Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 05:53:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ravenhill  (Read 9533 times)

rich1471

• Forum Member
Re: Ravenhill
« Reply #30 on July 30, 2022, 07:22:27 pm by rich1471 »
It was a good tackle it was just unfortunate that the player was hurt

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 30, 2022, 07:41:38 pm by Rovers91 »
Annoys me seeing people suggest it was a foul or a red card, go play tennis if that is a red card.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on July 30, 2022, 07:51:07 pm by Campsall rover »
I actually thought it was Knoyle with the tackle not Ravenhill.
Could have sworn it was Knoyle the ref yellow carded.

I was right at the far end, last seat of the stand down the side  but still maybe I need to go to spec savers.  ;)

I and everyone around me thought it was a good tackle. He clearly got the ball and his studs didn’t seem to be raised. Obviously his follow through must have caught him but that was completely accidental. It was just a very unfortunate injury that happens in football. The ball was there to be won and I don’t think it was even a yellow card offence.

Hopefully the lad makes a speedy recovery.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on July 30, 2022, 08:11:17 pm by PDX_Rover »
Horror challenge, studs up on the follow through. Double leg break for the lad.

He got the ball and collided with the following leg. Impact injury. It happens.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 30, 2022, 08:24:34 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Hughes doesn't say it was a horror tackle or anything of the sort from his interview. If it was a bad one you can count on him making a meal of it in the press.

Anyone whose played the game will know it's a good tackle but ref's interpretation is what makes these tackles a big risk. I'm not saying thats right either.

Hughes also moaning that we didn't come to play football. He's been around long enough to know it's up to them to break us down. Probably best squad in the division they should have the tools to do it.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 30, 2022, 08:37:55 pm by Campsall rover »
Hughes doesn't say it was a horror tackle or anything of the sort from his interview. If it was a bad one you can count on him making a meal of it in the press.

Anyone whose played the game will know it's a good tackle but ref's interpretation is what makes these tackles a big risk. I'm not saying thats right either.

Hughes also moaning that we didn't come to play football. He's been around long enough to know it's up to them to break us down. Probably best squad in the division they should have the tools to do it.
We came to win the game until the sending off.
What does Hughes expect us to do with 10 men away from home. Go gun hoe and lose the game.
They would as everyone else in the same league would do and get 9 players behind the ball and keep it as tight as possible.
I thought Bradford were very poor at trying to break us down. One trick pony. Ball lofted to far post for headed knock down.
We defended brilliantly, Williams & Olowu dealt with what ammunition they had and looked very assured.
We defended as a team and that the way it should be.
Last season we would crumbled & have lost easily.

Hughes needs to look at his own teams shortcomings and not the opposition defending for their lives.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on July 30, 2022, 09:03:52 pm by bedale rover »
It was a foul, he knew he was winning the ball and going straight through their man.

Watching it live I thought it was bad
He was off his feet with his studs showing

I was not surprised he got carded

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on July 30, 2022, 09:20:07 pm by RoversAlias »
I actually thought it was Knoyle with the tackle not Ravenhill.
Could have sworn it was Knoyle the ref yellow carded.

I was right at the far end, last seat of the stand down the side  but still maybe I need to go to spec savers.  ;)

I and everyone around me thought it was a good tackle. He clearly got the ball and his studs didn’t seem to be raised. Obviously his follow through must have caught him but that was completely accidental. It was just a very unfortunate injury that happens in football. The ball was there to be won and I don’t think it was even a yellow card offence.

Hopefully the lad makes a speedy recovery.

You must've been sat near me Campsall as I was also at the end of the row, far end. Thing is, my reaction in the moment was that it was a certain red and you could tell immediately that Osadebe was in big trouble.

On replays, I think Ravenhill is a bit unlucky to make the contact that he does but he certainly went in full blooded. Was surprised to see him subbed at the time but it was potentially good management from McSheffrey as Bradford's players and fans were baying for his head.

Forkbeard

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on July 30, 2022, 10:50:26 pm by Forkbeard »
I umpire hockey matches at an amateur club level.  I feel sorry for ref’s as, like me Umpiring hockey, we don’t have the benefit of action replays or VAR.
That said, Liam either won the ball fairly or it was a red card, no in between.  In my opinion he won the ball fairly.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on July 31, 2022, 06:58:17 am by colincramb »
Off his feet with studs up and looks not in control to me. It’s rash.

