Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:41:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the AFC Wimbledon game  (Read 2942 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the AFC Wimbledon game
« on March 08, 2023, 12:06:35 am by selby »
  After tonight's abject showing once again, I am going to say what I would do now for the rest of the season that might, just might get  some of the supporters back on side, could very well improve results, not that hard, and could end up being a money spinner for the club, and an injection of enthusiasm for the supporters.
   First I would cancel Bobby Faulkner's loan to Spennymoor Town, and play him in the team, he is our best defender and possibly the best attacker of the ball in both the defensive penalty area and the attacking area where he makes things happen.
  From what I have seen he is just as good a footballer as any currently in the team, is our player, and makes no more poor passes than the more technically(so called) players who are in the team at the moment that can't defend consistently.
   I would also bring into the squad from the u18s Flint and play him as the central defensive mid fielder  dipping his toes in for the last quarter and see how he went.  A big strong lad and a good footballer with attitude to be a success, one of the best trainers at the club.
  The same with Jack Goodman who would be hard pushed not to improve our goal scoring threat, again set him off on dipping his toe in in the last quarter on a regular basis and if with Flint get's  going give them more and more game time to the end of the season.
  We have players in our squad nobody else want if the last transfer window has anything to show and young players from Premiership teams no better than our own if as good who have done not a lot to improve us over the last eight weeks, giving them a platform that we deny our own youth, and has achieved nothing of benefit for our club.
  That's what I would do this Saturday, Schofield will not I know he won't, but it could be a big benefit of value to this club not others, and could be no bigger failure than is unravelling before our eyes at present that is driving supporters away, and will continue to if we don't look for change.
  Wimbledon will not be easy, they never are, but could it be any worse than it is?
  Lot's to discuss and chew over about ourselves and the game, please have your say.
  And lot's of work and a change of tact and ambition if Schofield and Gribble are to be around much longer.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 12:11:31 am by selby »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the AFC Wimbledon game
« Reply #1 on March 08, 2023, 07:07:57 am by Silkscarf »
Is it time to bring Selby in as caretaker for the rest of the season? He’s one of our own, knows the club inside out, can bring on the youth. He ‘gets it’ as people like to say.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 08, 2023, 07:12:07 am by Filo »
Lets not talk about it, nothing will change, the one up too will be isolated all game, we’ll created next to zero chances, the subs will be like for like and our passing will be shite

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 08, 2023, 07:27:32 am by ctay »
Not looking forward to it, half hope the kids want to do something different that ensures I cannot attend.

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 08, 2023, 07:32:20 am by anton123 »
Really could not care one bit about this game , will be the same old shit and I and the gang of 6 of us won’t be going Saturday if at all the rest of the season , last night was the final straw for us

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 08, 2023, 08:48:54 am by Upton Rover »
Why waste our time and energy talking about utter shite of a football team, the coaching staff and the board, this manager is clueless and Copps is way out of his depth, he should never have taken the role, it’s such a shame for him.
We all know we support our club through good times and bad times, and we have had them both. However this period is really unbearable it’s such a hard thing to take for the loyal fans, and I can’t see this downward spiral changing anytime soon, we really are only a few seasons away from going out of existence if this whole trend is not changed and soon. My 11 year old grandson said last night, why 5 at the back and 1 up front, we are at home and playing a bottom 3 team and need points for the play offs.I told him the play offs were never going to happen, and it’s amazing how we have as many points as we have.

edlored

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 08, 2023, 08:55:41 am by edlored »
Get rid of the front three and the so called midfield and people might be remotely interested

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 08, 2023, 09:00:48 am by Canadian Rover »
Selby we can't bring in any of the U18s. I might be wrong here but didn't they lose 5-0 to Bradford and Sinclair say they only have 14 players fit?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 08, 2023, 09:21:26 am by normal rules »
Let’s not talk about it.
Their last six is lose three draw three. Has away win written all over it. We love to give struggling teams a boost

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 08, 2023, 10:06:56 am by Spud »
Go on Selby, rename it "Let's not talk about the AFC Wimbledon game"

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 08, 2023, 10:11:09 am by ravenrover »
With the weather forcast as is, I don't think we need to worry about Wimbledon on Saturday

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 08, 2023, 10:16:44 am by tommy toes »
Some time ago Schofield told someone I know very well, that there are 12 players that need to go and will be gone asap.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 08, 2023, 10:32:54 am by normal rules »
The best thing we could hope for is -10 overnight in Doncaster and the match postponed. Until this shit shower sorts itself out.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 08, 2023, 11:10:58 am by Alan Southstand »
There’s nothing left to say, Selby. We are a National League outfit in waiting.

oggycompton

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 08, 2023, 12:53:51 pm by oggycompton »
No goals, totally boring and a very low attendance.

Post match interview will start with the words 'Yeah, no' and be miles away from what anyone else at the game thought.

