Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:05:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Red Wall  (Read 2061 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Red Wall
« on August 09, 2022, 11:06:38 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Clearly the Red Wall is going to be crucial in the next election. Labour hasn't got a prayer of being the biggest party in 2024 unless it can recover in those seats. So how is it going?

The vote share in the Red Wall seats, averaged out was
Con 47
Lab 39

That was a massive shift from 2017 when it was
Lab 50
Con 42

Here's the latest polling data.

https://mobile.twitter.com/electpoliticsuk/status/1557037175010631680

Lab 48
Con 33.

If that remains (and it's a big IF if course) Labour will sweep the board of those seats in 2024.

Those on the Left who instinctively criticise Labour would do well to remember this. If Labour doesn't get into power, you can have all the policies and all the principles and all the ideology you want. But you'll have a Govt headed by Liz Truss.

Your call.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

albie

• Forum Member
Re: Red Wall
« Reply #1 on August 10, 2022, 12:04:33 am by albie »
Yes, the red wall is important.
So is Scotland, and Tory losses in the south to the LDems, and boundary changes.

Far too early to be talking about polls, as you well know!
Silly post.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 10, 2022, 12:29:09 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Albie.
It's too early to be making any final assessments based on polls. Of course. Which is why I caveated my post, as I'm sure you saw.

It's more foolish to ignore them altogether as a indication of the state of play.

You yourself were quoting them at length not two months ago to back up your claim that Starmer is no good. Even though you quoted them wrongly. 

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 10, 2022, 02:02:18 am by BobG »
I can't see any reason why  we cannot consider the state of the polls today. If nothing else, they give a picture of how well or badly the leadership of any and every party is doing.

BobG

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 10, 2022, 05:04:35 am by scawsby steve »
Lots of things can happen in 2 years. Civil disobedience and unrest are on the horizon.

If Keith turns his back on the Unions, that red wall could soon be in danger.

I'm still predicting a hung parliament; and if Labour's the biggest Party, Keith will have to do some more reneging.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 10, 2022, 07:27:01 am by Muttley »
Lots of things can happen in 2 years. Civil disobedience and unrest are on the horizon.

I'm still predicting a hung parliament; and if Labour's the biggest Party, Keith will have to do some more reneging.

Who's Keith?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 10, 2022, 09:10:20 am by SydneyRover »
It's trends that matter, of course there can be abrupt changes but it's the trends that unsettle the horses on either side. The trend is with labour atm.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 10, 2022, 12:49:42 pm by bpoolrover »
the latest you gov poll has labour with a 4 point lead it was something like 11 points not long ago

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 10, 2022, 01:47:14 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
the latest you gov poll has labour with a 4 point lead it was something like 11 points not long ago

Agreed.

There was always going to be something of a bounce back after Johnson had been deposed. Plus the Tories have had a month of wall to wall coverage of their shiny new leader candidates. And there's always a honeymoon period.

That won't last. I guarantee you. Not with a year of 10+% inflation and a 15 month recession in the post.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 10, 2022, 02:02:26 pm by albie »
The error bars on a poll at this stage are very wide, and the poll does not do anything other than give a temporary snapshot.

There is no read through to voting intentions at a distant election.

What is interesting in the red wall is the numbers who will choose not to vote.
I think that disengagement will increase, but that remains to be seen the extent to which it has an impact.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 10, 2022, 02:41:41 pm by SydneyRover »
polls are just that, polls, ups and downs, errors this way and that, but ask any campaign manager where they would like to be .............. behind or leading?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 10, 2022, 03:13:58 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
The error bars on a poll at this stage are very wide, and the poll does not do anything other than give a temporary snapshot.

There is no read through to voting intentions at a distant election.

What is interesting in the red wall is the numbers who will choose not to vote.
I think that disengagement will increase, but that remains to be seen the extent to which it has an impact.

Yes of course it's a snapshot of where we are now.

Hand on heart. If the polls were saying Labour was 10% behind in the Red Wall seats, are you seriously telling me you wouldn't see that as a very serious problem?

You're in danger of letting your certainty that Starmer is a failure cloud the way you look at all evidence.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 10, 2022, 03:54:19 pm by albie »
That Starmer is a failure is nothing to do with my understanding of polling...in any way.

No-one who understands how polling works would have posted the OP unless they were looking to influence by false association.

This is not specific to the red wall, polling is unreliably reported across the UK media without any reference to uncertainty, and as such is used to mislead.

As I said, the red wall issue for Labour is non voting, which you have chosen to ignore.
The poll you highlight says nothing about it...the elephant in the room.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 10, 2022, 04:40:41 pm by tyke1962 »
Exactly that Albie , a poor turnout at the next election when we have to choose between two shyte sandwiches .

Just because the Tory vote may crumble in the former Red Wall doesn't mean that vote transfers to Labour , I know mine won't .

Besides I'm all for the former Red Wall to remain massively marginal  for the foreseeable .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 10, 2022, 05:12:36 pm by drfchound »

Strange that none of our Starmer supporters mentioned that 7% swing in the polls .
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 06:34:21 pm by drfchound »

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 10, 2022, 06:18:09 pm by BigH »

Strange that none of our Starmer supporters m3ntioned that 7% swing in the polls .

If you look at the graph on the YouGov site it’s been fluctuating around a mean for quite a few weeks now.

