Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 08:47:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Dead wood (again)  (Read 3128 times)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Dead wood (again)
« Reply #30 on December 28, 2022, 06:55:27 am by Chris Black come back »
You can tell many have lowered their expectations on our players

Mitchell is not on parr with many goalkeepers we have had with the odd 1 or 2 exceptions

Since Sullivan (best keeper in our history), we've had
Gary Woods
Ross Turnbull
Stephen Bywater
Jed Steer (L)
Marko Marosi
Chris Neal (L)
Remi Matthews(L)
Sam Johnstone (L)
Thorsten Stuckmann
Ross Etheridge
Ian Lawlor
Louis Jones
Seny Dieng (L)
Joe Bursik (L)
Joe Lumley (L)
Ellery Balcombe (L)

Bar some outliers (Turnbull, Dieng and Johnstone, maybe Marosi) I'd prefer him over most.

Agree with this. Dieng and Johnstone are international keepers as well. Played at different levels but Mitchell is as good as Marosi was with us.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on December 28, 2022, 09:14:09 am by ctay »
McSheffrey said in one interview that Mitchell was cheap and we could spend more on players the same level. That says a lot about the where we are currently shopping. I am not a big Mitchell fan, he has done better than I expected and he is ok but his distribution and kicking are poor. He doesnt inspire confidence in the defense.

In terms of the deadwood, Taylor looks a shadow of the player we knew. Actually I am not sure how many I would want to keep. I saw a comment on twitter yesterday about the number of out of contract players (14 I think). I dont mind who leaves, the problem is who is picking them to replace them. Not many young ambitious players, or experienced solid players would want to choose us at present.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on December 28, 2022, 10:53:14 am by Filo »
It would be interesting to see the Km stats from the Tranmere game, I’d be very surprised if anyone got anywhere near 10Km, and I suspect Tranmere’s stats are head and shoulders above ours, which would show our lack of effort

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on December 28, 2022, 11:27:06 am by ravenrover »
I'm just guessing that part of the reason for Mitchell continually finding touch is that we have no ball winner up front against big centre halves so kick it wide and hope for something against the usually smaller full backs

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on December 28, 2022, 05:32:53 pm by scawsby steve »
You can tell many have lowered their expectations on our players

Mitchell is not on parr with many goalkeepers we have had with the odd 1 or 2 exceptions

Since Sullivan (best keeper in our history), we've had
Gary Woods
Ross Turnbull
Stephen Bywater
Jed Steer (L)
Marko Marosi
Chris Neal (L)
Remi Matthews(L)
Sam Johnstone (L)
Thorsten Stuckmann
Ross Etheridge
Ian Lawlor
Louis Jones
Seny Dieng (L)
Joe Bursik (L)
Joe Lumley (L)
Ellery Balcombe (L)

Bar some outliers (Turnbull, Dieng and Johnstone, maybe Marosi) I'd prefer him over most.

Good post, Swinton, one that I'm in agreement with; and thanks for that list.

The only blip is Sullivan being the greatest in our history. That honour goes to Harry Gregg, who was world class.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on December 28, 2022, 05:46:27 pm by selby »
  Hardwick wasn't bad Steve kept Gregg out of the team for a couple of seasons and picked for England u23s, trouble was they had to stop him from going, he was in his thirties.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on December 28, 2022, 05:55:54 pm by scawsby steve »
  Hardwick wasn't bad Steve kept Gregg out of the team for a couple of seasons and picked for England u23s, trouble was they had to stop him from going, he was in his thirties.

Hardwick was very good, Brian. However, Gregg was only young and very raw when he first came. Once he developed, he was magnificent, and for me, was second only to Gordon Banks amongst the world's greatest keepers.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on December 29, 2022, 06:18:11 am by Sammy Chung was King »
We haven’t got a target man to hit. It isn’t Miller’s game to play that way. The players need to be more intelligent and find a solution to it. We have good players who aren’t showing they are.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012