Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 10:07:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Is it time for a protest vote for the next general election?

Yes
10 (30.3%)
No
19 (57.6%)
Unsure
4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Protest Vote for next general election  (Read 2424 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Protest Vote for next general election
« Reply #30 on December 19, 2022, 11:37:00 pm by SydneyRover »
You need photo Id to buy fags,beer, hire or drive a car open a bank account and many many more things is it such a problem really?

you'd think that users of uk roads that interact with traffic and pedestrians and have known to have caused thousands upon thousands of accidents resulting in damage and injury would be a case more pressing than 4 known cases of voter fraud, no?  I have never said i agree with it I’m just pointing out that most people already need photo Id in everyday life

No you haven't agreed with it bp but you haven't supported the other side of the argument either have you?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on December 20, 2022, 12:03:18 am by BillyStubbsTears »
You need photo Id to buy fags,beer, hire or drive a car open a bank account and many many more things is it such a problem really?

you'd think that users of uk roads that interact with traffic and pedestrians and have known to have caused thousands upon thousands of accidents resulting in damage and injury would be a case more pressing than 4 known cases of voter fraud, no?  I have never said i agree with it I’m just pointing out that most people already need photo Id in everyday life

But a large number of people don't! That's the point!

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on December 20, 2022, 12:15:37 am by bpoolrover »

hopefully they will come up with a scheme that enables them to acquire some then

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on December 20, 2022, 12:19:20 am by bpoolrover »
You would think that it would benefit labour anyway as a study showed 99 percent of younger people had photo id and the lowest was over 85s which some on here say there the Tory voters

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on December 20, 2022, 12:39:24 am by BillyStubbsTears »

hopefully they will come up with a scheme that enables them to acquire some then

They haven't! They've had three years to do so and they haven't. They've got vague mutterings about local authorities being able to give out ID cards, but they haven't given any funding for this, and experts say it would be impossible to implement at this notice anyway.

Why not read up about this instead of assuming it'll be alright?

Here's a start.

https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/voter-id-list-gives-few-options-for-younger-voters/

"During the passage of the Elections Act we successfully campaigned to extend the list of acceptable IDs. A cross-party group of peers passed an amendment that would have seen student IDs, library cards, bank statements and other easily accessible forms of ID accepted at polling stations. These options would have provided an important backstop for voters who don’t have more expensive forms of identity documents, like passports, and who may not have been able to access the voting certificate option.

"The government’s decision to repeal this amendment during the final stages of the bill means that voters now have far fewer options on polling day."
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 12:44:24 am by BillyStubbsTears »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on December 20, 2022, 12:40:17 am by SydneyRover »
You would think that it would benefit labour anyway as a study showed 99 percent of younger people had photo id and the lowest was over 85s which some on here say there the Tory voters

In that case you would think that labour supported it and the tories wouldn't bp, I've missed your input in off topic.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on December 20, 2022, 12:51:10 am by bpoolrover »

In that case you would think that labour supported it and the tories wouldn't bp, I've missed your input in off topic.
I no bit strange, there is a free voter card anyway, how are you doing Syd hope all is well, yes only post now and again nowadays

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on January 17, 2023, 02:29:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

They haven't! They've had three years to do so and they haven't. They've got vague mutterings about local authorities being able to give out ID cards, but they haven't given any funding for this, and experts say it would be impossible to implement at this notice anyway.

Here's a start.

https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/voter-id-list-gives-few-options-for-younger-voters/

"During the passage of the Elections Act we successfully campaigned to extend the list of acceptable IDs. A cross-party group of peers passed an amendment that would have seen student IDs, library cards, bank statements and other easily accessible forms of ID accepted at polling stations. These options would have provided an important backstop for voters who don’t have more expensive forms of identity documents, like passports, and who may not have been able to access the voting certificate option.

"The government’s decision to repeal this amendment during the final stages of the bill means that voters now have far fewer options on polling day."

Meanwhile, it's just another day in 21st Century UK and the Tories' plan to disenfranchise millions of voters goes on. And here's a lying Cabinet Minister lying about it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrandonLewis/status/1613576330574012416

"Similar to when you pick up a package"? Well that's fine then. Loads of ID will do.