And you do know that YouGov has very close links to the current government. Zahawi was one of the founders.

Pure coincidence I know.

They’ve clearly put the graduate intern on the party opinion polling because all the resource seems to have gone on polling the Tory leadership race which they’ve been quite good at.

Again, a coincidence.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 10, 2022, 06:42:14 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
That Starmer is a failure is nothing to do with my understanding of polling...in any way.

No-one who understands how polling works would have posted the OP unless they were looking to influence by false association.

This is not specific to the red wall, polling is unreliably reported across the UK media without any reference to uncertainty, and as such is used to mislead.

As I said, the red wall issue for Labour is non voting, which you have chosen to ignore.

You're lecturing me on stats and uncertainty?

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 10, 2022, 07:12:12 pm by danumdon »

Anyone with any sense realises that polls are a snapshot in time and they are open to influence and misinterpretation depending on who they were commissioned for.

I still believe that when it comes to the day of the race people being what they are tend to think about their own personal circumstances first and foremost and will vote for the government they believe will best suit their requirements.

When you factor a Labour party headed up by a bland metropolitan biased, insular and grey ex lawyer who's very actions go counter to what red wall voters would wish then i would say the writings on the wall for him and the party.

Solution, actively look to promote a new leader. Seriously i think this guy will blow it for the Labour party.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 10, 2022, 07:19:54 pm by drfchound »

I think albie hit a nerve there.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 10, 2022, 07:35:07 pm by scawsby steve »

Who's Keith?

You've obviously not been on here much in the last couple of years, Muttley, where it's been explained umpteen times.

Ask Google why the left of the Labour Party refer to Starmer as "Keith".

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 10, 2022, 11:15:53 pm by SydneyRover »

One is not a failure until you lose, that corbyn lost or rather went through the sound barrier backwards, that is a loss. Starmer has been ahead in the polls for six months, it's the whiners and the doubters that are out of step at present, in the minority.

Lynch, however he explains it is telling you in the end to vote labour. I don't care how you try to weasel your way around it, you cannot get what you want without labour.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 11, 2022, 02:09:27 am by bpoolrover »

Strange that none of our Starmer supporters m3ntioned that 7% swing in the polls .

If you look at the graph on the YouGov site it’s been fluctuating around a mean for quite a few weeks now.

And you do know that YouGov has very close links to the current government. Zahawi was one of the founders.

Pure coincidence I know.

They’ve clearly put the graduate intern on the party opinion polling because all the resource seems to have gone on polling the Tory leadership race which they’ve been quite good at.

Again, a coincidence.
I have found you gov one of the better polls in the last couple of elections

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 11, 2022, 07:09:56 am by Donnywolf »
I've found the only one that matters (and can be very reasonably accurate) will be the Exit Poll at a few seconds past 10pm on GE day

Hopefully it will say  at the very worst

" No overall Majority but Labour are the largest Party".

After that I will go immediately to bed waking up at 6 am to see if they were right.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 07:23:19 am by Donnywolf »

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 11, 2022, 01:30:49 pm by BigH »

Pure coincidence I know.

Again, a coincidence.
Fair enough .

I just happen to think that their national polling over the last few months has been a bit erratic.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 11, 2022, 01:33:32 pm by bpoolrover »

Pure coincidence I know.

Again, a coincidence.
Fair enough .

I just happen to think that their national polling over the last few months has been a bit erratic.
i agree i have seen massive differences ranging from 13 points to 4 points, whatever the polls say the tories have to sort themselves out to have any chance at the minute

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 11, 2022, 03:11:35 pm by ravenrover »
Wonder what the odds are for Johnson to back as leader before next election, subject to him not having mislead Parliament?

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 11, 2022, 03:16:19 pm by danumdon »

Pure coincidence I know.

Again, a coincidence.
Fair enough .

i agree i have seen massive differences ranging from 13 points to 4 points, whatever the polls say the tories have to sort themselves out to have any chance at the minute

Its always been fair to say that mid term polls are just a snapshot that really concerns no one but party organisations and agitators who live by them.

The general public pay lip service to them and monitor their own personal circumstances and when it comes to polling day listen to the party manifestos and end up following the ones who managed to con them into thinking their policies will be best for the country.

Im not aware of anyone making their decision on what a newspaper or TV program told them!!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 11, 2022, 07:08:19 pm by drfchound »
In general Don I have noticed that politically biased people only mention the polls when the reflect what they want to see.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 11, 2022, 07:56:17 pm by scawsby steve »
I've found the only one that matters (and can be very reasonably accurate) will be the Exit Poll at a few seconds past 10pm on GE day

After that I will go immediately to bed waking up at 6 am to see if they were right.

I think that's exactly what it will say, Wolfie. Then you'll see Keith frantically snake-oiling about looking for deals to prop his government up, even though he's pledged he won't.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 11, 2022, 08:15:21 pm by tyke1962 »

I think that's exactly what it will say, Wolfie. Then you'll see Keith frantically snake-oiling about looking for deals to prop his government up, even though he's pledged he won't.

Any deal with the Dems is going to cost .

The Dems will want to change the voting system to PR and at least want to rejoin the SM and CU .

I cannot imagine for one minute that the Dems wouldn't ask for them as part of a coalition government .

TinyPortal © 2005-2012