Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 12:46:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Snatching Victory from the Jaws of defeat - and vice versa  (Read 2105 times)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
The late win over Sutton rightly brings back memories of the Crewe game in 2015 when a score of 1-2 at 90 minutes was overturned in added time for a 3-2 victory with goals by Cameron Stewart and Andy Williams. However we have to go a lot further back to find the last time we scored 2 late goals to turn a losing situation in a league game into a win.

If we take 80 minutes as the cut off, the previous occasion was the televised game at Port Vale in 2006-07, one of two games Mickey Walker was in charge of between Dave Penney leaving and SOD being appointed. We were 1-0 down but two Paul Heffernan goals in the 88th and 90th minutes turned the game on its head.

Prior to that we have to go back to the Conference days when goals by Tris Whitman (81 mins) and Paul Barnes (90min) turned round a 1-0 deficit after 80 minutes at Stevenage in 2002-03.

Earlier still it is easy to forget that in our memorable 5-4 win from 0-3 down against Dover, the score at 80 minutes was 3-4 and a late own goal (81 mins) and a goal by Glen Kirkwood (84 mins) turned the game around.

These are the only 4 times in league matches since my records on goal times started in 1993. However we have had two other instances in cup matches. The JPT semi-final against Crewe in 2006-07 when a score of 1-2 after 80 minutes was overturned with goals by Paul Heffernan (83 mins) and Jason Price (89 mins) was one. The other was the League Cup tie against Grimsby in 2003-04 when again a score of 1-2 at 80 minutes was overturned by goals from Paul Barnes (81 mins) and Greg Blundell (90 mins).

The feeling though that it happens against us more than for is entirely justified. In this period there have been no fewer than 12 instance in the League/Conference –

Chester Home 3-4 in 1993-94
Stevenage Home 1-2 in 1999-00
Kidderminster Home 1-2 in 1999-00
Bournemouth Away 1-2 in 2005-06
Norwich Away 1-2 in 2008-09
Brighton Away in 1-2 2011-12
Leeds Away in 2-3 2011-12
Portsmouth Home 3-4 in 2011-12 (2 goals in the 90th minute and later)
Rochdale Away 1-2 in 2017-18 (2 goals in the 90th minute and later)
Rotherham Away 1-2 in 2017-18 (2 goals in the 90th minute and later)
Wycombe Away 2-3 in 2018-19 (2 goals in the 90th minute and later)
Morecambe Away 3-4 in 2021-22

We also have the League Cup match 1-2 loss against Accrington in 2010-11

Finally there was the famous 4-5 home defeat in the FA Trophy to Yeovil in 2001-02 from 3-0 up which nearly mirrored the Dover win. We were 3-2 ahead after 79 minutes and lost 5-4 – so by the somewhat arbitrary criteria of 80 minutes doesn’t qualify although it feels like it should. 

Never give up, never give in :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 04:42:10 pm by Dutch Uncle »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

glosterred

• VSC Member
Re: Snatching Victory from the Jaws of defeat - and vice versa
« Reply #1 on August 07, 2022, 12:54:18 pm by glosterred »
Am I right in what I heard on the MCS interview, that this is the first win we’ve achieved from a losing position in the last couple of seasons?

COYR

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 07, 2022, 01:05:45 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Yes, last time was nearly 2 years ago when we came from 0-2 down at home to beat Blackpool 3-2 under Darren Moore

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 07, 2022, 01:08:20 pm by IDM »
In that Crewe fixture, didn’t they also score to make it 1-2 maybe in the 89th minute?

So in the space of 3-4 minutes we went from drawing to losing to drawing again and to winning.?

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 07, 2022, 01:13:00 pm by Dutch Uncle »
In that Crewe fixture, didn’t they also score to make it 1-2 maybe in the 89th minute?

So in the space of 3-4 minutes we went from drawing to losing to drawing again and to winning.?