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
Let's talk about anything other than the AFC Wimbledon game
« Reply #15 on March 08, 2023, 01:18:51 pm by Move DRFC »
Why waste your time!

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 08, 2023, 01:36:05 pm by ncRover »
Forecast -5C Saturday morning. Perfect.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 08, 2023, 02:22:03 pm by Upton Rover »
Forecast -5C Saturday morning. Perfect.
5” on snow will do

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 08, 2023, 10:21:02 pm by drfchound »
Wimbledon have just one win in their last 11 matches going back to December.
No wins at all in their last 7 games.
I sense that the usual will happen and we will get them back on track.
Away win coming up.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 09, 2023, 08:43:58 am by normal rules »
Rovers haven’t scored a single goal in 7 hours of playing .
Can the groundsman leave the covers off please Friday night ?
If the match does go ahead, the weather forecast looks pretty appalling.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 08:47:03 am by normal rules »

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 09, 2023, 08:48:56 am by eastender »
Rovers haven’t scored a single goal in 7 hours of playing .
Can the groundsman leave the covers off please Friday night ?
If the match does go ahead, the weather forecast looks pretty appalling.
It sounds like the weather will match the Football then.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 09, 2023, 11:18:46 am by Sammy Chung was King »
The Wombles of Wimbledon could beat us at the minute.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 09, 2023, 01:40:35 pm by ncRover »
They could stick Sue Barker in net, we still wouldn’t f*cking score.

Usher down the wing.

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 09, 2023, 02:10:13 pm by Usher down the wing. »
Get rid of the front three and the so called midfield and people might be remotely interested

And replace with who edlored & ncRover?

We have what we have until the end of the season. It’s your choice whether or not you’re up to watching the same dross we’re being served up with week after week or, stay at home.

Give Schofield, Copps, Blunt until 3-4 months into the new season after (hopefully) a mass clear out during the summer coupled with good recruitment that will see us able to play good football, score goals & entertain because when all’s said & done, that’s the ‘business’ we’re in, entertainment.

All the rest, the currently shocking ‘Match Day Experience’ can then be addressed.

If the current staff can’t give us a team that is worth our time, money & effort to come & watch then they need to take stock & make wholesale changes from top to bottom.

Until then we are where we are so either suck it up or ‘abandon ship’ until August.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 09, 2023, 02:54:25 pm by drfchound »
If the people at the top of the club are thinking the same “suck it up or stay at home” way there is a big chance of plenty of people staying away and worse still, not renewing STs next season.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 09, 2023, 10:12:50 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Agree not much point talking about what we might do this game. The process is set it stone and won’t change. DS will either get a P45 or we will just start winning games out the blue and the process will be processed.

I hope we give the younger players a run of the bench if only to provide a bit of interest. Not interested in seeing Barlow again so what’s the harm

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on March 10, 2023, 08:05:53 am by selby »
Game looking more in doubt as time goes on with the present weather, it could even be postponed today which at the moment would not surprise me.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 10, 2023, 06:35:06 pm by ForsolongaRover »
https://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/2023/march/schofield-pre-wimbledon/

... provides a slightly edited version of what DS said in his iFollow interview today.

What is significant is that as usual he stresses the emphasis he gives to general attributes. His interviews are strewn with "Positives", "Positivity", "Optimism", "Process", "Reflection on positive performances" but there is very little about specifics.

His analysis of events is reduced to generalisations. He will not talk about individual players, preferring to refer to what "we say to all the players" and he never goes into the detail of what went wrong or right, naming players or describing action.

This may not mean that he does not do it privately I know, but the lasting impression is that everything can be achieved by sticking to the plan and following the theory.

I cannot say that there is any evidence of him being any more flexible in his management strategy, but of course he may have detailed plans for the forthcoming match based on the specific threat posed by AFC Wimbledon. However, if this were so, in the difficult circumstances we are in, you would have thought that he would at least make some reference to relevant preparation to encourage the fans.   

He has a very thick skin.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 11, 2023, 11:52:21 am by ncRover »
They don’t have loanees Young-Coombes or the brilliant Azzaz playing for them this time. Al-Hamadi the striker is the only one on good form.

The relegated league one sides have been very poor, we are still the highest ranked.

Next season could see MK Dons, Cambridge and Forest Green back in League 2 so we will have to be better.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on March 11, 2023, 12:35:41 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I suspect there probs won't be much in it for the first 45 to 60.

I wanna see the outside wing backs pushing up rather than playing like full backs.

I'd like to see both Olowu and Nelson bring the ball into opposition territory more often then stay up there whilst on the attack to support the front man.

We have to turn the opposition back towards their goal more often.

After 60 mins, I don't want to see us start conceding territory, dropping deeper and deeper, unless we have a good lead to defend.

Anything will be better than Tuesday.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012