Or...err...

https://mobile.twitter.com/arthistorynews/status/1614940185355079684

In a poll last week, only 30% of people had heard that photo ID was going to be needed to vote. Many fewer had heard what ID was acceptable. But 62% had heard a lot about in-person voter fraud and believed it was happening on an industrial scale. Whereas on the whole of 2019, there was ONE conviction.

It's happening folks. Right under your eyes. A non-probkem being used to disenfranchise millions of people. And no-one seems to give a f**k.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on January 17, 2023, 02:31:43 pm by normal rules »
I wonder if a labour govt would scrap the planned ban on new ice cars in 2030.
They would get my vote for that alone.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on January 17, 2023, 03:09:31 pm by roverstillidie91 »

Here's a start.

Meanwhile, it's just another day in 21st Century UK and the Tories' plan to disenfranchise millions of voters goes on. And here's a lying Cabinet Minister lying about it.

"Similar to when you pick up a package"? Well that's fine then. Loads of ID will do.

Or...err...

In a poll last week, only 30% of people had heard that photo ID was going to be needed to vote. Many fewer had heard what ID was acceptable. But 62% had heard a lot about in-person voter fraud and believed it was happening on an industrial scale. Whereas on the whole of 2019, there was ONE conviction.

It's happening folks. Right under your eyes. A non-probkem being used to disenfranchise millions of people. And no-one seems to give a f**k.
I feel like there is public tension brewing in all honesty about the goings on with this government.

It is all about taking control and being a dictatorial political party we should have seen this when it was covid and they was trying to control us and fining people 10,000 for walking their dog

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on January 20, 2023, 07:21:03 am by Donnywolf »
It's a despicable trick again , an Electoral " ploy" with one aim to suppress Voting. It is not anecdotal that there were so few examples of "voter fraud". These are figures regularly available

Altering Constituency Boundaries is another way of stacking the odds a certain way

My hope though (of a non Conservative Govt) after next election would be that those that cannot be arsed to get Voter ID will largely come from the 33% of those who can't be arsed to Vote and so be of a minimal impact

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on January 20, 2023, 08:51:48 am by glosterred »
It's a despicable trick again , an Electoral " ploy" with one aim to suppress Voting. It is not anecdotal that there were so few examples of "voter fraud". These are figures regularly available

Altering Constituency Boundaries is another way of stacking the odds a certain way

My hope though (of a non Conservative Govt) after next election would be that those that cannot be arsed to get Voter ID will largely come from the 33% of those who can't be arsed to Vote and so be of a minimal impact

The Boundary Commission for England (BCE) is required by the Parliamentary Constituencies Act 1986 to review the parliamentary constituencies in England every 5 years. BCE is an advisory non-departmental public body, sponsored by the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities .

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/boundary-commission-for-england

https://boundarycommissionforengland.independent.gov.uk/about-us/

« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 10:32:39 am by glosterred »

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on January 20, 2023, 04:25:14 pm by danumdon »

Here's a start.

Or...err...

I feel like there is public tension brewing in all honesty about the goings on with this government.

It is all about taking control and being a dictatorial political party we should have seen this when it was covid and they was trying to control us and fining people 10,000 for walking their dog

This has made me chuckle, now no one is saying that the pandemic was handled in the most optimum manner by any means but have you actually thought about how a Labour government would of handled the same situation, we had glimpses of it in Wales and in Scotland with their respective governments Lab and SNP and i'm guessing that if that that been the case in England then there would of been plenty of disagreement about the manner in which they would of controlled the situation.

Its unfortunate but the left have always had this yearning to take over and control every facet of your business be it in normal times or in a pandemic situation, mothering a nation in this manner leads to an abandonment of self reliance and aspiration, they very last thing this country that's tottering on the edge needs, people need to take more responsibility for their actions in life.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on January 20, 2023, 04:54:41 pm by ravenrover »
Funny how the politicians talk about The Lockdown The War in Ukraine on having an effect on cost of living and inflation but no mention from any Party about the calamitous tenure of Trusstless  and Kamikwazi and the effect of their mini budget. Or have I missed it?

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on January 20, 2023, 08:52:33 pm by ncRover »
Funny how the politicians talk about The Lockdown The War in Ukraine on having an effect on cost of living and inflation but no mention from any Party about the calamitous tenure of Trusstless  and Kamikwazi and the effect of their mini budget. Or have I missed it?

I’m not saying that it didn’t, but is there any evidence that it did?

