Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 01:45:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Sutton United game  (Read 6360 times)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Sutton United game
« Reply #60 on August 06, 2022, 10:12:22 am by Colin C No.3 »
Sutton like a 4-4-2, normally I would say go 3-5-2, but I think 4-3-3 is the formation we are used to. We have enough changes in personnel with the injuries. I would put Kuleya on the bench as he looked promising in pre season. We don’t have many forward options

If Rowe is fit, he plays in my opinion. As much as I wouldn’t want to do it, I would move Miller onto the right side of a three, putting Andrews in centrally, Hurst hopefully giving us a bit of width.
We would need the full backs to contribute for us. The central defence picks itself, they’ve done nothing wrong so far so leave them be.

I think we can win the midfield with those three in there. We have what we have at the minute, we just have to adapt the team to whatever we have to.
It would be good to see Agard get a goal off the bench, he’s had a tough time. Hopefully ease Anderson in for some minutes on the pitch. Maybe give Kuleya an opportunity. Degruchy also was unlucky in the Bradford game.

I would be looking at playing some of these guys in the cup game to get them match sharpness. Going back to the Sutton game, they don’t mess about , they direct and there will be some physical contact for the defence to deal with.
We can’t get drawn into that, we need to play our game. We need to go for it, we are at home, it’s important we make it a place nobody wants to come to.

Even with all the injuries, we still have decent options on the bench. It’s an opportunity for a few to stake a claim to play regularly.

Mitchell

Williams.     Olowu

Knoyle.                          Maxwell

Biggins.     Clayton.  Rowe

Miller.      Andrews.    Hurst

Subs. Agard, Kuleya, Ravenhill, Degruchy, Anderson, Long, Jones
That’s the starting lineup I’d plump for too Sammy.

Miller will be a willing runner for anything Andrews wins in the air with Hurst & Rowe joining the attack, let’s be positive at home without being gung ho & lumping aimless balls forward.

It would be nice to see Mitchell & Knoyle able to get forward & support in a wing backs role.

I don’t know what Sutton will have to throw at us but I’m sure the first goal could be pivotal in what I feel will be a close game as players still adjust to one another & the formation they’ve been drilled to play in.

It’ll be nice to see hoops back on that green pitch!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on August 06, 2022, 10:27:38 am by RoversAlias »
If Mitchell is getting forward up the wing then the net might be a bit exposed, Colin!

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on August 06, 2022, 10:36:00 am by Colin C No.3 »
If Mitchell is getting forward up the wing then the net might be a bit exposed, Colin!
Getting me Mitchells & me Maxwells Mixed up RA!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on August 06, 2022, 10:49:02 am by selby »
  To me Gary McSheffrey and his coaching staff have done a sterling job.
   This game will be the 11th game without defeat if we manage to get a result, that in spite of all the long term injuries we have had that have carried on over to the start of a new season with some of our more fancied players being sidelined and and a run that saw away games at Oxford and Bradford where we got a point in both games.
  All while adding to the squad young players that must have brought down our average age of the team.  I think we now have a very astute management team whose coaching ability will only get more fruitful as time goes on and the young players get more experience, and hence the club could become attractive to young players to come to.
  We must try and carry on the attitude if we can't win, find a way not to lose and carry on this run of results especially in this period most see as the hardest run of fixtures we could have had to start the new season.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on August 06, 2022, 11:26:48 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Sutton like a 4-4-2, normally I would say go 3-5-2, but I think 4-3-3 is the formation we are used to. We have enough changes in personnel with the injuries. I would put Kuleya on the bench as he looked promising in pre season. We don’t have many forward options

If Rowe is fit, he plays in my opinion. As much as I wouldn’t want to do it, I would move Miller onto the right side of a three, putting Andrews in centrally, Hurst hopefully giving us a bit of width.
We would need the full backs to contribute for us. The central defence picks itself, they’ve done nothing wrong so far so leave them be.

I think we can win the midfield with those three in there. We have what we have at the minute, we just have to adapt the team to whatever we have to.
It would be good to see Agard get a goal off the bench, he’s had a tough time. Hopefully ease Anderson in for some minutes on the pitch. Maybe give Kuleya an opportunity. Degruchy also was unlucky in the Bradford game.

I would be looking at playing some of these guys in the cup game to get them match sharpness. Going back to the Sutton game, they don’t mess about , they direct and there will be some physical contact for the defence to deal with.
We can’t get drawn into that, we need to play our game. We need to go for it, we are at home, it’s important we make it a place nobody wants to come to.

Even with all the injuries, we still have decent options on the bench. It’s an opportunity for a few to stake a claim to play regularly.

Mitchell

Williams.     Olowu

Knoyle.                          Maxwell

Biggins.     Clayton.  Rowe

Miller.      Andrews.    Hurst

Subs. Agard, Kuleya, Ravenhill, Degruchy, Anderson, Long, Jones
That’s the starting lineup I’d plump for too Sammy.

Miller will be a willing runner for anything Andrews wins in the air with Hurst & Rowe joining the attack, let’s be positive at home without being gung ho & lumping aimless balls forward.

It would be nice to see Mitchell & Knoyle able to get forward & support in a wing backs role.

I don’t know what Sutton will have to throw at us but I’m sure the first goal could be pivotal in what I feel will be a close game as players still adjust to one another & the formation they’ve been drilled to play in.

It’ll be nice to see hoops back on that green pitch!

I'd go for that line up but with Miller and Andrews together through the middle then 4 in midfield. We struggled for goals last season and just feel with 2 centrally we'll have more to hit. Could see us having possession without much end product if Miller is stuck out wide with only one in the box

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on August 06, 2022, 11:52:37 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Starting to get the pre match tingles now. Soo looking forward to this and really hoping we can get off to a rousing start at home!

COYR.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on August 06, 2022, 06:22:53 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Let’s be honest it was really poor until the 90th.

No plan just pick 11 players and hope. Our tactic seemed to be as narrow as possible.

If I have to watch Hurst or our full backs get the ball wide and have our whole team watch and wait without giving them an option I’m going to lose my hair.

Hopefully this is our bad performance and we won building confidence and character to keep getting better.

Also big up to Tavonga who came on and tried to be positive instead of just laying the ball back every time

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on August 06, 2022, 07:44:00 pm by RoversAlias »
We definitely had a plan Sedwards, just certain players didn't live up to it.

McSheffrey knows we weren't at our best today.

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on August 06, 2022, 09:11:18 pm by Plumbster »
Ecstatic with late win but key disappointments for me were the return of dodgy defending, and how poor Biggins and, until injury time, Miller were.  Anyway we will take the luck while it is going and hopefully there is a lot of improvement still to come

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on August 06, 2022, 09:14:31 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
We definitely had a plan Sedwards, just certain players didn't live up to it.

McSheffrey knows we weren't at our best today.

Sutton are compact and physical. Trying to play through the middle of them with a diamond in midfield was always going to play into their hands.

Of course GM didn’t want us to play like we did but I’m not sure how he wanted us to play was right either.

Hurst looks class but needs to strengthen up a bit to play as a 10 imo he’d be best wide for now

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on August 06, 2022, 09:33:33 pm by roversdude »
Don’t usually bet on individual matches but had a tenner at 19/10

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on August 06, 2022, 10:22:08 pm by drfchound »
Don’t usually bet on individual matches but had a tenner at 19/10

At half time a pal of mine at the game put a tenner on us to win at 12/1.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012