Yes indeed IDM, crazy finish it was.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 07, 2022, 01:24:41 pm by IDM »
I remember was a cold and wet day - I’d gone down almost to the exits after Crewe scored so was virtually pitch side just to the side of the south goal for the last two goals..

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 07, 2022, 01:27:39 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Always better to be a remainer  :lol: :lol:

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 07, 2022, 01:32:36 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Always better to be a remainer  :lol: :lol:

Ain’t that the truth  :)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 07, 2022, 01:33:39 pm by IDM »
I never leave before the final whistle but have been known to edge towards the exits, especially on the terracing at BV for a swift exit.!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 07, 2022, 01:34:19 pm by Donnywolf »
How can we be expected to do well at PvO with such freakish turn rounds lol

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 07, 2022, 01:37:26 pm by DearneValleyRover »
The thing I’ve always admired about Paul Warne’s Rotherham sides were the fact they were still running through brick walls in the 95th minute winning them points even when they were outplayed for most of the match. It looks as though we may have a bit of that about us, not a bad trait

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 07, 2022, 01:51:21 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Excellent as ever Dutch.

If I'm going to be picky, I'd point out that the Rotherham goals in 17/18 were in the 3rd and 13th of 14 minutes of injury time, after Tom Anderson had given us the first example of him putting his face where most of us wouldn't put someone else's foot.

Does the first of those really count as a post - 80 min goal? Discuss.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 07, 2022, 02:03:36 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Excellent as ever Dutch.

If I'm going to be picky, I'd point out that the Rotherham goals in 17/18 were in the 3rd and 13th of 14 minutes of injury time, after Tom Anderson had given us the first example of him putting his face where most of us wouldn't put someone else's foot.

Does the first of those really count as a post - 80 min goal? Discuss.

Point definitely taken. Then again 80 minutes is purely an arbitrary cutoff time I came up with.

Given that I don't know how much extra/added time was played in many of the above matches I am not in a position to decide which others might be chalked off for the same reason, e.g. Stevenage away in 2002-03 and Whitman's 81st minute goal would only need 2 minutes added time not to count.

So I guess I am for counting forwards from the start of the match rather than backwards from the end - it is easier to have at least a veneer of consistency.

Good job there were no calculations necessary for the match at Lincoln last season where there was a 25 minutes stoppage for a spectator medical incident, and for some reason they didn't stop the clock. That might have made me change my mind - Gardner scored after 81 minutes with well over half an hour left to play   :blush:

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 07, 2022, 02:27:22 pm by glosterred »

Worked for me, I had us down for a win

COYR

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 07, 2022, 04:06:27 pm by BobG »
I don't  know what year it was but Rovers were losing 1-0 at The Shay as 90 minutes ticked up. I wasn't there but I did hear a radio report that we had won 2-1 with two injury time goals.  As a real guess I'll suggest it was sometime in the 80's or early 90's but that's as far as my memory goes.

BobG

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 07, 2022, 04:27:06 pm by Dutch Uncle »
In 1992-93 we drew 2-2 at the Shay and Steve Richards scored for us in the 89th and 90th minutes. Was that the match you were thinking of Bob?

Edit: Prior to that we won 2-1 at the Shay in 1983-84 with Neil Woods and Ian Snodin scoring, but I have no idea whatsoever of goal times
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 04:31:14 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 07, 2022, 04:30:01 pm by Donnywolf »

Worked for me, I had us down for a win

COYR

Only 1 person chose Sutton to win out of 73

Bet he was sick as a pig !

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 07, 2022, 11:54:39 pm by Bessie Red »
In 1992-93 we drew 2-2 at the Shay and Steve Richards scored for us in the 89th and 90th minutes. Was that the match you were thinking of Bob?

Edit: Prior to that we won 2-1 at the Shay in 1983-84 with Neil Woods and Ian Snodin scoring, but I have no idea whatsoever of goal times
I was there that day, scenes when the second went in about 50 of us onto the pitch celebrating with the lads!! Great day.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 07, 2022, 11:55:47 pm by Bessie Red »
I don't  know what year it was but Rovers were losing 1-0 at The Shay as 90 minutes ticked up. I wasn't there but I did hear a radio report that we had won 2-1 with two injury time goals.  As a real guess I'll suggest it was sometime in the 80's or early 90's but that's as far as my memory goes.

