a youth teamed but badly injured so was not offered a pro contract end of season .

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on July 21, 2022, 07:50:59 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

It's more the comment about covering every blade of grass for me. If Tomlin has a different routine it should be so he can cover every blade of grass. This just sounds a bit like we'll pay you less but it's an easy life sell.

Won't be a problem if we're winning games but if we start losing and Tomlin doesn't have to work as hard it'll alienate other players. Clayton and Rowe are a similar age. Why should they cover every blade of grass if Tomlin doesn't have to.

I know i'm reading way too much into it and i really hope we get him. Just hope it's managed well because he has the ability to be the best player in the division. Also think we're well stocked enough up to with up front to take a risk on Tomlin.

Yes that's the risk. As I said about him before, he's one of those players who can give us that extra ingredient, just as Copps did. Potential to be a crowd favourite but also a risk it could go the other way as you say.

Yesterday when I heard McSheffrey, when asked about the chances of Tomlin signing, he blew his lips  which I Interpreted as 50/50. Today, in that RS interview, I got the impression it's more 75/25 in our favour.

On Maxwell, I do like a bit of Scottish tenacity. We've done well there and as all the new signings have said, the way we've gone about things has impressed them.

Smell the Coffee. Maxwell is in the House!!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on July 21, 2022, 07:51:02 pm by Chris Black come back »
If the four long term injured were back any time soon, there is no need to sign anyone else permanently. It’s a big squad we have with lots of senior players. Given what McSheffrey said about timelines for return, I’d be tempted to close the books now. We’re well covered everywhere already if people are back fit.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on July 21, 2022, 07:52:42 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I don't want Tomlin to cover every blade of grass, why would he? It isn't his style to bust a gut every game and we wouldn't need him to in the role he'd play.

I'm not sure we should sign him, but that's a different debate.

Your right at L2 maybe we get away with that so long as he makes a difference going forward. But modern football is getting so much better. Teams can't afford to carry players not working off the ball. You see it at the top level and it's the same the further down you go to a lesser and lesser extent.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on July 21, 2022, 07:59:46 pm by roversdude »
The young trialist who played against Wakefield wore 14 is surely a probable too.I believe he was a youth teamed but badly injured so was not offered a pro contract end of season .

Tavonga Kuleya - if he signs he will I would imagine go out on loan for his development. Looked to have very quick feet but raw, he was one that was making up the numbers last season

TinyPortal © 2005-2012