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on January 20, 2023, 08:55:55 pm by ncRover »
This will come as a surprise to some posters. Interested to hear what they think.

https://twitter.com/rubenbmathisen/status/1614707243856936960?s=46&t=qTd69bQhvEPVVYGr7hpKxQ

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on January 20, 2023, 09:39:06 pm by wilts rover »

Have you looked for any?

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on January 20, 2023, 10:00:07 pm by ncRover »

Have you looked for any?

Yes but I’m not informed enough to find an example of clear lasting cause and effect from that budget to what we see today with the CoL crisis.

Lockdown and Ukraine far bigger factors in what is a big and complex system.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on January 20, 2023, 10:08:05 pm by SydneyRover »
This will come as a surprise to some posters. Interested to hear what they think.

https://twitter.com/rubenbmathisen/status/1614707243856936960?s=46&t=qTd69bQhvEPVVYGr7hpKxQ

Not sure why it would nc ....... this is a much more comprehensive look at the problem country by country.

https://wir2022.wid.world/category/glossary/

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on January 20, 2023, 10:15:26 pm by wilts rover »

Have you looked for any?

Yes but I’m not informed enough to find an example of clear lasting cause and effect from that budget to what we see today with the CoL crisis.

Really?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/63229204

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on January 20, 2023, 10:18:05 pm by ncRover »
I’ll have a read of that in the morning.

What I meant was that countries that are lauded for their “fairer” approach such as Sweden (I think it was BST) have a higher % of total wealth owned by the top 1%.

Apart from Belgium and Netherlands we have the lowest % there in Western Europe. Would you have expected that?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on January 20, 2023, 10:23:59 pm by SydneyRover »

What I meant was that countries that are lauded for their “fairer” approach such as Sweden (I think it was BST) have a higher % of total wealth owned by the top 1%.

Apart from Belgium and Netherlands we have the lowest % there in Western Europe. Would you have expected that?

I hope you are not basing this comment on your coloured map with zero explanation nc

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on January 20, 2023, 10:29:44 pm by ncRover »

Have you looked for any?

Really?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/63229204

Ok that’s fair enough. Sorry i wasn’t clear I wasn’t disputing any impact, just disagreeing that it was as much as the other factors.

I just don’t think that a temporary budget that was u-turned on had more of an impact than the rising cost of energy needed to give live to everything. This therefore had a knock on effect to the price of everything.

I also don’t think a temporary budget has had more impact than the economy being shut down for months at a time.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 10:35:56 pm by ncRover »

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on January 20, 2023, 10:32:53 pm by ncRover »

I hope you are not basing this comment on your coloured map with zero explanation nc

I’ve only just seen it and found it interesting. I wondered what your guy’s thoughts were. What does it show for you then in terms of how our wealth inequality compares to Sweden?

Not everything is a loaded comment, I’m just curious.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on January 20, 2023, 10:42:25 pm by SydneyRover »
Why don't you look at the figures and explain, it needs a stat person to dive in and have a look and then take out and examine the various sections such as poverty around 14.5 million in the uk live in poverty, which would you think is the more important information nc, and for whom?

Added: the % of people holding the lion's share of the wealth would be less important if as they got more, so did those at the base, but it would appear that as that the top section of any society get richer the poor get more cabbage.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 10:53:18 pm by SydneyRover »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on January 20, 2023, 11:28:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Err. Just a bit.

Have a look at the price that international finance markets are imposing on Britain when we try to borrow.

When Truss came to power (I know! Mad to think it happened!) our 30 year gilts were selling at around 2% interest. Within a month they had peaked at 5%.

Yes, some of that was international issues. But German gilts rose from about 1% to 2% over the same period.

If ours had remained at a 2% premium on Germany, that would mean us paying an extra £40bn a year on interest costs. Enough to build 80 infirmaries every year.

Our gilt yields have reduced under Sunak, but are still 0.5% more than the German ones, relative to where they were last summer. And that has only been achieved by Hunt's Austerity Budget which is going to screw down economic growth for the rest of the year.

The international finance markets have a phrase for the effect that Trussonomics had on gilts. They say Britain is having to pay a Moron Premium. Having once elected such a dangerous woman-child idiot, they are wary of Britain's stability. And, all things being equal, they want more money for their lending to us, to cover the risk that we might lose our marbles again.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012