BobG
It was a 2-2 draw Bob I was there

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 08, 2022, 12:12:02 am by BillyStubbsTears »

BobG

Me too. Freezing cold as I remember. Could hardly keep my footing on that old tarmac slope of a terrace when those two late goals went in.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 08, 2022, 12:57:46 am by BobG »
Ah. OK. Thank you opne and all. Lol. I could have sworn we won it 2-1 too! I was just going to reply to Ducth suggesting it must have been the match in 83-84, especially as Ian Snodin rings a little bell in my head. But given the responses from Bessie and Billy I guess that's probably not correct. Lol. For decades I've had that in my head too!

BobG

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 08, 2022, 02:25:02 am by Jonathan »
Remember the similar comeback at Scarborough? 2-0 down only for David Roche to score two late (must’ve been around stoppage time?) penalties? I was only a kid at the time and I remember it being one of those crazy moments that stays with you.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 08, 2022, 02:35:04 am by Alan Southstand »
What about:

Tristram Whitman's injury-time strike earned Doncaster a last-gasp draw with 10-man Chester in their Nationwide Conference play-off semi-final first leg.

(From the BBC archives).

Followed by Sir Francis Tierney’s ‘golden goal’ at Stoke’s ground.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
Great information, Dutch, thanks. This another bit of proof that the mentality of the team is much stronger. Still believing they can get something going into injury time, and going on and winning the game. It wouldn’t have happened last season, we did this with key players missing.

I like that there is a path to the first team ,if our young players are good enough. The squad isn’t littered with loan signings, blocking their way. No harm in bringing loans in if they are better than we have and better than we could afford to sign permanent.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 08, 2022, 08:59:41 am by Donnywolf »
What about:

(From the BBC archives).

... or to be technically correct Promotion Goal

It's historic and we should claim it lol

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 08, 2022, 09:21:25 am by idler »

BobG

Me too. Freezing cold as I remember. Could hardly keep my footing on that old tarmac slope of a terrace when those two late goals went in.
I was glad that I only had an 8 mile drive home. Me and my son took ages to thaw out that day.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 08, 2022, 09:37:23 am by Goole Rover »
I think the dual scorer was Steve Richard’s our centre back now or possibly retired Humberside policeman.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 08, 2022, 10:05:09 am by Dutch Uncle »
What about:

Tristram Whitman's injury-time strike earned Doncaster a last-gasp draw with 10-man Chester in their Nationwide Conference play-off semi-final first leg.

(From the BBC archives).

Great late memories Alan, never to be forgotten.

I was specifically looking at instances of 2 late goals to turn a losing position into a victory - although it could easily be said both of those goals were well worth two   :scarf:

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on August 08, 2022, 10:08:27 am by Dutch Uncle »
Ah. OK. Thank you opne and all. Lol. I could have sworn we won it 2-1 too! I was just going to reply to Ducth suggesting it must have been the match in 83-84, especially as Ian Snodin rings a little bell in my head. But given the responses from Bessie and Billy I guess that's probably not correct. Lol. For decades I've had that in my head too!

BobG

Billy and Bessie ......... wasn't that Billy Bunter and sister?  :lol: :lol:

(for the older ones on here)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 08, 2022, 10:32:17 am by Donnywolf »
What about:

(From the BBC archives).

Great late memories Alan, never to be forgotten.

I was specifically looking at instances of 2 late goals to turn a losing position into a victory - although it could easily be said both of those goals were well worth two   :scarf:

Cheers DU .... are you schooling your descendents in the art of record keeping for the future ?

What a great resource you TRB and HamiltonR can tap into .... would be great for it to carry on forever even though "we" won't

TinyPortal © 2005-2012