With that and the Tomlin debacle it’s a game best forgotten

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on July 31, 2022, 07:07:37 am by drfchound »
I don’t think Ravenhill is off his feet.
I have slowed the clip down and I reckon his left foot is on the ground as he makes the tackle.
He also wins the ball and knocks it out of play.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on July 31, 2022, 11:00:44 am by ncRover »
I think the way the Bradford player went in to the challenge he didn’t help himself at all. Get stuck in yourself or get out the way. Old school 50/50.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on July 31, 2022, 11:23:07 am by donnievic »
For me it’s one of those challengers which will always be a split on whether your old school and also which team you support as if it had been a Bradford player that we would be saying same.I’m more inclined with it was a strong challenge with abit of a lunge with one leg on the floor and other with stubs lifted but for me it’s very hard when your sliding that’s always going to be the case when it’s head on,Bradford player doesn’t help himself going in like he did with his feet planted which is why he came off as he did

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on July 31, 2022, 11:34:26 am by Colin C No.3 »
At the time (I haven’t seen any play backs) it looked nothing more than a full blooded tackle with no malevolence intended.

I saw two City players approach Liam while he was standing on his own. They weren’t pushing or crowding him but at the same time I’m sure they weren’t saying “These things happen son”!

Spot on decision to substitute him. His head must have been all over.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on July 31, 2022, 12:34:12 pm by roversdude »
I’ve watched it back as slow as I can and I’m convinced his (Ravenhill) left foot is firmly on the ground and wasn’t even a free kick never mind a booking

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on July 31, 2022, 12:54:43 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I watched the game back and the Bradford commentator goes from saying it's slightly worse than Smallwood's to a couple mins later saying it was extreme. Clearly basing his opinion on the injury, not the challenge, like many Bradford fans.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on July 31, 2022, 03:24:30 pm by ncRover »
With our midfield injuries / suspensions Ravenhill is going to have to be playing next week. He will be ok.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on July 31, 2022, 05:21:41 pm by RoversAlias »
He seemed okay when it happened to be honest. He wasn't taken off for his own temperament, but more because of how Bradford, the fans and maybe the ref would have focused on him for the rest of the game.

I think he'll be fine, sure Copps will help him if need be as well.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on July 31, 2022, 05:56:10 pm by keith79 »
Seriously tho he looks a good little player.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on July 31, 2022, 05:58:25 pm by GazLaz »
Seriously tho he looks a good little player.

I think he’s technically very very good. Not ready for L2 though. Needs 30 games this season, hopefully we have a development plan for him.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on July 31, 2022, 06:07:45 pm by RobTheRover »
Take the injury out of it, and the emotional response that brings.

If the BCFC lad hadn't been injured, what would we be saying?  Great tackle?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on July 31, 2022, 06:24:38 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Probably Rob. I guess the conundrum in him and his development is how do you control his aggression without taking it out of his game?

I'd like to see more of him in the right circumstances to see just how good he is.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on July 31, 2022, 06:41:23 pm by jmt23 »
He is just like his dad, who was always a split second away from a red.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on July 31, 2022, 08:55:16 pm by Avsuptem »
From what I saw if Ravenhill had summoned some continental skill and rolled around in feigned agony for a while he would not have been booked.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on July 31, 2022, 09:52:28 pm by danumdon »
Take the injury out of it, and the emotional response that brings.

If the BCFC lad hadn't been injured, what would we be saying?  Great tackle?

Reminds me a little of a tackle James Husband made on a Hull player a few years ago, we all thought at the time that it was a bit hard but fair, the Hull player got up after a few mins wondering WTF had just hit him. Could of been the same outcome as yesterday.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on July 31, 2022, 09:57:54 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Talking of bad tackles on the opening day of the season remember when Dunk put Sharp out for the season with what no doubt should have been a red (did he even get booked?)

Now that was one to complain about pretty sure we'd have stayed up if Sharp was fit (if that was the year we got relegated can't remember now)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on July 31, 2022, 10:00:48 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I missed it at the time, but watching that video, it looks like a crunchingly hard but perfectly fair tackle.

Good luck to their lad for a swift recovery. No-one likes to see any player get an injury like that. And I hope Ravenhill recovers from what must be a shockingly upsetting experience.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on July 31, 2022, 10:01:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Talking of bad tackles on the opening day of the season remember when Dunk put Sharp out for the season with what no doubt should have been a red (did he even get booked?)

Now that was one to complain about pretty sure we'd have stayed up if Sharp was fit (if that was the year we got relegated can't remember now)

It was the Year of the Experiment.

We wouldn't have stayed up with Billy Whizz up front.

That's still one of the worst fouls I've ever seen not get a red card though. Proper potential career-ender.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on July 31, 2022, 10:19:18 pm by danumdon »
Didn't help that Hayter got cleaned out as well.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on July 31, 2022, 10:28:38 pm by EasyforDennis »

It was the Year of the Experiment.

We wouldn't have stayed up with Billy Whizz up front.

That's still one of the worst fouls I've ever seen not get a red card though. Proper potential career-ender.

I think had Billy not been injured and out for so long we wouldn't have had the experiment.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012